PDA

View Full Version : Team Iraq soccer plays Olympic qualifier...

Kobasew7
08-12-2004, 12:50 PM
For those with MSNBC..you can catch the team Iraq game today.. its actually in the 2nd half right now with a score of 2-2. Portugal is down a man after the ref gives a horrible red card, the player had no yellow prior, to which the very pro-Iraqi crowd started throwing bottles at the Portugal player as he exited the field.

Question is..who in the states and Canada are rooting for these guys and who is hoping for failure?

For myself, I find myself rooting for them...because of the underdog status and just because what the people have had to go through with Sadaam. But when you see thier fans throwing bottles and getting thrown out for trying to run onto the field after a ref yellow cards thier teams player.. you start realizing they may not be the best team to hope wins.

Update: Iraq scores and now leads 3-2

Displaced Flames fan
08-12-2004, 01:05 PM
How could anyone but Iranians (and obviously the Portuguese) root against Iraq?

Kobasew7
08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
4-2 final..Iraq wins. In fairness to Portugal..they didn't send thier best players and have said it's just a tune up for the Cup qualifying and will use the Olympics as a time to get lesser known players playing time.

Something I never understood...I understand the money isnt in the Olympics, its in the World Cup and the Euro. But what about national pride? or wanting to win a gold medal?