PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

Hemi-Cuda
07-23-2009, 01:31 AM
is there honestly a better show on TV right now than this? i've been a fan since the first episode, but this weeks show, Bitter Tears, is one of the best i've seen in the 5 seasons that it's been on the air. i rarely get emotional from watching TV, but i got pretty choked up watching that kid phone his mom from the boat after he got the news that his sister died. a death in the immediate family is something i can relate all too well, i'm just glad i was surrounded by family and friends when i got the news and not on a boat in the middle of nowhere

Deadliest Catch is nominated for 4 Emmys this year and i hope they take em all. it's one of the only TRUE reality shows on television

Displaced Flames fan
07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Best show on TV now and the best reality show ever.

CrusaderPi
07-23-2009, 01:37 AM
It moved into the rarefied air of 'appointment viewing' for me. The last 3 episodes have been absolutely awesome.

KevanGuy
07-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Wow, I just finished watching it on the PVR and was thinking about posting a thread about it. That was an unreal episode. I'll admit I got a bit choked up as well.

Hemi-Cuda
07-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Wow, I just finished watching it on the PVR and was thinking about posting a thread about it. That was an unreal episode. I'll admit I got a bit choked up as well.

i loved Sig on going to the frozen harbour

"What about the ice? Screw the ice, we're getting that kid home"

Regulator75
07-23-2009, 05:04 AM
I totally agree, this opilio season has been excellent viewing.
The last episode was very powerful.

The whole "crab farts" segment with Phil Harris was pretty hilarious.

Table 5
07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
A great great show....in some ways makes me want to go outside and work with my hands for a change, and in many other ways, makes me glad i work in a comfy chair inside of a nice temperature controlled environment.

Cowperson
07-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Most of the captains look like the unhealthiest, near-death people still managing to cling to life.

Considering the profession, I find that pretty funny.

Whatever happened to the captain who was coughing up blood and wouldn't get checked out? Sorry, I haven't been watching regularly.

Last summer I was watching some jet boat races in Seattle on TV and one of the Deadliest Catch boats was there, packed with bikin-clad ladies and lookin' like it was havin' a rockin' good time.

Cowperson

JiriHrdina
07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Most of the captains look like the unhealthiest, near-death people still managing to cling to life.

Considering the profession, I find that pretty funny.

Whatever happened to the captain who was coughing up blood and wouldn't get checked out? Sorry, I haven't been watching regularly.

Had some blod clots and had to miss 2 fishing seasons - the poor sap that took over for him as captain of his boat had a brutal season....so much so he retired after it.

Phil is now back at the helm - still looks like an unhealthy bugger though. And his kids are still irritating.

RW99
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Yeah, I can barely watch Phil. It's actually turned me off the show for the most part. I guess he reminds me of my dad too much :confused:

North East Goon
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
What time/day/channel is this on?

The Ditch
07-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Plus it has Mike Rowe doing the narration and he is awesome in epic proportions.

4X4
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Son of a bitch. I missed it.

Deadliest Catch is the only show on TV that I go out of my way to watch. The only one. But I'm such a terrible TV watcher that I miss it all the time. I still want to know what happened after they were all stuck at Dutch Harbour with full loads and the harbour was full of ice. Someone inform me please.

edit* Nice. It's on again today. I have stopped being a ###### and have now set my PVR to record it.

CrusaderPi
07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
What time/day/channel is this on?
Its on Discovery.

From memory it runs twice Tuesday night, Wednesday afternoon at 3 and Wednesday night at seven.
Edit: and right now, apparently. 9am on Thursday.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/deadliest-catch/EP00733129

transplant99
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Best show on TV now and the best reality show ever.

Couldnt agree more. Love it when Discovery does DC marathons...can watch episodes seen before over and over again.

That one last year when that boat the Big Valley sank and those crewmen were lost was unreal. The recounting of the story by the survivors was just one of the most fixating things i have ever seen.

Huge fan of the show.

Russic
07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Plus it has Mike Rowe doing the narration and he is awesome in epic proportions.

Everytime that new ford commercial (I think it's ford) comes on I look at my wife and say "how the hell can you not tell that's the guy from deadliest catch!?"

Regulator75
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
That one last year when that boat the Big Valley sank and those crewmen were lost was unreal. The recounting of the story by the survivors was just one of the most fixating things i have ever seen.

Big Valley sank in the first episode back in 2005. The ship capsized as it was over weighted by more than three times the amount allowed.

Very sad indeed.

Locke
07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
This show is all kinds of awesome, as is Mike Rowe. One of the few shows that I watch regularly.

mac_gurl
07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
We LOVE this show, and watch it every week. This season has been one of the best.

GreenLantern
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
is there honestly a better show on TV right now than this? i've been a fan since the first episode, but this weeks show, Bitter Tears, is one of the best i've seen in the 5 seasons that it's been on the air. i rarely get emotional from watching TV, but i got pretty choked up watching that kid phone his mom from the boat after he got the news that his sister died. a death in the immediate family is something i can relate all too well, i'm just glad i was surrounded by family and friends when i got the news and not on a boat in the middle of nowhere

Deadliest Catch is nominated for 4 Emmys this year and i hope they take em all. it's one of the only TRUE reality shows on television

It was a sad episode, but I do not think he was alone when he got the news.. those guys are pretty tight on their boats, and it doesn't take long to think of each other as family in a situation like that.

I also hope they take all the awards, great show with a non-phony feel to the cast.. unlike most other reality shows.

Locke
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Captain Phil is like the Chris Chelios of Crab Fisherman...

Cowperson
07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Guys like Phil remind me sometimes of the noble ranchers/farmers around here, leading their lives in contempt of the city folk when, in fact, they're statistically in far worse health than folks crammed in office towers and suburbs, thanks to a deliberate choice of diet and habits.

The fresh air and the great outdoors are doing nothing for Phil, who looks like death on a stick.

Let's call them "hard livin' crab fishermen."

Cowperson

Locke
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM
He drinks like a flat of Red Bull a day...that is horrible, the can even says not to drink more than 3.

Not to mention the smoking, holy hell the smoking...:eek:

JiriHrdina
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
He drinks like a flat of Red Bull a day...that is horrible, the can even says not to drink more than 3.

Not to mention the smoking, holy hell the smoking...:eek:

Depriving themselves of sleep my be the worst thing of all.

Locke
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Depriving themselves of sleep my be the worst thing of all.

Thats insane, the shifts they work. I could never handle that.

KTown
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree the best reality show on tv today

4X4
09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Attn: people that don't like NFL, but want to veg on the couch...

There's a Deadliest Catch marathon on Discovery today. Looks like it's on until 11pm.

The episode that inspired this thread is on at 7pm. I highly recommend watching it. If you don't at least get a lump in your throat, you're dead inside.

missdpuck
09-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I think Locke is the deadliest catch.

In any case, awesome show. Have you seen any of the wives? Those I've seen are gorgeous, wow.

Bagor
09-20-2009, 11:18 AM
What about the riverdancing left foot?

They should tie him to the bow of the boat and let that thing loose anytime they're in thick ice.

Who's that fella that does after the catch now?

Berger_4_
09-20-2009, 11:31 AM
No idea, but he's no Mike Rowe, that's for true!

JiriHrdina
09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
The host of After the Catch is the guy that hosts the US version of "Cash Cab". Rowe must have had a scheduling conflict not to do it.

Antithesis
09-20-2009, 12:01 PM
It's on Discovery but not Discovery HD? Or am I missing something?

Russic
09-20-2009, 12:25 PM
It's on Discovery but not Discovery HD? Or am I missing something?

I don't believe they have hd cameras filming it.

Antithesis
09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I kind of figured that after I posted that drivel.

:bag:

Hemi-Cuda
09-20-2009, 01:10 PM
The host of After the Catch is the guy that hosts the US version of "Cash Cab". Rowe must have had a scheduling conflict not to do it.

it was probably the new season of Dirty Jobs starting up that caused the conflict. that man has a busy friggen life

Hemi-Cuda
09-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't believe they have hd cameras filming it.

actually they do, it's aired in HD on the American network and i've seen repeats played on our HD channel every so often. it's the same crap as Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs, for some reasons the Americans deserve them in HD but we don't

Dion
09-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Thats insane, the shifts they work. I could never handle that.

The worst part would be trying to return to normal life off the boat with a screwed up body clock. I did shift work for a number of years and when I quit it took forever for my body clock to re adjust.

Locke
09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
This has to be the best damned show on TV. Has to be. I'm watching until I have to leave for the hockey game, its too bad that the 7 oclock episode is a really, really good one, but that timeslot is occupado today!:D

missdpuck
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Ben Bailey.

LGA
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I just watched the "Bitter Tears" Episode...holy god I was close to crying, one of the most heart wrenching moments I've ever seen...:whaa:

Dion
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Ben Bailey.

Ben Bailey is great in the Cash Cab. Shows more enthusiasm than guy doing it here in Canada. I want Direct TV in the worst way - screw the CRTC!

Dion
09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Attn: people that don't like NFL, but want to veg on the couch...

There's a Deadliest Catch marathon on Discovery today. Looks like it's on until 11pm.

The episode that inspired this thread is on at 7pm. I highly recommend watching it. If you don't at least get a lump in your throat, you're dead inside.

Thanks 4x4! Caught the episode and must admit it did bring a tear or 2 to my eyes :(

Hemi-Cuda
09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
i don't know of any other show where i could watch 5 guys sitting at a bar and bullsh*ting for an hour. i love that After The Catch is on in between seasons, makes it seem like a very short wait until new episodes

Russic
09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Dammit that was a powerful episode. Poor guy.

Hemi-Cuda
09-24-2009, 12:42 AM
i just watched the behind the scenes special for season 5, and it was just as good as any regular episode. poor Mouse, looks like that kid went through hell, though the suppository scene was great when he was staring at the pill he had to take

"Why do they....aw man..."

i also liked Phil's kids coming to check on him, "Bite down and giver hell buddy". makes you realize that these camera guys go through the same green horn hazing and initiation that the fishermen do

Locke
09-24-2009, 02:04 AM
I nicknamed a kid I coach "Mouse" and he'll never know why.

Man, that was a great episode. The cameramen go through as much hell as anyone else, if not more.

Thor
10-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I grew up with tales of Icelandic fishing fleets losing 20-30 ships in a year during North Atlantic storms in the old days, the ships are vastly improved over those days but the ocean that the sailors deal with around Iceland are still as scary as ever.

Anyhow figured fans of this show like me would like to see this crazy video of a big storm in Iceland, this is a ship near port in Vestmaneyar the small volcanic island south of Iceland.

mPBaqh3dcVM

Regulator75
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Let's hope Phil gets better!

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/01/deadliest-catch-captain-phil-harris-suffers-stroke.html

"Phil Harris suffered a stroke while in port off-loading from the F/V Cornelia Marie," Discovery Channel said in a statement. "He has been transported to a medical facility and is receiving the best care possible. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and we will make more information available as we know it."http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/phil-harris-deadliest-catch-large.jpg

drewboy12
01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I didnt read every post in this thread, but I do agree, for a reality show it actually it very good. Keeps you intrigued the whole time, dosnt get boring... Who would have thought crab fishing would be interesting to watch. What is this world coming to haha.

FurnaceFace
01-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Phil has a heart condition doesn't he? I recall last season he got taken off for a mild heart attack or something like that didn't he?

Berger_4_
01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I think he had a blood clot or something. The way he chain smokes and hammers Red Bull though it's no wonder he's having health problems.

Locke
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I think he had a blood clot or something. The way he chain smokes and hammers Red Bull though it's no wonder he's having health problems.

No kidding, dont forget the legendary volumes of coffee he consumes. Drinking like 2 pots of coffee and slamming back like a flat of Red Bull in conjunction to God-only-knows how many cigarettes....but Phil's the BEST!!:D

Regulator75
04-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Deadliest Catch Season 6 airs on Discovery (Canada) this Tuesday (April 20th) at 8:00 PM.

transplant99
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Interesting that this was bumped today...I PVR'd Larry King last night because the surviving Captains were on and talked about the show and mostly about losing Phil. It was pretty clear that he was a very well liked guy by the whole fleet and was sorely missed already.

One small tidbit about this season...Phil and Sig decided to knock their young guys down a notch before Phil died, and traded Jake for Jake just to learn 'em a lesson about how the "grass isnt always greener" as Sig put it.

Should be a terrific season for many reasons, and quite the pull on the heartstrings.

Locke
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
This season is going to be great!

I bought the previous seasons on DVD and I'm going through them in order because its too hard for me to catch the show in order. Great stuff.

Locke
04-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Also, did they get Mike Rowe back?

Hemi-Cuda
04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Deadliest Catch Season 6 airs on Discovery (Canada) this Tuesday (April 20th) at 8:00 PM.

but not in HD. goddamn that pisses me off, we have a full Discovery HD channel that shows repeat after repeat, but for some reason we don't get the best Discovery shows on there unlike the American channel

Russic
04-18-2010, 08:04 PM
but not in HD. goddamn that pisses me off, we have a full Discovery HD channel that shows repeat after repeat, but for some reason we don't get the best Discovery shows on there unlike the American channel

Stupid question time ... Is it filmed in HD?
ah I see that it is. Strange decision not to broadcast it.

Regulator75
04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, it will be in HD later on this year. I just can't wait that long.

It's one of the few shows I can actually watch in SD.

Dan02
04-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Man Phil, looked like he was on his deathbed before they even started the season

Locke
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
That was a great Episode. Gotta love Phil stepping in ready to sort out everyone.

Thor
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Great episode, its already very sad to know whats coming for Phil.

Hemi-Cuda
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
damn it's strange seeing Phil and knowing it's his last trip. hearing him saying he wouldn't trade crab fishing for anything in the world was pretty powerful knowing that. but damn, the production values for this show compared to the first few seasons are incredible, they've gone from documentary filmmakers to story tellers. and now that the entire fishing fleet knows if they get something good on film (like the camera phone filming the rescue) it's likely to be on the show, i bet we'll see a lot more incredible stuff caught on camera

Hemi-Cuda
08-11-2010, 01:08 AM
so i just finished watching all of season 6, and i have to say that this was probably the most powerful TV series i've ever watched. you have to really feel for the two Harris kids, and even more so for Northwestern Jake. first his sister dies last year, then his father goes missing and never returns, and then the man who treated him like a son dies. and all of that happening while he's on a crab boat away from family and friends, he's been through hell these last couple of seasons

Ducay
08-11-2010, 09:22 AM
so i just finished watching all of season 6, and i have to say that this was probably the most powerful TV series i've ever watched. you have to really feel for the two Harris kids, and even more so for Northwestern Jake. first his sister dies last year, then his father goes missing and never returns, and then the man who treated him like a son dies. and all of that happening while he's on a crab boat away from family and friends, he's been through hell these last couple of seasons

I think it was a great season. Discovery lucked out with so much drama just being fed to them. However, you could tell the whole Time Bandit 'search for a captain' junk was contrived.

bluejays
09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Bump.

3 captains (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_deadliest) leaving the show due to contractual dispute.

Ducay
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I really tired of the Hillstands' doochness in the last couple seasons. Only person I'll miss watching from the Time Bandit is Mike, rest of those guys are a-holes.

Slava
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
^ That is bad news! I follow Jonathan Hillstrand on twitter and hadn't seen any mention of this.

It looks like they're losing the best captains on the show from a "story" perspective at this point.

Hemi-Cuda
09-29-2010, 09:00 AM
no Sig, no Phil, no Time Bandit, the show is pretty much done now. i'm not gonna tune in to watch Keith on the Wizard be the star attraction, he always seemed like the little bitch of the group

Regulator75
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Dude, that sucks.

Ducay
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't mind more Wizard, they have an engaging crew.

Now the Kodiak......those guys rank right up there with the Time Bandit

Locke
09-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Now the Kodiak......those guys rank right up there with the Time Bandit

Wow, no Sig? That sucks.

cKy
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
They should just end the show. Phil and the Hillstrands were the best ones to watch.

Keith and the Wizard can get stuffed, they drag the show down IMO. The show shouldve died with Phil - it would've been fitting.

Gundo
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Thats sucks big time. The Time Bandit was far and away the most entertaining part of that show.

Here is Ctpn.Keith in a nut shell, say something intellectual, get angry and flex you boss muscles for 3 minutes, talk about how you need to stop doing chew then have some sort of emotional breakdown and cry and repeat for the last 5 seasons.

Ducay
09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Thats sucks big time. The Time Bandit was far and away the most entertaining part of that show.

Here is Ctpn.Keith in a nut shell, say something intellectual, get angry and flex you boss muscles for 3 minutes, talk about how you need to stop doing chew then have some sort of emotional breakdown and cry and repeat for the last 5 seasons.

a) Perfect assessment of Kieth! However, you forgot to include yelling at Mouse in your list.

b) Im moreso a fan of the rest of the Wizard's crew (Mouse, Lenny, Crosby, Lynn).

c) Time Bandit was enraging to watch. The guys were 95% d-bags, 5% fun to watch. I spent the entire last season cringing at how rude and annoying that whole family is.

d) Northwestern was going to suck anyway without Edgar. Sig was only tolerable with the balance brought by Edgar. I'll miss watching Jake's journey though.

Regulator75
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/10/deadliest_catch_news_sig_hanse.html

The news is a tad old, but Captains Sig Hansen, Johnathan And Andy Hillstrand Will Return To 'Deadiest Catch' season 7.

transplant99
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Bump of this thread as the new season begins tonight. Lots of changes of course because of the death of Captain Phil and other things.

Still no definitive news on Jake Andersons missing father though it sounds like it is a homocide. Here is a somewhat recent report from a Seattle TV station.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Deadliest-Catch-deckhand-missing-father-118865659.html

Also of note is that Freddy from the F/V Cornelia Marie has jumped ship to the Wizard. All the Hillstrands are back as are the Hansens and Colburns and last years newbie the Kodiak. Two new boats and crews are also featured this season.

CaptainCrunch
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
There was an excellent article in this months Maxim where one of their reporters spent times on shore and on the boats with these guys.

Of course I only read Maxim for the pictures.

Hemi-Cuda
04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Bump of this thread as the new season begins tonight. Lots of changes of course because of the death of Captain Phil and other things.

Still no definitive news on Jake Andersons missing father though it sounds like it is a homocide. Here is a somewhat recent report from a Seattle TV station.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Deadliest-Catch-deckhand-missing-father-118865659.html

Also of note is that Freddy from the F/V Cornelia Marie has jumped ship to the Wizard. All the Hillstrands are back as are the Hansens and Colburns and last years newbie the Kodiak. Two new boats and crews are also featured this season.

so who captains the Cornelia Marie? it would be poetic for one of Phil's sons to take charge but i doubt they have the necessary experience

Madman
04-12-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm guessing it's starting on Discovery US only tonight?

Regulator75
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Yup.

April 19th debut in Canada.

transplant99
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
so who captains the Cornelia Marie? it would be poetic for one of Phil's sons to take charge but i doubt they have the necessary experience

Not sure of the guys name, but its an old friend of Phils that worked with him about 10 years ago.

Yeah sorry...its on in the States tonight, no idea bout North of the 49th.

Sainters7
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I really tired of the Hillstands' doochness in the last couple seasons. Only person I'll miss watching from the Time Bandit is Mike, rest of those guys are a-holes.

I'm gonna have to give this show another chance. Because I've only watched it a couple times and this was pretty much my impression of it. All the guys they were covering just seemed like dicks, I couldn't get into it as I didn't give a rip about them. I'm pretty sure it was Time Bandit too, prob just a bad day to tune in. Everything I hear is that this show is gripping so I'm gonna have to give er another go I think.

MrMastodonFarm
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah sorry...its on in the States tonight, no idea bout North of the 49th.

One week behind for Canada, the 19th.

The 17th is just a best of season 6 thing.

Regulator75
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Yes you are correct, the 19th.

Flacker
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Are the rubes at Discovery Canada going to show this in HD on Discovery World HD or similar?

If not I will be watching the US releases from less than legitimate sources. Why would I wait a week to enjoy it in SD?:mad:

transplant99
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna have to give this show another chance. Because I've only watched it a couple times and this was pretty much my impression of it. All the guys they were covering just seemed like dicks, I couldn't get into it as I didn't give a rip about them. I'm pretty sure it was Time Bandit too, prob just a bad day to tune in. Everything I hear is that this show is gripping so I'm gonna have to give er another go I think.

maybe its because I have watched this thing from its inception and witnessed how the approach has changed from year 1 til now, but IMO its simply the most gripping and raw TV ever to hit the airwaves.

One has to remember that if you are just tuning in at some random point that these guys could be in a 3 week run living in a space the size of a hotel room with one another, little sleep, miserable conditions etc etc...and you see the predictable results of such.

To me Discovery figured things out pretty much after 1 season. Where this series started as a show about crab fisherman searching for their fortune and willing to risk their lives to do so, it quickly became apparent that was only the secondary part of what they were catching on film. It then became obout the human side of things and the stories each guy takes out on the water with them. The raw emotions of everything involved, culminated into what it then became...a true reality show that left nothing on the cutting room floor that mattered to either the participants or the viewers.

Its a formula that many others have tried to replicate on various channels ever since with a myriad of ideas and have never come close.

MrMastodonFarm
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Are the rubes at Discovery Canada going to show this in HD on Discovery World HD or similar?:

Nope... once again HD will be late on arrival in Canada... so lame.

Locke
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Just a bump, this is today.

Anyone know what happened with the contract dispute between the boats and Discovery?

Madman
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Just a bump, this is today.

Anyone know what happened with the contract dispute between the boats and Discovery?
All settled.

http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b204777_deadliest_catch_captains_back_onboard.html

Locke
04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm looking forward to the new season, this is the only show I make an effort to watch.

They picked a great tune by Johnny Cash for the trailer.

trumpethead
04-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I miss Capt. Phil. 2 packs of smokes & a 12 RedBulls per day. The opposite of good clean living.

Regulator75
04-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Bump (mods please move to the food and entertainment thread)

New season starts this Tuesday (April 16th).

Wooo!

Dion
04-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Elliott Neese Will Return to Deadliest Catch for "Redemption"

Deadliest Catch fans wondered whether Elliott Neese had thrown in the towel for good earlier this week, after the Ramblin' Rose captain was conspicuously absent (http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/deadliest-catch-star-missing-elliott-neese-absent-in-season-9-promo-2013124) in a season 9 promo for the Discovery Channel series. But the polarizing figure is indeed ready for a comeback, the show's executive producer David Pritikin assured Us Weekly (http://www.usmagazine.com/) on Friday, April 12. "Elliott Neese does return this season," Pritikin confirmed.

"This is redemption time, really. People either love him or love to hate him. He comes back as the youngest boat owner or captain in the fleet," the producer continued.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/elliott-neese-will-return-to-deadliest-catch-for-redemption-2013134

Dion
04-15-2013, 07:14 AM
New details revealed about upcoming season of "Deadliest Catch"

The show will continue with the captains searching for crab through rough conditions in the Bering Sea, but during the next season, there will be a notable focus on strife between the show’s members.
Hansen added: “When you’ve got guys that are hungry, that’s when things get nasty, that’s when the gloves are off — especially when you’ve got experienced and inexperienced people playing in the same sandbox. That’s when it’s a war.”

“While the skippers wage war for crab supremacy, the youth seek opportunity. Time Bandit deckhand Josh Harris attempts to keep his father’s fishing legacy alive, while on the Northwestern, both Edgar Hanson and Jake Anderson’s quest for a captain’s chair becomes closer to reality,” reads a release from Discovery.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/14044-deadliest-catch-star-missing-father-needs-to-be-found/

Displaced Flames fan
04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Elliott Neese Will Return to Deadliest Catch for "Redemption"

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/elliott-neese-will-return-to-deadliest-catch-for-redemption-2013134

He's a punk. Absolultely can't stand him....or understand him.

GoinAllTheWay
04-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Great news! This has been one of our favourite reality shows for some time. Along with Yukon Gold and Ice Pilots. Fantastic shows. Highway thru Hell was also pretty good.

I'm surprised to say this but I miss Shipping Wars. Thought that show was going to be junk but it's quite good. The ladies are smoking hot as well.

Mazrim
04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Was the season premiere really just a recap of last season? We thought we recorded the wrong thing.

MrMastodonFarm
04-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Canada gets it a week after the States. Been that way since the start I think, always a week behind.

Regulator75
04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Canada gets it a week after the States. Been that way since the start I think, always a week behind.

Not this season.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446809/episodes?season=9&ref_=tt_eps_sn_9

MrMastodonFarm
04-17-2013, 08:49 AM
How come Mutiny on the Bering Sea is on next week and not last night then?

Regulator75
04-17-2013, 09:22 AM
How come Mutiny on the Bering Sea is on next week and not last night then?

Hmmm odd, what was last nights episode called?

Regulator75
04-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Looks like you were right, they are a week behind (as always).
I thought my PVR messed up and didn't record it, so I watched it via other means.

Then it recorded the 2 hour previous season highlights in the afternoon.

Regulator75
04-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Bump.

New Season starts tomorrow on Discovery Canada (already a week behind the US premier).

dino7c
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
hate that we are a week behind in Canada, I couldn't wait so got it online last week

great show

Gundo
04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
I actually got to meet Sig Hansen in Seattle three years ago. Really nice guy kinda caught me off gaurd.

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/funny-pictures-auto-432088.jpeg

Regulator75
08-11-2015, 10:09 AM
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/11/tony-lara-dead-deadliest-catch-captain-dies

Tony Lara, a ship captain who appeared on Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch, died in Sturgis, South Dakota, on Saturday. He was 50.

Police told the Associated Press that Lara died at a private home in Sturgis and that they are waiting on autopsy results to determine a cause of death.

Lara appeared in six episodes of Deadliest Catch as the captain of the crab-fishing ship Cornelia Marie. The Cornelia Marie’s former captain, Phil Harris, passed away after suffering a stroke in 2010.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL-AuGzUcAALrMD.jpg

Locke
08-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Uh oh. Thats sad. And Josh is totally screwed without him.

JiriHrdina
08-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Uh oh. Thats sad. And Josh is totally screwed without him.

The guy helping Josh now is Casey, not this guy.
This guy was a deckhand and took over as captain briefly.

CaptainCrunch
08-13-2015, 09:11 AM
That's really sad, that's almost a cursed boat.

you never hear about the Harris brother that left the show while fighting drug problems.

Regulator75
03-03-2016, 07:23 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/entertainment/deadliest-catch-captain-sig-hansen-hospitalized/index.html?sr=fbCNN030316dead

The fiercest captain on TV is in a hospital bed.

Sig Hansen is recovering after suffering a medical scare at sea. His show, "The Deadliest Catch," was filming for an upcoming season when the 49-year-old experienced chest pains.

Madman
03-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Weird, when you smoke 432 darts a day your body starts to not be happy.

CaptainCrunch
03-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Yeah, That's true.

And he's not the fiercest Captain, he's probably the nicest and most rational Captain of the lot.

Keith is a complete animal.

Locke
03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Weird, when you smoke 432 darts a day your body starts to not be happy.

Really? No way!

I would consider Sig to be the best character on the show though.

TheAlpineOracle
03-03-2016, 02:32 PM
When does it start back up again? Seems like it's been awhile and we should be due for a new season soon.

Dion
03-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Medical car: Mandy Hansen shared a photo of Sig Hansen recovering in a hospital bed with wife June, after the Deadliest Catch star was air-lifted to Anchorage after collapsing at sea

http://i.imgur.com/2X4XVeR.jpg

cKy
03-03-2016, 02:51 PM
When does it start back up again? Seems like it's been awhile and we should be due for a new season soon.

April 13th if you believe their website. April 20th for you legal non-americans.

CaptainCrunch
03-29-2016, 10:31 AM
I think it starts up on Discovery Canada tonight.

Dion
03-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Two hour season premiere on April 5th.

Regulator75
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM
The first 3 episodes have been pretty good.

Madman
04-15-2016, 07:28 AM
The first 3 episodes have been pretty good.

Yeah, another good season so far with some really good story lines besides the fishing.

What a terrible captain Jake is though, "please don't do this, please, please, please.......BLOOD SPEWING RAGE......sorry, sorry, please, please". I don't think he has it mentally to be a good captain.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Yeah, another good season so far with some really good story lines besides the fishing.

What a terrible captain Jake is though, "please don't do this, please, please, please.......BLOOD SPEWING RAGE......sorry, sorry, please, please". I don't think he has it mentally to be a good captain.

Its funny because he served under one of the better trainer captains in the fleet. The two captains that really get it are Sig and Wild Bill, though Wild Bill is a bit more extreme.

In the last episode when his crew was bitching about the new deck hand, he was sitting there stating that they weren't trying to work with the kid to fix the problems. Then he lost it when he found out the kid had lied about warrants.

Somehow I think that Jake learned how to operate a boat but didn't pay attention to how to operate people, and its going to kill him on that boat, Sig was right to question why he was out painting the boat instead of getting his crew to do it. It goes to this misguided concept that these guys are going to roll up their sleeves and follow Jake's example, it doesn't work that way, these deck workers on that fleet with some exception are pure mercenaries, they're there to make a lot of money fast, and they respect the captains that make that happen.

I almost feel bad for Keith though, reality fake or not, when they're interviewing him right now he just looks like a broken man, I think this season is angling towards a few big events.

I think Wild Bill is coming to an end, he's been talking retirement for a while. We know about Sig's health problems, and I have a feeling that Keith is going to have some problems.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Oh and the only captain worse then Jake right now is Josh, that guy is worthless, He's totally useless on that boat that could function with Casey as the captain.

Locke
04-15-2016, 11:46 AM
If that kid, y'know, goes out crabbing to, y'know, the Bering Sea, y'know, and does another interview, y'know, where every third word, y'know, is, y'know, I'm gunna, y'know, have to, y'know, beat him to death with, y'know, his own internal organs. Y'know?

Dan02
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
crazy this is like the 12th season and I still don't miss a episode.

Locke
04-15-2016, 11:51 AM
crazy this is like the 12th season and I still don't miss a episode.

As a tax accountant I kind of identify with them to a degree, you've got a job to do and a limited amount of time to do it in. Go.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 02:03 PM
It blows me a way that they sell crab for $8 a pound. The average King weight 8 pounds. A good pot has 80 to 100 crabs in it.

So each pot is 50 to 6000 dollars.

And the smaller boats are bringing in 100,000 pounds on a load.

Its crazy

Locke
04-15-2016, 02:09 PM
It blows me a way that they sell crab for $8 a pound. The average King weight 8 pounds. A good pot has 80 to 100 crabs in it.

So each pot is 50 to 6000 dollars.

And the smaller boats are bringing in 100,000 pounds on a load.

Its crazy

Peoples loves them their crabs.

Dion
04-15-2016, 02:12 PM
#1 on my bucket list is going crab fishing on the Bering sea on Sig Hansens boat. People think i'm nuts but to me that would be an experience of a life time. Filling the bait for 12-14 hours straight and getting abuse the whole time because i'm not keeping up. Getting sea sick due to the constant rolling waves. Walking off the boat in the end with a check for 40 grand and thinking i'll never do that again!

Locke
04-15-2016, 02:20 PM
#1 on my bucket list is going crab fishing on the Bering sea on Sig Hansens boat. People think i'm nuts but to me that would be an experience of a life time. Filling the bait for 12-14 hours straight and getting abuse the whole time because i'm not keeping up. Getting sea sick due to the constant rolling waves. Walking off the boat in the end with a check for 40 grand and thinking i'll never do that again!

Yes. You're insane. You would never walk off that boat they'd maroon you in the Bering Sea until you floated to Russia.

I harbor no illusions, I could never do that work. Never, ever, ever.

I deal with people in all walks of life and some jobs take that certain something special, like I could never be a truck driver. I could drive a truck but that doesnt mean I could be a truck driver.

I would not be able to hack it as a Crab Fisherman. Not a chance in hell.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 02:23 PM

I think you should totally do it. They could probably charge people to do the green horn job.

Just watching that show, they just grind those poor guys to pieces, that kid last year that got the hand infection in the first couple of days was beaten down without mercy.

Its funny because I don't know if you remember the first season, where they showed the end of the derby system where boats didn't have quotas, there was a universal quota, so you basically filled your boat as many times as you could in a set period of time, winner take all. Boats got rich and boats went bankrupt in a 3 month period. But it made the job so incredibly dangerous that they had to change it because boats and crews were cutting corner in the name of speed.

Locke
04-15-2016, 02:25 PM
I think you should totally do it. They could probably charge people to do the green horn job.

Just watching that show, they just grind those poor guys to pieces, that kid last year that got the hand infection in the first couple of days was beaten down without mercy.

Its funny because I don't know if you remember the first season, where they showed the end of the derby system where boats didn't have quotas, there was a universal quota, so you basically filled your boat as many times as you could in a set period of time, winner take all. Boats got rich and boats went bankrupt in a 3 month period. But it made the job so incredibly dangerous that they had to change it because boats and crews were cutting corner in the name of speed.

That was so cool. Just pure anarchy. I cant believe they thought that would end any way other than how it did.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 02:27 PM
yeah there were boats sinking that year and bursting into flames because of poor maintenance.

The Derby system was really where a boat like the Time Bandit made its reputation because it's a bigger boat, and those brothers just plain know where the lobster is.

I think that Sig was the only one that was happy to see the end of the Derby system because it was so unsafe.

Regulator75
04-15-2016, 02:52 PM
The Derby system was really where a boat like the Time Bandit made its reputation because it's a bigger boat, and those brothers just plain know where the lobster is.

You mean crab?

Dion
04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Yes. You're insane. You would never walk off that boat they'd maroon you in the Bering Sea until you floated to Russia.

I harbor no illusions, I could never do that work. Never, ever, ever.

I deal with people in all walks of life and some jobs take that certain something special, like I could never be a truck driver. I could drive a truck but that doesnt mean I could be a truck driver.

I would not be able to hack it as a Crab Fisherman. Not a chance in hell.

Of course i'm insane but so are the people that try to make a living crab fishing on the Bering sea. Dispite all the dangers they keep going back year after year. A part of me wants to experience the madness that drives them to do what they do.

I have no illusions and expect every minute would be the worst minute of my life. I might last a day but that's it. Chances are they stuff me in a crab pot with another greenhorn and feed me to the crabs at the bottom of the sea.

I have this vision of Hell and it must be on a crab boat in the Bering sea. To me if there is a God and he's going to send me to Hell i'd like to have some knowladge and experience of where i'm going :D

Reaper
04-15-2016, 03:08 PM
As a tax accountant I kind of identify with them to a degree, you've got a job to do and a limited amount of time to do it in. Go.Like when you're just about to finish up a tax return and then your office capsizes and you drown?

Nufy
04-15-2016, 03:10 PM

I can get you a job in NL working for an inshore fisherman...

Same weather...smaller boat.

Wanna be a Coldwater Cowboy ??

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 03:33 PM
You mean crab?

Yeah, I suddenly had a craving for lobster.

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Like when you're just about to finish up a tax return and then your office capsizes and you drown?

Ok, for some reason, that's the funniest thing I've read all day because it actually created an image in my head.

Locke
04-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Like when you're just about to finish up a tax return and then your office capsizes and you drown?

Hey man, that happens more often than you think. 'Deadliest Taxes' is in pre-production, I've even got Mike Rowe on board.

Reaper
04-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Hey man, that happens more often than you think. 'Deadliest Taxes' is in pre-production, I've even got Mike Rowe on board."A web series? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!"

CaptainCrunch
04-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Hey man, that happens more often than you think. 'Deadliest Taxes' is in pre-production, I've even got Mike Rowe on board.

On this episode Locke yells at greenhorn office assistant Mandy Hansen and absolutely nobody is surprised.

Meanshile 2 blocks away at the 17th ave starbucks (sonar sound) . . . .

Locke
04-15-2016, 04:05 PM
"A web series? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!"

Naw man, its all good, I'm on the cutting edge of production, I've even got local celebrities lined up like 'Cooter' from Holy Smoke, my local sign guy and the crazy Asian man that I think does nothing but walk laps around my building for no discernible purpose.

GoinAllTheWay
04-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Its funny because he served under one of the better trainer captains in the fleet. The two captains that really get it are Sig and Wild Bill, though Wild Bill is a bit more extreme.

They are all head cases to a degree.

"Wild Bill" pisses me off though, that guy is way to much. Last season when that guy had a massive hand infection and he acts like the guy is being a wimp about it. That was a pretty serious infection. Granted, it was the guys fault for wearing gloves with holes in them but seriously......

And if a green horn just can't cut it and wants to leave at the end of the trip he'll start saying stuff like "you'll regret this for the rest of your life!". He just thinks way too much of himself. With the failure rate of greenhorns, you'd think he'd be used to it but holy christ does he take it personally when they can't hack it. I really don't like him.

Sig can be a bit of a hypocrite. Josh and Jake are effin useless but at least Jake is trying to do it himself and not bringing a crutch and has the best chance to make it IMO. Now that Josh sold off his majority share to pay for upgrades, I really don't know why the current owners would even keep him on the boat. He brings nothing to the table. Not as a captain anyways.

The Hillstrand brothers are my favourite captains.

Locke
04-20-2016, 03:17 PM
That is one thing I hate, wheel-watch.

Here, do this insanely boring job after working 20 hours of ridiculously grueling work. Oh, and dont fall asleep.

CaptainCrunch
04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
That is one thing I hate, wheel-watch.

Here, do this insanely boring job after working 20 hours of ridiculously grueling work. Oh, and dont fall asleep.

I remember watching one show last year, and I think it was Sig, but they were pulling the all nighter, and he's in the wheel house after about 20 hours, and the lights are out so he can see out, and the heaters turned on and you just see him going down for the count.

Last nights episode was good and it showed how much of an idiot Josh is.

dino7c
04-20-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't understand why they air it in Canada later than in the US...I simply can't wait they are just begging me to find it elsewhere

can you imagine if walking dead or GOT did this?

Regulator75
11-15-2016, 09:52 AM
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/everett-police-investigating-reported-assault-of-deadliest-catch-cast-member-jake-harris/

The Everett Police Department is investigating the reported assault and robbery of Jake Harris, a cast member on the reality TV series “Deadliest Catch.”

“On Saturday at 8 p.m., we received a report of a male victim of an assault. He had been injured in an altercation,” said Aaron Snell, a police spokesman.

The Everett Herald reported that Harris had just left the Quil Ceda Creek Casino and got into a car with multiple people, according to police. They drove south and got onto Highway 526 in south Everett, and at some point there was an altercation in the car, the news outlet said.

Police found the man in the 700 block of Highway 526 after a passer-by called 911, Snell said.

The medicinal properties of turmeric | The People's Pharmacy
Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.
“At the scene, he was conscious, alert and answering questions,” Snell said.

Snell said the man refused medical attention and was taken home by police.

“He was later taken to the hospital by friends or family members,” Snell said. Harris remains hospitalized.

A Providence Regional Medical Center spokeswoman said Harris was in “satisfactory condition.”

CaptainCrunch
11-15-2016, 09:55 AM
It also looks like the Cornelia Marie won't be on the show anymore.

So I guess except for this the Harris family story is over.

Dion
11-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Captain Josh Harris issued a statement on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CorneliaMarie/?hc_ref=SEARCH) Friday announcing his departure from Deadliest Catch. He’s been on the all 12 seasons. He emphasized that the decision isn’t his but that of the producers and owners of the hit reality show. He was adamant that this had nothing to do with money disputes or anything like that.

Excerpts from his statement are published below.
“The Cornelia Marie and her crew are making their way out to the fishing grounds today. We do not have a camera crew aboard this king crab season. This was not our decision, and it was not made by the owners nor the captains of the Cornelia. This was not a dispute over money, this was simply a decision made by production Discovery. They have creative control over pretty much everything that airs on Deadliest Catch, and we respect that.”
The captain continued that he and the crew of the Cornelia Marie will miss the camera crew and inviting viewers into their world of crabbing. Harris expressed his heartfelt appreciation to fans for their outpouring of support; they’ve witnessed some of the best days of his life and the worst day of his life.

iTech Post reports that there were rumors Josh Harris had spats (http://www.itechpost.com/articles/41931/20161016/deadliest-catch-season-13-news-updates-spoilers.htm) with Deadliest Catch producers and his co-stars. Salary is believed to be another factor in Harris’ departure, but none of this has been confirmed. Discovery has yet to issue a statement or address the captain’s impending absence from the show.

Other rumors suggest that Harris and his crew didn’t bring the drama other captains had on the show. Captain Sig Hansen’s heart attack was the peak of last season’s drama. Captain Jake Anderson delivered some over-the-top drama with his outbursts in his first season as a captain at the helm of the F/V Saga. Captain Keith Colburn was adjusting to life after his long marriage ended. Captain Wild Bill Wichrowski butted heads with his son, Zack, and it culminated in a father-son confrontation by the time the Season 12 finale aired.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3605060/deadliest-catch-captain-yanked-off-the-show-star-not-interested-in-fighting-to-stay-on-series/

CaptainCrunch
06-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Captain Keith's illness revealed as a serious bacterial infection in his back

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/deadliest-catch-captain-miss-season-due-bacterial-infection-spine-040129705.html