PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Make Leukemia Their B!$@h?

Mike F
08-11-2004, 04:25 PM
More exciting news from the world of science:

"Researchers have discovered cells that continually replenish leukemia tumors. Killing these infinitely renewing cells could be key to halting the disease"

"Isolating these so-called cancer stem cells paves the way for creation of drugs to target them. Specifically destroying leukemia's stem cells -- the source of the cancer -- could eliminate the disease better than treatments that randomly kill cancer cells"

As with many such studies, it once again reopens the embryonic stem cell debate:

"The promise of this line of research can only be realized, Weissman said, by studying adult stem cells as well as embryonic stem cells, which are controversial because an early embryo is destroyed when researchers remove stem cells from it. While in this study volunteers could provide samples, that won't be the case for all types of disease. An alternative is to take the stem cells from embryos that carry a genetic defect for specific diseases."

"'There are whole areas of tissues you can't get at, but which human embryonic stem cells almost certainly will develop daily,' Weissman said"

FlamesAddiction
08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll be surprised if there is ever a "cure".

The real money is in treatment.

ChipOne
08-12-2004, 08:44 AM
FA: sick but true.

this is one of those things where you hope the people working on the cure either have the disease or love someone who's dying for it. at least then you stand a chance in getting the cure out.

looooob
08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm not as skeptical as either of you guys

there are alot of people working towards cancer 'cures' not just treatment (all money aside, alot of us --including scienticists if you want to be cynical about it--will get this bugger disease, so people are plenty motivated)

anyways cancer of course, even of the same organ system, is not one disease but many

but I think the basic biology of cancer does make it eventually more 'curable' that alot of other diseases that are out there

I have zero idea on time line, but I would wager that many cancers will indeed be curable, possibly even in our lifetime