PDA

View Full Version : Water Softener Unit

Meelapo
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey there!

I'm finding the water in my house a bit too hard and I was interested in purchasing a water softener for my place. Anyone know the best place to purchase one as well as have it installed. I'm not to good with advanced plumbing installs so I would love it if someone who knows what they are doing could install it. Also maybe recommendations on the type of unit to use (one person in the house with expansion to a few more in the near future).

Thanks!

ricosuave
05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I would also like to know more on this

Bean
05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I got mine through Acclaim Plumbing (his name is Steve) when we moved in. You'll have to look him up in the book as I don't have the number but he did a great job with my R.O. system and the Water Softener System.

He was clean, presentable and came prepared. I would definitely use him again for any other plumbing issue I may have in the future.

Shazam
05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
If you have PEX, installing a water softener is ludicrously easy.

Fleck > Culligan & Kinetico (ripoff of Fleck, but very expensive) > everything else.

Meelapo
05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
If you have PEX, installing a water softener is ludicrously easy.

Fleck > Culligan & Kinetico (ripoff of Fleck, but very expensive) > everything else.

Is PEX the type of plumbing? Is it this:

http://www.plasticpipe.com.cn/Pex-pipe/SU-pex-pipe2.jpg

If so, then yes, I do have PEX. My house was built about 1.5 years ago and this is what the pipes look like that are against the wall in the basement. Can you elaborate on how having this type of system in the house makes it easy to install? Thanks!

Shazam
05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
PEX is very easy to manipulate. You cut it with a... PEX cutter, and attach pieces with brass fittings, collars and a crimper. Very easy to do.

Your house's water supply should split off into at least three main pipes very close to the source - kitchen water, outside water and everything else. The water softener is placed for "everything else". You basically cut out a section, put the water softener in... There should be a receptable close by as well.