PDA

View Full Version : Believing In Hell Has Its Benefits!

Cheese
07-29-2004, 08:06 AM
"In countries where large percentages of the population believe in hell, there seems to be less corruption and a higher standard of living," the St. Louis Fed said in its July quarterly review. "

So its true....the Government uses the Church to scare us into working?

Its Hell to be prosperous (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&e=6&u=/nm/20040728/od_nm/hell_dc)

Cowperson
07-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by GerryCheevers@Jul 29 2004, 02:06 PM
"In countries where large percentages of the population believe in hell, there seems to be less corruption and a higher standard of living," the St. Louis Fed said in its July quarterly review. "

Its Hell to be prosperous (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&e=6&u=/nm/20040728/od_nm/hell_dc)
Doesn't every major religion have a punishment mechanism: ie: "hell."? :o

Just asking.

Cowperson

Cheese
07-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Cowperson+Jul 29 2004, 09:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Jul 29 2004, 09:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GerryCheevers@Jul 29 2004, 02:06 PM

Doesn't every major religion have a punishment mechanism: ie: "hell."? :o

Just asking.

Cowperson [/b][/quote]
I dont think the Budhists do Cow. Thats about the only one I can think of.

octothorp
07-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Just goes to show what I've believed all along. Most people are really morally corrupt, and when their actions are actually moral, it's usually because of some sort of rewards/punishment system. That's why I like atheists--when you see a kind, generous atheist, you know it's because he's really kind and generious; he isn't doing it out of a sense that he has to in order to get into heaven or stay out of hell.

And yes, there is a buddhist hell, but there are a lot of different interpretations depending on the tradition.

Lanny_MacDonald
07-29-2004, 10:43 AM
So by believing that Edmonton does exist it makes me a better person? How about if I wish it didn't exist? What impact does that have on the equation???

<_<

peter12
07-29-2004, 10:46 AM
That's why I like atheists--when you see a kind, generous atheist, you know it's because he's really kind and generious

Thats definitely a good point. Religion is very strange. The actual faith of say Christianity would actually be a great thing for humanity. Same with Islam. But there are so many nuts and whackos out there.

dangler22
07-29-2004, 10:51 AM
I definitely do not believe in Hell but I can see the benefit of it. It keeps people in check. The thing that irks me is that many people who believe in heaven and hell sure don't act like it. They would probably be the first ones to go to such a place (hell that is).

icarus
07-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by GerryCheevers@Jul 29 2004, 02:21 PM
I would consider getting reincarnated as a sea cucumber hell.

MolsonInBothHands
07-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by icarus+Jul 29 2004, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (icarus @ Jul 29 2004, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GerryCheevers@Jul 29 2004, 02:21 PM
I would consider getting reincarnated as a sea cucumber hell. [/b][/quote]
I don't know... it sounds like a pretty relaxing lifestyle... no bills, no getting kids off to school, no nine to five.

B)

EDIT: Not to mention, how could you possibly sin enough as a sea cucumber to get demoted down the heavenly corporate ladder? I wonder how many people believe in god, but not hell.

Vulcan
07-30-2004, 06:27 AM
My personal belief is heaven and hell are right here on earth or closer to home inside each of us. Socrates said "know thy self" and I try to follow his advice. The possibility of experiencing a taste of heaven right now intrigues me and hell becomes something I don't have to consider. What happens when I die? I guess I'll trust in god and find out then. I don't know anyone who has died and came back. Near death experiences are just that "near death".