PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good plumber

Teh_Bandwagoner
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
My rental property currently has a leak in the copper piping under my bathroom and over my kitchen. I orignally hired Mr. Rooter to come and take a look at it. They told me it was a leak in my toilet flange, which used to be the old steel flange. He replaced it with a new flange, and had the bathroom tiled, which helped the bathroom leak, but there's still a leak in the copper piping over the kitchen by the bathroom.

I don't trust Mr. Rooter anymore because
a) there's still a leak, and
b) they screwed up the flange install the first time, which caused large amounts of water to leak below into the kitchen. They fixed and dried that for free, but I still don't trust them to do the job properly.

Is there anyone here who is or knows of a trustworthy plumber I could contact? Thanks!

Eddie Bronze
03-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I know a great guy who has done a ton of work for buddies of mine who were getting basement developments done. I don't have his number myself but will get it for you tomorrow.

Teh_Bandwagoner
04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Still looking for a plumber if you know of any contacts.

4X4
04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't call Streamline Plumbing. Worst plumbing company ever.

If you're interested in an old guy that's a jack of all trades, pm me for his contact info. He'll talk your ear off about how your plumbing is screwed, but he'll fix it and charge you an honest fee. And if there's anything else screwey in your house, chances are that he'll be able to fix that too. And if, for some reason, he can't fix the leak, he'll decline the job and likely not charge you for coming out and having a look.

droopydrew19
04-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Pm sent

Teh_Bandwagoner
04-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna stick with my original plumber for now, in case I can get the work under the warranty for the previous work. If that doesn't work, then I'll give the other contacts a shout.

woob
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd bump this old one. Looking for a good, honest plumber who doesn't charge an 'assessment fee' to come out and look at the job before he fixes it. Please feel free to PM me info or suggest someone.

Thanks!!

Bagor
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm not PMing nor do I live in Calgary but just throwing in my 0.02cents as someone that's dealt (is that a word) with a few good ones and a few chancers. Beware of the chancers.

1st question is what is the job?

woob
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Chancers?
Replace outside tap, possible hot water tank swap (or it could just be a tap replacement), and kitchen sink plumbing leak.

Bagor
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Chancers?
Replace outside tap, possible hot water tank swap (or it could just be a tap replacement), and kitchen sink plumbing leak.
Plenty of handymen out there posing and charging the same rates as plumbers.

I had one fella show up once, was listed in the yellow pages under plumbers. I recognised him as the fella that worked the plumbing aisle at my local home depot.

CMPunk
05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Looking for someone to put in a new hot water tank in for us. Anyone?

SeeGeeWhy
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I need someone to come in and cap a vent and unclog a tub in a basement suite, any recommendations?

Otherwise I will be calling the usual suspects.

Crazy Flamer
08-13-2009, 01:24 PM
So I have a leak under my kitchen sink and I'm not quite sure where it's coming from. Anyone here a plumber and could come take a look?

Ironhorse
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I am also in need of a proper plumber to do a couple of small jobs. I need a laundry sink tied in to a drain (Y has to be turned) and taps added. I also have a slight leak in one of my Pex(?) tee connections, and have a dryer gas connection that needs to be extended a bit.

Shazam
08-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Need one too to install a garburator, install a water line to the fridge and take a look at a couple of toilets that don't flush too well.

Ducay
08-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Need one as well.
Need gas line run to new stove, new double sink vanity plumbed

Ironhorse
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The silence is deafening.

Anyone? Bueller?

FurnaceFace
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
We're renoing our bathrooms and the plumbing company our GC is using seems really good. I've been happy with the work they've done so far, rerouting lines and doing the rough in. The job looks neat and clean so far...the plumber even rescued our cat who someone else let out of the house so he's all aces.

I don't remember the name of the company off hand, but I'll check if we have it at home.

Olao32
09-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Shazam
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
So Clearview came over yesterday, they're a TOTAL RIPOFF. Their prices are beyond insane - they wanted over $500 to install a garburator. I told the guy I'd think about it, and he got all desperate and offered 20% off the prices, and offered to install our new kitchen faucet for free. Yeesh.

JBR
09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
The plumber we used to get all of our reno's completed was Doug's Plumbing. He's in the Yellow Pages. Newfie with an attitude but good rates, especially if you use the word "ca$h".. Good work also. Make sure to quote based on job, not per hour because he does like to talk a lot..

Shazam
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
So I phone Doug's, he's coming tomorrow, we'll see how much he'll charge. Said it would take him about 1.5 hours to install a garburator and run a water line to the fridge.

Also phoned Pete the Plumber, they charge $59 for the service call, $49/half hour for work. They also said it would be about 1.5 hours for that work. Parts are always included in that rate.

Also phoned Price-Rite plumbing, they charge $50 for the service call, $90/hr for work. Parts are extra. Also said about 1.5 hours for that work.

The Clearview loser said he'd take about SIX hours for those two things. How they stay in business is beyond me.

Ducay
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Keep us posted who you end up with

Shazam
09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
So Doug just left and installed my garburator and water line. Charged $275 cash, so in line (if a little bit more) with everybody else. Took about 1.5 hours just like he said.

VladtheImpaler
09-25-2009, 04:09 PM
What's the contact info for this Doug? I need a leaky connection under the kitchen faucet fixed. I managed the garburator myself, but the leak cannot be conquered... Thanks.

Ducay
10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Any other recommendations?

FurnaceFace
10-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Chinook plumbing is who is doing our bathroom reno. I like their work. No idea if they do service calls.

Scrambler
12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Bump, I need a plumber too.

My tenants wrote an email to me today with this message:

"...something happend to the shower. Basically, you turn on the water out of the tap and it flows out the shower head at the same time. When you pull the tab to just turn on the shower head it fully flows out of the tap and trickles out of the shower head, leaving you standing in a half full bath tub of scalding hot water and a trickle on your head. I am not sure how to go about it as I assume the water for the whole building needs to be turned off when a plumber comes??"

Anyone with any ides or knows someone who might have an idea?

Thanks!!

Ace
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Obligatory, Bump, why don't plumbers like the flames?

I-Hate-Hulse
09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Bump, I need a plumber too.

My tenants wrote an email to me today with this message:

"...something happend to the shower. Basically, you turn on the water out of the tap and it flows out the shower head at the same time. When you pull the tab to just turn on the shower head it fully flows out of the tap and trickles out of the shower head, leaving you standing in a half full bath tub of scalding hot water and a trickle on your head. I am not sure how to go about it as I assume the water for the whole building needs to be turned off when a plumber comes??"

Anyone with any ides or knows someone who might have an idea?

Thanks!!

Sounds like something with the diverter valve. Hopefully it's something like a blockage or something fixable otherwise it'll have to come out of the wall and be replaced. That gets expensive if re-tiling is necessary.

I think you'll need to call one of these absentee Flames hating plumbers that don't seem to frequent CP.

I've had to call Pete the Plumber instead and while they were on time and did decent work, they were expensive as hell. $50 call out charge is a big part of that.

albertGQ
10-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Can someone pm me the phone number for Doug?
I need a plumber too now

Russic
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Holy hell, should've been a plumber. You know the drill. Bump.

ah123
06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Holy hell, should've been a plumber. You know the drill. Bump.

Sent you a PM

Old Yeller
10-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Ugh... looking for a plumber for a friend who has a water heater leaking from the bottom.

Any recommendations or PMs welcome thx.

cam_wmh
02-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm a newb. I have a clogged toilet pipe. I used these thicker napkins for cleaning, and flushed em like a doofus.

I've tried that liquid plumber stuff, and plunger. It's flushed about 10 times in the last couple days, but takes about a few hours to drain to just a tiny bit of water showing -- never completely dry.

Help?

Ace
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
^I think you need this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Homeowner-Toilet-Auger-BC40030/100621924?N=5yc1vZbqoe

postman56
03-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Need a new Hotwater Tank installed, any suggestions on who to use. I see a few have recommended Doug?