PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Horse found

Ro
08-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Anyone have any advice for me?

I've run Norton, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Scandisk, restarted a bunch of times, windows update is current, but I cannot quarantine this thing or delete it. Every time I run the Norton scan, it tells me that it cannot be deleted.

The infected file is iexplore.exe. Does this mean I should delete IE and re-install?

Thanks for the help.

looooob
08-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Ro@Aug 10 2004, 12:45 PM

I've run Norton, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Scandisk, restarted a bunch of times, windows update is current, but I cannot quarantine this thing or delete it. Every time I run the Norton scan, it tells me that it cannot be deleted.

The infected file is iexplore.exe. Does this mean I should delete IE and re-install?

Thanks for the help.
ok, I know jacksquat about computers, but what I ended up doing when I had a similar problem was just ultimately re-setting my system settings back to an earlier date before I acquired said problem

then I jacked up my security, starting running off Mozilla and I"ve had no problems since

I'm sure this isn't the right way to do it, but it's worked for me

Frank the Tank
08-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Buy a Mac :lol:

KevanGuy
08-10-2004, 12:50 PM
The following is what is recommended by Symantec for similar problems...

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as (whatever the trojan name is).
Delete the value that was added to the registry.

EDIT: Here is an example...Symantec Security Response (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.startpage.g.html)

Ro
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Will try and let know what happened I will.

???
08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
i dont know squat about this but know a guy who does it for a living. he said go with monzilla cause right now IE is so out dated {couple years old i think} that all the holes in it make it a magnet for virus and such. Hes loosing his mind at work with IE cause anyweb page can add spywear, hijackers and what not. somehow they just add some execute fuction to the end of the email adress. bah someone who knows this crap can probably explain it.

photon
08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Heh, it's Mozilla, not monzilla ^_^

And interestingly enough, there have been more vulnerabilities found for that than IE over the past few weeks! :blink:

I tend to agree though, I recommend Firefox over IE.

For those who want to stay with IE, make sure and keep up to date with the latest patches from Windows Update

kermitology
08-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by photon@Aug 10 2004, 01:14 PM
Heh, it's Mozilla, not monzilla ^_^

And interestingly enough, there have been more vulnerabilities found for that than IE over the past few weeks! :blink:
Yes, but Mozilla was quick enough to fix the problem right away with a patch and new version of the browser.

???
08-10-2004, 01:56 PM
when will MS release a new version of IE? seems like its about time. and can anyone explain why IE is not open source? seems like the way to go, from my computer challenged view point.

Tron_fdc
08-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Ro@Aug 10 2004, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the help.
Format your hard drive, it's the only way to be absolutely sure you'll get rid of all that crap. I do mine twice a year, and it helps keep all the garbage off my machine and the memory running properly.

Make a CD with all the files you want to keep, then slap in your XP CD, and press format. It takes a while to reload all your programs, but if you keep an inventory of stuff eDonkey donated, it's pretty easy to do.

Yellefan
08-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by plett22+Aug 10 2004, 03:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plett22 @ Aug 10 2004, 03:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ro@Aug 10 2004, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the help.
Format your hard drive, it's the only way to be absolutely sure you'll get rid of all that crap. I do mine twice a year, and it helps keep all the garbage off my machine and the memory running properly.

Make a CD with all the files you want to keep, then slap in your XP CD, and press format. It takes a while to reload all your programs, but if you keep an inventory of stuff eDonkey donated, it's pretty easy to do. [/b][/quote]
Yep, I too format regularly-- makes for a much more stable system overall in my opinion.

greerb
08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank@Aug 10 2004, 11:50 AM
Damb you, you beat me to it. I second that motion.

BlackArcher101
08-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by greerb+Aug 10 2004, 10:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greerb @ Aug 10 2004, 10:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Frank the Tank@Aug 10 2004, 11:50 AM
Damb you, you beat me to it. I second that motion. [/b][/quote]
Did you know that Linux is now the 2nd most popular OS, surpassing Mac's just last week.

Just a little tidbit.

Lanny_MacDonald
08-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Which Trojan is it?

Wolfwood
08-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Umm... you may want to try a free anti virus program like avg and see if you can get rid of it with that.

But it would be useful to know the name of the trojan.