PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drive big rigs?

metallicat
08-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I have to get my Alberta Class 3 license if I want to keep my job for the winter, so I signed up for lessons and today was my first. This is going to be a stressful week!! I can drive a manual transmission car, but I have never double clutched in my life which is needed for these damn rigs. I am missing gears left and right, LOL! I have my road test in four days...I think I will be OK with two hours driving per night. Anyone here who drives rigs or 15-speeds have any tips for me that the instructor might not offer?

calf
08-09-2004, 06:54 PM
I hear that if you stop cheering for the oilers things turn out just fine :lol:

but seriously, I know nothing about that stuff. Good luck though.

What exactly is double-clutching?

BlackArcher101
08-09-2004, 06:56 PM
What kind of job do you have that requires a Class 3 for winter?

metallicat
08-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I work for the city right now, and if I stay on for the winter, I can drive a sanding truck. You know, all those trucks that put the crap on the roads to rust out our vehicles.

metallicat
08-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Double-clutching is putting the clutch in two remove the shifter from gear, and then you clutch in again to shift into a new gear. Not a good explanation, sorry.

BlackArcher101
08-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Ah okay, thought it was along the lines of labourer. I worked for the highway maintenance companies and the only way I could stay on for the winter was I get my class 3 and drive a plow/sanding truck. I said no way. The accident stories I heard scared me. Now, a city sanding truck is different.... smaller too.

Now, I can say I didn't drive a tandem before (legally that is). Shifting takes a little while to get used to... but focus more on being aware of your surroundings and actual driving skills. The guys I worked with were still grinding gears after 20 years, but what get's you hired are the skills/lack of accidents.

metallicat
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
The good thing, is that all the city sanding trucks are automatics. This is the only week I will ever have to use a standard, unless of course I get a job elsewhere. This isn't my future, but for right now it's a stable job.

Man, I don't think I would want to be driving on the highways all the time. I would be constantly worried about hitting the ditch.

BlackArcher101
08-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by oilers_fan@Aug 9 2004, 09:10 PM
The good thing, is that all the city sanding trucks are automatics. This is the only week I will ever have to use a standard, unless of course I get a job elsewhere. This isn't my future, but for right now it's a stable job.

Man, I don't think I would want to be driving on the highways all the time. I would be constantly worried about hitting the ditch.
Automatics? You got nothing to worry about then!

Actually, funny that you mention being worried about hitting the ditch. Most of the accidents on the highway involve the sanding/plow truck dipping a tire into the ditch and flipping.

metallicat
08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I have nothing to worry about for the job, but I still have to pass my road test on a standard!!

I think some of our sanding routes do involve highways, or at least roads with ditches...what are the chances that those are given to the rookies? LOL.

BlackArcher101
08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by oilers_fan@Aug 9 2004, 10:13 PM
I have nothing to worry about for the job, but I still have to pass my road test on a standard!!

I think some of our sanding routes do involve highways, or at least roads with ditches...what are the chances that those are given to the rookies? LOL.
Well, if they find out your an oilers fan, then they'll probably give you the most difficult route.

Otherwise, from what I've been through, they want you to get your class 3 so they can call you if the need arises. Perhaps you won't be driving a sanding truck at all, but still doing regular routine maintenance.

greerb
08-09-2004, 09:07 PM
I drive a vac truck, class 3 as well. remember the #400. Most trucks have shipt that range, 1900-1500 to up-shift and 1500-1900 to down-shift. I am actually thinking to get my class 1 so I can drive long haul, the oilfield wears a person down.

metallicat
08-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101+Aug 9 2004, 09:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackArcher101 @ Aug 9 2004, 09:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-oilers_fan@Aug 9 2004, 10:13 PM

Well, if they find out your an oilers fan, then they'll probably give you the most difficult route.

Otherwise, from what I've been through, they want you to get your class 3 so they can call you if the need arises. Perhaps you won't be driving a sanding truck at all, but still doing regular routine maintenance. [/b][/quote]
You are 100% correct. Chances are good that even if I get to stay on, I will be able to count the number of times I drive a sander on one hand.

metallicat
08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by greerb@Aug 9 2004, 09:07 PM
I drive a vac truck, class 3 as well. remember the #400. Most trucks have shipt that range, 1900-1500 to up-shift and 1500-1900 to down-shift. I am actually thinking to get my class 1 so I can drive long haul, the oilfield wears a person down.
Yeah 400, I learned that tonight. Pretty effective if I can do it properly.

Would your company pay for your class 1? Either way, that would be a great thing to have.

greerb
08-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by oilers_fan+Aug 9 2004, 08:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oilers_fan @ Aug 9 2004, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-greerb@Aug 9 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah 400, I learned that tonight. Pretty effective if I can do it properly.

Would your company pay for your class 1? Either way, that would be a great thing to have. [/b][/quote]
Unfortunatly no, If I get laid off for a few months I'm sure the govern ment would though through EI.

It's quite easy. I don't even double clutch anymore, in time you will find it easier not to even use the clutch at all. I'm sure you won't have any problem. What are you driving? 9, 10, 13, 18 speed?

metallicat
08-10-2004, 03:25 PM
15 speed. I am heading out in about 45 minutes, I will let you know how I do today.

metallicat
08-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Just got back, and I did a whole lot better. Thanks for the tip with the 400 RPM, I tried to focus on that and it worked great.

greerb
08-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Sweet, listen closely to the sound of the engine too so you don't always have to look at the tack when you shift. It will get alot easier once you are familliar with the truck. Keep us informed.

TimSJ
08-11-2004, 06:31 AM
i have my class 3 and am going for my class one this fall jsut to have it...

double clutching is a pain in the butt.but it does become second nature

Gugstanley
08-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Greerb has good advice. Don't get to bothered early on. Just takes some practice. I prefer to not use the clutch also.

metallicat
08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Talking to guys at work, it sounds like my instructor isn't teaching me properly. I only have 4 more hours of lessons, and I haven't even been out in traffic yet. My road test is this Friday, and I am a little concerned about it. I am going to give it my all tonight and see what happens.

metallicat
08-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Didn't drive in traffic once again tonight, but I am more confident, and now feel I can pass the road test on Friday. Will see how it goes tomorrow!!

timsj, good luck with your class 1. I agree in that it would be a good thing to have.

BlackArcher101
08-11-2004, 08:25 PM
I don't know about you, but if my first time driving in traffic was my road test, I'd be screwed.

metallicat
08-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I have one more day of lessons, I should have clarified. Tomorrow I will be in traffic, and then Friday for one hour in traffic. I also do the road test on Friday. We dry-ran the test route today with him in the drivers seat, and it goes right past Rexall Place...I think that is where my inspiration is going to come from. :P

greerb
08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
AAAAAAAAA........Your insparation, just don't be like the oilers and come up short in the end.

Just kidding.

Make sure you get a good sleep the night before the test. Trust me it helps if you are rested up and calm.

metallicat
08-13-2004, 10:03 PM
I passed my road test!!

I was extremely nervous for some reason, and thought that a couple of mistakes that I made would have been enough for a fail, but they weren't, and I couldn't be happier. I still have to write the written test, but that shouldn't be too hard. Now I can relax!

greerb
08-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Good job. In Sasaktchewan the Raod comes after the writen and is harder too.