PDA

View Full Version : Possible Employment Help

nickerjones
04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Hey Puckers,

As most you of you know i live in the states. My wife is from Calgary and we go to visit , mostly around Christmas. I live in Branson , Missouri and both my wife and I have jobs that depend on the tourist economy. My wife dances in a show and I sell timeshares. This year we were thinking we would spend 3 months ( the Branson off season) in Calgary. The only problem is i would need to have a job during that time. I have talked to a couple of Canadian Immigration Attorneys and it looks like i have to a job lined out to even apply for a Visa. Apparently there is some sort of process the employer and employee have to go through to make this happen. There is a certain Immigration Attorney on this board that said they would help us/me out in this situation. I am only writing here just because i have been writing here for a little while and have met many friendly people, and because the lawyer said i should start pretty soon.

Anyway if this works out I will be in Calgary the middle of December - the end of February. I am 26 and a very dependable person. I am currently working on finishing my degree in Secondary Education. I also currently sell timeshare. I have worked in sales for the last 3 or 4 years. Ideally I would like to get a job in sales, marketing, or customer service. My dad owns a construction company so i did that growing up. I must admit though that i am horrible at it, my father and brother are incredible at it but i got the short end of the stick. I always played 4 sports a season and my dad said keep playing sports cause your horrible at construction. I am just putting that out there, as i most likely will not turn down a job but i don't want to be a burden on anyone's business either.

I appreciate all of your help. If need be I will be in Calgary the week of July 20 - July 27 for my wedding. If you needed to meet with me or something maybe we could work out something then. I am already married ( have been for a year march 26) but a lot of her family didn't get to come so we are having another ceremony. Just PM me if you can be of assistance

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. GO FLAMES GO take the cup!!:D

Temporary_User
04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi Nick.

First off, we're simply known as Puckers. Not all of us as you know, reside in Calgary. :)

Second of all, I am no immigration attorney, nor officer, nor nothing really regarding immigration/emigration. I myself however have dual citizenship, and know a few people have have made the move across borders. I'm unsure as of who you have talked to already, but they might have told you that the process will become a lot easier once you are married (its true).
As of right now you might be finding yourself stuck in a sort of catch-22. You need to get a job here before you can actually be able to legally work here, and no one will hire you, because you're unable to legally work up here.
Many companies don't really like to hire people for only 3 months (although some do), so possibly keep that in mind and simply forget to mention it on interviews.

nickerjones
04-05-2008, 12:24 AM
No sir i am already married. We got married March 26, 2007. We are just having a Canadian wedding , i guess its more of a vow renewal for her canadian family that didnt make it to our actual wedding in July. Im not looking for citizenship. We will still live and work in Branson but she is wanting to spend more time with her family during the off season and it is only possible if i find a job working in Calgary. I am looking for a temporary job, although if it works out and i find i like the job, my wife and I have discusses relocating to Calgary at some point in our future. And about the not mentioning it in interviews, thats a possibility but i figured i could be open and honest to CP lol :D

Anyway sorry if my huge diatribe up there confuses people. I am just looking for a temporary job. Since I am married to Canadian citizen but do not have residence there i have to obtain a work permit and that is only obtainable if i have an employer already, as the employer has to go through a process to be able to hire me. ANy more questions feel free to ask

-nick

edit: greeting fixed =)