PDA

View Full Version : Rogers / Fido annouce new way to scam customers. I mean a new unlimited data plan.

photon
02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Rogers $7 Plan: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-plans/essentials?content10=unlimited_ondevice_mobile#sta rt
Rogers $20 Value Pack: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-plans/essentials?content10=20_comm#start
Fido $7 Plan: http://fido.ca/portal/en/domore/sdp_options.shtml
Fido $20 Value Pack: http://fido.ca/portal/en/packages/value_packs.shtml

Sounds great right? Read the small print. Restricted to Rogers or Fido branded phones that are non-PDA, non-Blackberry, non-Windows Mobile, and non-PC cards. DOES NOT work for unlocked phones, windows mobile phones, PDAs, Blackberrys, etc. You must use the built-in browser of your Rogers or Fido branded phone. So no IM, no google maps app, no games...

Supposedly it's enforced by detecting the IMEI of your phone to see whether the phone you are using is a Rogers or Fido branded phone and whether it is a Windows Mobile, PC-Card, Blackberry, or PDA device.

Is this the groundwork for the iPhone? Or is it just to try to respond to Telus and Bell. At least with Telus you can get a real device like the HTC Touch, instead of being limited to the crappy phone browser.

Bobblehead
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I was strongly considering switching to Fido/Rogers with an unlocked phone when my current Telus contract ends. I want to be able to upload any ringtone/wallpaper/game/application I want without being required to pay my provider for the privilege of doing what my hardware was designed to do.

But with crap like this, perhaps I'll look at Virgin's new plans and stay basic. Or even dump the cellphone - its OK if you can't reach me 100% of the time.

5 cents per KB!!!!

Download the CP banner http://forum.calgarypuck.com/images/calpuck/cplogo.gif that is 9.43KB - 47 cents, please and thank you.

SarichFan
02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Fido is brutal.. I pre-paid $200 because I didn't want to be on a contract. I asked when I signed up whether or not i'd get a bill once that was used up, I was told No...

3 months late I get a bill.. and I have to pay it or it'll screw with my credit.

They really enjoy taking your balls, and putting them in a vice.

FlamesKickAss
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I have an unlocked phone with rogers and I have the $20 plan and it works, well after i had to enter in the internet and wap settings to be able to send picture messages.

jamesteterenko
02-05-2008, 03:51 PM
But with crap like this, perhaps I'll look at Virgin's new plans and stay basic.

That's what I do. I pay less than $10/month. Not that I use it a lot. Actually, I get money carried over every month because I never use it all up.

HotHotHeat
02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Funny (somewhat related) story,

I called Telus last night to put a family member on their $15/month unlimited Data plan they've been offering. It's actually a no strings attached, no nonsense plan that I signed up for a couple weeks ago...I'm beside myself happy to be on it. Only rule is your PDA/blackberry cannot be used to 'tether' ...aka use as a modem for a laptop. After getting on the line with a CSR and explaining my request, she tells me the plan has been REVOKED by corporate HQ. WHAT?!!?? They FINALLY offer a data plan up to par with the rest of the world, and then scrap it!? My god.

The CSR told me they had around 8 times the average amount of new subscriptions during the time the plan was on. I asked her to rationalize Telus' decision, and she couldn't. The monopoly Canadian Telecom companies have is, among other things, outrageous.

Telus did say they would continue to honor the contracts of people that signed up for the plan while it was offered.

A bit of speculation regarding the OP: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/05/rogers_unlimited_data_plan_an_inroad_for_iphone_in _canada.html

ken0042
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
The CSR told me they had around 8 times the average amount of new subscriptions during the time the plan was on. I asked her to rationalize Telus' decision, and she couldn't.

I think I can understand it if there was 8 times the normal subscriptions. All it would take is several medium sized companies with 100 blackberries each to switch from a $100+ plan to the $15 plan. All of a sudden Telus would see their profits going out the window.

Not saying I like it, but I do understand the business side of it.

photon
02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Or with the increase in subscriptions they saw their network would quickly not be able to handle the load?

browna
02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Before you go blindly off onr Telus, they have new plans as of Monday, but they are now $15 for unlimted email and IM (like before, but no browsing) or $30 with the same plus unlimited browsing (I think).

Not sure why there was that $15 window with unadvertised browsing (I got in last month) but it wouldn't matter corporate wise. The promo was only on BIS (personal) accounts, not BES (Blackberry's hooked into a coporate network).

As to why the $15 with unadvertised browsing (so basically all data) was dumped and replaced, its my guess is that it had to do with Telus's billing system not being able to differentiate data...email from data, up until Feb.

Telus wanted the unlimited email promo for the busy Christmas rush and to match Bell's $7 plan on one device, so they put it on 2 devices for Christmas...and then exteneded that unlimited data with unadvertised browsing, to all data devices for a month afterwards...and, they're billing system saw it all as data, so browsing automatically came with the unlimted email, due to their system limitation.

Now I assume they have their billing system updated, so it can tell between what is email data, and what is application (browser) data, and can thus charge $15 and $30 respectfully.

HotHotHeat
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Interesting post Browna. It makes sense actually. I was not informed of their new plans being rolled out, $30 is still reasonable IMO.

Burninator
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I was hoping to buy an iPhone in a couple weeks when I am down in the US and $30 is steep. That's getting pretty close to what you pay for home internet which uses way more bandwidth. I know it's different technology, but still.

kermitology
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I was hoping to buy an iPhone in a couple weeks when I am down in the US and $30 is steep. That's getting pretty close to what you pay for home internet which uses way more bandwidth. I know it's different technology, but still.

I'd still recommend it for use at home.. I use the wireless a tonne!

llama64
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking I'll avoid getting a so called "smart phone" until the Canadian market stops being anti-consumer. The mobility company's are essentially robbing us blind for service that is considered subpar in many other places in the world.

Hopefully some competition will startup soon and provide a viable alternative.

Burninator
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd still recommend it for use at home.. I use the wireless a tonne!
What exactly do you use it at home for? Too lazy to get off the couch? CP while on the can? Cause that sounds like a great idea.

metallicat
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Is it possible to get, and use a grey market cell phone subscription from the US?

Fobby
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
It is possible to use a cell phone subscription from the US. I have a sprint phone with Canada Roaming and Unlimited data while I am in the state. but my WM6 phone is just a phone with PDA functionality in Canada unless you want to pay $0.002/byte.........

I do use the wireless feature at home also. Slingbox on my smart phone is teh only way to ensure that I won't miss any of the game.

kermitology
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
What exactly do you use it at home for? Too lazy to get off the couch? CP while on the can? Cause that sounds like a great idea.

Yeah.. mostly. Google maps to where ever I have to go, get the directions and go, e-mail when I don't want to grab my laptop, CP, facebook, the nhl live scoreboard worked really good the other night, almost exactly in time with the game on TV and it views perfectly on the iPhone.

anyonebutedmonton
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM

I have a US bought iPhone and I signed up for the rogers 20$ plan... works so far... I keep calling them to make sure that what i'm using is infact covered.

photon
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Others are saying that this $20 plan will NOT cover iPhone, since it's not a WAP browser and not a Rogers phone. They're likely charging you 5 cents a KB even if their stupid CSRs say not, so make sure and get it in writing from them or something to cover your butt when the bill comes.

Or if it IS covered, then that's huge news and iPhone sales in Canada are about to increase 10 fold :D

anyonebutedmonton
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I sure as hell am not going to tell them what kind of phone I am using... i phoned 4 times yesterday to make sure... and all 4 CSR's told me that the data Im using is covered... I may phone today to get it in writing though. Ill keep you guys posted on whether or not it works.

Tyler
02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
So Roger's would know if I had an iPhone right?

photon
02-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I sure as hell am not going to tell them what kind of phone I am using... i phoned 4 times yesterday to make sure... and all 4 CSR's told me that the data Im using is covered... I may phone today to get it in writing though. Ill keep you guys posted on whether or not it works.

You don't have to tell them, they know what kind of phone you are using.

That's the small print of that $20 plan, it has to be browser traffic from a Rogers phone through the built in WAP browser.

They can tell the phone from the IMEI, and which browser from the browser itself; it send out info identifying itself whenever a page is requested. So on the iPhone the browser constantly says to pages requested "Hi, I'm iPhone Safari".

I'll be hugely surprised if you aren't being charged 5cents / KB

photon
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM

For sure, they know by the IMEI # in each phone. The only way to get around that is to clone the IMEI or something which I'm sure is either illegal or at the very least will get you booted off their network.

photon
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Another example of this was when Fido had unlimited data plan for the Hiptop devices.. people took their SIM and put it in other phones to try and get the unlimited data, but the network detected that it wasn't a Hiptop by the IMEI and were charged normal data rates.

anyonebutedmonton
02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Im using a device called turbosim with my phone. I called this afternoon and they have made a note on my account that I have inquired about the data and that what I am using is covered. That being said Im very interested in seeing my bill... Ive entered a WAP setting in the phone so maybe thats whats causing it to look like a WAP browser...

Bobblehead
02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
The fine print is a bit vague.
The option is available on selected handsets only (non-Fido certified handsets,Windows Mobile devices and PC cards are not eligible)

A couple things, are only phones purchased from Fido "Fido certified"? What does "Fido certified" mean?

And does this mean "non-Fido certified handsets, non-Fido certified Windows Mobile devices and non-Fido certified PC cards are not eligible"
or does it mean "non-Fido certified handsets, any Windows Mobile devices and any PC cards are not eligible" ?

There seems to be a grey area, but not one I would be willing to risk thousands of dollars in bandwidth fees to find out what the real meaning might be. But maybe this is legalese they can pull out to cover their behinds in the event a network upgrade disables a phone, or someone uses a phone to hack wi-fi.

Mango
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Fido will be adding PDAs to their line-up shortly (apparently, at the end of Q1). Their new phones and PDAs include: Nokia 6555, Samsung SGH-e747, Motorola Q9h, Samsung SGH-i616, Motorola ROKR U9, and the Sony Ericsson Z750i.

I wish Fido didn't have such a love-in with Motorola and although the Moto Q9 looks great, I'd never buy a Motorola again.

photon
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
A couple things, are only phones purchased from Fido "Fido certified"? What does "Fido certified" mean?

The guys on howardsforums seem to think it just means they check to see if the phone came from Fido, they check it's unique IMEI against their database. So an unlocked Fido phone would work, but an unlocked phone not purchased from Fido wouldn't. That's the speculation anyway.

And does this mean "non-Fido certified handsets, non-Fido certified Windows Mobile devices and non-Fido certified PC cards are not eligible"
or does it mean "non-Fido certified handsets, any Windows Mobile devices and any PC cards are not eligible" ?

The latter, otherwise you'd be able to get the existing Windows Mobile devices that they've sold into the program, and most people have been turned down from what I read (though people are saying they've had success getting the E62 on?).

TheyCallMeBruce
02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Fido will be adding PDAs to their line-up shortly (apparently, at the end of Q1). Their new phones and PDAs include: Nokia 6555, Samsung SGH-e747, Motorola Q9h, Samsung SGH-i616, Motorola ROKR U9, and the Sony Ericsson Z750i.

I wish Fido didn't have such a love-in with Motorola and although the Moto Q9 looks great, I'd never buy a Motorola again.

People are gonna be disappointed by the next wave of Fido devices. the Q9's hardware engine is sloooooooooooooow. The only decent ones I'd say are the samsungs.

Oh, and the 6555 enjoys turning off by itself...and dialing by itself. It's great!

Jing
02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
The 7 dollar unlimited browser is WAP browsing, not actual http browsing...as in its 5 years late on rogers behalf

Jing
02-08-2008, 06:36 PM

I believe they do whenever you surf the internet with it now with the new IMEI tracking system they have.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-08-2008, 06:38 PM
For sure, they know by the IMEI # in each phone. The only way to get around that is to clone the IMEI or something which I'm sure is either illegal or at the very least will get you booted off their network.

There's that, but they don't really need the IMEI to identify your phone. The User Agent will do nicely, since in the UA string, the identity of your phone is spelled out.

photon
02-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, that's probably even easier.

Mango
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
People are gonna be disappointed by the next wave of Fido devices. the Q9's hardware engine is sloooooooooooooow.

That really is disappointing. I was seriously considering getting the Q9, but I'll avoid it now. I currently have a Nokia N70. It's a great phone, but I find it is slow as well. I'm a bit Nokia fan, and I'd like to go to a Nokia PDA but there aren't many available. If I get an un-locked model, I wouldn't be able to benefit from web browsing anyway. Frustrating!

Virgin is going to post-paid in the next few months and I'm curious to see what their lineup is going to be like. I've heard they will not be having a system access fee. Hopefully, other providers will follow suit.

photon
02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
No system access fee, I wonder how they're going to pull that off?? Virgin is just an MVNO for Bell, so they must still pay Bell the system access fee.

Bobblehead
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
And now Ars Technica is examining Rogers' plan (and agreeing Photon - Photon, did you tip off Ars?)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080211-rogers-unlimited-data-plan-not-so-unlimited-after-all.html

photon
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
lol, well I do play a lot of TF2 with the ARS clan :D

Interesting thing from the discussion thread though, they're saying that the iPhone is coming to Canada on Bell after a 3G version of the iPhone is released.

Bobblehead
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
lol, well I do play a lot of TF2 with the ARS clan :D

Interesting thing from the discussion thread though, they're saying that the iPhone is coming to Canada on Bell after a 3G version of the iPhone is released.

I thought is was going to be Rogers simply because of GSM. I haven't followed the iPhone for a while, has it been released to CDMA carriers overseas?

photon
02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Not yet, speculation is this spring, but who knows for sure.

RW99
02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I was without tv, internet, anything for a day. I used my cell to Bluetooth me some CP. Loaded like 6 pages and over $100.00 later on my cell bill..... :D

bradster57
02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Rogers 'unlimited' cellphone plans draw fire

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/02/11/tech-rogers.html?ref=rss

algernon
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Question time!

If I purchased an iPhone, would I be able to use it unhindered on the Telus ($30) data plan?

Thanks.

ah123
02-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Question time!

If I purchased an iPhone, would I be able to use it unhindered on the Telus ($30) data plan?

Thanks.

The current incarnation of the iPhone can only be used on Rogers in Canada (iPhone uses GSM and Rogers is the only GSM provider in Canada, Telus and Bell phones use CDMA protocol)

algernon
02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks! Is it going to stay that way for awhile? (the network situation)

photon
02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Until either Apple makes a CDMA version of the iPhone (probably a matter of when not if) or another carrier deploys a GSM network in Canada (far more unlikely) yeah that'll be the situation.

Speculation is that there'll be a CDMA version of the iPhone in Canada on Bell, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

algernon
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I see... thanks.

Burninator
02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
iPhone will work on Fido as well (which uses Rogers towers).

Bobblehead
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
iPhone will work on Fido as well (which uses Rogers towers).

Yeah, but as Photon pointed out, the iPhone is not a Rogers or Fido phone, so you can't take advantage of those "unlimited" packages.

kermitology
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Until either Apple makes a CDMA version of the iPhone (probably a matter of when not if) or another carrier deploys a GSM network in Canada (far more unlikely) yeah that'll be the situation.

Speculation is that there'll be a CDMA version of the iPhone in Canada on Bell, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

But if Apple came out with a CDMA version of the phone it wouldn't be able to just work on Telus or Bell unless they sold it right? I haven't used a CDMA phone in a while but it uses the ESN of the phone or something right?

photon
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Correct, they'd have to actually sell the phone otherwise they wouldn't allow it on their network, no SIM cards like GSM has.

anyonebutedmonton
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
You don't have to tell them, they know what kind of phone you are using.

That's the small print of that $20 plan, it has to be browser traffic from a Rogers phone through the built in WAP browser.

They can tell the phone from the IMEI, and which browser from the browser itself; it send out info identifying itself whenever a page is requested. So on the iPhone the browser constantly says to pages requested "Hi, I'm iPhone Safari".

I'll be hugely surprised if you aren't being charged 5cents / KB

Update: >70 mb used.... $0

I don't know how it worked but it did

HotHotHeat
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Update: >70 mb used.... $0

I don't know how it worked but it did

So I'm getting an iPhone.

photon
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Hm, interesting. I read somewhere that it may take a few months for them to catch up with it, but this makes me more interested in getting an iPhone.

You can get them refurb for $249 from AT&T right now too if you know someone in the US. Hm....

bluejays
03-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I "heard" it's not only on the iPhone, but also with Blackberrys, if you install Opra, you can surf the net for free too. But AnythingButEdmonton, damn, 70 MB's to take the risk?? Imagine what you'd do if you were actually were billed for it? If my calculations are correct 1000 kb = 1 MB and at $0.05/kb, you just dodged a $3,500 bullet. Nice!

TheyCallMeBruce
03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I "heard" it's not only on the iPhone, but also with Blackberrys, if you install Opra, you can surf the net for free too. But AnythingButEdmonton, damn, 70 MB's to take the risk?? Imagine what you'd do if you were actually were billed for it? If my calculations are correct 1000 kb = 1 MB and at $0.05/kb, you just dodged a $3,500 bullet. Nice!

Beware of Opera. It's ok to surf using opera mini if you don't intent to hit a lot of wap sites, but if you do, opera mini often tends to return a user agent string of Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini; en; U; ssr). I know this doesn't mean anything to you, but some wap sites require a device user agent to recognize the device you are using. Of course, this does not affect web browsing at all, only if you intent to use on some wap environments.

Jing
03-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Hm, interesting. I read somewhere that it may take a few months for them to catch up with it, but this makes me more interested in getting an iPhone.

You can get them refurb for $249 from AT&T right now too if you know someone in the US. Hm....

I have heard this too. I would be very wary, and wait a few months. For those brave people who are testing it out, dont be surprised if you see a huge bill coming in the coming months.

anyonebutedmonton
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM

I figured it would be harder for them to charge me if I went big. Plus i had called the CSR's every day for the first week to make sure what I was using is covered. They made a note on my account that I had checked with them so I wasnt too worried.

Jing
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I figured it would be harder for them to charge me if I went big. Plus i had called the CSR's every day for the first week to make sure what I was using is covered. They made a note on my account that I had checked with them so I wasnt too worried.

Good thing that you did that, but most csr's know nothing at all. I have heard many stories where information given out by a CSR is totally wrong. I suggest you read:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1323910&page=1&pp=15

It looks like they are slowly implementing IMEI filtering. Dont mean to sound condescending but just be careful.

HotHotHeat
03-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Good thing that you did that, but most csr's know nothing at all. I have heard many stories where information given out by a CSR is totally wrong. I suggest you read:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1323910&page=1&pp=15

It looks like they are slowly implementing IMEI filtering. Dont mean to sound condescending but just be careful.

Legally, if a CSR says something, it represents what the company's policy is. It doesn't matter if they don't know anything, it's not up to the consumer to decide whether or not a CSR is knowledgeable.

Jing
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Legally, if a CSR says something, it represents what the company's policy is. It doesn't matter if they don't know anything, it's not up to the consumer to decide whether or not a CSR is knowledgeable.

It is also clearly stated that these plans will not work for non roger phones.

HotHotHeat
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
It is also clearly stated that these plans will not work for non roger phones.

I believe that would be a moot point. He checked of the fair use of his contract while using the iPhone. If they tell him during that time that he's doing nothing wrong, he has legal recourse. Yes, it says that in the contract, but a company cannot change a bill amount once issued.

Jing
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I understand that but I still would not trust rogers let alone any cell provider in Canada. The point of my original post is that it looks like they are going to start the imei filtering very soon. Be prepared to argue in the future, as they are starting to add features on your online account information which shows if you are using a rogers phone or not.

Hey, if it works...im all for it, but I am still very skeptical given my previous experience with rogers.

Bobblehead
03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe they won't add to the bill that has already been issued (and I'm not confident that they couldn't); but if there is another 70MB used this month them maybe it will show up on the bill this time. Or next month.

HotHotHeat
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
True, it could still be a problem in the future.

It's hilarious we're stuck arguing about whether providers are going to nail their costumers with outrageous data rates while Polish and Austrian providers offer legitimate iPhones with data plans costing a fraction of what they do here.

bluejays
03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Beware of Opera. It's ok to surf using opera mini if you don't intent to hit a lot of wap sites, but if you do, opera mini often tends to return a user agent string of Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini; en; U; ssr). I know this doesn't mean anything to you, but some wap sites require a device user agent to recognize the device you are using. Of course, this does not affect web browsing at all, only if you intent to use on some wap environments.

I wish I knew a thing you were saying. :blink: I don't have my Blackberry yet, still waiting on my coworker to get it for me, but I'm really not a risktaker when it comes to this considering the risk is extremely high with the reward being not so much. I've just fallen in love with the iPhone recently, and missed out on AT&T's sale as posted here.

Back to your comments though, what's the difference between WAP sites and regular sites such as CP? I'm completely in the dark when it comes to computer lingo.

Bobblehead
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM

It's hilarious we're stuck arguing about whether providers are going to nail their costumers with outrageous data rates while Polish and Austrian providers offer legitimate iPhones with data plans costing a fraction of what they do here.

Yeah. I was just waiting until my current contract was going to run out, then was going to buy an unlocked phone of my choosing and get on the Rogers/Fido network (since they seem to be the only ones to allow unlocked phones). Now, I'm not so sure.

photon
03-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I've got no contract right now, but I'm waiting until they start carrying the iPhone just to see what data plans do after that.

Plus I would like a 3G iPhone. I missed out on that $249 deal yesterday so I guess I'll wait.

Jing
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe they won't add to the bill that has already been issued (and I'm not confident that they couldn't); but if there is another 70MB used this month them maybe it will show up on the bill this time. Or next month.

That is exactly why i am trying to warn some people. You may not get charged now, but rumors say that the upcoming bills will not be as nice.

Im really hoping that the new competition coming into Canada will help bring much better rates. I believe that in some article that rogers doesnt believe in "unlimited data". As of right now, if you want data, you go with telus.

anyonebutedmonton
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
That is exactly why i am trying to warn some people. You may not get charged now, but rumors say that the upcoming bills will not be as nice.

Im really hoping that the new competition coming into Canada will help bring much better rates. I believe that in some article that rogers doesnt believe in "unlimited data". As of right now, if you want data, you go with telus.

I just don't see how they can charge me one month for something that I have not been charged for before. I have not seen any contract nor has anyone read me or sent me fine print. I simply called to see if there was a package that included text, VM, caller ID and they informed me that this 20 dollar plan included all of that plus unlimited data. If they were to call or write a letter to me to stop because i will be charged in the future then that would be one thing, but I can't see how they could start charging me for something I havent agreed to.

Bobblehead
03-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I just don't see how they can charge me one month for something that I have not been charged for before. I have not seen any contract nor has anyone read me or sent me fine print. I simply called to see if there was a package that included text, VM, caller ID and they informed me that this 20 dollar plan included all of that plus unlimited data. If they were to call or write a letter to me to stop because i will be charged in the future then that would be one thing, but I can't see how they could start charging me for something I havent agreed to.

If you accepted the plan then you have agreed to the terms, whether you have read the fine print or not. If you say you didn't get charged on previous bills, they will say you were lucky - that you agreed to the terms.

Don't think we are ragging on you. Anything but - I hope you are right and you can surf with impunity. I personally think that is what this plan should do, but the small print implies otherwise. We just don't want to see you selling your stuff in the Buy-Sell forum because you thought you would get away with something and found out otherwise. There is enough information out there now that you should be concerned.

In your shoes, I'd keep pretty close track for the next few months and make sure you could afford any nasty surprises.

HotHotHeat
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Personally, I'd welcome him to sell his iPhone in the buy-sell forum. :D

Jing
03-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Well it clearly states no non rogers phones, and I am assuming you signed a contract so you are technically supposed to be charged 5 cents/kb. We should not forget that whole bell fiasco thing either. I believe that bell never called to warn the person of the impending charges, so I would not expect rogers of all companies to give you that courtesy.

Jing
03-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Personally, I'd welcome him to sell his iPhone in the buy-sell forum. :D

You could always buy a refurbed one and unlock it. They go for pretty cheap right now.

photon
03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
but I can't see how they could start charging me for something I havent agreed to.

Heh, that's the thing, is technically you did agree to it.. You've done a bunch of work to make sure that CSRs say you're clear and ok which is good, but as Jing points out that kind of thing hasn't worked for everyone in the past, CSR's will say all kinds of things but in the end the part of the company who decides to send you a huge bill or cancel your account doesn't answer to the CSRs.

You may be on the right side of the law and in court you may win, but you'd have to go to court in the first place, or if you didn't want to deal with collections or having your account cancelled etc. Too much potential hassle to make it worth risking it over, which is why I wanted to wait to see how it would turn out for others :D

Jing
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM

I would be very happy to get the equivalent of an iphone plan up in canada (the 60$ US plan). My phone could do so much more with a dedicated data plan.....

HotHotHeat
03-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I would be very happy to get the equivalent of an iphone plan up in canada (the 60$ US plan). My phone could do so much more with a dedicated data plan.....

My Telus contract is 100% unlimited. The problem is it runs Windows Mobile 5, which just may be a worse MS OS than Windows ME. Ewwww the days of PC's.

Jing
03-19-2008, 05:42 PM
My Telus contract is 100% unlimited. The problem is it runs Windows Mobile 5, which just may be a worse MS OS than Windows ME. Ewwww the days of PC's.

I would go with telus but I switch phones alot, so I am stuck with rogers or fido. Plus, there are way cooler unlocked gsm phones compared to what telus currently offers.....

algernon
03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I simply called to see if there was a package that included text, VM, caller ID and they informed me that this 20 dollar plan included all of that plus unlimited data.

I salute your bravery. I heard an (albeit unconfirmed) story of a Mortgage Broker who ran up a $17,000 bill with his early generation Blackberry(!)... I truly truly hope you can use an iPhone on that plan, as I'm thinking about one in June.

Hey TCMBruce...Is there a program or website to warn/alert someone off of 'bad sites'?wap?:ph34r:

photon
04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Here comes the other shoe!

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356022

-Starting the 15th of April, the business rules around the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido option will be enforced by the billing system. Customers having those options on incompatible devices (grey market or Windows Mobile phones) or using their handset for other that WAP browsing will be billed on a pay-per-use basis.- For more information on typical usage examples and volumes please check the following Library path :
Services/Features/Features/ Mobile Internet and High-Speed Mobile Internet and 3G High Speed Experience
New process step:
Verify the customer's equipment prior to activating or modifying a customer's data option to ensure the option is compatible.

Mango
04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Brutal.

Bobblehead
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I expect to hear media reports from disgruntled users who were promised by the CSR that they were fine, only to find out on their latest bill that they now owe a lot of money.

HotHotHeat
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Telus: $15/month true unlimited data. How can Rogers compete?

Bobblehead
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Telus: $15/month true unlimited data. How can Rogers compete?

Good question. I was going to say that you can't use iPhone on Telus, but if Rogers/Fido are set in their ways to be a draconian as they appear then you won't be able to use it (to it's potential) on Rogers either.

I believe cell companies in Canada are trying to be like Apple - they want to control the whole ecosystem and fear becoming simply a source for bandwith/connectivity. But that is all they are to me, and I resent the onerous restrictions they have in place and continue to implement on their networks.

Jing
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Since when was it 15$ a month for unlimited data? I thought that was only for email and IM.

HotHotHeat
04-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Nope, all data in and out for $15 on my blackberry.

Jing
04-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Oh this is that method using opera mini right?

onetwo_threefour
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh this is that method using opera mini right?

Nope, any browser you can put on your phone, Opera or BB, and covers browsing and downloads, just not tethering. However, some people have said it is now revoked. I got it during boxing week with my new Pearl. I was lucky, I just happened to get a coupon for a free phone from Telus as I do every few years and it just happened to be during that window with the great data plan. On my old little LG phone, trying to surf the web was an exercise in futility so I never did it and never even knew how bad the wireless data landscape in Canada is. I hope the plan is coming back for the thirty dollars, because I'd like to pass off my Pearl to my wife and get the Curve now that it's out for Telus, but I'd like to have unltd data on both our phones.

Swayze11
06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Rogers has a $15 Value Pack that offers the following:
Includes:
Call Display with Name Display
Enhanced Voicemail
Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing
125 Sent Text Messages
50 Sent Picture/Video Messages
WhoCalled
Mobile BackupFido has almost identical value packs. My friend has an iPhone on Fido and he has this plan and he hasn't been charged. I phone Rogers today and said "I want to get this value pack for my iPhone", The CSR said thats fine but we do not guarantee perfect service (No idea what that means) But I guess Rogers is doing an upgrade to their system so they cant help anyone right now. Anyone out there that has this value pack on Rogers right now? Should I not tell them I have an iPhone?

photon
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
If you try to use that with your iPhone you'll get a huge bill, the on device browsing is for the devices they sell and the WAP browsers, not the Safari browser on iPhone.

Check howardforums, there's a few threads about that, the people they haven't charged are lucky, some have been charged a lot. Don't believe the CSRs, they can be totally clueless.

Wait until the 20th, I keep reading that the new data plans are being announced then, then you can get something that you know will work.

Swayze11
06-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Update:

Ok so I went with this $15 value pack that includes unlimited data. I clearly told the guy "I have an iPhone I was wondering if I will get charged extra or will this unlimited data plan work just fine with the iPhone"
He said "Yes it will be fine, by the way how are you liking that iPhone?"
So he clearly knew I had an iPhone so if I do get charged extra Im gonna tell them to go back on this call (because they claim they are recorded) and tell them. I got the representatives name as well just in case.

FanIn80
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Seriously should have just waited 3 more days, dude.

There are so many people getting hit with huge bills from that plan. It doesn't matter what the CSR told you, you iPhone does not qualify for that plan, and that has been CLEARLY stated in the description of the plan itself.

Rogers is under no obligation to honor any verbal agreement between you and an uninformed CSR. Their only obligation is to honor the written details of the plan itself.

ken0042
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Rogers is under no obligation to honor any verbal agreement between you and an uninformed CSR. Their only obligation is to honor the written details of the plan itself.

I would do the following:

- Record the phone call. Make sure at the begining of the recording you make the other person aware that they are being recorded.

- Ask for them to send a follow up email confirming what you have been told; for "your own records."

Even if they do bill you, there is no way they would want to go to court and argue that a verbal agreement that you have a recording of is not valid.

Swayze11
06-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Update:
Ok so I browsed the internet a bit, used the weather application, used the stocks application and then turned edge off. I called Rogers to confirm that the data that I just used is covered in the Unlimited Mobile Browsing. Turns out they have a second $15 Value pack that is exactly the same just instead of unlimited mobile browsing its unlimited text (I believe). So the CSR gave me that and he clearly knew I had an iPhone and wanted mobile browsing. The other CSR that I talked to cleared everything up and put a note on my account to credit me for any data charges that incur from last night. He also told me that I should call the Data Tech Support to see if they can work something out with me so I will call them later today.

Good thing I cleared that up because this morning I got a text message saying "Rogers Alert: U have incured $30 of pay-per-use charges on the mobile internet. U Can save with a monthly plan, blah blah blah". Its crazy all I did was went to TSN.ca, used the weather app, the stocks app and thats all the data I used and its $30. So be careful guys.

photon
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Friday is supposed to be new data plan day, so hold onto your hats.