PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with Shaw?

photon
02-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Man my speeds are all over the map (actually have been for months now), but today is especially brutal.. plus now I've got pings that range from normal to 700ms.

Anyone else having problems?

They're sending out a guy tomorrow (again), but I'm sure it'll clear up again and they'll just say "well call us if it happens again".

Sigh.

Buff
02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Which internet plan are you with?

Mine has been fine for a few months now but I was having problems in August/September, or maybe a bit earlier than that.

I get to bump my plan up though, as my work will be paying for my internet. It is part of my on-call compensation as I can connect to work from home and fix problems from home. So I'll be going from High Speed to Extreme-I. Which works out well for this COD4 player!

GoinAllTheWay
02-03-2008, 05:58 PM
I went through something similar a couple months back. I think Shaw somewhat oversold there internet packages and are now upgrading. I noticed my modem would power down and re-start, sometimes several times in the same day, and has now since stopped happening all together. Last speed test put me well over the 20 kbps (burst speed, I know) but that being said, start.shaw.ca is my homepage and it doesn't always load quickly.

photon
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm on I-Extreme already, and I used to get 10mbit all the time.

They did tell me that they started having some big problems in Chestermere and split it in half, but one half wasn't doing well after that so did some stuff for that half again, and that's been completed he said, so it should be ok. Maybe it's my modem, but I doubt it.

And even though I've been having general speed issues (i.e. maxing out at only 3-4mbit instead of 10), I've never had ping issues like I have right now. Basically any online game is unplayable.

I've always had good luck with Shaw, this is the first time I've had ongoing issues :( Was hoping that maybe it's a widespread temporary issue, but I guess not.

GoinAllTheWay
02-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Your sure it's not your NIC? I had shaw over a couple times too as I was getting the exact same speed before I realized my NIC was failing. Replaced it with a new Gigabit card and all was normal again.

ricosuave
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
^ or the nic cord as well

photon
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I guess it could be, I might have a NIC lying around... No other computers in the house to test it with at the moment :bag:

The general slowness over the past few months has been confirmed with different computers and network cables tho.

photon
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Lol and of course I test it now, and everything is perfect. Pings all perfect, 14mbit on speedtest.net.

The guy will come tomorrow, say everything is fine, and leave.

*Sigh*

Buff
02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Lol and of course I test it now, and everything is perfect. Pings all perfect, 14mbit on speedtest.net.

The guy will come tomorrow, say everything is fine, and leave.

*Sigh*

That happened to me when I first moved into the house I am in right now. It was horrible connection, except for when the Shaw tech came to my house. I had this one tech come twice, so the second time he came he gave his cel number to call during business hours if it were to crap out again. I don't think he was at the end of the street when my connection went downhill. Fortunately it stayed in the gutter when he came back and we were able to come up with a solution.

Dan02
02-04-2008, 01:56 AM
I went through a very bad stretch in november/early december, was lucky to be able to load CP on some days.

PS

Any other cynics here who think the only reason shaw has this new fancy speed burst thing is so that their ratings on all these speed test sights are higher?

Does a couple seconds of super fast speed make a webpage load any faster? not unless you're visiting one behemoth of a webpage.

Does it help with your downloads? might save you a few seconds on a download.

Will it make your gaming experience better? nopers

But when you go to speedtest.net and hit a 24402 on a 10 Mbps line it sure does look impressive.

fredr123
02-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Have you tried changing your internet filter? I was getting slow download speeds a couple months ago and Geek Squad told me my filter was clogged. You're supposed to change the filter every six months or 45 GB.

GoinAllTheWay
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Any other cynics here who think the only reason shaw has this new fancy speed burst thing is so that their ratings on all these speed test sights are higher?

Yep, I do. First thing I thought of when I saw that. Agree completley.

Photon, even before I changed out my NIC, I would have good days and bad days too. I'm not saying for sure it is your NIC but I was displaying the same problems, changed it out and has been rock solikd ever since. Do you use onboard LAN or a dedicated card? Things are cheap as hell anyways, I'd buy a new one just to be sure.

photon
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Have you tried changing your internet filter? I was getting slow download speeds a couple months ago and Geek Squad told me my filter was clogged. You're supposed to change the filter every six months or 45 GB.

Yeah I did that when I rotated my IPs.. make sure and rotate the IPs otherwise they'll wear unevenly.

photon
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep, I do. First thing I thought of when I saw that. Agree completley.

Photon, even before I changed out my NIC, I would have good days and bad days too. I'm not saying for sure it is your NIC but I was displaying the same problems, changed it out and has been rock solikd ever since. Do you use onboard LAN or a dedicated card? Things are cheap as hell anyways, I'd buy a new one just to be sure.

Using the onboard gigabit one, but yeah might be worth switching out to see.

Bobblehead
02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Some friends of mine who are on Shaw had issues with their connection dropping a few times over the weekend.

llama64
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm using this one in the future. Gold!

No connection problems for me (Altadore area).

GoinAllTheWay
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Ya, if you are using the onboard lan, all the more reason to switch to a dedicated card. I'm willing to bet you see an improvement. They are like $40 for a good one.

ricosuave
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
photon, ill give ya one if you still need it

photon
02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Seems to be all good since they replaced the cable modem, so maybe that actually was the culprit.

*crosses fingers*

Hemi-Cuda
02-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Seems to be all good since they replaced the cable modem, so maybe that actually was the culprit.

*crosses fingers*

well if you do have any future issues, just send me that info i talked about in the PM and i can help narrow it down

photon
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Will do, thanks! I appreciate all the offers :)

keratosis
02-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah I did that when I rotated my IPs.. make sure and rotate the IPs otherwise they'll wear unevenly.
Does it make a difference if you are using all season or
winter IP's?