PDA

View Full Version : America The Evil? Canadian Teens Say So

Cowperson
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
This will probably start a war. :lol:

In a recent poll, 40 percent of Canadian teens said the United States is a force for evil in the world, with 50 percent saying it’s a force for good and 10 percent reporting they were undecided on the subject. French-Canadians (search) were even harsher, with 64 percent of them calling America a force for evil.

Was the pollster unbiased given this comment?:

“What they’re reacting to is a sense that the U.S. is belligerent,” said the pollster who conducted the phone survey, Greg Lyle. “The U.S. is sort of bellicose, warmongering [and has] this sort of cowboy diplomacy.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,126401,00.html

Cowperson

calf
08-06-2004, 12:02 PM
But we all know young-Canadians are apathetic know-nothings in the world of politics and world affairs :P

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Do nothing you are evil, do something you are stuck in the same situation. As the only real superpower in the world at the current time the United States is put into a position where no matter what they do they lose. Honestly these are the same teenagers that likely critisize the US for not becoming involved in WWII when it first broke out due to isolationist policies.

It seems to me as though well hell if they do invade a nation which tortured people they should be viewed as a good thing, not as an evil in the world. But I am sure Kipperfan and his knowledge will be able to tell me that I am wrong because I am fairly right wing, and thus I hate and fear the truth.
________
STARCRAFT 2 REPLAYS (http://screplays.com/)

octothorp
08-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it's a bad poll, for a lot of reasons. Bad question, bad choices. And it's just one guy, apparently independent of any polling company, conducting the survey. This isn't Ipsos-Reid or StatsCanada conducting the poll. Any poll that has just two choices (and a 'don't know') isn't going to tell you anything meaningful. If you added a third choice that was 'sometimes good, sometimes evil', I would guess that the vast majority of teens would chose that option. But that approach, while more statistically accurate, doesn't create the sort of extremes that the media loves to get from pollsters.

Ktulu
08-06-2004, 01:16 PM
because I am fairly right wing, and thus I hate and fear the truth.

Hey me too! Weird how that works eh?

Mike F
08-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Mean Mr. Mustard@Aug 6 2004, 11:13 AM
Do nothing you are evil, do something you are stuck in the same situation. As the only real superpower in the world at the current time the United States is put into a position where no matter what they do they lose.
No one was up in arms when the coalition invaded Afghanistan and virtually no one is out there demanding that the US invade Iran, North Korea, Syria etc., so it's not accurate to say that the US is going to be criticized no matter what.

I think it's safe to say that the unending publicity of the arguments for and against the Iraq war has resulted in people (even young Canadians) having opinions about the US and their actions that are unusually well informed and not simply based on vague, general feelings.

La Flames Fan
08-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Yet on that same website they have a petition to get Fox News in Canada.....

Cowperson
08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by La Flames Fan@Aug 6 2004, 07:20 PM
The better to mold young Canadian minds to The Dark Side . . . . . :P

Cowperson

CaptainCrunch
08-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Lately I've taken the opinions of the under 18 crowd with a lot of salt. Its cool to think that the American's are evil soul sucking monsters with a hidden agenda. Guess I'm uncool

The saying in the 60's was don't trust anyone over 30. The saying in this decade is don't trust anyone under the age of 18

Thunderball
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Am I the only one who finds it odd they are saying that Canadian youth hate America, when only 40% said they do, and 50% say they don't??

I mean, I could tell you 40% minimum of the youth I've encountered, can't even tell me who the President was before Clinton... let alone give any kind of constructive and meaningful contribution to a conversation... and hey, I'm only 19 and I'm freely admitting it.

metallicat
08-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Bill O'Reilly was all over this, badmouthing Canada for it. I may be right of centre, but some of these conservative Americans are imbeciles.

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by oilers_fan@Aug 7 2004, 02:54 AM
Bill O'Reilly was all over this, badmouthing Canada for it. I may be right of centre, but some of these conservative Americans are imbeciles.
If 40 percent of the youth of America stated that Canada was an evil nation which harboured terrorist and was evil as a result I am sure the same reaction would take place in Canada. I know the study is flawed and anyone with half a brain, or even somone who voted for the NDP could tell you that, but that is how those guys get their audience, through shock and whatnot. These comments from the American political pundits are the same comments that would be made in any nation state.
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

Cowboy
08-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Thunderball@Aug 6 2004, 09:50 PM
Am I the only one who finds it odd they are saying that Canadian youth hate America, when only 40% said they do, and 50% say they don't??

I mean, I could tell you 40% minimum of the youth I've encountered, can't even tell me who the President was before Clinton... let alone give any kind of constructive and meaningful contribution to a conversation... and hey, I'm only 19 and I'm freely admitting it.
Nice call....

I also agree with Cowperson...he sounds a little biased...

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by La Flames Fan@Aug 6 2004, 07:20 PM
The fact that Fox News decided not to broadcast in Canada on their own free will after they were given the right to do so shouldn't really matter should it?
________
S-CLASS HYBRID (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class_Hybrid)