PDA

View Full Version : HTTP Error 504 - Gateway Timeout

Bend it like Bourgeois
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
My wife likes to use this as her homepage: www.calgaryplus.ca (http://www.calgaryplus.ca).

For some reason, when logged in under her profile on our home computer, that site does not come up. We get a HTTP Error 504 - Gateway Timeout

Same computer, same browser, but my login, the site works fine. In fact everywhere I try the site works fine.

I can't begin to explain this.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it or how to fix it?

Rathji
01-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Gateway time out (504) is pretty much the same thing as a normal page not found (404) with the exception that the gateway is being routed through some other server. Is she using a proxy?

I assume you are using a windows computer and using 2 different profiles and yours works and hers doesnt? Is this correct?

Bend it like Bourgeois
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
yes that's right. We both have admin passwords if that matters

Rathji
01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Double check that the URL she is using ( I am assuming she has it bookmarked), and make sure it matches the URL that you are using on yours. If they are the same, and you are certain she isn't using a proxy server, then I have no real solid ideas as to the cause.

Perhaps software she has installed like internet blocking / filter software could cause this effect, but I find that highly unlikely. In fact anything she has installed on her profile that might not have been made available to all users could be causing it.

You might try reseting your modem and router, doubt it will help to be honest.

If you get it solved, let me know. This has my curiosity perked.

Rathji
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
To help you understand what has happened I pulled this info from wiki, and edited out the most irrelevant stuff - As you can see the issue should not be happening to only one of your user accounts in windows - assuming you are both using the exact same URL. If you are not, then it is likely that the website you are trying to visit has restructured or has had load issues which prevented her from accessing it.

Link:
Gateway timeout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_timeout)

Cause

This problem is entirely due to slow IP communication between back-end computers, possibly including your Web server. Only the people who set up the network at the site which hosts the Web server can fix this problem.

Resolution

The 504 Gateway Timeout error is usually a network error between servers on the Internet or an issue with an actual server, meaning the problem is not with your PC or Internet connection. Even though the issue is not yours to troubleshoot or resolve, there are a few things you can do: Retry the web page by clicking the refresh/reload button or trying the URL from the address bar again.

Honestly, I would be extremely suprised if this problem persisted, but if it does the only real thing you can do is contact the website and let them know that something on their end is buggered uo