PDA

View Full Version : My computer is running slow.

BBQorMILDEW
01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Any ideas on what i need to do to speed the computer up. I have tonnes of memory so that can't be the problem.

Rathji
01-26-2008, 02:15 PM
- disable every process that is running in the backround other than what you need to do what it is you do normally

- Disable everything that starts automatically when you start your computer

To do this, run msconfig from the start menu.

The window that will pop up will have several tabs. You are only interested in the startup and the services ones. If you mess with any of the rest I will not be held liable for what you do and will have no idea how to correct it.

under Startup: UN-check EVERYTHING you are not 100% sure you need running at startup. (Note: If you have no idea what you need, just disable everything for now). Most of these programs are needed *just in case* you want to run something. FOr example: Itunes helper will make itunes start up faster when you want to run itunes, but will make everything else run slower. Adobe normally has something in here, etc. If you use an application lots that has a process that 'helps' it like this, then you will probably be better of to enable it. This is a hit and miss thing, sometimes you wont realize you need something untill you try and run it, but you can always run MSconfig and enable the appropriate process again. After a few days, pretty much everything you use normally will be enabled.

Under Services: You do pretty much the same thing- with one exception - Hide all microsoft services before you disable anything.

Keep in mind that anything you change with this can be re-enabled by doing the same procedure again, and that as you use your computer you will find certian things that will not work optimally that you will need to enable again.

Azure
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Run adaware and spyware tools.

Vulcan
01-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Go into system tools, usually under accessories. Run your disc cleanup and defragmenter. A good free defragmenter is DiskeeperLite.

Hack&Lube
01-26-2008, 04:33 PM
We can't really help you if you don't give us any information at all. What kind of computer, what speedn, how old, what operating system, how long it's been feeling slow. What has changed recentely, etc.

llama64
01-26-2008, 05:06 PM
As Hack&Lube said, need specifics.

Processor, memory, hard-drive model perhaps.

Most likely you have a lot of programs being loaded at start up that are never used and consume resources. Rathji's advice will help that. You may also have an overzealous anti-virus suite installed. If it's Norton/Symantec, McAfee or that junk that comes with Shaw or Telus, uninstall it and replace it with lighter versions such as AVG free and Ad-Aware.

REDVAN
01-26-2008, 05:15 PM
A good free defragmenter is DiskeeperLite.

I need to defrag as well, can someone tell me if this is good or no? what about the one that is included on XP?

Vulcan
01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I need to defrag as well, can someone tell me if this is good or no? what about the one that is included on XP?

What I understand is that the defragger on XP is an early version of Diskeeper. YOu can also find free 30 day trials of their full versions. I've used it for a few years and have never had any problems. It is faster and does a better job then the XP version.