PDA

View Full Version : Nystrom returned to Quad City (AHL)

SteveToms
01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I just got a txt from Sportsnet, Nystrom has been sent done to QC Flames.

LockedOut
Confirmed by Peter Mahr on post game.

Drunk Skunk
Woooohoooo!

Torture
01-22-2008, 11:00 PM
:eek:

I guess the writing was on the wall since we had too many players and not enough roster spots...but woah, I definitely thought he had played his way onto the big team.

Mike F
long break for the flames and he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Just gets him some playing time rather than having him sitting around

Metro Gnome
Saw that coming.

FlamesPuck12
01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Too bad, I liked the energy he brought to the team.

Hemi-Cuda
01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
he'll be back after the all-star break. i'm surprised that Boyd didn't join him, though if Sutter told him to find a house in Calgary then that might not be fair

Drunk Skunk
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think he'll be down for long, but I'm glad he'll be back for the eastern trip. I hope he does get in a game or two in QC though.

:EDIT:

Why would he be called back up though? It's not like there aren't two other forwards sitting out every game. It would be nice to have at least one extra forward down here.

icarus
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
It's just for the all-star break guys, relax!

Phanuthier
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
It's just for the all-star break guys, relax!
yup, exactly. Better then him sitting around doing nothing.

FlamesPuck12
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Well if it was just for the allstars break, why didn't they send down Boyd as well?

McG
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
isn't there a date when you can carry alot more players? for sure...nystrom will be back by then. until that point...conditioning stint!

foofighter15
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
good call on the all star break thing. I was actually quite mad about this!

Freeway
01-23-2008, 01:12 AM
As per HeraldHockey.com and Jean Lefebvre's blog.

Housley4Prez
01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
He just wasn't the same after he ditched the beard. Give him four weeks and the beard will be back in no time... Nystrom being back in the NHL in four weeks, well, only time will tell.

Freeway
01-23-2008, 01:50 AM
NHL Roster: (23)
G (2): Joseph & Kiprusoff
D (7): Phaneuf, Sarich, Eriksson, Hale, Regehr, Aucoin & Warrener
F (14): Yelle, Nolan, Iginla, Smith, Godard, Lombardi, Primeau, Huselius, Langkow, Conroy, Moss, Nilson, Tanguay & Boyd

AHL Roster: (24, although some are injured)
G (3): McElhinney, Krahn & Keetley
D (8): Pardy, Ramholt, Cole, Hambly, Palin, Baldwin, Pelech & Burke
F (13): Cunning, Chucko, Nystrom, Stevenson, Maki, Germyn, Donally, Couture, Van der Gulik, Peters, Sutter, Kolanos & Prust

Jiggy
01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Well if it was just for the allstars break, why didn't they send down Boyd as well?

I am guessing Nystrom has not played for almost a month, and it's pretty much just conditioning...

flambers
01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Wonder if Boyd will also be sent down?

pepper24
01-23-2008, 07:37 AM
^ probably not as Sutter said he's on the team full time

CaptainCrunch
01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
After coming off a pretty nasty facial injury and not playing a lot because of that, this will be an 8 day conditioning stint for Nystrom.

Take good care of him, feed him well, cheer the crap out of him, but we mean to have him back.

flambers
01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Not sure how Nystrom gets recalled however, Flames are at the roster limit of 23 players. I would think he might be there for a little while.....

Metro Gnome
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Nystrom's down for good until someone else is dealt or on IR. The Flames roster is full.

JiriHrdina
01-23-2008, 09:56 AM
he'll be back after the all-star break. i'm surprised that Boyd didn't join him, though if Sutter told him to find a house in Calgary then that might not be fair

Hopefully Rich Heskith is assigning Justin with an extensive 8 day weight training program.

I think Boyd's game will improve dramatically when he builds his overall strength.

Which isn't to say he hasn't impressed.

AC
01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Hopefully Rich Heskith is assigning Justin with an extensive 8 day weight training program.

I think Boyd's came will improve dramatically when he builds his overall strength.

Which isn't to say he hasn't impressed.

Odd. Two spelling errors by starting with the wrong letter.

JiriHrdina
01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Odd. Two spelling errors by starting with the wrong letter.

First was intentional based on a former boy band member that he resembles.

The second has no such explanation.

Drunk Skunk
01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
So ... does anyone know what is really going to happen? Is he down here for just a week or so, or for longer? With Calgary having spare forwards as it is, and QC not having an extra forward at all, it just makes sense to leave him down here ... at least makes sense to me.

Freeway
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
So ... does anyone know what is really going to happen? Is he down here for just a week or so, or for longer? With Calgary having spare forwards as it is, and QC not having an extra forward at all, it just makes sense to leave him down here ... at least makes sense to me.

He's likely down until somebody's traded to free up a roster space.

rockstar
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
He's likely down until somebody's traded to free up a roster space.
One would have to think (sadly, IMO) that Marcus Nilson will be dealt to a team in need of a warm body. Nilson can't seem to find his way into the lineup, likely because guys like Nystrom have shown they can do the same job with a little more energy or effectiveness.

Although, I'd argue Nilson could do a better job than Mark Smith. Maybe Keenan see something in Smith.

Either way, I would imagine Nilson (or maybe Primeau, but likely not with that contract) will be on his way out at some point in the near future, probably just for a draft pick, at which point Nystrom will be back.

I really hope not. I've always liked Nilson, and I think he's looked pretty good in the games he's been in.

Bingo
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I hope that Sutter had the "blah blah all star break, blah blah game action, blah blah need to make a move, blah blah see you in two weeks" conversation with him.

he was a good addition and had a smallish piece of the turnaround this season. Hate to see him lose his job due to an injury.

looooob
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I appreciate the energy Nystrom brought to the table, and he's a lot closer to an NHLer than I thought he'd be going into the season, but he was -9 (I know that stat has alot of limitations) in 34 games, and was struggling a little bit near the end there IMO. also the Flames 4th line (already including a youngster in Boyd) got between 1-3 minutes of icetime last night. So I think a little time in QC for Nystrom working out some kinks and getting some offensive confidence might not be a bad option for him, versus playing every other game with Mark Smith and Godard or Primeau as might be the case up in CGY right now

FlamesAddiction
01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
^ probably not as Sutter said he's on the team full time

Boyd has also been healthy, whereas Nystrom has been out for a bit and could use to the games right now.

Hack&Lube
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
They told Boyd to get a place but we never heard anything about them telling Nystrom to get a place...The fact is that the Flames are full of spare defensive PK guys, and even now we're putting a 1st line LWer on the PK (Tangs) so Nystrom is sort of the odd man out as far as the people we are allowed to send down to the QC, the QC is also short so it helps out.

I'd say this is a more long-term assignment until injuries or Sutter manages to trade some guys. I don't know why they signed Smith in the first place and Godard does not deserve a 1-one contract, he should have been a body we could've sent to the QC every now and then for these space issues (despite the fact that he's the 2nd fastest skater on the Flames team!!!)