PDA

View Full Version : AVI to DVD

Nufy
01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I have a lot of .AVI files on my computer... (OK they're movies I've downloaded)

Each file is about 700 meg.

Is there a way to copy muiltiple files to a dvd and still have them read on my DVD player ?

My DVD will not read .AVI files.

At 4.7 G / DVD I should be able to put a few of these files on a single DVD.

Shouldn't I ????

BlackArcher101
01-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Only way to see is try one. However, it will take a LONG time to convert the file, so don't expect just to burn it and be done with it. I'm sure you couldn't fit more than two movies on it. It's similar to how an audio cd works. A cd holds 650mb and each mp3 is 4mb, so it should hold lot's of music right? Wrong, once the music is converted so a normal music player can use it, you can only fit on avg 13 songs. The length of the music/movie then makes the difference.

Azure
01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Can your DVD player play DIVX files?

BlackArcher101
01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Can your DVD player play DIVX files?

My DVD will not read .AVI files.

He mentions it doesn't play avi, so I think he's tried.

Nufy
01-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I haven't tried but the DVD manual does not mention playing DIVX or avi files.

I guess I could waste a DVD and try.......

Actually I have a few CDRW's kicking around....

maybe one of those.

KevanGuy
01-20-2008, 12:56 AM
I use a program http://www.redkawa.com/ to convert files for my PSP. Maybe there is an output file there that will work in your DVD player.

BlackEleven
01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Another option is to buy dvd player that plays divx. They're super cheap now. I picked one up several months ago for $70.

Then for downloaded movies, you don't have to go through the hassle of converting before you burn and you can find several movies all on the same disc.

Hack&Lube
01-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Seriously, its worth your while just to buy a DIVX playing player. If you look, they can be had for less than $50. It'll save you the hassle of converting (takes a long time plus there will be many codec issues that may pop up with AVI files actually encompassing dozesn of different formats with different codecs). It'll also save you DVDs as you will be able to fit it straight as a 700MB divx versus the converted movie into Mpeg2 (DVD format) which might be a few gigabytes and still be as low quality as the original divx source.

Nufy
01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Right now nero is converting my 700 meg AVI file ito a 4+ gig dvd file.

Another option is I may just buy a long S-Video cable and connect my vid card directly to the TV.

AFireInside
01-20-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a new computer so encoding is not a big deal for me, but if your computer is older it may slow everything down while you encode and it will take longer...

I use a program called divxtodvd or its also called ConvertXtodvd. Works very well for converting movies. However you will not be able to fit multiple movies onto a dvd.. Well you could, but you will lose quality.. When you convert a movie it makes the file much much larger.. On divx to dvd you can set the size you want and try it. It takes me about 30 minutes to convert a movie to dvd format. So get divxtodvd and try it out. Try setting the size in options when you convert so you can put two movies on one dvd and see how it works, maybe the quality won't decrease much.. You can set divxtodvd to burn automatically after encoding as well..

wpgflamesfan
01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I use ConvertXtoDvd which you can get via any torrent site and it works great.

Old Yeller
01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Another option is I may just buy a long S-Video cable and connect my vid card directly to the TV.

Now you're talking... $5 for 25 feet at monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020701&p_id=2415&seq=1&format=2)

I just bought a big screen TV and run a DVI/HDMI cable from my computer to the TV and it works beautifully.

Just remember you'll probably need this (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2) for sound from your sound card unless you have a fancy optical out on your sound card.

But other than the s-video cable, this is my setup and it works great.

Nufy
01-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Yep....

I would need about a 50 footer plus that little doo hickey you noted there as well.

My pc has a 5.1 dig sound card but I didn't see any thing about a optical out port.

I dont think my TV would support it anyway.

Old Yeller
01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
They've got 50 and 75 footers at monoprice as well. I just run my sound from an old generic soundblaster and it sounds fine... it's not 5.1 DD, but it does the trick.

I ran an svideo cable to my old TV from my comp and it was a good picture to. I don't know, I just found it a heck of a lot easier than trying to get burned movies to play on a finicky dvd player... although I didn't have a divx dvd player.

If you need a hand with hardware or software issues, just PM me.

keratosis
01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
DVDFlick works very well and is free.

Nufy
04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Done and Done...

Mono price cables FTW !!!

50 Foot S-video cable and an adapter for my headphone jack with some long RCA cables and I'm rockin away.

Now I only wish I had a widescreen TV instead of my old Sony Trinitron.

All of my downloads are in Wide screen format so I am losing about 1/4 of the screen or more in the transition.

Maybe time to talk to the wife about getting a LCD.........

Russic
04-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Done and Done...

50 Foot S-video cable and an adapter for my headphone jack with some long RCA cables and I'm rockin away.

All of my downloads are in Wide screen format so I am losing about 1/4 of the screen or more in the transition.

Then you might as well look at getting a ps3 or xbox 360 as they both play .avi files!

hatty
04-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Done and Done...

for the audio, i used to use a cable that would go from the headphone jack from my speakers, and then the same cable splits into two left and right RCA audio cables, that you can plus right into the back of your tv (i had a sony trinitron as well) and it worked great for audio, just put the volume on max on your computer and then use your tv volume to adjust, bought the cable from the source

Nufy
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a S-video and audio inputs on the front of my Sony so I just run the cables when needed and coil em up afterwards.

droopydrew19
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I know Nero can render and covert them to dvd. There is also another easy program that I use that I will try to find on my home PC later tonight.

Bill Bumface
04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Do you have an xbox 360/Wii/PS3? You can stream your AVI's to your TV wirelessly and watch them. Works awesome.

I have a 500GB NAS that I have loaded up with all of my shows/movies, so I don't even need my computer on. Just flip on the xbox, navigate through the movies on the menu, pick what I want to watch.

Rifleman
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I've used WinAVI for years now. It works great, and is very simple to use. Just Google it up. It also has a free 30 day trial.