PDA

View Full Version : Best Browser? Opera?

Claeren
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey,

What are peoples thoughts on the best browser?

I have used IE for a long time but have gotten the impression i might be missing out on certain benefits by not testing out some others. I have recently loaded Opera and am using it now and it is pretty slick i think.

The other big one is Firefox obviously. And there are some smaller ones of course...

Thoughts? Impressions? Why should i try Firefox v. IE and Opera?

Claeren.

SarichFan
01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Nothing has even threatened my use of Firefox since 2003

llama64
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Try em all and find one that works for you.

I personally am attached to Firefox due to it's simplicity, security and some addons (i <8 NoScript).

I've tried Opera a few times and despite many attempts to like it, I just can't force my brain to escape the Firefox/IE way of doing things.

IE destroyed my computer too many times for me to forget. I will never again use that browser (well... till MS releases IE8).

A good comparison of the browsers:
- Firefox (no addons) (http://www.forumpix.co.uk/uploads/1195566731.jpg)
- Firefox (addons) (http://www.forumpix.co.uk/uploads/1195566750.jpg)
- Opera (http://www.forumpix.co.uk/uploads/1195566796.jpg)
- Internet Explorer (http://www.forumpix.co.uk/uploads/1195566785.jpg)

4X4
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Nothing has even threatened my use of Firefox since 2003

Ditto. I hate using other computers that don't have firefox. I've downloaded it onto my parents' computers, friends', sisters'... Just for me for whenever I'm at their houses.

FlamesKickAss
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I use firefox at home and love it. At work I am stuck with IE.

Claeren
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
The thing i thought was cool about Opera is that apparently there is a BitTorrent app built in now - although i have yet to test it. I am guessing there is something like that for Firefox though?

The Opera browser is faster than the IE7, but it sometimes loads pages funny (more so than IE). CalgaryPuck is MUCH faster than IE7, especially in terms of posting though. That alone is worth the change.

Still figuring things out though....

My initial impresison though is that i will eventually try Firefox.

Claeren.

Kipper is King
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I like how firefox incorporates RSS feeds. Handy!

Bobblehead
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Ditto. I hate using other computers that don't have firefox. I've downloaded it onto my parents' computers, friends', sisters'... Just for me for whenever I'm at their houses.

In those cases, I just installed Portable Firefox on a flash drive.

Then I have all my addons and bookmarks and don't need to install anything on someone else's system.

metallicat
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Safari ;)

Claeren
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
IF i have portable firefox on a USB-key drive, can i also have the 'flash' up to date as well?

The computers at work don't allow us to update our flash and it is driving me nuts as more and more apps are moving beyond the version they do have on them...

Claeren.

Barnes
01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
For those of you that use Firefox, download and try Firetune.

http://www.totalidea.com/content/firetune/firetune-index.html

Firefox is setup for slower connections and this will allow you to tweak it for broadband.

I_H8_Crawford
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Firefox is setup for slower connections and this will allow you to tweak it for broadband.
Oh man, I never knew this program existed... just installed it and it is a lot faster! Thanks! :D

Hack&Lube
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Count me as a devoted Opera fan. I've tried Firefox a lot and I never liked it. Opera has everything you need inside the package and still most customizable. Opera has the most inuitive layout for me and in many tests, it is the fastest browser. I also prefer Opera's keyboard shortcuts mouse gestures and all the viewing modes. It just much faster to browse if you know it well than other browsers.

The main reason however is that Opera is brilliant in that when you zoom in on a page (CTRL + mousewheel up and down), it will resize EVERYTHING instead of simply the text or standard pictures like in Firefox and IE. This means animations and flash movies will also resize. There's no need for me to bother with fullscreening Youtube, I just zoom the movie up to whatever size I want with CTRL + mousewheel. This also works with flash games and many other things that you can never zoom in other browsers.

I used to keep Opera on a USB memorystick at work yes, but sadly, like all things, the version of flash on your computer is usually what the administrator has installed and therefore, you won't be able to have this updated nomatter what you do unless the system admin does it to the entire network.

Bobblehead
01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
IF i have portable firefox on a USB-key drive, can i also have the 'flash' up to date as well?

The computers at work don't allow us to update our flash and it is driving me nuts as more and more apps are moving beyond the version they do have on them...

Claeren.

I've bever had an issue with flash, so I'm not really sure, but looking at the Portable Firefox site, it seems like you can use any version.

http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable#plugins

McG
01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
ie and firefox. depends upon what i am working on. but ie is mandated at work.

GreatWhiteEbola
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I like how firefox incorporates RSS feeds. Handy!

Except the CP RSS feed, when you get threads from the CP Hockey league! You get threads that say Iginla traded! I freak out and look at it and its a thread from the hockey league, boooooo!

Other RSS feeds are great, news, browse the headlines.

Claeren
01-10-2008, 12:37 AM
This is slightly off topic but...

I am trying to get the torrents thing to work in Opera and it is not letting me use the port it specifies (18768)? How do i make it work?

It prompted me at the beginning about allowing outside access for users on this port or something like that and i accidently slicked 'no' and now i find out that only offer that option the first time you load it. How do i do it manually? I tried a few things i thought should work but no luck so far...

Ack!

Claeren.

Flash Walken
01-10-2008, 12:45 AM
This is slightly off topic but...

I am trying to get the torrents thing to work in Opera and it is not letting me use the port it specifies (18768)? How do i make it work?

It prompted me at the beginning about allowing outside access for users on this port or something like that and i accidently slicked 'no' and now i find out that only offer that option the first time you load it. How do i do it manually? I tried a few things i thought should work but no luck so far...

Ack!

Claeren.This is a somewhat confusing part of opera if you've never encountered it before.

Are you using the built in opera torrent software (boo) or a utorrent (what you should be using)?

Hack&Lube
01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
The thing is Opera is that for the hardcore...there are a lot of undocumented features. Often I hit a random keystroke and it does something or brings up a menu and I never knew those things were even there. I mostly stick to browser even though Opera has built in apps for everything from e-mail to bittorrent which are actually well designed. I chose not to install e-mail or bittorrent app last time around or I would open them up and check it out for you.

Claeren
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I am using the built-in torrent app?

I am finding that (complicated/undocumented system/features) with Opera too. I am realizing how lazy i have been in the almost 10 years since high school. I used to have such a high aptitude for this stuff, you know like as a kid where you just know stuff, and now i struggle over every problem. But i am trying to be more pro-active and not just give up. I think in school you just ask your friends but then as an adult you feel stupid having to ask, even though doing it just once correctly is all it takes to know the right answer forever. So basically, i am trying not to be afraid to ask the simple questions... :)

Claeren.

Russic
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
firefox until the day I day. I actually like all browsers that aren't IE.

Old Yeller
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Has anybody else used this? I've been using Firefox for years and never realized this existed.

Bobblehead
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Has anybody else used this? I've been using Firefox for years and never realized this existed.

All it really does is alter a few settings in the about:config

I've been doing the same thing manually for years, but this makes it easier.

The thing to be careful of things like this tend to set up multiple connections (well, the tell Firefox to set up multiple connections), and on some websites that can be a big no-no. I read through the help file and the settings don't appear too outrageous for this app.

Flash Walken
01-12-2008, 03:19 AM
I am using the built-in torrent app?

I am finding that (complicated/undocumented system/features) with Opera too. I am realizing how lazy i have been in the almost 10 years since high school. I used to have such a high aptitude for this stuff, you know like as a kid where you just know stuff, and now i struggle over every problem. But i am trying to be more pro-active and not just give up. I think in school you just ask your friends but then as an adult you feel stupid having to ask, even though doing it just once correctly is all it takes to know the right answer forever. So basically, i am trying not to be afraid to ask the simple questions... :)

Claeren.
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/

you'll get the hang of it really fast. it's actually quite user friendly.

Kipru
01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
This topic was already discussed in This (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=40581&highlight=opera) thread.

I still think that Opera is the greatest, complete package without any need to install extension packs. My favourite feature (besides the already mentioned zoom and mouse gestures) is the ability to fit any page within the width of the window - so i don't have to separately zoom out every time that you guys post some awesome HD picture of the beatiful Alberta scenery.

Also the sound commands are great feature - but useless in the long run. Or maybe if I lose my hands I can still command opera to take me to CP to see all the latest dating tips and threads about Kipper sucking.

http://technodigits.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/firefox-no-extensions-thumb.jpg?w=385&h=344
http://technodigits.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/firefox-with-extensions-thumb.jpg?w=385&h=347
http://technodigits.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/opera-thumb.jpg?w=384&h=369
http://technodigits.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/internet-explorer-thumb.jpg?w=382&h=382

mykalberta
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Claeren.

Its likely the fact that you arent an administrator on your computer, check to see if you can change the time zone, if you cant then you arent an administrator.

Different companies have different policies, with us if you have a 2 letter acronym after your title or you have a laptop, you get admin rights. If you have a desktop only at work, sorry - Power User only.

Next time you have an issue try this...

Call in the morning (normally the busiest hour because of users who cant remember their damn password) get your IP address, then unplug your network cable. When you are on the phone they will try to remote your computer - they wont be able to and when they ask if your network cable is plugged in say yes, and give some bs story on how you had a similar thing at home and it was the firewall was on. If they are to busy they will just walk your through running the program as administrator, write down the local admin password and log off and imideately logon as administrator under the local computer account. You can then install whatever you want (remember to plug in the network cable again).

mykalberta
01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I use IE7 with the IE7Pro add on.

No problems and does what I need - mostly tabbing and a whole load of customizeable shortcut keys.

I have firefox on a U3 key and that is it.

Hack&Lube
01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I forgot to mention that I love Opera because it saves everything I see into the easily accessible cache folder so there is no need to find a complicated way to save a file or video or even flash. It's all there in my cache folder.

Bobblehead
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I tried Opera, and it was great, but there were a few things that I missed from Firefox and couldn't figure out how to do them in Opera.

Nothing wrong with Opera - it's an excellent browser. I have just gotten Firefox personalized and love everything it gives me.

Hack&Lube
01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I tried Opera, and it was great, but there were a few things that I missed from Firefox and couldn't figure out how to do them in Opera.

Nothing wrong with Opera - it's an excellent browser. I have just gotten Firefox personalized and love everything it gives me.

Yeah, I had the reverse happen with Firefox. It's really what people get used to and they don't like to change their browsing habits.

Bobblehead
01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I had the reverse happen with Firefox. It's really what people get used to and they don't like to change their browsing habits.

When I first tried Firebird (0.61) it took a while to get used to, but I was tired of not seeing any progress with IE, and I had been a Netscape Navigator fan from way back. So the first really good opportunity to switch, I did.

REDVAN
02-23-2008, 01:00 AM
I just got the beta 3 of firefox 3... what is supposed to be different/improved?

MelBridgeman
02-23-2008, 01:26 AM
IE7 and occasionally FireFox..never Opera...mostly lynx on linux

Ayrahb
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Except the CP RSS feed, when you get threads from the CP Hockey league! You get threads that say Iginla traded! I freak out and look at it and its a thread from the hockey league, boooooo!

So true. I never use that forum but the full board RSS gets a few threads from it every now and then. That is why I subscribe to specific forums now.

Bertuzzied
02-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanx for the link. I was wondering do you have to keep the program running or do you just tune it the first time and then close it?

Russic
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I've been using firefox for several years. There are so many tools that I use with it now that I couldn't possibly use any other browser at this time.

Opera is really cool, so nothing against it. I live by the simple rule of "anything but ie". In my short experiments with web design I can't think of an aspect of computers that makes me more furious that ie.