PDA

View Full Version : Polygamy In B.c.

Tron_fdc
08-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Some pretty interesting/disturbing articles on a Mormon splinter group practising polygamy in small town B.C.

"and they believe that not only does God condone polygamy,
but the Canadian Charter of Rights does too"

Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllly??????

do the dishes or you don't go to heaven!! (http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/polygamy/)

:blink:

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Chop Chop, Dig Dig.
________
Yamaha Ttr250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TTR250)

Clarkey
08-06-2004, 12:38 PM
How long will it be until polygamy is no longer considered immoral or wrong in Canada? When will we be seeing the push for the legalization of polygamist marriages?

"Marriage is between a man and a woman, and a man and a man, and a woman and a woman, not between a man and 3 women or a woman and 5 men......."

Tron_fdc
08-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey, I'd take all the wives I could if it was legal, and my current wife wouldn't hunt me down with a pick axe for doing so.

Cowperson
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by plett22@Aug 6 2004, 06:46 PM
Hey, I'd take all the wives I could if it was legal, and my current wife wouldn't hunt me down with a pick axe for doing so.
For me, this is about underage girls - as defined by law - being raped - as defined by law and perhaps being shipped across borders so they can be raped in other similar communities.

That's the crime.

Cowperson

octothorp
08-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Clarkey@Aug 6 2004, 06:38 PM
How long will it be until polygamy is no longer considered immoral or wrong in Canada? When will we be seeing the push for the legalization of polygamist marriages?

"Marriage is between a man and a woman, and a man and a man, and a woman and a woman, not between a man and 3 women or a woman and 5 men......."
If the courts were to allow polygamy, they'd likely also have to allow same-sex polygamy, as well as any other combination--five girls and seven guys, etc. Any possible combination and number of humans would have to be legalized.
From the article, it sounds like that the reason the BC prosecutors aren't challenging them right now is that they don't want to allow the courts to find that the current definition of marriage is unconsitutional and descriminatory towards polygamists, and have to revise the the marriage act to allow polygamy. Better not to risk having to legalize polygamy nation-wide.

So I've forgotten... what exactly aren't you allowed to do in BC? Well, there's sucker-punching a hockey-player, and I guess that's pretty much it!

Tron_fdc
08-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson+Aug 6 2004, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Aug 6 2004, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-plett22@Aug 6 2004, 06:46 PM
For me, this is about underage girls - as defined by law - being raped - as defined by law and perhaps being shipped across borders so they can be raped in other similar communities.

That's the crime.

Cowperson[/b][/quote]
I took it a little differently I guess.

"If over the age of 20" (and say, under 40 :P ) I would take all the wives I could get if it was legal and I wouldn't get castrated/sued/eyeballs clawed out by the current significant other. :D

Cowperson
08-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by plett22+Aug 6 2004, 07:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plett22 @ Aug 6 2004, 07:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 6 2004, 06:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-plett22@Aug 6 2004, 06:46 PM

That's the crime.

Cowperson
I took it a little differently I guess.

"If over the age of 20" (and say, under 40 :P ) I would take all the wives I could get if it was legal and I wouldn't get castrated/sued/eyeballs clawed out by the current significant other. :D [/b][/quote]
Sorry, I shouldn't have hit the quote button. Wasn't implying anything about you with that post.

Just a general comment on the central issue for myself.

Cowperson

pope04
08-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but one wife is (sometimes) more than enough.

firebug
08-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Any man who wants more than one wife... deserves what he gets.