PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bell install experts

Bingo
12-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Picked up a new 9242 receiver for Xmas (HD 2 zone PVR). It looks like the back feed is a single line unlike the non HD 2 zone PVR, so is my current dish all that I need or do I need a different cone for 2 zones of HD?

Thanks in advance

HOOT
12-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I am so confused on what you are asking ;)

Do you have HD right now? And what receiver is this one replacing?

Bingo
12-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I have the original HD receiver from Bell ... single zone, about three-four years old.

HOOT
12-26-2007, 10:43 AM
So unless you already have more than 3 TV's installed you are going to have to:

1. Install the 4X4 multi-sat switch (this will bring all 4 lines from your (2)82LNB and (2)91LNB into one powered unit that can now be split into 4 different feeds)

Will look something like this : http://images.intl.shopping.msn.com/cae/img/31/30/0/1019711.jpg

2. Run another line from the multi-switch to the 9245 system so you have two coming into your receiver. You could keep it with one line coming in but then you wouldn't be able to do things like: Record one show while watching another, or, record two shows while watching a PVRd one, or, PIP.

Because you are already have HD you won't have to touch the dish at all, you will just have to swap out the switches you have now for that 4X4 multi-sat switch and run one cable.

How many TV's and REC's(which models?) do you have set-up in your house right now? I could use paint and draw up a cheezy diagram if you would like.

Vulcan
12-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Here's some diagrams courtesy of Ken0042.It says it's for the 9200 but it's the same set up as the 9242. You're going to have to do some rewiring and maybe buying some cable [use R6 not 59] to set up your new 9242. The SW44 switch is included with your new PVR. Don't move your dish, it should be fine. I'd go with option #3 here although I used #4 for a while but than I couldn't use any other receivers.
Here's the link

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26721

actually I use Example #5 as being on the Wet Coast, two larger dishes gives me better reception.
You'll have to figure out where you want to mount your Sw44 switch as it has to be plugged in and get co-ax cable at appropriate lengths. Try and get cables with compressed fittings as these are best.

Bingo
12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
thanks guys ...

I have a powered switch but I think I might have to buy a bigger one. It's a four x four but I have two dual PVRs and another unit as well so that's five if I have this figuered out

Vulcan
12-26-2007, 03:16 PM
thanks guys ...

I have a powered switch but I think I might have to buy a bigger one. It's a four x four but I have two dual PVRs and another unit as well so that's five if I have this figuered out

Yeah, the other alternatives are to use two SW44 switches [you probably already have two] with four splitters. This is described in a small pamphlet you should have got with your 9242 called an Installation Guide for the SW44. This is on page 12. I'm not sure where you get the correct splitters though.
Another alternative is too add another satellite dish but some don't like the aesthetics.
Still another alternative is to use a DishProPlus LNB with their switch.

I think Ken would be the guy to ask on how to go here though.

ken0042
12-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Bingo. Don't have a lot of time tonight to get into it, but I see 3 options for you:

- Using two SW44 switches. When I did up those instructions a couple of years ago there was an option of cascading SW44 switches together giving you a total of 6 outputs. It seemed more compicated than what I would be willing to do, so I didn't look into it much further as those instructions were designed to help the DIYer.

- Two dishes. Depending on the wife factor; this might be an option for you- or it may not. The terms of the Bell agreement talk about not having the receivers in different houses; there's nothing stopping you from using two dishes.

- The one I would recommend is using Dish Pro Plus hardware. It basically allows you to one require one line to each receiver; then a seperator from each line to the two inputs on the 9200 and 9242 receivers. I'm pretty sure there is a diagram on DHC, but for some reason I can't get to their site at the moment; but I'm pretty sure there's a diagram showing how to use the DPP hardware.

Of course, the other option is to activate the 9242 now using the connection for the 9200, let it run the updates, then hook it back up to where the single line runs in. It will only give you single tuner; but at least its an option to start playing with your Xmas toy.

Hope that is of some help.

Bingo
12-26-2007, 11:18 PM
- The one I would recommend is using Dish Pro Plus hardware. It basically allows you to one require one line to each receiver; then a seperator from each line to the two inputs on the 9200 and 9242 receivers. I'm pretty sure there is a diagram on DHC, but for some reason I can't get to their site at the moment; but I'm pretty sure there's a diagram showing how to use the DPP hardware.

Of course, the other option is to activate the 9242 now using the connection for the 9200, let it run the updates, then hook it back up to where the single line runs in. It will only give you single tuner; but at least its an option to start playing with your Xmas toy.

Hope that is of some help.

Way ahead of you ... hooked it up to one line and have it in use. Tries to go to a switch check on line 2 if you leave it idle though ... takes over the machine forever.

So the Dish Pro Plus is a splitter at the receiver, avoiding the running of two lines?

ken0042
12-26-2007, 11:31 PM
DPP is a line of products. You would have a DPP LNB (thingy on the end of the dish), DPP44 switch (looks like a SW44 but has better guts inside), and then a DPP seperator, not a splitter.

Never use the word "splitter" when talking about satellite signals. There is no such thing. And for me the best way I was able to get my head around how the signals worked was to stop using that word. Once you accept that there is no splitter, it starts to make more sense.

Bingo
12-29-2007, 04:52 PM
ok ...

I sent Ken a PM but in case there are other opinions floating around.

I mapped out my sat system and have this ....

http://www.calgarypuck.com/Bell%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

Couldn't I yank out the 21 switch and replace it with another identical 34 switch (like the one above)? Then you take the straight 82 into the new 34 along with the exit 91 from the other 34 leaving you four exit points in the new 34 (only need 2 for the 9242).

Thoughts?

ken0042
12-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Just about to head out, but my quick 2¢ says that current setup should not work. Can you get a non HD channel (like 400) on the 9242?

Also, can you watch channel 400 on the 3100 receiver, and 228 (City Winnipeg) on the 5200? (At the same time.)

Bingo
12-29-2007, 06:24 PM
the diagram above hasn't been changed and it worked perfectly to service three receivers before I had the need to run a second HD feed to the new 9242.

I had the same 3100, the same 5200 and the old single tuner (nonPVR) HD receiver that was using the feed that the 9242 currently has hooked up to it's SAT1.

So the diagram works ... it has a 3100 in our loft for the kids, a 5200 in the family room upstairs (2 tuners) and the one feed to the new receiver in the basement ... all channels, no problems.

Was just thinking if I replaced the 21 switch with the 34 to channel the HD feed into a multi out format.

Am I off base

Vulcan
12-30-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm not familiar with the 34 switch but from my reading it seems it's only meant to work for one satellite and that is why you have to use an SW21 to combine the signals from the two satellites for your HD receiver. I don't think another 34 switch will work.

My suggestion would be to run two cables from your 91 transponder to your 34 switch. Two of the cables from this switch would run into your SW44 along with two cables from your 82 transponder. These four out cables from the SW44 would feed both of your dual tuner receivers. The other two cables from your 34 switch would only have the 91 satellite feed but that wouldn't miss much on an SD receiver.

Bingo
12-30-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm not familiar with the 34 switch but from my reading it seems it's only meant to work for one satellite and that is why you have to use an SW21 to combine the signals from the two satellites for your HD receiver. I don't think another 34 switch will work.

My suggestion would be to run two cables from your 91 transponder to your 34 switch. Two of the cables from this switch would run into your SW44 along with two cables from your 82 transponder. These four out cables from the SW44 would feed both of your dual tuner receivers. The other two cables from your 34 switch would only have the 91 satellite feed but that wouldn't miss much on an SD receiver.

You probably know better than me ... but wouldn't another 3/4 do exactly what the 21 is doing only giving you four outputs with a commingled sat signal for use for multiple HD needs?

You leave everything else exactly where it is so the SD duel PVR and 3100 are still sourced from the original 34, the output from the original 34 goes into the new one along with the 82 run from the other sat giving you four exit points for the HD of which you only need two.

You might get away with a 22 if there is such a thing, but a 34 would give you more expansion.

Or am I out to lunch?

Vulcan
12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
You probably know better than me ... but wouldn't another 3/4 do exactly what the 21 is doing only giving you four outputs with a commingled sat signal for use for multiple HD needs?

You leave everything else exactly where it is so the SD duel PVR and 3100 are still sourced from the original 34, the output from the original 34 goes into the new one along with the 82 run from the other sat giving you four exit points for the HD of which you only need two.

You might get away with a 22 if there is such a thing, but a 34 would give you more expansion.

Or am I out to lunch?

I don't think the 34 is meant to commingle satellite signals. From my reading it's meant to take two feeds from one satellite and split them into four feeds. It may work to some degree but I think that is why Ken asked about getting different channels on different receivers at the same time. This is why you have the SW21 [which does commingle] connected to your HD receiver. The Sw44 also commingles two satellite signals.

ken0042
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Here's what I would try. Not sure if it will work, but somebody has to be the guinea pig. I think it will work because of your success with the SW34 and the SW21 intertwined:

91 LNB- two outputs to the SW34.
82 LNB- two outputs to the SW44

Then take two of the ouptputs of the SW34, and bring them into the SW44. So the 3100 will be running right from the SW34 so no programming from 82. (no CTV Kenora- sorry.)

Then the two inputs of the 9242 and the two inputs of the 5200 will run from the SW44.

I'll see if I can draw up a wiring diagram tonight.

ken0042
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
OK, here's what I've drawn. Keep in mind I've never tried this, so it may or may not work. Hope it helps.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/ken0042/Bingo.jpg

Bingo
01-02-2008, 11:11 AM
cook Ken thanks ... I'll give it a shot

where's a good place to buy the 44?

ken0042
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
eBay would be my choice. If you want to do it now I would suggest Satellite City.

eBay will cost you around $50- Satellite City will be closer to $100. Bell charges $150.

Edit- If buying on off eBay; be sure it is one that has the Dish Network logo on it, and it includes the power inserter. Some people will tell you the power inserter isn't needed, but in your case it is an absolute must have.

There are other cheaper SW44's out there, don't try to save a few bucks- I've heard nothing but bad about the off brands.

Bingo
01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Satellite-w-sw44-switch-SW-44-for-Bell-or-Dishnet_W0QQitemZ170181320684QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32 844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ken0042
01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Yep.

Only thing is he says he prefers Certapay. I'd stick with Paypal- way more secure for the buyer.

The inherant flaw in Certapay is the password. The password is there to circumvent any issues with the transaction happening over email. The problem with an eBay transaction is it's almost all done by email.

burn_baby_burn
01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you call Bell Bingo? When I bought my 9200 last year. I called Bell and they set it up for free. I did have to wait about a month though.

ken0042
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Were you an existing customer before BBB? Or did they make you sign a contract to get the install?

I'd like to know- would be good to have that knowledge.

burn_baby_burn
01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Were you an existing customer before BBB? Or did they make you sign a contract to get the install?

I'd like to know- would be good to have that knowledge.

I was an existing customer. Had to put my name on a waiting list to get the receiver at the Bell store. It was the store that told me to call and tell them I was switching to HD. I was charged $100. Then it was reimbursed on my next bill. Like I said. I did have to wait about a month for install though.

That was back in March or April of last year though. Maybe they don't offer that anymore. Woudn't hurt to call though. Or check it out online.

Bingo
01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
that's Bell's biggest issue in my mind ...

red carpet for new clients, but zip for the existing guy.

I already had HD, so buy getting a new receiver I doubt they could care less.

Vulcan
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Same situation here. When I phoned Bell to order my 9242, I asked if it came with the SW44 switch and if there were any deals. I was told that being an existing HD Bell customer, they would send me what I needed with no deals. Needless to say, I didn't trust them to send me anything more than the receiver itself, so on my next trip to the big city, I picked up the receiver which included an SW44 and an extra satellite dish for the same price. I now have a couple of extra dishes.

Bingo
01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Like I said, I just looked, there is a Dishnetwork SW44 thing sitting screwed to my wall downstairs doing nothing if you want it.

what a nice offer Fotze, thanks

but I looked in the damn dish box after Vulcan said he got the SW44 with it and sure enough ... so did I.

Thanks though

Bingo
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Ken that worked ...

thanks for all your help. Call the guinnea pig experiment a success

Vulcan
01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Ken that worked ...

thanks for all your help. Call the guinnea pig experiment a success

Good to hear, now if you aren't doing anything with your 6100 right now and you feel you're on a roll, you can try hooking it up to your computer monitor if you have an LCD with a DVI connection. Works fine as a HD TV in a computer room. Just make sure you set the receiver to 720p for the smaller monitors and the monitor should be HDCP compliant. It may work if it's not HDCP but I haven't tried that.

HOOT
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM

This may sound very Bell of me but...they already subsidize the price of new receivers for existing clients, thats why Shaws boxes are more expensive.

They give deals to new clients because they want to rope them in, if they keep giving you promotions or more money off they would start not making as much money.

OR

If you are an existing client and out of contract you just cancel your service and get your wife/roommate/mom(just a different name) to sign up the new service and you get the promos.