PDA

View Full Version : Blades of Steel now available in Wii Vitual Console

kootenayguy9
12-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Some of my favorite High School memories was playing this game.

BLADES OF STEEL™ (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): With stick in hand and confidence brimming, you are looking to bring home the cup, win the MVP award, get on the covers of major sports magazines and date a beautiful model (not necessarily in that order). But soon you will learn that, in this league, nothing is ever given to you, and before you can reach your goals, you’ll have to put the puck in the net and score some. You’ll need both the artful skills of a finesse player and the bone-crushing brutality of an enforcer. Defend your own goal against unrelenting power plays, or put the pressure on your opponent’s goalie and try a slap shot of your own. Don’t forget to defend yourself when anger flares because the gloves come off and fists start flying. So strap on blades of steel and prepare to either make a name for yourself or be put on ice.

TurnedTheCorner
12-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Nice, I may have to pick this up. Thanks for the tip!

Save Us Sutter
12-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Is this an updated version? Or the original BoS?

Never played a Wii nor do I know much about it, but this was my favourite game ever and my brother and I still play it on our now ~20 year old NES.

Don't remember anything about models though!

krazycanuck
12-25-2007, 01:18 PM
gets the pass....

Barnes
12-25-2007, 04:40 PM
wasnt it flips the pass?

RyZ
12-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Nice. Definate pick up for $5.

Save Us Sutter
12-25-2007, 06:02 PM
always thought it was "takes a pass"

Barnes
12-26-2007, 10:05 PM
We were all wrong.

From Wikipedia

"This game also features distinct voice samples, which were rare at the time in NES games. Most notably, the voice says "Blades of Steel" during the beginning of the game, "FACEOFF!" before each faceoff, "FIGHT!" when a fight breaks out, "With the pass..." after a successful pass is made, "Hit the Puck", "Icing", and an "aaahhh" made by the losing player after a fight."

Resolute 14
12-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I am so downloading this. The five dot fight system was awesome!

SuS - It will be the original version. Nintendo allows you to download original NES, SNES, N64, and some other old platform games - even Sega (heh).

Bobblehead
12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I haven't downloaded any of these classics - do most require the wired controller?

The Yen Man
12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Nice. I still have Ice Hockey somewhere in my closet. I remember we used to have so much fun with this game. Me and my cousins actually each picked a team and set up tournaments when we played way back in the day. Oh, and the fat guys rule!

JayP
12-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I haven't downloaded any of these classics - do most require the wired controller?

The NES games can be played with the Wiimote turned sideways.

Table 5
12-29-2007, 10:02 AM
There was a hockey video game in the early/mid 90s that i used to love, but I'm not sure if it was Blades of Steel or not. It wasn't the EA series, and Im pretty sure if was for the SNES....I remember the graphics were quite a bit better than EA at the time. Dammit, I wish i could remember. I played that game nonstop.

edit: after some research, i realized it was NHL Stanley Cup. I loved the 3-D in that game, you didnt get that in the EA series till much later.

Kipru
12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
ca9oc7gkrlA

Come on! Now you lucky wii owners have to buy it.

Prototype
12-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I remember the excitement of playing the mini-game in the second intermission. I'd always play BoS with my brother or a friend, and the anticipation to who got to play was legendary. I still remember getting majorly pissed off when it wasn't me who got to play the 10 seconds of Gradious.

The shootouts, soccer style, were awesome as well.

Bingo
12-29-2007, 04:50 PM
help me out ...

Just got my kids a Wii for Xmas. How does downloading work? Does the Blades game need the classic controls or do you use the chuck and remote?

Thanks guys

Bench Warmer
12-29-2007, 07:13 PM
help me out ...

Just got my kids a Wii for Xmas. How does downloading work? Does the Blades game need the classic controls or do you use the chuck and remote?

Thanks guys

To download Blades of Steel or other games, you need to go to the Wii Shopping Channel - which should be part of your menu options when you turn it on - and go to virtual console. One thing is you have to buy Wii points which you can buy online on your Wii or go to a retailer to get. Under your settings, you'll also want to update the Wii software and check your internet connection if you haven't done so (there should options to click for both of these).

As for the controls, you just turn your Wiimote sideways and it works the same as a classic controller. The '+' button is the 'start' button and '1' and '2' are 'a' and 'b'.