PDA

View Full Version : $9K for Guitar Hero

foofighter15
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317014,00.html
I wish I could catch my son smoking weed. But that would include having a son....

return to the red
12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
haven't I been seeing GH3's available all over the place?

J pold
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Someone is selling the exact same thing for 170$ in the Buy and Sell Forum

CaptainCrunch
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Then he promptly went out and spent the money on hookers and blow teaching his son a valuable lesson that he who has the money makes the rules Playa.

foofighter15
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Then he promptly went out and spent the money on hookers and blow teaching his son a valuable lesson that he who has the money makes the rules Playa.
Well done on the hookers and blow connection. Didn't see it coming at all in this thread.

Its a good thing that the buyer put on that final cent. Or else he woulda been low balling the poor seller

Ozy_Flame
12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow....$9000 for a video game that hasn't even been discontinued.

Some people have TOO much money.

ken0042
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Link to the actual eBay auction; where most of the good reading is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200181539427

Funny thing, the dad says he doesn't plan on selling it, and will simply let the auction end with whatever the final value is. I'm sure he's in for a nice shock when eBay charges him the final value fees.

Locke
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd be freakin ecstatic if I sold a $200 video game for $9000....forget about the dope

The Yen Man
12-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, its that time again where certain people turn into idiots by overpaying for the hardest to find toy thereby proudly showcasing for all to see that they are indeed the world's greatest parent.

Swarly
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
this cant be real, no way anyone pays 9k. Why pay this, there are many other gh3 listing on ebay for under 200

ken0042
12-17-2007, 03:23 PM
this cant be real, no way anyone pays 9k. Why pay this, there are many other gh3 listing on ebay for under 200

Because it isn't real. Have a look at the link to the auction.

Not real. But also note how Fox was careful to always say "another source reports X happened" instead of making those claims themselves.

fredr123
12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Because it isn't real. Have a look at the link to the auction.

Not real. But also note how Fox was careful to always say "another source reports X happened" instead of making those claims themselves.

I'm not familiar at all with ebay... what about the link makes you think it isn't real?

ken0042
12-17-2007, 03:50 PM
The part where the guy holding the auction says:
"Well, with that being said, I intended to cancel the auction anyways. Even with the above probabilities running through my head, I was/am concerned for my family’s privacy. My son has obviously learned his lesson."

It's way down- you'd have to read a lot to get to that.

Nufy
12-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow....$9000 for a video game that hasn't even been discontinued.

Some people have TOO much money.

A-Rod ?????????

Hack&Lube
12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
The part where the guy holding the auction says:
"Well, with that being said, I intended to cancel the auction anyways. Even with the above probabilities running through my head, I was/am concerned for my family’s privacy. My son has obviously learned his lesson."

It's way down- you'd have to read a lot to get to that.

That still has nothing to do with the legitmacy of the auction. The father intended it to teach his son a lesson, but he did eventually sell it.

Dan02
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Look at the bid history. the last legitimate bid was at 222$. The rest was a guy bidding against himself.

jammies
12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I wish I could catch my son smoking weed...

'Cause I'd confiscate it, smoke it myself and tell him, "There ya go, Billy, a valuable life lesson. If Dad can find it, the cops can find it -and they wouldn't even enjoy it, they'd just throw it away!"

Hack&Lube
12-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Look at the bid history. the last legitimate bid was at 222$. The rest was a guy bidding against himself.

I hate it when other people mess up your auction. It's happened to me on a few occasions.

FlamesPuck12
12-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Why did that guy bid against himself?

FireFly
12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I think what happens is someone else puts in a bid and then if yours is higher, it automatically updates to yours again, doesn't it?

FlamesPuck12
12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I think what happens is someone else puts in a bid and then if yours is higher, it automatically updates to yours again, doesn't it?

That's a weird way of doing it then... Thats not a Bid History then, technically they have to have every transaction to make it a history...

alltherage
12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Now, GH + Green is really what should have happened to the poor youngster. Poor, poor youngster.

ken0042
12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
No, there were two high bidders. One guy bid $9001, then another guy kept bidding more and more until he found the 1st guy's high point.

As for the legitimacy; once the seller tells people to go ahead and bid it up as high as you want, then it really becomes a non-legit auction in my mind. The bottom line is there was no legitimate bid for $9000, so the article with the tagline reading "a father sold his son's coveted "Guitar Hero III" video game on eBay as punishment, and made over $9,000" is not a legit article; as the link provided in the news article disproves the accuracy of the article.

FlamesPuck12
12-17-2007, 10:12 PM
No, there were two high bidders. One guy bid $9001, then another guy kept bidding more and more until he found the 1st guy's high point.

As for the legitimacy; once the seller tells people to go ahead and bid it up as high as you want, then it really becomes a non-legit auction in my mind. The bottom line is there was no legitimate bid for $9000, so the article with the tagline reading "a father sold his son's coveted "Guitar Hero III" video game on eBay as punishment, and made over $9,000" is not a legit article; as the link provided in the news article disproves the accuracy of the article.

Does it not tell you what the highest bid for an item is?

ken0042
12-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Most of us read that article and came to the conclusion that the game sold for $9000.

But the fact of the matter is that the father did not sell the game. He put up an auction and told people to go ahead and bid it up, as he was was not planning on selling it after all but did not feel like cancelling the auction. (Which is pretty easy to do BTW.) He goes on to say that he also will not hold the high bidder to purchasing the item.

Heck, had I seen that auction while it was still live I would have bid on it as well. Why not when the seller stipulates that they have no intention of making somebody pay.

Hack&Lube
12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Most of us read that article and came to the conclusion that the game sold for $9000.

But the fact of the matter is that the father did not sell the game. He put up an auction and told people to go ahead and bid it up, as he was was not planning on selling it after all but did not feel like cancelling the auction. (Which is pretty easy to do BTW.) He goes on to say that he also will not hold the high bidder to purchasing the item.

Heck, had I seen that auction while it was still live I would have bid on it as well. Why not when the seller stipulates that they have no intention of making somebody pay.

You still have absolutely zero proof aside from your own conjecture that whoever the buyer was didn't actually pay for the auction. The winner seems to own a computer company in Australia and is a reputable ebay user, not some kid seeking to ruin a viral internet auction for the fun of it.