PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development, movie?

Pages : [1] 2

MrMastodonFarm
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Just did a search for the heck of it because of the quote thread, and this popped up.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/06/jason-bateman-refuels-hope-for-arrested-development-movie/
“The ‘Arrested Development’ movie is not dead, au contraire,” the dearly deceased show’s star, Bateman, told us Monday. “[Over the weekend I had] a little phone call, just catching up, a little reaching out and touching.”
On the other end of that phone was “AD” creator Mitchell Hurwitz, who has found himself with a lot of time to talk since Hollywood’s writers put down their pencils. “This writers strike, it’s a devil’s playground,” grinned Bateman, who has been lobbying for a big-screen “Arrested Development” ever since the show that resurrected his career died a premature death. “The guy doesn’t have anything to do.”

Clearly vague and not alot of info there, but it's something.

foofighter15
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
I would go nuts. I can totally picture the trailer because you know at one point it would do the thing when it gets serious and there is a snare drum hit that speeds up and everytime it speeds up a character looking concerned and over their shoulder comes in and fades away. Then it speeds up with a choir singing a single note and getting louder until it silent and goes black.
Wow, if anyone understands what I just said, good on ya.

surferguy
12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
^^^ How is the pot this morning?

Got Miikka?
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I would go nuts. I can totally picture the trailer because you know at one point it would do the thing when it gets serious and there is a snare drum hit that speeds up and everytime it speeds up a character looking concerned and over their shoulder comes in and fades away. Then it speeds up with a choir singing a single note and getting louder until it silent and goes black.
Wow, if anyone understands what I just said, good on ya.

LOL

Well it's good to hear that this project wasn't, uh, arrested in its development.

J pold
12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
The day I see that movie would be amongst the greatest days of my life

I absolutely love this show, I watch it every day I have probably seen each episode over 10 times

However there have been rumors about it coming back since the day it got canceled I really can’t put to much merit into this

Also Mitchell Hurwitz has gone on record as saying that it will never come back

troutman
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Reunion News:

http://the-op.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4233

The Arrested Development comeback rumor started with a site called Blues News, which quoted Jason Bateman as saying he believes an Arrested reunion will happen (via movie or cable) and that: "The boss Mitch Hurwitz, I believe, is eager to do it; he's got a master plan, he's probably got timing worked out."

I rang up Bateman, and he tells me that although there's nothing concrete in the works right now (depressing but not surprising what with the writers' strike and all), "the talk of a movie version is always there." Bateman also says that "until Mitch makes it happen, we all just sit ready and willing."

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=6719ee8c-7751-4913-9058-b2b19f18d4a6

Table 5
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I dunno, i sort of think this would be somewhat like the Simpsons movie or the Office Hour long episodies....ie, good in short burts, but a little tiresome in long-formats.

HalifaxDrunk
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
I absolutely love this show, I watch it every day I have probably seen each episode over 10 times

Me too, I watch it on CBC, and put in one of the DVDs any chance I get. My wife absolutely loves the show as well so there are no complaints.

A movie would be awesome, but somehow bringing the show back would be the greatest day in TV history! (never happen though :mad: )

AC
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
As the owner of Buster's gasmask, and one of Gob's suits.... I would love this to be true.

kermitology
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
As the owner of Buster's gasmask, and one of Gob's suits.... I would love this to be true.

Yeah, like you could afford a $10000 suit.. COMEON!

AC
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, like you could afford a $10000 suit.. COMEON!

I'm glad you made that joke.

Sadly, it's not THAT suit.

J pold
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
In fact Anthony Cook had started to alienate some of his fellow posters

AC
12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
In fact Anthony Cook had started to alienate some of his fellow posters

Thats the main reason I bought it in the first place.

HalifaxDrunk
02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
YEAH!!!!!

E! Online article (click here) (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=15a310d7-61f0-49b6-ba57-092e60c397cb)
Exclusive! Jason Bateman Confirms Arrested Development Movie Talks

Jason Bateman has just confirmed to me that the creative minds behind Arrested Development (Mitch Hurwitz and Ron Howard) have put the wheels in motion toward a major motion picture of the Fox TV comedy so many of us adore. I'm told by insiders that Jason and other Bluth family members have received calls from producers (Hurwitz and Howard) asking if they would be willing to shoot a movie.

"I can confirm that a round of sniffing has started," Bateman says. "Any talk is targeting a poststrike situation, of course. I think, as always, that it's a question of whether the people with the money are willing to give our leader, Mitch Hurwitz, what he deserves for his participation. And I can speak for the cast when I say our fingers are crossed."

Jeffrey Tambor also revealed on XM Radio's the Ron and Fez Show that he has been approached by Ron Howard to see if he's willing to do an Arrested film.

IGN Movies link (click here) (http://movies.ign.com/articles/849/849271p1.html)
February 4, 2008 - There's buzz that the long-rumored Arrested Development movie might finally be happening. Emmy-nominated Actor Jeffrey Tambor, who played George Bluth Sr. on the fan-favorite series, dropped the knowledge during an interview this weekend.

Tambor was heard on XM Radio's The Ron and Fez Show hinting that development on the Arrested Development movie may be starting soon.
"I think we're gonna make a movie," Tambor said. "I talked to Ron Howard [series executive producer] the other day, and he hinted around that there's a real push to get the movie made, of course, after the strike. And [he asked] was I on board. I said, of course! I'd love doing that!"

troutman
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Great news.

Follow Arrested Development developments at fan site:

http://the-op.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5

Matata
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Writers strike, the massive success of Superbad and Juno. The stars are aligning and the fates have willed it, there will be an Arrested Development movie

troutman
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Writers strike, the massive success of Superbad and Juno. The stars are aligning and the fates have willed it, there will be an Arrested Development movie

And TV spin-offs?

Ex. Tobias Loves Chachi?

J pold
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
AH! This news just made my life!

I am so excited for this movie its going to be hilarious!

I can say for the first time that one wish that I have asked for has come true!

octothorp
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
As long as it's better than Bender's Big Score.

Personally, the main reason I hope for an Arrested Development movie is that, if successful, it could translate into the TV show being resurrected. Probably the individual success of Michael Cera has more than a little to do with the movie being seen as increasingly viable.

AC
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM

What was wrong with Bender's Big Score?

Eastern Girl
02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I would be overjoyed if this happened. I have practically worn out my AD dvds, a movie would be fantastic.

Sainters7
02-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Ugh, no kidding. What a letdown.

Staypuft
02-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Ugh, no kidding. What a letdown.

I thought the movie was fine.
Some really clever stuff and fresh material, which we were lucky to get in the first place.
Unfortunately it suffered from the same thing the Simpsons movie suffered from, which was that it lagged bigtime in the 2nd half.

octothorp
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Okay, I guess I'll further derail the thread and explain my thoughts on Bender's Big Score. There were some wonderful storylines, some silly ones, but it was so obviously just a mashup of these episodes. The narwhale storyline was brilliant for example, and most of the Fry/Leela stuff was strong, Bender going back in time had potential, but a lot of the stuff with the nudist scammers was really stupid and annoying, I thought. Same with the way Santa Claus was used. I find that with Futurama, they do one crap episode for every five good episodes, but mashed up, that crap episode was bringing the whole movie down.

Anyway, it's relevance to Arrested Development is that so much of AD's brilliance is in its episodic form. It'll be a challenge for them to apply that to a movie. I've got a lot of confidence in the Arrested Development writers, but then I had a lot of faith in the futurama writers.

Rhetts_the_Best
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I would be so happy, pleeeeeese oh pleeeese let there be a movie

troutman
06-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Bateman confirms movie in the works:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/25/jason-bateman-talk-hancoc_n_109165.html

Hilarious Jason Bateman, he of "Arrested Development" and the impending Will Smith blockbuster "Hancock" joined "dear friend" Keith Olbermann as the #1 story on "Countdown" Tuesday night. They talked about working with Will Smith and the joy of just getting paid. More surprising was a guest appearance by David Cross and a confirmation of the "Arrested Development" movie. Says Bateman, "It's in the works." And then Keith asked for a role.

Eastern Girl
06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
There's going to be a lot of hype for this. I hope it lives up to the series, or tops it.

My expectations are already high.

J pold
06-26-2008, 09:54 AM
There's going to be a lot of hype for this. I hope it lives up to the series, or tops it.

My expectations are already high.
I really believe that it will met everyone’s expectations no matter how high

If you think about it AD would work perfectly as a movie, as most fans of the show know you have to be really engaged in the series in order to get everything that is going on (which was part of it’s down fall). Even if you missed 30 seconds of one episode you could have missed out on a joke or a line that will reoccur later on in the series. That’s why a movie is perfect; you can’t help but be engaged and pick up on every little detail. So even your causal movie-goer can pick up on the discrete humor that probably escaped them when they tired to watch the show, Also Mitchell Hurwitz is too brilliant to not make a fantastic film.

Machiavelli
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree.

I'm going to have to re-watch the entire AD series, because seeing even a couple of re-runs on CBC, I've noticed that I initially missed a ton of jokes.

Eastern Girl
06-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I really believe that it will met everyone’s expectations no matter how high

If you think about it AD would work perfectly as a movie, as most fans of the show know you have to be really engaged in the series in order to get everything that is going on (which was part of it’s down fall). Even if you missed 30 seconds of one episode you could have missed out on a joke or a line that will reoccur later on in the series. That’s why a movie is perfect; you can’t help but be engaged and pick up on every little detail. So even your causal movie-goer can pick up on the discrete humor that probably escaped them when they tired to watch the show, Also Mitchell Hurwitz is too brilliant to not make a fantastic film.

I am not sure I entirely agree with you. I agree there are layers to the show and since the show moves quickly, you can actually miss quite a bit, as you have said. But also, as you have said, that was part of the shows downfall. There were lots of people that complained that too much happened in too little time and that turned people off. I don't see how that is now a positive working in their favour with a full length movie. If it went over peoples heads at half an hour, how are they going to be able to keep up with a full length flick? Are they going to slow down the tempo of the story, because they now have more time to develop the story? Will it not be as layered as the show? I don't know, just talkin' out loud now...

I am sure I will enjoy it, as I love Bateman and Arnett and Cross and Hurwitz, but they do have a lot to live up to now.

kermitology
06-26-2008, 10:26 AM
How will it work without the bleep?

The way they used that was hilarious to me. I find it funnier to hear the censor than the actual word(s).

Example: Buster's tirade against Lucille when everyone else was making comments.

I wish I had a brother so I could go up to him and say "Haay brother"

Also.. I just put The Final Countdown on my iPhone for my ringtone.

J pold
06-26-2008, 10:34 AM

The way they used that was hilarious to me. I find it funnier to hear the censor than the actual word(s).

Example: Buster's tirade against Lucille when everyone else was making comments.

Don’t forget Gobs sexual harassment speech

Gob: And please refrain from discussing or engaging in any sort of inter-office *BLEEP*ing, or *BLEEP*ing, or finger-*BLEEP*ing, or *BLEEP*ing or *BLEEP*ing, or even BLEEP, even though so many people in this office are begging for it. And if anybody does anything with my sister Lindsay, I'll take off my pants, I'll shave my BLEEP, and I'll personally BLEEP.

Misterpants
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Ha ha...me too! I have a friend who looks like Gob so I set it to ring when he calls...

Eastern Girl
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I also liked how they found ways to block the persons mouth when they swore. Like when Gob was talking about his Christian girlfriend and how he was trying to get her to renounce God and BLEEP him, Michael moves into the frame and blocks his face. I loved that stuff.

kermitology
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I honestly think it would be funnier with the censorship.. I'm showing the series to my girlfriend who has never seen it.. She's loving it. I'm loving it.

GOB trying to go up a pile of dirt on his segway.. Tobias trying to shoot the mice while Lindsey steals clothes.. the Hot Cops.. What a funny show.

Scrambler
06-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Prediction: This would be one of the best comedy/satirical movies ever IMO.

octothorp
06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm sure they'll find a way to brilliantly work that sensorship or lack of sensorship into the movie; nobody does the metajoke better than them. All the little details like the narrator's contempt for the scandal-makers narrator, the boom mic dropping into frame when Bob Loblaw says that someone in the room could be wearing a wire, or the whole bit about having to blur Andy Richter's brother's face ("though we can't show him, composite photography suggests that he might look something like this.")

Flashpoint
06-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Nevernude.

kermitology
06-26-2008, 01:48 PM
All the little details like the narrator's contempt for the scandal-makers narrator, the boom mic dropping into frame when Bob Loblaw says that someone in the room could be wearing a wire

That's hilarious.. I never noticed that one.

You sir, are a mouthful.

My favourite little line was the dig at FOX in season 2.

Micheal: "What do you mean you're cutting the order from 22 to 18? We already have the plans for 18!"

Narrator: "Well, they didn't.. but they could have!"

Burninator
06-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Gob: "I hear the jury is still out on science."

foofighter15
06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Lets not get our hopes up guys. Like the guy in the $3000 suit would return to a dead role? COME ON!

troutman
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Movie is going ahead!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/23/arrested-development-movi_n_169330.html

Ron Howard confirmed at Sunday's Oscars that the "Arrested Development" movie was in fact going ahead and that show creator Mitch Hurwitz is in the process of writing the script. (Video of MTV's brief interview with Howard is pasted below.)

Howard also said that he's been asked not to talk about who's in and who's out, which is an obvious reference to long-time hold-out Michael Cera.

PsYcNeT
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I just blue myself.

JoseCuervo
02-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Unlimited Juice? This parties going to be off the hook!

GreenTeaFrapp
02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I am here to see the magic.

Machiavelli
02-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Why is Cera holding out? Money?

Weiser Wonder
02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Why is Cera holding out? Money?
He doesn't want to be typecast as the awkward teen. I guess playing the awkward teen is fine for 4 straight movies but once you hit the fifth, it's too much!

But, yeah, he probably just wants more money.

Sainters7
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
He doesn't want to be typecast as the awkward teen. I guess playing the awkward teen is fine for 4 straight movies but once you hit the fifth, it's too much!

But, yeah, he probably just wants more money.

Pffft, he needs to get his head out of his ass. I understand his reasoning, especially if this was just another movie wanting him to play his same character. But these are the people that created the awkward teen that he's become famous(and rich) from. I think he owes it to them to be in the movie.

MarchHare
02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Last I heard, Cera isn't holding out for more money or anything like that, he just doesn't want to commit to anything until he sees a script (which has yet to be completed, according to troutman's post) and is given a shooting schedule. Given the fact that he's in pretty high demand at the moment, it seems like he's doing the prudent thing.

kermitology
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah, like the kid who makes millions upon millions of dollars playing an awkward teen in every movie he does is going to work for the guy who created him. COME ON!

*lame*

But it makes me so very excited. Even if Cera didn't join, I'm sure Hurwitz would come up with some hilarious way to write him out of the movie.

skins
02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
He's making a huge mistake.

Yeah_Baby
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Seems to me that Cera's head might be getting a tad big. I'm sure Year One is fine art as well.

octothorp
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, like the kid who makes millions upon millions of dollars playing an awkward teen in every movie he does is going to work for the guy who created him. COME ON!

*lame*

But it makes me so very excited. Even if Cera didn't join, I'm sure Hurwitz would come up with some hilarious way to write him out of the movie.

Yeah, this was exactly my thought - Hurwitz is so good at the metajoke that anything like this just sort of plays into his hands. I do hope that Cera changes his mind, but if he remains out, it probably won't take away from the movie at all.

HalifaxDrunk
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Come on George Michael you gotta sign on, dont leave your uncle teabag hanging.

Prototype
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Movie is going ahead!

Yeah? But where did the lighter fluid come from?

MrMastodonFarm
02-24-2009, 02:50 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/49431591_1f85a8689e.jpg

ShotDownInFlames12
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Good to hear George-Michael is in and not chicken

nIT5sFhw4sU

Barnes
02-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe Hurwitz and Howard should kiss to teach Cera a lesson.

J pold
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Bees?!

octothorp
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Maybe Hurwitz and Howard should kiss to teach Cera a lesson.

How much do you think you could get for that? Fifty dollars? Or is that just in LA?

AC
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Bees?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/AnthonyCook/beads.gif

liamenator
02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Your prayers have been answered:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/holy--michael-cera-finally-on-board-for-arrest,24313/

COGENT
02-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Your prayers have been answered:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/holy--michael-cera-finally-on-board-for-arrest,24313/

Today is a good day!

kermitology
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
http://www.beloblog.com/KVUE_Blogs/politicaljunkie/walterweatherman.jpg
And that's why you never hold out on a contract!

jar_e
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
A big bump...but Arnett just said on the tonight show that the script is currently being written and that everyone is on board.

Yeah_Baby
10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Didn't Cross say this was off a few months go?

Barnes
10-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Tony Hale said a couple weeks ago that they were working on a script.

3 Justin 3
10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Didn't Cross say this was off a few months go?

He was still angry he blue himself.

troutman
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/03/arrested-development-movie-being-written-by-mitch-hurwitz-says-peter-serafinowicz_n_818469.html

The Bluths are coming back.

Ever since its third season cancellation in 2006 that enraged comedy fans worldwide, a movie adaptation of the cult classic TV show 'Arrested Development' has been the holy grail for wistful diehards, its on-again, off-again status playing with the emotions of the DVD-wielding masses. Now, word has come that creator Mitch Hurwitz is indeed working on the script and that the film will be made.

troutman
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Jason Bateman Knows The 'Arrested Development' Movie's Plot, Says It's 'Incredible' (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/03/09/jason-bateman-arrested-development/)
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/03/09/jason-bateman-arrested-development/

TylerSVT
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Protia De Le Rossi is soooo hot.

Rhetts_the_Best
03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
5posU08HjXg

Prototype
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't understand why they couldn't 'Family Guy' the show... Nobody, outside of Bateman and Cera, has been in anything that has stuck. Bateman and Cera seem to have stuck to film, which may have been best.

I get that you can't have the show without those two, but still, there seemed to have been enough public outcry over the last few years. I wonder if it was ever proposed.

PS, those who are on the "Protia De Le Rossi is soooo hot" boat, check out 'Better Off Ted' if you have Netflix Canada. There's something about her having power that makes her hotness go to 11.

YYC in LAX
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Protia De Le Rossi is soooo hot.

She's a generous 7/10

Methanolic
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Portia and Ellen together are a 10, Portia being an 8

d_phaneuf
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
@NewYorker
The New Yorker
News @NewYorkerFest: Arrested Development coming back for one more TV season before movie. #ArrestedDevelopment #tnyfest

Mitch Hurwitz says he plans limited Arrested Development series (9-10 eps, 1 character per ep) that would lead into movie.

from http://twitter.com/#!/NewYorker

which is live blogging a panel with the cast

Sainters7
10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Hopefully, but I'll believe it when I see it. Talk of this alleged movie has been going on for years now(which this thread - started in '09 - shows). I just hope it doesn't go the way of Deadwood, when they keep talking about this supposed movie for years and then all of a sudden its 5 years later and its "ya, its not happening anymore".

d_phaneuf
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
arnettwill Will Arnett
I'm peeing with @batemanjason at the moment..and we can confirm that we are going to make new AD eps and a movie

getbak
10-02-2011, 05:13 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/batemanjason/status/120629729819766785

It's true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early '13. VERY excited!

Joborule
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Yussssssssh!

d_phaneuf
10-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks like it's for real this time, such good news

I wonder if the new episodes are gonna be on fox or somewhere else

either way, a movie would have been amazing, 10 more episodes and a movie is just icing on the cake

Eastern Girl
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I won't be happy until this bitch is in production. Too many times I've heard this kind of news and then it gets postponed and then nothing happens. When stuff starts getting filmed, I will be happy. Only then.

d_phaneuf
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/511028583_b34f93ea43_o.gif

MrMastodonFarm
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I won't be happy until this bitch is in production. Too many times I've heard this kind of news and then it gets postponed and then nothing happens. When stuff starts getting filmed, I will be happy. Only then.

Agreed... but...the rumour is now over 6 hours of more Arrested Development instead of just an hour and a half more... man I hope they get it right ,and get the feel of the show again.

Bigtime
10-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Globe and Mail article on the announcement:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/arrested-development-announces-new-show-movie/article2189148/

MrMastodonFarm
10-03-2011, 07:34 PM
So where/how will the 9 episode "season" air?

drew24
10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I think it's too early to say but if Fox doesn't want it then I read both Showtime and Netflix are interested. I have no clue if Fox even gets first dibs.

I just read the first paragraph...
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/02/netflix-or-showtime-who-will-nab-the-new-arrested-development-limited-series/

Yeah_Baby
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Frankly who cares. NEW ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lionel Steel
10-03-2011, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lButB.jpg

SHOGUN
10-03-2011, 08:25 PM
This was the funniest show ever. Why the hell did they cancel it in the first place...

Yeah_Baby
10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
This was the funniest show ever. Why the hell did they cancel it in the first place...

Because the masses were too stupid to follow it.

MrMastodonFarm
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Because the masses were too stupid to follow it.

That and Fox didn't give it a real chance to find an audience.

peter12
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I have zero expectations for the show, but reasonably high hopes. Honestly, by the end of the third season, the show was on its last legs as far as over-arcing jokes were going, and was having trouble coming up with new original ones to replace them.

That said, the show, taken as a whole, was simply brilliant. It wasn't too smart (even though that's what its fans immediately claim by association), it was just so on-point, every single episode. Very little in the way of self-indulgence.

And Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth. The true gem of the show.

robocop
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
^the Charlize Theron episodes strayed from the core of the show, they were definitely a low point

mostly that the fox execs thought that it didn't appeal to a large enough audience so they gave it really really crappy timeslots and nearly zero promos.

Yeah_Baby
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM

But that's Fox. At least it lasted past one season. But that is probably due to the awards etc.

Mike F
10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/KaptinGimpy/Humour%202011/NgfOb.gif

Even the worst AD episodes were better than 99% of the stuff on TV. I'm sure that the worst Victoria's Secret model to sleep with would still be pretty damn good

Hemi-Cuda
10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/511028583_b34f93ea43_o.gif

"####a CAW!"

"Chachi Chachi!"

"Acoodle doodle doo"

"Coo Coo Cacha!"

the Bluth family impersonating a chicken is one of the most awesome things i have ever witnessed in my life

Mean Mr. Mustard
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I just blue myself.

Da_Chief
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
"####a CAW!"

"Chachi Chachi!"

"Acoodle doodle doo"

"Coo Coo Cacha!"

the Bluth family impersonating a chicken is one of the most awesome things i have ever witnessed in my life

I was just that and laughing my head off.

N9TXVMkQ29g

getbak
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
"####a CAW!"

"Chachi Chachi!"

"Acoodle doodle doo"

"Coo Coo Cacha!"

"Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

robocop
10-03-2011, 11:22 PM
When Gob gets all excited and puts on a chicken outfit and everyone leaves, f'ing classic

corporatejay
10-03-2011, 11:31 PM

I don't know if I agree. Frankly 53 episodes is a pretty decent run. I only found arrested development after the fact.

it's more likely a result of bad timing. Ran at a time when DVRs weren't common place and tv was a different landscape.

robocop
10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't know if I agree. Frankly 53 episodes is a pretty decent run. I only found arrested development after the fact.

it's more likely a result of bad timing. Ran at a time when DVRs weren't common place and tv was a different landscape.
No you're definitely wrong, Fox refused to put the show in primetime slots and almost never promoted it. Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond would have failed with how they treated Arrested Development, it bounced around in multiple different timeslots none of them anything close to a primetime slot. It was so bad that at times the actual fans of the show(such as myself) didn't know when they could see the new episode because Fox bounced it around so much, I'd tune in on Sunday to see it and it wouldn't be on. The only reason it got 53 episodes is because it got so many awards to the absolute confusion of Fox, in the third Season the plotline with how Tobias was dying because of his hairplugs was an allusion to how fox was killing the show.

Da_Chief
10-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Can't wait. Onyon anyone?

Hemi-Cuda
10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
No you're definitely wrong, Fox refused to put the show in primetime slots and almost never promoted it. Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond would have failed with how they treated Arrested Development, it bounced around in multiple different timeslots none of them anything close to a primetime slot. It was so bad that at times the actual fans of the show(such as myself) didn't know when they could see the new episode because Fox bounced it around so much, I'd tune in on Sunday to see it and it wouldn't be on. The only reason it got 53 episodes is because it got so many awards to the absolute confusion of Fox, in the third Season the plotline with how Tobias was dying because of his hairplugs was an allusion to how fox was killing the show.

i liked all the "subtle" references to HBO and Showtime near the end

troutman
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
And Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth. The true gem of the show.

+1 - awesome performance

Magnum PEI
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp99/MagnumPEI/allusion.jpg

Sainters7
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
i liked all the "subtle" references to HBO and Showtime near the end

Agreed. And all the hints at getting cancelled. This is all paraphrasing, but when Michael mentions they're only allowed to build 13 houses this year as opposed to the usual 24, and his dad says "Oh no, that's a terrible sign!" If I wasn't renting them and saw on the back that there were only 13 episodes in season 3, I never would've realized that was a subtle reference to getting episodes cut, leading to an eventual cancellation. Such a great show.

getbak
10-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Michael: So, what's going on with the fundraiser?
George Sr.: Well, I don't think the Home Builders Organization is gonna be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's "Show Time." I think we have to have a show during dinner.

Kidder
10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I loved how before they got the cancellation notice Ron Howard makes another one of those subtle references and then says something like: "Seriously, please tell your friends about the show".

Ah, Mrs. Featherbottom, how I missed you.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3600000/AD-Animated-gif-arrested-development-3695371-300-169.gif

This is terrific news if it actually comes together and the World doesn't end in 2012!

QuadCityImages
11-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Can't believe no one's posted this yet...

New "Arrested Development" episodes coming to Netfli (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-media-arresteddevelopmenttre7ai032-20111118,0,442383.story)x -ChicagoTribune

This is just another step in the slow destruction of the current cable/network system. And awesome news.

getbak
11-19-2011, 02:21 AM

New "Arrested Development" episodes coming to Netfli (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-media-arresteddevelopmenttre7ai032-20111118,0,442383.story)x -ChicagoTribune

This is just another step in the slow destruction of the current cable/network system. And awesome news.
Oh, like the guy in the $5000 suit is going to pay $9.95 a month to watch this.

COME ON!!!

GP_Matt
11-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I wonder if Netflix Canada is going to have the rights as well. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the networks picked up the Canadian rights to it.

MrMastodonFarm
11-19-2011, 08:47 AM
So we've now seen two cancelled Fox shows return in other networks/areas. Futurama to Comedy Central and Arrested Development to Netflix.

Netflix would be perfect for FireFly too, just saying.

First Lady
11-19-2011, 09:03 AM

I never watched the series when it was on, but the husband is a diehard fan and has converted me.

The DVD's were in our house so fast you could still smell the banana stand burning.

I don't think Netflix will get AR fans to sign up just for this; but AR might get some new converts who are already Netflix subscribers.

Yeah_Baby
11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Excuse me? Of course AD fans will sign up for Netflix if they're not so see new AD. That's uh, what makes them fans...

MrMastodonFarm
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, this is the new episodes were talking about First Lady. I don't currently have Netflix, and if I don't by the time the new series start I will get it then.

House of Cards is a good addition too if it lives up to the hype.

Lights Out
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Just a little update! Entire cast confirmed. 10 episodes and a movie!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/arrested-development-new-episodes-cast_n_1241409.html?ref=entertainment

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxtif57tDq1r4956t.gif

octothorp
01-30-2012, 02:04 PM
SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsprorfR0q1r1bcxso1_r1_250.gif

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsprorfR0q1r1bcxso2_r1_250.gif
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsprorfR0q1r1bcxso3_r1_250.gif

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsprorfR0q1r1bcxso4_r1_250.gif

Lights Out
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly2zbnOhlN1qfo3ndo1_500.gif

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw180qnNPA1qgzg6eo1_r1_250.gifhttp://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw180qnNPA1qgzg6eo2_r1_250.gif

Locke
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Good News Everyone!

The Reverend
01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Fantastic news! This show is why I decided to become an Analyst AND a Therapist.

Notorious Honey Badger
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
i just blue myself reading this news

troutman
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I wanna cry so bad, but I don’t think I can spare the moisture

MrMastodonFarm
01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Taste the happy!
http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/arresteddev.gif

MrMastodonFarm
01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/365694/thumbs/r-ARRESTED-DEVELOPMENT-CHICKEN-DANCE-large570.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5804/127896817.jpg
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-PX962_arrest_G_20111002210156.jpg

gTsu-ks9Gb8

Has anyone in that family even seen a chicken?

The Reverend
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I understand more than you'll never know.

HalifaxDrunk
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
This is awesome news, I'll use it as an excuse to score more pot and wave my ass at the co-eds.

nik-
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
and the good news is that if this doesn't work out, there's always money in the Banana Stand.

MrMastodonFarm
02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Michael:I think George Michael is hiding Ann in the Atitic...
Lindsey:...from who, the Nazi's?

troutman
04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Mitch Hurwitz Talks Arrested Development 2.0

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/mitch-hurwitz-talks-arrested-development-20.html

The Arrested Development reunion took another step toward reality on Tuesday when creator Mitch Hurwitz and several members of the cast appeared onstage together at a Netflix-sponsored event in Las Vegas. Speaking on the floor of the National Association of Broadcasters convention, Netflix chief Ted Sarandos confirmed that all ten episodes of Arrested's long-awaited fourth season will premiere together on a single day sometime next year. Hurwitz also confirmed that production is set to begin this summer, but he also dropped a new nugget of information about what form the Arrested revival will take.

Hurwitz and the cast made no mention onstage of the rumored Arrested Development movie that's been expected (http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/arrested-development-movie-will-shoot-this-summer.html) to follow the TV revival. He did, however, say he'd very much be open to a season five or six on Netflix.

Bob Loblaw will return.

vektor
04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
God I hope the new episodes are funny and not forced. I could see the show coming back exactly like family guy did if the new content is original, if the jokes are rehashed it'll tank really quick.

MrMastodonFarm
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I wonder what the thought process is for Netlfix releasing entire seasons at once.

They did it with Lillyhammer earlier this year.

Misterpants
04-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder what the thought process is for Netlfix releasing entire seasons at once.

They did it with Lillyhammer earlier this year.

Yeah, seems counter productive if you want to leverage it to drive subscriptions to the service. The only thing I can think of is that they really want to differentiate themselves from traditional television networks.

getbak
04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Bob Loblaw will return.
Excellent. I love his Law Blog.

Any word on Steve Holt (STEVE HOLT!)?

MrMastodonFarm
04-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, seems counter productive if you want to leverage it to drive subscriptions to the service. The only thing I can think of is that they really want to differentiate themselves from traditional television networks.

Yeah, it's really weird. I hope they change it. It's much better to do a weekly release, creates discussion about each episode as they air.

Bill Bumface
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I want Gene Parmesan!

MrMastodonFarm
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I want Gene Parmesan!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kv535qb3rX1qzeh86o1_500.jpg

WesternCanadaKing
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Michael: We have a private eye, huh?
Lucille: Oh I hired him a hundred years ago to find out if your father was cheating on me; he never did find anything.
Michael: Well he can't be very good then.

Bigtime
04-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Crappy news, apparently Netflix Canada will NOT have the new episodes.

FaaBvBgQbh8

BlackEleven
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Crappy news, apparently Netflix Canada will NOT have the new episodes.

Seriously? If Netflix owns the rights, what's stopping them from putting it on every Netflix around the world?

Bill Bumface
04-26-2012, 09:10 AM
And they wonder why we torrent...

d_phaneuf
04-26-2012, 09:13 AM
seriously

they can't even blame people now for doing it

getbak
04-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm sure by the time they actually debut, they'll realize that they made a huge mistake and reverse the decision.

It really makes no sense. They can either take my $10 and let me download them legally, or get no money from me and I'll find some way to watch them anyway.

The only thing that makes any sense would be if the producers are trying to find a Canadian broadcaster to distribute the show, but unless they can find someone who will air all 10 episodes back-to-back-to-back, they're still going to lose a lot of business to torrents.

With Netflix trying to position itself as a legitimate source of original content, you'd think they'd want to have worldwide exclusivity.

Russic
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
There must be certain hoops to jump through for distribution beyond the states that we aren't aware of. Ignoring other countries for this is just too stupid.

trackercowe
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Has there been any indication on when the new episodes will actually air?

getbak
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Has there been any indication on when the new episodes will actually air?
Mid 2013 at the earliest. They haven't even started filming the new episodes.

kermitology
04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
They've made a huge mistake.

Yeah_Baby
04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
*actually decides to look into IP blockers and Proxy Servers*

trackercowe
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I really hope the new episodes meet the standards of seasons 1 and 2, and not the wretchedness that was the third season. The majority of that season is pretty much unwatchable in my view.

I don't know if they were rushed to finish the series, if they were pissed off at Fox for cancelling the show, or the drop in quality was because of the writers strike, but they really screwed up that final season.

MarchHare
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
How I will react to this. (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones)

(Contains some minor NSFW text)

Rhettzky
04-28-2012, 07:24 AM
I really hope the new episodes meet the standards of seasons 1 and 2, and not the wretchedness that was the third season. The majority of that season is pretty much unwatchable in my view.

I don't know if they were rushed to finish the series, if they were pissed off at Fox for cancelling the show, or the drop in quality was because of the writers strike, but they really screwed up that final season.

I thought that the episode in season 3 with the mole and jetpack was the best one of the entire series. The way it came together at the end was brilliant!

octothorp
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought that the episode in season 3 with the mole and jetpack was the best one of the entire series. The way it came together at the end was brilliant!

Agreed, my favorite of the whole series, too. But I actually have a pretty hard time coming up with a bad episode throughout all three seasons.

MrMastodonFarm
04-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Seriously? If Netflix owns the rights, what's stopping them from putting it on every Netflix around the world?

Fox still owns the show, Netlfix owns the distribution rights... So who knows how that all plays out. Huge let down though.

OilKiller
04-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Fox still owns the show, Netlfix owns the distribution rights... So who knows how that all plays out. Huge let down though.

Pretty sure in Canada Canwest/Global own the rights as well and would get first crack. That is most likely why there would be an issue with Netflix showing it in Canada. Not sure it would have anything to do with Fox for Canadian distribution.

MrMastodonFarm
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Pretty sure in Canada Canwest/Global own the rights as well and would get first crack. That is most likely why there would be an issue with Netflix showing it in Canada. Not sure it would have anything to do with Fox for Canadian distribution.

Fox in terms of who they sold distribution rights to in Canada.

CBC was running it daily for a while.

OilKiller
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Fox in terms of who they sold distribution rights to in Canada.

Sure, but once sold, they have no say.

CBC was running it daily for a while.

Yes, syndication episodes. New episodes I'm sure are still owned (rights wise), but Canwest/Global.

This is no different unfortunately from the reasons why there is such a discrepancy in content in Canada compared to the U.S. Rights issues always getting in the way and basically screwing over the consumer.

RW99
05-19-2012, 08:36 PM
So after years of making fun of AD fans for not letting it go, this month I watched all 53 eps on Netflix. It was actually pretty good. Like a few have mentioned, I think it fell off a bit in the 3rd season. But I am looking forward to the new content!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/213/511001754_623b266556_o.gif

getbak
07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
It's starting to happen...

https://p.twimg.com/Axemlz-CIAADJdl.jpg
The Writers' Room (http://t.co/yhSRZET4)

https://p.twimg.com/AxfAxU7CMAAwURn.jpg
Ron, Jason, and Mitch (http://t.co/wcyEPqpk)

HalifaxDrunk
07-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I am so excited that my jean cutoffs are not effectively hiding my thunder. I can't wait til next year.

http://i.imgur.com/GtU6k.png

FanIn80
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
0mAInAOK2fc

d_phaneuf
07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Jason Bateman
‏@batemanjason
My son, arriving yesterday (https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/229299611175641088)

https://p.twimg.com/Ay6iyA_CYAA_cuL.jpg

getbak
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Jason Bateman (@batemanjason)

First day. Away we go... pic.twitter.com/ci8rXy78 (http://t.co/ci8rXy78)

Looks like they just hired the cast of Workaholics.

HalifaxDrunk
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Yippie! And to celebrate filming starting, I present you Mr Banana Grabber.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5nlq6mu1E1qa9armo1_500.jpg

AC
08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eY3Qq.jpg
Jason Bateman tweeted this picture from the set on the 1st day of shooting.

3 Justin 3
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I can see Ders and Adam, but no Blake.

Awesome to see the guys from Workaholics in AD!

Barnes
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
What's the reason behind the cameos? I haven't seen Workaholics yet.

d_phaneuf
08-10-2012, 06:49 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8jx9cvhdG1r8wy9io2_250.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8jx9cvhdG1r8wy9io3_500.jpg

getbak
08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I can see Ders and Adam, but no Blake.

Awesome to see the guys from Workaholics in AD!
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/arrested-development-workaholics.jpg

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/david-cross-arrested-development-season-4-385x600.jpg
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/david-cross-portia-de-rossi-arrested-development-season-4-436x600.jpg

Hemi-Cuda
08-10-2012, 10:46 PM
David Cross really should keep that mustache as a permanent feature. so glorious

Pacem
08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
So excited to see that they've started filming. Two weeks ago I rewatched the whole series. Such a funny show. So many little jokes all thru out the episodes. I hope they keep with the true format of the show and its as well written as it was before.

Kind of crappy to see netflix screw Canada over tho. I'll be able to find it on my own, but this show would have gotten me to actually sign up for netflix finally.

Coach
08-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I have Neflix Canada and watched all of Arrested Development on it just a couple months ago.

GreatWhiteEbola
08-11-2012, 01:40 PM
So excited to see that they've started filming. Two weeks ago I rewatched the whole series. Such a funny show. So many little jokes all thru out the episodes. I hope they keep with the true format of the show and its as well written as it was before.

Kind of crappy to see netflix screw Canada over tho. I'll be able to find it on my own, but this show would have gotten me to actually sign up for netflix finally.

I think it's a matter of the Canadian rights being owned by Shaw/Global or Bell/CTV (I'm not sure who owns the rights)... and less about NetFlix screwing Canada over, I may be wrong though.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I think it's a matter of the Canadian rights being owned by Shaw/Global or Bell/CTV (I'm not sure who owns the rights... and less about NetFlix screwing Canada over, I may be wrong though.

I think it's CBC that owns the rights.

GreatWhiteEbola
08-11-2012, 01:56 PM
I think it's CBC that owns the rights.

Ahhh, the seldom noticed Canadian network...I know CBC has syndication rights...

Bigtime
08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Hey props to CBC for picking up the rights to an amazing show, glad my tax dollars paid for that. :D

GreatWhiteEbola
08-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey props to CBC for picking up the rights to an amazing show, glad my tax dollars paid for that. :D

http://www.torontostandard.com/culture/new-arrested-development-season-not-in-canada

Arrested Development is one of Netflix's first forays into producing original content, and for now, the company is refusing to allocate any international distribution rights or privileges to other networks.

Boo Radley
08-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I have just started watching this show. I can't believe I made it through graduate school without Arrested Development.

Next time one of my technicians is concerned about the safety of their chemistry they will receive the Will Arnett Chicken Dance treatment. Kuh-ka-kuh-ka-kaw! (Kybosh might be the only one to fully appreciates this).

Hopefully I can speed through the series before the movie comes out. Game of Thrones, another show I only just started watching, took me two weeks.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I know this is the movie thread but John Slattery is set to join the cast for a few episodes.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/John+Slattery+join+Arrested+Development/7110761/story.html

HalifaxDrunk
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
53 'Arrested Development' Jokes You Probably Missed (http://splitsider.com/2012/08/53-arrested-development-jokes-you-probably-missed/)

gottabekd
12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
New Arrested Development season to air in Canada, Netflix confirms

“With the excitement surrounding the return of Arrested Development, we are thrilled to premiere the new season of the show in Canada at the same time as we launch it in the US,” Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix, said in a statement.

http://o.canada.com/2012/12/10/new-arrested-development-season-to-air-in-canada-netflix-confirms/

getbak
12-10-2012, 12:41 PM
New Arrested Development season to air in Canada, Netflix confirms

http://o.canada.com/2012/12/10/new-arrested-development-season-to-air-in-canada-netflix-confirms/
Excellent. Just as I predicted:

I'm sure by the time they actually debut, they'll realize that they made a huge mistake and reverse the decision.

It really makes no sense. They can either take my $10 and let me download them legally, or get no money from me and I'll find some way to watch them anyway.

The only thing that makes any sense would be if the producers are trying to find a Canadian broadcaster to distribute the show, but unless they can find someone who will air all 10 episodes back-to-back-to-back, they're still going to lose a lot of business to torrents.

With Netflix trying to position itself as a legitimate source of original content, you'd think they'd want to have worldwide exclusivity.

getbak
12-11-2012, 09:46 PM
More good news: http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/arrested-development-pauses-production-as-netflix-episodic-order-grows/

12-15 new episodes instead of 10.

MrMastodonFarm
12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I just hope to god Netflix has learned how to release their own series properly. The last one (forget the name, dude from Sopranos, musician) was just dumped, all ten episodes at once. They need to release it one episode at a time per week.

Yeah, nowadays people just tend to consume series lock stock but you still need that initial release to create buzz, hype, and discussion.

CMPunk
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I just hope to god Netflix has learned how to release their own series properly. The last one (forget the name, dude from Sopranos, musician) was just dumped, all ten episodes at once. They need to release it one episode at a time per week.

Yeah, nowadays people just tend to consume series lock stock but you still need that initial release to create buzz, hype, and discussion.

No, who wants to wait? I want a new show, I want 6 seasons of it and I want it now!

HPLovecraft
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

They're releasing them all at once.

Hemi-Cuda
12-12-2012, 10:21 AM

what do they gain by doing this? they're not getting any ad revenue, and there's no such thing as primetime or a bad slot placement on Netflix. people who have the service are used to having full seasons of a show at their disposal, suddenly having one arbitrarily releasing an episode every week would undoubtedly piss some people off

and don't forget that the new season of AD is not about getting any new fans. it's all about appealing to the cult fanbase of the show and getting them to sign up for Netflix (like me)

polak
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm going to start watching this show this week. The comparisons it gets with my favorite show ever are just to common for me to ignore.

I hope it's good.

3 seasons should go by pretty quick.

handgroen
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm going to start watching this show this week. The comparisons it gets with my favorite show ever are just to common for me to ignore.

I hope it's good.

what's your favorite show?

polak
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
what's your favorite show?

7LV7M_WeGX8

:)

Hemi-Cuda
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM

I hope it's good.

Arrested Development was a huge influence on Community. rapid fire jokes that make you pay attention or you miss them, ongoing gags though multiple episodes, self awareness/deprecation. but AD one-ups Community in the casting department. i'm still kind of baffled how they managed to get so many incredible comedic actors together in one show, low budget at that

polak
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Is there a Troy and Abed equivalent? Best duo on TV IMO...

I'm stoaked to start it though.

GreatWhiteEbola
12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
what do they gain by doing this?

2-3 months of subscription vs 1 month?

malcolmk14
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I think AD is a lot more subtle than Community. Both funny, but I don't think they are similar shows at all.

Nuje
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I think AD is a lot more subtle than Community. Both funny, but I don't think they are similar shows at all.

I'd agree that AD is more subtle, but they do have a similar element of making up their own jokes (and beating them to death in the most hilarious of fashions) and are both very clever. You really do have to pay attention hard to AD though, as you can easily miss stuff. Then again, that's just incentive to watch the whole series again.

I shall hide...er...sit on my couch, and do just that (what a pro)....(forced I know....but I just remembered that guy)

Hemi-Cuda
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM

AD never had a character bow out in the start of an episode, then deliver a baby in the background at the end. or have a Beetlejuice gag that took 3 seasons to deliver. that's right up there with blue hand prints randomly appearing all over the house

OutOfTheCube
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
AD and Community are the two best comedies of this millennium, easily.

3 Justin 3
12-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Archer is more similar to AD than Community is.

Hemi-Cuda
12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Archer is more similar to AD than Community is.

aside from Jessica Walter playing an animated version of Lucille Bluth, not really. there is nothing subtle about Archer's humor (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Sidney Crosby's Hat
01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Some more details on the upcoming 14 episodes of Arrested Development (due in May):

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/09/arrested-development-tca-panel-may-netflix/

When you read about the format, it makes sense why they're releasing all 14 episodes at the same time.

vektor
01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Of the two shows I'd say Community wins because it never really jumped the shark as where the third season of Arrested Development was quite weak in comparison to the first two. The Charlize Theron storyline in my opinion ruined Arrested Development. Community has no real head scratchers, the show was good from beginning to end.

nik-
01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, the third season of AD was really bad.

To Be Quite Honest
01-13-2013, 02:12 AM
Of the two shows I'd say Community wins because it never really jumped the shark as where the third season of Arrested Development was quite weak in comparison to the first two. The Charlize Theron storyline in my opinion ruined Arrested Development. Community has no real head scratchers, the show was good from beginning to end.

Thanks for your opinion!

troutman
02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
http://tvline.com/2013/02/19/arrested-development-season-4-kristin-wiig-young-lucille/

Saturday Night Live superstar Kristen Wiig (http://tvline.com/tag/kristen-wiig/) is set to make an appearance in Netflix’s anticipated Arrested Development (http://tvline.com/tag/arrested-development/) revival as a younger version of Jessica Walter’s boozy matriarch Lucille Bluth.

Last month, Netflix announced that Arrested Development‘s 14-episode fourth season would be available sometime in May.

In addition to Wiig, guest stars on tap for the relaunch include Seth Rogen, Liza Minnelli (http://tvline.com/2012/09/10/liza-minnelli-arrested-development-the-middle-once-upon-a-time-season-2/) (aka Lucille 2), Conan O’Brien (http://tvline.com/2012/10/24/community-season-4-halloween-game/), John Slattery (Mad Men) (http://tvline.com/2012/08/15/iarrested-development-john-slattery/), Chris Diamantopoulos (24) (http://tvline.com/2012/10/10/arrested-development-community-chris-diamantopoulos/), Isla Fisher (Wedding Crashers) and Terry Crews (Everybody Hates Chris) (http://tvline.com/2012/09/14/isla-fisher-terry-crews-arrested-development/).

troutman
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388580_241134189366427_814292251_n.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/38KSAgm.jpg

This is all so exciting.

PsYcNeT
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Not soon enough :<

neo45
04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I like how they are giving us all the episodes at once

It's a "fire sale" of episodes, if you will

FanIn80
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM

The only head scratcher I can think of is how on earth nobody followed that post up with this...

4jm6B31HKBw

saskflames69
04-04-2013, 11:33 PM
My goal is to sleep between 5pm and 11pm on the 25th, prepare the munchies and stay up all night watching AD. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

GreatWhiteEbola
04-05-2013, 12:02 AM
On the 25th day of May in the year 2013, I will be renewing my Netflix account.

saskflames69
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/06/8u9yhy7y.jpg

PsYcNeT
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
On the 25th day of May in the year 2013, I will be renewing my Netflix account.

Arrested Development all weekend, and then Primus on the 29th. Gonna be a fun week.

troutman
04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/521801_244024699077376_856833777_n.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6NpuHVt.jpg

getbak
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
First footage from the new episodes (although, it's apparently an outtake, so it won't be in the new episodes): http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/25/arrested-development-buster-lucille/

Also, as of right now we're one month and 90 minutes away from the release of the new episodes.

Oling_Roachinen
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM

Ouch, what a couple months can do...

getbak
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJERMgVCIAAnJgk.jpg

Premiere event at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood tonight.

Less than a month away!

getbak
05-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Less than two weeks away!!! It's the final countdown.

vzVhPCMAxWQ

sun
05-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I have a feeling this is gonna be wildly disappointing. Why can't we just be content with what we have? Isn't part of the appeal/popularity of AD that 90% of us discovered it after it had already been cancelled? The longing for something is better than actually having it sometimes, you know? How can it possibly live up to the hype? I remember thinking I'd kill for Family Guy to come back and when it did, I barely watched any episodes and haven't watched a new one in years.

And I don't understand why netflix is realeasing all the episodes at once. We've waited seven(?) years for this and now we're gonna blow our load watching it all at once in one sitting? I just imagine going "huh. well, that was fun. what now?". I just don't get it. I think I'll just watch one episode per week anyways.

I was discussing this with some other people tonight and they all disagreed, so I thought I'd vent.

MrMastodonFarm
05-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Yeah I disagree with everything said too.

II was initially nervous of the all episodes at once too but have changed my thinking on that with the release of House of Cards.

Yeah_Baby
05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Netflix is about binge watching. You finish one show/season, and then watch a new one the next month.

Mike F
05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I have a feeling this is gonna be wildly disappointing.
I have faith it won't be, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Why can't we just be content with what we have?

Because it wasn't nearly enough. The show ended because not enough people were watching, not because the quality ever declined.

Isn't part of the appeal/popularity of AD that 90% of us discovered it after it had already been cancelled?
No. The appeal is the writing and acting.

The longing for something is better than actually having it sometimes, you know?
So you wish you'd never actually had sex? Or again after the first time

How can it possibly live up to the hype?
By bringing back the same writers and actors.

I remember thinking I'd kill for Family Guy to come back and when it did, I barely watched any episodes and haven't watched a new one in years.

I longed for it to come back, and watch it every week.

And I don't understand why netflix is realeasing all the episodes at once. We've waited seven(?) years for this and now we're gonna blow our load watching it all at once in one sitting? I just imagine going "huh. well, that was fun. what now?". I just don't get it.

When you discovered it after it was cancelled and thus had all of the episodes available at once, did you blow your load all at once then go "huh. well, that was fun. what now?"

I think I'll just watch one episode per week anyways.
And there's your answer

I was discussing this with some other people tonight and they all disagreed....

Expect a lot of that.

getbak
05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
JDiJmA2ZIDo

http://InsertMeAnywhere.biz

AC
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
http://i.minus.com/iQAgFDzRLDkgm.gif

nik-
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Because it wasn't nearly enough. The show ended because not enough people were watching, not because the quality ever declined.

That's misremembering season 3 :confused:

MrMastodonFarm
05-15-2013, 11:52 PM
That's misremembering season 3 :confused:

The third season had some bad plot lines but it was still genius level comedy writing. This whole 3rd season sucks thing some have been pushing is garbage.

kermitology
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
The third season had some bad plot lines but it was still genius level comedy writing. This whole 3rd season sucks thing some have been pushing is garbage.

In the third season they seemed to embrace the fact that they were going to be cancelled and just went nuts.

The whole Home Builders Organization thing referencing when there was talk of the show being picked up by HBO or Showtime.. brilliant.

Sliver
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna be wildly disappointing. Why can't we just be content with what we have? Isn't part of the appeal/popularity of AD that 90% of us discovered it after it had already been cancelled? The longing for something is better than actually having it sometimes, you know? How can it possibly live up to the hype? I remember thinking I'd kill for Family Guy to come back and when it did, I barely watched any episodes and haven't watched a new one in years.

And I don't understand why netflix is realeasing all the episodes at once. We've waited seven(?) years for this and now we're gonna blow our load watching it all at once in one sitting? I just imagine going "huh. well, that was fun. what now?". I just don't get it. I think I'll just watch one episode per week anyways.

I was discussing this with some other people tonight and they all disagreed, so I thought I'd vent.

I really hope you were stoned when you wrote that because it truly sounds ######ed.

If it sucks, oh well. If it's good, awesome. But not wanting them to air anything...your opinion just makes no sense whatsoever. Seriously, it actually makes me mad for some reason.

trackercowe
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
The third season did suck when compared to the first two seasons; compare it to other sitcoms and it's quite good I suppose. But generally it's really only worth watching the first two seasons. Not like it's a real issue though as most sitcoms generally have poor seasons. That and Fox threatening cancellation, and the writers strike at the time didn't help either.

I think the next season will be great, it's been off the air for so long now that they must have a ton of ideas to work with, and have a commitment from Netflix for a full season with no other issues to worry about. The only small thing I am worried about is how much of a role Cera is going to play, as he's too overexposed these days. Not going to bother using Netflix, but I do plan on having an AD marathon in a couple weeks.

Brannigans Law
05-16-2013, 04:30 PM
I was hooked from AD from the start, almost an accident that I saw it on TV and Gob telling his brother that tricks are for whores had me hooked. The decline in quality from season 2 to 3 was dramatic, but as tracker said it was still better than most other shows. I`m very reserved with the quality of what the new AD will be. But excited.

MrMastodonFarm
05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
My favourite Michael quote comes from episode one of season three.

Michael Bluth: I worked it out so we could relocate the cabin but it is going to be up at Tahoe for the next couple of days... maybe you can take a date up there!
Lucille: How am I supposed to find someone willing to go into that musty old clap trap?
Michael: ....*blank stare* The cabin...! yes yes, well that would be difficult too.

It's not just the funny joke but the way Jason Bateman's perfect comedic timing, it's a perfect pause with that little smack of the mouth as he realizes she's referring to the cabin.

The right after that Gob appears behind the closing door "I didn't even know we had a cabin.." followed by the bleeped out F word by Michael.

It's perfect.

troutman
05-17-2013, 01:09 PM

+1.

Justine Bateman.

Mike F
05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Complete guide to running gags (http://apps.npr.org/arrested-development/).

trackercowe
05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Complete guide to running gags (http://apps.npr.org/arrested-development/).
Wow, I can't believe someone took all that time to rewatch every episode, and follow all the reoccurring gags and plot points. Great stuff though.

sun
05-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I have faith it won't be, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

No. The appeal is the writing and acting.

So you wish you'd never actually had sex? Or again after the first time

By bringing back the same writers and actors.

I longed for it to come back, and watch it every week.

When you discovered it after it was cancelled and thus had all of the episodes available at once, did you blow your load all at once then go "huh. well, that was fun. what now?"

And there's your answer

Expect a lot of that.

lol such a defensive post. I would say let's agree to disagree, but your thoughts are so poorly presented, that I don't understand your post and won't respond to it.

I really hope you were stoned when you wrote that because it truly sounds ######ed.

If it sucks, oh well. If it's good, awesome. But not wanting them to air anything...your opinion just makes no sense whatsoever. Seriously, it actually makes me mad for some reason.

Mad? Hahaha relax, brother. You're obviously a "better to have loved and lost" type person. The very widely held opinion that wanting is sometimes better than having makes you mad? How do puppy dogs and rainbows make you feel?

Myself, I would have preferred that none of these ever happened:

Star Wars 1-3 (and 7-infinity), Indiana Jones 4, seasons 4-x of the US office, new Tron, Final Fantasy X-2, The Matrix 2 and 3, return of Family Guy, CGI TMNT movie, Simpsons movie, return of Futurama (debatable), and so on. It's a long list.

Just my philosophical opinion, obviously. Of course I am hoping and praying that the new AD lives up to the old episodes (even though it jumped the shark late in s2). But I also think it's okay to be worried that they've made a huge mistake and I'll be doing the charlie brown walk after viewing it.

Next time someone asks my thoughts about the return of AD, I guess I should just respond "I have no problem with that".

trackercowe
05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
So is anyone else going to do an AD marathon Sunday? My buddies are planning one. I hate sitcoms these days, but I can't wait for this one.

Might have to check this out as well: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1240538/

troutman
05-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but are we certain that this is available on Netflix Canada?

MrMastodonFarm
05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but are we certain that this is available on Netflix Canada?

Yup, confirmed. (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2013/04/04/arrested_development_fans_in_canada_circle_this_da te.html)

undercoverbrother
05-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Yup, confirmed.

Guess I just justified Netflixs to my wife.

MrMastodonFarm
05-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Guess I just justified Netflixs to my wife.

http://i51.tinypic.com/24ne7ip.gif

Bill Bumface
05-22-2013, 04:47 PM
My favourite Michael quote comes from episode one of season three.

It's not just the funny joke but the way Jason Bateman's perfect comedic timing, it's a perfect pause with that little smack of the mouth as he realizes she's referring to the cabin.

The right after that Gob appears behind the closing door "I didn't even know we had a cabin.." followed by the bleeped out F word by Michael.

It's perfect.

That kind of reminds me of:

Michael: Get rid of The Seaward.
Lucille: I'll leave when I'm good and ready.

MrMastodonFarm
05-22-2013, 04:53 PM
That kind of reminds me of:

Michael: Get rid of The Seaward.
Lucille: I'll leave when I'm good and ready.

Holy crap, I had to google that joke. I must have been laughing too much at the Paper-Rock-Scissors "Well, rock sinks boat" part previously to ever notice that.

It's the show that just keeps on giving.

Mike F
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
lol such a defensive post. I would say let's agree to disagree, but your thoughts are so poorly presented, that I don't understand your post and won't respond to it.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280403082_gob-and-lindsay-chicken-dance.gif

Sainters7
05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/24ne7ip.gif

Dude just doesn't look right without the big duster...or a car in the background. I really miss that show :(

trackercowe
05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Dude just doesn't look right without the big duster...or a car in the background. I really miss that show :(
Justified is better than Deadwood. There I said it. Blame Molly Parker for that one, she was just irritating in that show.

Hemi-Cuda
05-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Justified is better than Deadwood. There I said it. Blame Molly Parker for that one, she was just irritating in that show.

You San Francisco ####sucker

surferguy
05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
How is the discussion etiquette going to work in this thread regarding spoilers with an entire new season being released all at once?

getbak
05-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Five new clips released today: http://backfromgettingcanned.netflix.com/

Including...

9Qh9AUF6EMU

BEES!!!

MrMastodonFarm
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
How is the discussion etiquette going to work in this thread regarding spoilers with an entire new season being released all at once?

Once something airs, you enter a thread at your own risk. So if you don't want to see the show being discussed if you haven't watch the new episodes, don't come into the thread at 1am Sunday morning.

Avoid all PM's from GreenLantrrn as a safety measure.