PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Most Irritatingly Impossible Old-School Video Games

arsenal
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_15696_10-most-irritatingly-impossible-old-school-video-games.html

Some language NSFW, but it's small and should be ok. Just as long as someone isn't reading over your shoulder.

But I remember playing every single one of these games. I could probably name a few more (ie: Ridge Racer).

JD
12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
And somehow this article managed to resurrect very old feelings of intense pride that I beat some of these games.

Ninja Gaiden.... I must have frightened the dog away a million times playing that one. Ughh.. but it was one of those games that once you figured out the patterns, you could repeat the feat over and over. A handy thing considering that you had to show each of your friends what you're capable of when they came over.

Barnes
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
How could Top Gun 2 not be on the list. I played it for years and saw the second level once.

arsenal
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I remember the first top gun... man.. trying to land on the air craft carrier, or even refueling where freaking impossible...

BlackEleven
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I remember the first top gun... man.. trying to land on the air craft carrier, or even refueling where freaking impossible...

You should check out the Angry Ninentdo Nerd's review on that game.

ofM11nPzFo0

In fact, I'm convinced this article ripped off most of their content from the Angry Nintendo Nerd. All his reviews are hilarious. Just search youtube for the other ones.

Locke
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
You should check out the Angry Ninentdo Nerd's review on that game.
In fact, I'm convinced this article ripped off most of their content from the Angry Nintendo Nerd. All his reviews are hilarious. Just search youtube for the other ones.

Angry Nintendo Nerd must have blood-pressure issues....his reviews are hysterical though.:D

burn_this_city
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
The most irritating for me was the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES.. there was only like 2 levels you could beat before it was almost impossible.. Also a boy and his blob on NES was tough, you never got more than a life or two and had to do the entire game like that..

Got Miikka?
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Have to disagree with Contra at No. 2. 3 lives is plenty if you play smart and upgrade to the right weapons - lazer or spreadgun - and it's not like 3 lives is the ceiling; you can stockpile them by not dying through the first few stages, which are all cake.

I have beaten this game many times without using the classic Contra cheat code. But, the game IS more fun when you cheat because you can throw away lives at will and try to be really creative.

And the end boss, the big pulsating heart? Come on. So easy.

I-Hate-Hulse
12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
How could Top Gun 2 not be on the list. I played it for years and saw the second level once.

If you liked the NES Top Gun series, be sure to check out Ace Combat 6 on X360. It's a great remake of that arcade super plane genre (planes carry like 180 missiles). Complete with landing and mid air refuelling sequences.

Hakan
12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Battletoads

So true. That hover jet level was freaking impossible.

Burninator
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Terminator for the Super Nintendo is one I would add to this list. There was one stage (level 2 or 3) where you were on the back of a truck and you had to shoot down a large plane. It was almost impossible. I did it only once. Drove me insane.

badnarik
12-03-2007, 12:49 PM
He was making the plane go down whenever it said up. He must be as stupid as he is angry.

habernac
12-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Not a home video game, but the arcade version of Super Zaxxon was stupidly difficult. The owner of the place was probably rubbing his hands together with glee after watching people toss quarter after quarter into this thing the first week. Wasn't too happy the next week as no one would go near it.

corporatejay
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
On more than one occasion I beat contra without dying a single time. You get spray gun in the first level and ride all the way through....it's doable, but hard. I also beat it regularly without continuing on three lives as well.

kdogg
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Battletoads - you pretty much had to memorize the sequence of blocks.

That sucks....many...many...hours gone when I was a kid doing that level.
________
SamanthaKelly (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SamanthaKelly)

JD
12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Battletoads - you pretty much had to memorize the sequence of blocks.

That sucks....many...many...hours gone when I was a kid doing that level.
Yup, but I can still feel that shot of adrenaline I'd get after getting through that level. At the end when the thing speeds up to an insane velocity where you basically had to time your swerving with no time to react at all...

LChoy
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I've seen the 2nd level of Top Gun 2 only a few times, but then, I could never dodge the trees :whaa:
(Oh wait, I got pass the trees on the 2nd level to face the boss, a big helicopter, but I died, and never got that far ever again.

Total Recall for the NES was another game I spent countless hours on, but was too hard for me

feartheflames
12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
silver surfer was soo bloody hard

IntenseFan
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
The Adventures of Bayou Billy. It was the bane of my existence. You couldn't even win if you cheated!

This guy agrees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfdCJQs3rI (Pt 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRfDym50vg (Pt 2)

icarus
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Some more to add:

Bubble Bobble. Who even knows what the upper level looks like.
Ghostbusters. A terrible game and impossible to get up the steps with all the ghosts.
Platoon. Too easy to get lost in that trenchy sewer thing and charlie popping out everywhere.
Jurassic Park for SNES. Because you couldn't save it you would basically have to devote 20 hours of your life to it to win, and you'd just get tired of getting to some Dilophosaur-filled dead end with your night vision goggles and find out you have to go all the way back.

CaptainCrunch
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Some more to add:

Ghostbusters. A terrible game and impossible to get up the steps with all the ghosts.
Platoon. Too easy to get lost in that trenchy sewer thing and charlie popping out everywhere.
Jurassic Park for SNES. Because you couldn't save it you would basically have to devote 20 hours of your life to it to win, and you'd just get tired of getting to some Dilophosaur-filled dead end with your night vision goggles and find out you have to go all the way back.

Was that the ghostbusters game for the C64, where you could buy new ambulances and spent most of your time driving around?

Because that game rocked.

Buff
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Kid Icarus was also hard (I think thats what the game is called).

FlamingLonghorn
12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Was that the ghostbusters game for the C64, where you could buy new ambulances and spent most of your time driving around?

Because that game rocked.
I agree that game was nothing short of badass...

JiriHrdina
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
The latest angry video game nerd review is Dragon's Lair - dude couldn't get past the 2nd screen. Pretty funny.

blankall
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Some more to add:

Bubble bobble i have to disagree on. There were infinite continues. I remember being able to get throug the first 50 or so levels w/out dying.

Ghostbusters wasnt bad except for that part you have to walk up the building..... grrr more boring than hard really.

gallione11
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Kid Icarus was also hard (I think thats what the game is called).

Oh do I remember that game. I spent $60 (which is a lot when you are 9 years old) on that and got it home and promptly could not get past the first level for the longest time.

However, once you kind of knew what you were doing and you could actually survive the training rooms to get upgrades, it wasn't that bad... Actually was quite a fun game. I remember really liking the 4-6 levels. However, on the levels where you had to go up, I hated that once the screen scrolled up, if you fell down, you died. That was more frustrating than anything.

I'd agree with Friday the 13th, Ninja Gaiden and TMNT games too. Those were hard. Ft13 wasn't bad if you knew how to get the machete and the sweater though.

jammies
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out? That wasn't hard. That guy needs to stop sucking at games - maybe he didn't eat enough Cheetos, or spent his time studying when he should have been smoking up. Boo-urns.

Dan02
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
The most irritating for me was the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES.. there was only like 2 levels you could beat before it was almost impossible.. Also a boy and his blob on NES was tough, you never got more than a life or two and had to do the entire game like that..

+1, i knew that one was gonna be on the list, suprised it only was number 9.

FlamesAddiction
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I think playing Deadly Towers made me quit Nintendo for a while.

RougeUnderoos
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out? That wasn't hard. That guy needs to stop sucking at games - maybe he didn't eat enough Cheetos, or spent his time studying when he should have been smoking up. Boo-urns.

I remember it being pretty tough. I could kick everyones ass until Tyson but I never beat him.

The play-by-play for arcade Punch-Out (body blow, body blow, left, left) haunts my dreams. What a classic.

4X4
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Some more to add:

Bubble Bobble? That game was sooo easy. The only hard level was 67 or 69 where you had to jump on your bubbles to get up to the very top where the bad guys were.

I'm still looking for the final quarter heart on snes Zelda.

dionfan
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Ah yes, Ninja Gaiden. I had the hardest time beating one of those last monsters (some big purple-headed guy that moved side to side on the roof, I think its name was the Jaquio or something like that). I finally figured out that if I climbed to the top of the wall and then jumped toward him to purposely get hit, if done at the right time and at the right angle, you would get hit and bounce off him to the top of the wall where you could stand. Must be a glitch, but I took advantage of it.

And Jurassic Park for Snes. I beat it for the first time a couple years ago. For the longest time, every time I played, all I did was look for all the dino eggs. After I found them all, I would walk around forever, sondering what to do. This would last hours. Finally one day, I found out how to do all that stuff on those green computers which helped alot. It was flukey when I actually beat it. I was just walking around aimlessly when I walked across the helicopter pad. The game suddenly ended and the credits showed. I was like.....oh.......yaaaaaahooooooo.

CrispyGriz
12-04-2007, 12:29 AM

That game is insanely hard. Took me forever to beat and when i did beat it, It told me i was only half done took all my stuff and stars and said i had to start over. Haven't played it since.

Hemi-Cuda
12-04-2007, 01:51 AM
how was the original Street Fighter II not mentioned? yes it was beatable and i got all the character's endings, but i broke more than one controller at how infuriating Bison was at times. it was unfair how hard he was on random occasions. sometimes i could beat him easily, but others he would just combo my ass into oblivion before i could even get a punch in. it's like the game decided before you fought him whether you were going to win or lose, and more often than not it made sure you had to give it 3 or 4 tries before he became beatable

4X4
12-04-2007, 02:37 AM
how was the original Street Fighter II not mentioned? yes it was beatable and i got all the character's endings, but i broke more than one controller at how infuriating Bison was at times. it was unfair how hard he was on random occasions. sometimes i could beat him easily, but others he would just combo my ass into oblivion before i could even get a punch in. it's like the game decided before you fought him whether you were going to win or lose, and more often than not it made sure you had to give it 3 or 4 tries before he became beatable

Reminds me of a high school buddy that was so good killer instinct. He'd use jago (actually any character) and just combo the chit out of anyone. He was like a cyborg. If he felt like it, he'd beat you with one combo. He'd bust out combos with hits over 100. Freak.
**edit to add that getting a combo breaker in on him felt like winning.

Same thing years later when Tony Hawk came out. He could do combos in the hundreds. Nice guy but I secretly want to beat him to death with a controller.

icarus
12-04-2007, 04:01 AM

Because that game rocked.No, this was for the original NES. It sucked. So maybe it was on C64 as well.

Bubble bobble i have to disagree on. There were infinite continues. I remember being able to get throug the first 50 or so levels w/out dying.

Ghostbusters wasnt bad except for that part you have to walk up the building..... grrr more boring than hard really.Infinite continues? I guess maybe if you were playing two-player and could still join in while the other guy was alive. Otherwise impossible unless you used the passwords.

As for walking up the stairs in Ghostbusters, it was boring. But in ZUUL it was exceptionally hard.

Bubble Bobble? That game was sooo easy. The only hard level was 67 or 69 where you had to jump on your bubbles to get up to the very top where the bad guys were.www.everyvideogame.com (http://www.everyvideogame.com) I defy you to get to level 67!

And Jurassic Park for Snes. I beat it for the first time a couple years ago. For the longest time, every time I played, all I did was look for all the dino eggs. After I found them all, I would walk around forever, sondering what to do. This would last hours. Finally one day, I found out how to do all that stuff on those green computers which helped alot. It was flukey when I actually beat it. I was just walking around aimlessly when I walked across the helicopter pad. The game suddenly ended and the credits showed. I was like.....oh.......yaaaaaahooooooo.I commend you sir. Ah yes, those terrible green computers. Well done on completing it. I did find out that those random letters strewn every where spell out DR HORNER I think (the MSU paleontologist who Dr. Grant in the novel and movie is loosely based on).

StrayBullet
12-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Ahh... Ghosts & Goblins. ....I FU***NG HATE THAT GAME!!!!! UGH! KCUF!!!!! HATE! UGH!

habernac
12-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I remember it being pretty tough. I could kick everyones ass until Tyson but I never beat him.

The play-by-play for arcade Punch-Out (body blow, body blow, left, left) haunts my dreams. What a classic.

http://smackdown.myrmid.com/smackdown/downloads/joe3.gif

gotta love Punch Out. Knockout!!!

BlackEleven
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Infinite continues? I guess maybe if you were playing two-player and could still join in while the other guy was alive. Otherwise impossible unless you used the passwords.

That was the key. No point playing Bubble Bobble on one player. Even if you do manage to pass it (which I accomplished exactly once), you get a "bad ending" unless you have both players. And both players must be alive to boot. So not only is it hard as hell on one player, you don't even get the proper ending...

GreenLantern
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
"In 1989, every young boy in America was legally obligated to spend at least two hours a day pretending to be one of the Turtles,"

That is classic. Good stuff, great read. I hated that dam level in Ninja Turtles.

Angry Nintendo Nerd is pretty funny as well, I love his Ninja Turtle Review.

Kipru
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM

That game is insanely hard. Took me forever to beat and when i did beat it, It told me i was only half done took all my stuff and stars and said i had to start over. Haven't played it since.

Are you guys talking about Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES? I really don't see why would it be so hard, since you can save your game. I think only thing that i never found was the Chris Houlihan room. And the macig powder was useless, and the mushroom in your Inventory. Otherwise it has to be one of the best games ever made, in terms of playability and its music (Well monkey islands beat it in music).

VANFLAMESFAN
12-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Punchout is my all time favorite game, the characters, the music, the gameplay, all top notch. Beating Tyson was tough, but do-able.

StrayBullet
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Kipru....

I thought "A Link To The Past" was the second Zelda game in the series on NES?

simmer2
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
There was some Nintendo game with the word Time in the title. My mom bought it for me when I was sick one day at home and I could never get past the stupid fat Mexican boss on the 2nd level. He wore a sombrero and one of those white housecoat looking things and I would spend 15 minutes shooting him and he never died....

Does anyone know what game I'm talking about? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

EDIT: Time Lord! Thank you Wikipedia. Stupid game still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKDeIeylyY

And I'm not alone. At about 3:00 you can see them attempting to kill the boss over and over and over again.

simmer2
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Angry Nintendo Nerd must have blood-pressure issues....his reviews are hysterical though.:D

Thanks for mentioning Angry Nintendo Nerd. I can now relive my most hated levels. I still remember that stupid dam in TMNT, and it comforts me knowing I wasn't the only person who found it impossible.

Kipru
12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Kipru....

I thought "A Link To The Past" was the second Zelda game in the series on NES?

He (4x4) was originally talkin about snes, and i think no other games were made to Snes.

MaDMaN_26
12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Beating Shadowrun for the Supernes took a large chunk of my life... I liked the game, but I remember being so frustrated trying to find things at times... I think I called the nintendo hotline at one point in order to find those stupid mermaid scales...

BlackEleven
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Some games I had that I found difficult/infuriating:

CastleVania -- The end boss was impossible. Getting to him wasn't too bad, but you had to go through that sequence just before fighting him that guaranteed at least a couple points off your health, and then he was hard as hell on top of that. I never did beat him.

Double Dragon -- Once again the end boss was impossible. He has a machine gun, and I'm supposed to beat him by punching and kicking him. Hard as hell. And that part where you were supposed to cross the wall and the bricks came flying out at you in a seemingly random, unpredictable partern? That sucked too. I'd always waste at least one life there.

Ikari Warriors -- one stupid bullet kills you and you have to kill thousands of emenies. Even with infinte continues it was impossible.

CaptainCrunch
12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Double Dragon -- Once again the end boss was impossible. He has a machine gun, and I'm supposed to beat him by punching and kicking him. Hard as hell. And that part where you were supposed to cross the wall and the bricks came flying out at you in a seemingly random, unpredictable partern? That sucked too. I'd always waste at least one life there..

I loved doubledragon, especially when you could pick up bats and pound on people.

However there was a major programming flaw that made it too easy.

The back elbow was the ultimate deuce ex machina in that game. Once you got close enough to hit it, no matter how tough the opponent, you just had to stand over him and hit it and everytime they stood up, they'd go down.

I remember the last guy lasted as long as it took for me to get within two feet of him, then I just hit him with about 20 back elbows and that was it.

CaramonLS
12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Beating Shadowrun for the Supernes took a large chunk of my life... I liked the game, but I remember being so frustrated trying to find things at times... I think I called the nintendo hotline at one point in order to find those stupid mermaid scales...

LOL I loved Shadowrun. But it wasn't exactly that difficult to beat. The end boss especially was easy, because the Freeze spell worked on him.

I remember right at the end the end boss said "See you again in Shadowrun II", of course, Data East or w/e went out of business shortly after that.

I do remember spending hours and hours getting Nuyen (?) and leveling at the Junk yard though.

Got Miikka?
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone ever play the NES version of the popular film Predator? Now THAT is an impossible game (but I did beat it... using a GameGenie)

BlackEleven
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I remember the last guy lasted as long as it took for me to get within two feet of him, then I just hit him with about 20 back elbows and that was it.

I'll have to remember this. Usually I spent most of my time trying to jumpkick him to get around his bullets, but I never lasted very long doing that. I never got in close enough to elbow him. Maybe its time to fire up the old Nintendo (I still have a working one). I wonder what it'd looking like on a 42" plasma...

MaDMaN_26
12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
LOL I loved Shadowrun. But it wasn't exactly that difficult to beat. The end boss especially was easy, because the Freeze spell worked on him.

I remember right at the end the end boss said "See you again in Shadowrun II", of course, Data East or w/e went out of business shortly after that.

I do remember spending hours and hours getting Nuyen (?) and leveling at the Junk yard though.

no not tough, and ya I remember that too... we waited and waited and waited and no shadowrun 2... I guess there is one on the 360 but its a FPS...

No the only thing about it that was frustrating was finding those scales... took me sooo long even after the help line told me they were down on the docks... I remember leveling in the junk yard too...

CrispyGriz
12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
He (4x4) was originally talkin about snes, and i think no other games were made to Snes.

Well i suck at reading and was referring to The Legend of Zelda for the NES. You can save your progress but its an insanely long and spread out game, it just took forever to beat and had some pretty stupid hard parts.

Ozy_Flame
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Some more to add:

Oh I passed that one many years ago, and was definitely a bright spot in my younger days. That was a hell of a game with a simple concept, but it wasn't impossible by any means.

Now on the flipside? River City Ransom was the easiest game to pass. You could die as many times as you wanted, and all you would lose is half your money, which you you can make back in 5 minutes of gameplay anyways.

CaptainCrunch
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Leisure suit Larry, I always forgot to get condoms before I did the first girl.

icarus
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Kipru....

I thought "A Link To The Past" was the second Zelda game in the series on NES?No, "Link" (short for The Adventures of Link?) was the sequel to the legend of Zelda for NES. I didn't really like it compared to the first, wasn't digging the scrolling view after the overhead view of the first.

Well i suck at reading and was referring to The Legend of Zelda for the NES. You can save your progress but its an insanely long and spread out game, it just took forever to beat and had some pretty stupid hard parts.One of my favourite games ever, the original Zelda. As a kid my friends and I somehow knew every spot to bomb to find a hidden door, some of them were so randomly hidden. I don't remember ever figuring it out, it was just like we innately knew.

Won it many times. Killing Ganon, had to shoot him with a silver arrow while he was invisible and then use the best sword to carve him up real good.

Deegee
12-04-2007, 06:03 PM
No, "Link" (short for The Adventures of Link?) was the sequel to the legend of Zelda for NES. I didn't really like it compared to the first, wasn't digging the scrolling view after the overhead view of the first.

One of my favourite games ever, the original Zelda. As a kid my friends and I somehow knew every spot to bomb to find a hidden door, some of them were so randomly hidden. I don't remember ever figuring it out, it was just like we innately knew.

Won it many times. Killing Ganon, had to shoot him with a silver arrow while he was invisible and then use the best sword to carve him up real good.

Best part about beating the original Zelda for the NES was that you got to play through the "second quest" with all new dungeons and dungeon locations.

If I recall correctly, I think if you named your guy Link or maybe it was Zelda, you got to start on the second quest. What a rude awakening it is when the skeletons are shooting daggers at you!

I'm a nerd. :bag:

CaramonLS
12-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Best part about beating the original Zelda for the NES was that you got to play through the "second quest" with all new dungeons and dungeon locations.

If I recall correctly, I think if you named your guy Link or maybe it was Zelda, you got to start on the second quest. What a rude awakening it is when the skeletons are shooting daggers at you!

I'm a nerd. :bag:

If you named your char Zelda, you then started with the Master sword in one of them.

Hack&Lube
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I just got Contra 4...oh my god, this game as harder than the original, harder than most old-school games. I can't even past the first quarter of level one on hard mode. I can barely reach level 2 on easy.

And the Contra Code doesn't work...it only works in the original Contra (which is unlockable).

jammies
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM

You just have to be good at defence; all the other guys you could essentially just hit them when they opened up and win, but Tyson you had to defend far more than you could attack. He wasn't a pushover, but you just had to adjust your fighting style radically and be very very conservative.

Of course, my reflexes are not what they once were, and freakin' Glass Joe'd probably wipe the floor with me now (although we used to see just how FAST we could take him down, and we were at less than 2 seconds (1.8 I think my brother did it) after a while.

gallione11
12-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Are you guys talking about Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES? I really don't see why would it be so hard, since you can save your game. I think only thing that i never found was the Chris Houlihan room. And the macig powder was useless, and the mushroom in your Inventory. Otherwise it has to be one of the best games ever made, in terms of playability and its music (Well monkey islands beat it in music).

Magic powder was excellent in dungeons, turning those spinning wheels of fire into Faeries. Free health!

4X4
12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
re: Kipru and Zelda...

No, the game wasn't all that difficult. It was long. Beating the game was only half the fun. Finding everything was the other half. And I never did find the final quarter heart. 19.75 hearts.:bag:

Teh_Bandwagoner
12-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I'll have to remember this. Usually I spent most of my time trying to jumpkick him to get around his bullets, but I never lasted very long doing that. I never got in close enough to elbow him. Maybe its time to fire up the old Nintendo (I still have a working one). I wonder what it'd looking like on a 42" plasma...

Nintendo is awesome on a 42".

Note: the light gun does not seem to work on LCD or plasma. My dream of playing Duck Hunt on a 42" LCD was ruined that night :(

foofighter15
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
That was great! I used to love battletoads. We rented it every weekend and never got passed that bike level.

foofighter15
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
I think the original Zelda should be in there. I've tried playing this game so many times, but still have no clue where the hell the second level is!

JayP
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
I think the original Zelda should be in there. I've tried playing this game so many times, but still have no clue where the hell the second level is!

I don't know if I'd call that difficultly - probably just impatience. That's not a knock on you. I'd say 99% of gamers today would be frustrated to no end with the original Zelda. I mean there were a ton of people that complained that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind was too difficult to find where to go, but in the original Zelda you get essentially no clues.

I'd recommend just finding a map online and get an idea of where to go next.

foofighter15
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't know if I'd call that difficultly - probably just impatience. That's not a knock on you. I'd say 99% of gamers today would be frustrated to no end with the original Zelda. I mean there were a ton of people that complained that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind was too difficult to find where to go, but in the original Zelda you get essentially no clues.

I'd recommend just finding a map online and get an idea of where to go next.

I agree its impatience. Cause every time you die, you have to start way back in no mans land, and when you only have three hearts, searching can be a pain in the rear.

I was going to get a map, but I want to do it the right way. When I get my Wii, I'm tossing it in and playing until i beat it

icarus
12-05-2007, 06:47 PM

I'm a nerd. :bag:Wow I had totally forgotten about that. Yeah all sorts of little stuff changed, it was cool.

burn_baby_burn
12-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Ahh... Ghosts & Goblins. ....I FU***NG HATE THAT GAME!!!!! UGH! KCUF!!!!! HATE! UGH!

I bought Ghost & Goblins when I was in Jr high. I was still trying to beat it when I was in my early 20's. I made it to the end once. It said I had the wrong weapon and I died. So I figured I needed the cross to beat the boss at the end (I can't even think what it was since I only saw it once). The cross was the worst weapon available, it only shot part way across the screen. So trying to defeat the dragon and the other winged monster with the cross was pretty much impossible.

Did anybody ever beat that game?

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=17

Slava
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Leisure suit Larry, I always forgot to get condoms before I did the first girl.

Story of my life...ummm, I mean, never mind!:bag:

Rhettzky
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Man, lots of memorable games in this thread. I'd probably be absolutely shocked by the percentage of my youth that was spent trying to pass most of these games. One that sticks out in my head that wasn't mentioned was Strider. There was one part where you had to do a series of wall jumps while crap was exploding and I can't remember if I ever beat it but it's a game that definitely comes to mind.

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/megadrive/Strider%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

ResAlien
12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I must be the only one, but I remember Altered Beast on the Genesis as being about the hardest game ever

Calgaree
12-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Play any of the Fallout games pre- tactics pumping stats out of basic combat stats like Perception and Strength and into Intelligence and Charisma. You'll have a hard time.

Caged Great
12-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I must be the only one, but I remember Altered Beast on the Genesis as being about the hardest game ever

I beat that game the on the first try in 15 minutes. Stupid game. The only game that I had difficulty with growing up was last battle. You die, you're done no matter where you are in the game. No Continues, nothing. It takes about 3 hours to get to the last boss.....

Kipru
12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Tecmo World Wrestling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecmo_World_Wrestling)

Once i made it to the last opponent but i lost to him like swedes in 1809. But that game was great to play with a friend. I bet it it would suck now.

Startropics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarTropics) seemed like a great game but was way too hard for me. Never made it past the ghost town.

Matata
12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
The latest angry video game nerd review is Dragon's Lair - dude couldn't get past the 2nd screen. Pretty funny.

I played Dragons lair in an Arcade like 10 years ago, it cost an entire dollar (big commitment for a twelve year old). I got about 30 sec's of playtime and at no point had any idea what was going on, I could never figure out how that game was actually played.

The Unabomber
12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Wonder Boy and Metal Gear got the better of me when i was young, that original Metal Gear was a great game though.

Kipru
12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
^I played MG 2, Snakes revenge, that took a bit of time but I made it trough.

ernie
12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I bought Ghost & Goblins when I was in Jr high. I was still trying to beat it when I was in my early 20's. I made it to the end once. It said I had the wrong weapon and I died. So I figured I needed the cross to beat the boss at the end (I can't even think what it was since I only saw it once). The cross was the worst weapon available, it only shot part way across the screen. So trying to defeat the dragon and the other winged monster with the cross was pretty much impossible.

I never fully beat it. Wasn't it the game that if you made it through to the end it asically said "Ha Ha you haven't beat the game do it all over again"?

I beat it the first time through and got pissed and said there was no way I'm going to go through again.

Flames_Gimp
12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Punchout is my all time favorite game, the characters, the music, the gameplay, all top notch. Beating Tyson was tough, but do-able.

that game is a classic..tyson isn't that hard..i've finished the game soooooooooooooo many times.

ResAlien
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I beat that game the on the first try in 15 minutes. Stupid game. The only game that I had difficulty with growing up was last battle. You die, you're done no matter where you are in the game. No Continues, nothing. It takes about 3 hours to get to the last boss.....

Guess I just sucked at games as a kid. I really thought that game was impossible. Weak.

Shnabdabber
12-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Double Dragon was awesome. There was a trick (at least for the mastersystem) where you did 10 roundhouse kicks at the start of the last level, and you would get unlimited lives for the level.
Also, the last boss was a hell of a lot easier if you stayed to one side of the screen and beat down all his cronies. He couldnt come out of the door when it wasnt visible.
There was also a glitch where you could walk "on the roof" in two player mode of all the levels. You get the bottom of a corner of a wall, get your other player to the other side of the screen so you are kinda stuck at the corner. Then when you do roundhouse kicks, your player kinda climbs the wall, and you can get to the top and simply walk your way across the top while your partner has to fight hookers with whips and so on and so forth.

DAN0383
12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Some on that list I agree with, some I disagree with.
Like someone else said in this thread, beating Tyson wasn't that hard once you had his pattern down, personally I had more trouble beating the Macho Man. The first Ninja Turtles game was a bitch, especially that seaweed level, but it was beatable. I completely agree with Megaman though, I could never beat that damn game, I think the reason they made Megaman 2 so pathetically easy was because of how hard the first one was, in most of the Megaman's you kind of had to go after the bosses in a certain order to beat the game, but in Megaman 2 you could go after them in any order and be fine. One old NES game that gave me tons of trouble was Faxanadu, maybe it was because it was 1990 and I was 7 or something but I found that game infuriatingly hard. Speaking of the Turtles games though, the 2nd one was so much fun, especially in multiplayer.

CaptainCrunch
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Double Dragon was awesome. There was a trick (at least for the mastersystem) where you did 10 roundhouse kicks at the start of the last level, and you would get unlimited lives for the level.
Also, the last boss was a hell of a lot easier if you stayed to one side of the screen and beat down all his cronies. He couldnt come out of the door when it wasnt visible.
There was also a glitch where you could walk "on the roof" in two player mode of all the levels. You get the bottom of a corner of a wall, get your other player to the other side of the screen so you are kinda stuck at the corner. Then when you do roundhouse kicks, your player kinda climbs the wall, and you can get to the top and simply walk your way across the top while your partner has to fight hookers with whips and so on and so forth.

Sad thing is that as I'm reading this post, I'm going, yeah, yeah, I remember those tricks.

I just had a chuckle about the hookers with whips. Grand Theft Auto got into all kinds of rating trouble because of the whole hooker killing thing. Double Dragon would have been banned once the raters got a load of the main character being able to pick up a bat to bash their heads in.

BlackEleven
12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
:cool:Sad thing is that as I'm reading this post, I'm going, yeah, yeah, I remember those tricks.

I just had a chuckle about the hookers with whips. Grand Theft Auto got into all kinds of rating trouble because of the whole hooker killing thing. Double Dragon would have been banned once the raters got a load of the main character being able to pick up a bat to bash their heads in.

But in the old days you couldn't really tell for sure if they were hookers or red-headed stepchildren out for revenge on the non-ginger world. So you could get away with anything just blaming it on the bad graphics.

CrispyGriz
12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
:cool:

But in the old days you couldn't really tell for sure if they were hookers or red-headed stepchildren out for revenge on the non-ginger world. So you could get away with anything just blaming it on the bad graphics.

And you know that violence wasn't a problem for kids then, Its a recent development that is only being faced by kids in the new millennium.

Shnabdabber
12-08-2007, 12:13 AM

That sweet red trans am parked in the garage at the start of the game could have lured many, many hookers.

Would have helped if you could have drove over those green giant pricks that hurled boulders too.