PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Tips

Prototype
08-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I just got a puppy about a week ago. He is a Schnoodle (Snouzer Poodle cross), and he just turned about 7 weeks old. We named him Murphy, no reason really, just a fitting name.

Anyways, we have noticed that he is starting to lose his 'cute' ways, and is starting to chew into everything, and doesn't respond to us just yet. I am sure it is understandable considering he is still a baby, but I am looking for some tips to try and get him more responsive, and a little more behaved. Anything you got, I will take underconsideration.

And pics will be put up later.

Prototype
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by fotze@Aug 5 2004, 07:24 PM
Chewing usually means too much energy or bored (not that I'm an expert). Does he have a good place to run? I take mine to the off leash areas, but if I don't do it at least once a day, something will be chewed.

Sometimes I put a sacrificial chew thing down as well. A piece of carboard that you won't miss.

Maybe an obedience class would help. When punishing you have to be consistent.
From some of the stuff I have read (books, online, etc.) it says that his immune system isn't fully developed, atleast until about 5 months. We only really take him out on the front lawn to do his buisness and play a bit. We play a lot inside, he has a lot of chew toys, but it usually results in chewed toes or fingers, which we are trying to stop.

As soon as we think he is 'healthy', we have no problem taking him to the local off leash area.

How young is too young for obedience classes? Anyone know a good one, and cost?

Bertuzzied
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by VilleFan+Aug 5 2004, 07:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VilleFan @ Aug 5 2004, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-fotze@Aug 5 2004, 07:24 PM
Chewing usually means too much energy or bored (not that I'm an expert). Does he have a good place to run? I take mine to the off leash areas, but if I don't do it at least once a day, something will be chewed.

Sometimes I put a sacrificial chew thing down as well. A piece of carboard that you won't miss.

Maybe an obedience class would help. When punishing you have to be consistent.
From some of the stuff I have read (books, online, etc.) it says that his immune system isn't fully developed, atleast until about 5 months. We only really take him out on the front lawn to do his buisness and play a bit. We play a lot inside, he has a lot of chew toys, but it usually results in chewed toes or fingers, which we are trying to stop.

As soon as we think he is 'healthy', we have no problem taking him to the local off leash area.

How young is too young for obedience classes? Anyone know a good one, and cost?[/b][/quote]
Take her to the SPCA class in the NE. they are really good. I think it was $110 for 7 1.5hour classes.

Chewing is really annoying. My shiba has effectively destroyed all my new home renovations. However as she getting older(11months now) she does not chew as much as long as we take her out for a long walk/jog. then she just comes home and sleeps. hehe

I was looking at a schnoodle but they are pretty costly right? Not shedding is huge! but i love my Shiba too.
http://members.shaw.ca/sahun/assets/images/db_images/db_113-1366_IMG.jpg

Reggie Dunlop
08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Bitter Apple Extract for stuff you don't want to get chewed. You can get it at pet stores.

For your hands, BenGay or Rub A535. Puppies hate the smell of that.

Spray Bottle filled with water works too.

Prototype
08-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Reggie Dunlop@Aug 5 2004, 07:35 PM
Bitter Apple Extract for stuff you don't want to get chewed. You can get it at pet stores.

Good call on the ointment Dunlop.

Bertuzzied, we got ours cheap compaired to the price of some of the others we were looking at. $375, first shots and dewormed. It did take a drive down to the Fort McLeod A&W (4 hours round trip, 2 with the pup in a hot car with water).

Bertuzzied
08-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by VilleFan+Aug 5 2004, 07:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VilleFan @ Aug 5 2004, 07:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Reggie Dunlop@Aug 5 2004, 07:35 PM

Good call on the ointment Dunlop.

Bertuzzied, we got ours cheap compaired to the price of some of the others we were looking at. $375, first shots and dewormed. It did take a drive down to the Fort McLeod A&W (4 hours round trip, 2 with the pup in a hot car with water). [/b][/quote]
Wow thats a good price. Lets see those pics!

Cowperson
08-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, the first thing you need to know is that puppies are beasts from hell.

They don't teach you that. Its something you find out for yourself when you get one. Then you're going, "My GOD, why didn't someone tell me?".

Puppyproof your house.

Make sure your pup is well socialized and well- exercised.

Make sure it goes to puppy school for obedience training and socialization.

Keep reinforcing the good and bad things you want it to know. No hitting when you're frustrated!!

About three to four months down the road, suddenly a switch will go on and all its nefarious bad habits will disappear and you'll have a wonderful dog.

Other points - if you want a big dog that plays very rough then play very rough with it when its small. If you don't want that to happen, be careful what you're teaching it when its still small and cute.

If your pooch is snapping at you - particularly at your face - she/he probably thinks you're a dog. That's how they play and typically they've been usually playing with other dogs to that point. You have to convince him/her you're something different than a dog.

Also, if you go to Google and type in your dog's breed and "message board" I can guarantee you that you will find a magnificant resource or current owners more than happy to tell you the ups and downs of surviving puppydom.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.goldentales.ca/puppy8.jpg

Yes, this is a spawn from hell, Abby when she was a puppy.

Cowperson

moon
08-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Bertuzzied+Aug 5 2004, 07:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bertuzzied @ Aug 5 2004, 07:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by VilleFan@Aug 5 2004, 07:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-fotze@Aug 5 2004, 07:24 PM
Chewing usually means too much energy or bored (not that I'm an expert).# Does he have a good place to run?# I take mine to the off leash areas, but if I don't do it at least once a day, something will be chewed.

Sometimes I put a sacrificial chew thing down as well.# A piece of carboard that you won't miss.

Maybe an obedience class would help.# When punishing you have to be consistent.

Take her to the SPCA class in the NE. they are really good. I think it was $110 for 7 1.5hour classes.

Chewing is really annoying. My shiba has effectively destroyed all my new home renovations. However as she getting older(11months now) she does not chew as much as long as we take her out for a long walk/jog. then she just comes home and sleeps. hehe

I was looking at a schnoodle but they are pretty costly right? Not shedding is huge! but i love my Shiba too.
http://members.shaw.ca/sahun/assets/images/db_images/db_113-1366_IMG.jpg [/b][/quote]
Haven't found many others with Shiba's in Canada. We have two. One that is two and well behaved the other is only about 9 months and is still a holy terror.

Reggie Dunlop
08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 5 2004, 12:42 PM
Also, if you go to Google and type in your dog's breed and "message board" I can guarantee you that you will find a magnificant resource or current owners more than happy to tell you the ups and downs of surviving puppydom.

That's good advice. The key is to get as much "advice" as possible, then try different things, and go with what works for you.

Bertuzzied
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by moon+Aug 5 2004, 07:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (moon @ Aug 5 2004, 07:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bertuzzied@Aug 5 2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by VilleFan@Aug 5 2004, 07:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-fotze@Aug 5 2004, 07:24 PM
Chewing usually means too much energy or bored (not that I'm an expert).# Does he have a good place to run?# I take mine to the off leash areas, but if I don't do it at least once a day, something will be chewed.

Sometimes I put a sacrificial chew thing down as well.# A piece of carboard that you won't miss.

Maybe an obedience class would help.# When punishing you have to be consistent.

http://members.shaw.ca/sahun/assets/images/db_images/db_113-1366_IMG.jpg
Haven't found many others with Shiba's in Canada. We have two. One that is two and well behaved the other is only about 9 months and is still a holy terror. [/b][/quote]
They are getting pretty popular now. I know 6 different people with a Shiba. I have a female so she is pretty timid. But because they never come when you call them(unless you have food) it's like owining a cat!

Otto-matic
08-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah Cowperson is right.

My dog was quite the spawn of hell. What ever he found he would chew or try to eat it. I leave some chew toys. But now that he's old just like me :lol: He just looks out the window or stays on the couch and watches me do some work or other stuff.

Five-hole
08-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Right now I live with a young dog who has an owner extremely susceptible to the "aww, that's so cute" syndrome...i.e. unwilling to punish, unwilling to let the dog know when it's being bad. The thing just has no clue how to behave and I don't think it really even cares if it's behaving or not.

My tip: be consistent and harsh with your punishment. If he's being bad, remove him from human company for 20 minutes or so no matter how much he whines about it. Don't relent because it's cute!

Tron_fdc
08-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Puppies are going to chew anything and everything in sight, so I would pick up some bitter apple to avoid things like chewed coffee tables, stairs, and in my case the dry wall of my brand new house.

Obedience training is essential, and once your puppie reaches approx 6 mos I found it was great to take my Jack Russel Terrorist to Doggy Daycare. It helped a lot with socialization, and short of a 20 km run it was the only thing that would slow the maniac down. There are a lot of doggy daycares around the city, but most require the dog to be spayed or neutered, and be caught up on all their shots (including the kennel cough vaccine).

http://www3.telus.net/public/irvingm/nelson.GIF

Nelson Muntz, looking cute before doing something nefarious

Bertuzzied
08-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by plett22@Aug 5 2004, 08:34 PM
Puppies are going to chew anything and everything in sight, so I would pick up some bitter apple to avoid things like chewed coffee tables, stairs, and in my case the dry wall of my brand new house.

Obedience training is essential, and once your puppie reaches approx 6 mos I found it was great to take my Jack Russel Terrorist to Doggy Daycare. It helped a lot with socialization, and short of a 20 km run it was the only thing that would slow the maniac down. There are a lot of doggy daycares around the city, but most require the dog to be spayed or neutered, and be caught up on all their shots (including the kennel cough vaccine).

http://www3.telus.net/public/irvingm/nelson.GIF

Nelson Muntz, looking cute before doing something nefarious
Hey wow. What a cool name Nelson Muntz! I thought dogs could only understand 2 syllable names. ehhehe

Tron_fdc
08-05-2004, 03:58 PM
His dad was Bart, and his mom was Maggie. In keeping with tradition, I had to name him after my fav. character on the Simpsons...

He's a flippin maniac, but tough as nails and the BEST companion aomeone could ask for. I'd take his company over that of most of my friends, actually.

photon
08-05-2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.doggiefun.com/doggone/images/Dogs001.jpg

calf
08-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by photon@Aug 5 2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.doggiefun.com/doggone/images/Dogs001.jpg
That's just wrong.

My puppy tips: be firm and "punish" the dog when it does bad (rubbing it's nose in what it does, firmly saying no), and lots of praise when it's being good.

Vinegar on what it likes to chew on worked for my puppy