PDA

View Full Version : Crandell

dirk diggler
08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
In reading todays article in the Herald, i cant totally disagree with what was said... Crandell has lost his confidence and is not as bad as some fans would have us think..

Here is a guy who has had new coaches every year, and thus a new system in place every year, then a "genius" like Jenkins and dunigan decide that instead of trying to create a balanced offense for your Qb to work out of, they leave him to get blitzed every down while he tries to understand the new playbook.. While Crandell can certainly do better, this gong show of an organization ( i hate to say that as i am a fan, but it is true) has not put him in a position to succeed. i liken it to a golf swing, if you are constantly thinking of what you should do instead of just "pulling the trigger", it is very difficult. just my opinion.

Cheese
08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
as much as Id like to agree with that prognosis I dont! Good QBs who are supposed to be Veterans thrive under change. If a QB cannot learn and adapt to situations he will NEVER be a good QB. Dunnigan himself played on almost every team in the CFL and under a myriad of Offensive coordinators and did it well. I say if they dont grasp change within a few weeks then they will never grasp it....Crandell is a bum who simply does not have what ot takes to be a consistent #1 QB.
What might work well with the Stamps is a platooning system whereby we start the rookie and if he has a tuff time bring Crandell in after he has had a chance to see what the defences are doing.

I_H8_Crawford
08-04-2004, 12:28 PM
I disagree.

Having different offensive systems doesn't make Crandell throw numerous one-hoppers that kill drives, and they don't make him consistently overthrow his receivers either. They don't make Crandell throw INTs everytime he feels a little bit of pressure and throws up a prayer instead of taking a sack.

We could have had the best running game and running back in the league, and Crandell would still be a bad QB. He wasn't wanted in Edm, and although he got a reprieve for winning a grey cup, he's worn out his welcome here now too. The guy is a weak #2 QB at best; irregardless of the system(s) in place.

OzSome
08-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Crandell got some talent but he doesn't know how to use it. I feel that he is NOT a starting QB material because of his inconsistency. He falters when under pressure and i don't believe that he's got different offensive coordinators year in and year out. The only reason why the Stamps won their last Grey Cup was because of the Boerigters, Moores and the rest of the receivers. Those guys found a way to get open and usually go after the ball even when it was overthrown. Crandell problem is consistency. If he use his talent, he'll get better. The guy can run the ball, throw long bomb and make defensive players missed but he is either scared or just plain slow (mental-wise). Whenever he mixes running the ball and throwing the ball, he is successful. I hate to say this but he is probably one of the worst QB Stampeders ever had since that pretty faced (the actor)Johnson back in 80s.
Get rid of the guy!!!

JBR
08-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I remind you that Rick Johnson was the All-Canadian quarterback in 1986.

calgaryred
08-04-2004, 10:04 PM
True but Crandell was MVP of the Grey Cup in 2001. Crandell is not a very good QB!

and I agree Rick Johnson was a loser!

I remember when he left the CFL to become an actor

ken0042
08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
If anybody understands what it's like to be a QB with new coaches every other year it's Dunnigan. I think Calgary is the only CFL team that he didn't play with. ;)