PDA

View Full Version : Fat People Protesting Diet Industry

calf
08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Link (http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/02/fat.activism.ap/index.html)

Saying they're the victims of a witch hunt. Thoughts?

Cheese
08-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Lets see...smoking is down...cant go after them anymore...what is the next biggest problem affecting the healthcare system?
Seriously...my wife and I go to the beach or swimming a lot. We are constantly amazed at the high proportion of overweight or obese children and parents.
Sorry I dont buy this lady's sob story...obese people get picked on because they are a risk and look...well...lousy. Go to the local pool...check it out for yourselves.
If its a genetic issue fine....if its a McDonald's issue its pathetic.

Pagal4321
08-04-2004, 10:16 AM
This is ######ed. I'm over-weight, don't see me saying obesity is a disease. I'll just work out and watch what I eat, not go through all of this. CAlling it a witch hunt. People like this ALSO annoy the hell out of me(for another thread I guess).

Cowperson
08-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Two statements:

This one from an offended "large" person.

Some people act like obesity is the next worst thing after terrorism."

This statement from a Dietician:

"Some people can be overweight all their lives and not end up with diabetes or heart disease or hypertension," Moloo said. "But the majority are probably going to develop one of these life-altering conditions."

And from myself, "soaring health care costs are a big problem for taxpayers."

Its a "big" deal.

I can understand "large" people being upset if they are the objects of ridicule but they shouldn't be upset if someone questions their growing numbers and the impact on overall tax burdens and health care spending.

Cowperson

Tron_fdc
08-04-2004, 10:25 AM
I've always wondered why the government didn't put a crazy tax on fast food (similar to cigarettes). Eating Mcd's is just as bad as smoking (if not worse) yet they're still allowed to market their products to kids, sell synthetic burgers for next to nothing, cause major strains on the health care system, but be left totally unaccountable for doing so.

Does anyone else see this or am I just being crazy????

Wolfwood
08-04-2004, 10:57 AM
I don't think obesity is a disease. These people are going a bit overboard saying that I think. As a person who has been overweight this is definitely a huge problem but it can be changed. Diet and exercise can be used improve your life so it doesn't effect you so much. I don't really think that there is some witch hunt going on. That's something that is in there own minds and I think it is more of a mental issue then what is actually going on.

kermitology
08-04-2004, 11:05 AM
North Americans need to learn the concept of self moderation, and self responsibility.

I'm a naturally skinny guy, I can't for the life of me gain weight.. now. If I ate as poorly as the increasing obese population in NA.. then I'll be on my way to that body in a few years. I choose to eat responsibly because I want to take care of myself. I'll eat a JBC or a Big Mac on occasion, it's moderation.

Tron_fdc
08-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by fotze+Aug 4 2004, 04:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Aug 4 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-plett22@Aug 4 2004, 10:25 AM

I agree but I don't like where this may all head. If we start getting everyone to live to 110 we better get ready for soaring geezercare costs.

I've always wanted to see how they come up with the costs of smoking and whatnot to healthcare. If someone dies at 45 of lung cancer are we not saving years of checkups, hip replacements, heart ailments, old age homes, pension payments, prescriptions and years of old guy jibberjabber. I guess we are losing the influx of money from income lost but needless to say, these numbers can be vastly different depending on the results that one wants to have.

I think if we are to start taxing lifestyles we should go all the way, if you have a genetic disposition to certain conditions, you pay higher tax rates, why should I have to support your choice to procreate a flawed gene pool. I'm being a little facetious. Just something creeps me out whenever the government wants to get more involved in daily choices. They will have underground burger parlours, Lik-m-stiks will be as valuable as crack cocaine. [/b][/quote]
To take things a little further along these lines, how about tax breaks for people who pass a physical once a year? Wouldn't that make some sense as well?

I work out all the time, stay active and couldn't be paid to eat at Mcdonalds. The last time I was at the doctors office was to drop off my girlfriend for her woman stuff, and that was last year. Should I be penalized for staying healthy and not being a strain on the system, while an overweight person who makes daily KFC runs enjoys all the tax benefits I do?

I'm being extreme of course, but I really have no sympathy for overweight people who p*ss and moan about not being able to walk around the block from triple knee surgeries, which was caused by the 30 gallons of ice cream they ate last year. Genetics is one thing, but being lazy is something completely different.

the_only_turek_fan
08-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Being fat is not fun.

I was about 210 3 years ago, and decided to do something about it.

I stopped eating junk food esp. Fast food except Subway, and I started running 3-5 times a week, and now I am 155. For those that dont believe me ask the people that know me on this board.

It was the best thing that I did for myself. Sometimes the best thing to do for some of these kids is to put them in front of a mirror, that is the best motivator sometimes (it worked for me).

Also kids and parents need to be educated about the health risks like heart attacks and diabetes etc..... Maybe have a class in school, I dunno?

There are 4 things that people just should not eat, or eat very little of..
1) Cheese --> I love this stuff, but it should me kept at a minimum.
2) White pasta/White bread
3) Excess sugar foods --> Pop, chocolate, ice cream, etc....
4) Deep fried foods ---> fries, chips, etc....

But in the end, its ur body and ur life, a person cant be helped if they dont want to be.......

Cheese
08-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by the_only_turek_fan@Aug 4 2004, 12:18 PM
Being fat is not fun.

I was about 210 3 years ago, and decided to do something about it.

I stopped eating junk food esp. Fast food except Subway, and I started running 3-5 times a week, and now I am 155. For those that dont believe me ask the people that know me on this board.

It was the best thing that I did for myself. Sometimes the best thing to do for some of these kids is to put them in front of a mirror, that is the best motivator sometimes (it worked for me).

Also kids and parents need to be educated about the health risks like heart attacks and diabetes etc..... Maybe have a class in school, I dunno?

There are 4 things that people just should not eat, or eat very little of..
1) Cheese --> I love this stuff, but it should me kept at a minimum.
2) White pasta/White bread
3) Excess sugar foods --> Pop, chocolate, ice cream, etc....
4) Deep fried foods ---> fries, chips, etc....

But in the end, its ur body and ur life, a person cant be helped if they dont want to be.......
all of the things you talk about are PREACHED in the elementary school system turek fan. It is not rocket science, and I am 100% positive all of the obese people look in the mirror. I have many overweight friends...all of them very nice people, and ALL of them 100% aware of their plight.....I should also add 100% of them are overwieght due to lifestyle choice. Yet whenever we go for supper at any of these peoples homes they eat a comparative 3 meals to our 1 at one sitting.
There is usually an event in ones life that makes an obese person decide to change...unfortunately its usually a large medical problem.

moon
08-04-2004, 02:01 PM
If you give tax breaks for passing a physical are we going to start giving tax breaks to those that pass a intelligence test? or then to those that pass other tests that people deem make people "better."

I got into a similar type argument with some friends the other day and often find that people who work-out are rather arrogant when it comes to those the chose not to.

I am not huge by any means but have no desire to work out and I don't think that I should be punished for it.

Tron_fdc
08-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by moon@Aug 4 2004, 08:01 PM
If you give tax breaks for passing a physical are we going to start giving tax breaks to those that pass a intelligence test? or then to those that pass other tests that people deem make people "better."

I got into a similar type argument with some friends the other day and often find that people who work-out are rather arrogant when it comes to those the chose not to.

I am not huge by any means but have no desire to work out and I don't think that I should be punished for it.
I can see how I might come off as arrogant, but it's not really intentional. I just get annoyed when people smoke, drink, eat garbage, get fat and complain about how hard life is.

Come to think of it, it's the same as comparing non risk taking individuals to risk takers, bad drivers to self proclaimed good drivers, smart people to "dumb" people;

the former is always going to question the actions of the other. I'm in shape, and I can't understand why other people aren't as well. I'm not arrogant, just confused.

Crazy Flamer
08-04-2004, 07:56 PM
It's gotten markedly worse in the last few years because of the propaganda that fatness, a natural human characteristic, is somehow a form of disease."

What's natural about eating 10 big macs a week? And perhaps obesity is not a dissease in itself, but somen things that lead to obesity are. And obesity in itself can lead to many serious diseases such as diabetes and heart problems.

Suave
08-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by fotze@Aug 4 2004, 10:25 AM
I've always wanted to see how they come up with the costs of smoking and whatnot to healthcare. If someone dies at 45 of lung cancer are we not saving years of checkups, hip replacements, heart ailments, old age homes, pension payments, prescriptions and years of old guy jibberjabber. I guess we are losing the influx of money from income lost but needless to say, these numbers can be vastly different depending on the results that one wants to have

A study was done in the Czech Republic and it was found that the government made more money off of tobacco then it lost due to health care costs. Though the validity of the study can be questioned since it was prepared for Philip Morris.

"Based on up-to-date reliable data and consideration of all relevant contributing factors, the effect of smoking on the public finance balance in the Czech Republic in 1999 was positive, estimated at +5,815 mil. CZK."

Czech's are the greatest (http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Philip-Morris-Czech-Study.htm) :D

Displaced Flames fan
08-05-2004, 11:26 AM
I think people should mind their own business and stop being so self-righteous.
Everyone has faults. Lots of skinny guys beat the sh*t out of their kids, but I don't.

I need to lose weight, but I don't blame anyone else for it. I also don't eat tons of fast food.

Don't assume you know everyone's story and that all people in the situation are the same.

And most of all, don't start ragging on about people's problems if you're unprepared to deal with other problems you might have.

If there's one thing that I despise in this world it's self-righteousness and there's a lot of it in this thread.

Reaper
08-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Displaced Flames fan@Aug 5 2004, 11:26 AM
I think people should mind their own business and stop being so self-righteous.
Everyone has faults. Lots of skinny guys beat the sh*t out of their kids, but I don't.

I need to lose weight, but I don't blame anyone else for it. I also don't eat tons of fast food.

Don't assume you know everyone's story and that all people in the situation are the same.

And most of all, don't start ragging on about people's problems if you're unprepared to deal with other problems you might have.

If there's one thing that I despise in this world it's self-righteousness and there's a lot of it in this thread.
I agree that there is a lot of self righteousness in this thread.

People do have a tendency to jump to conclusions about others without knowing all the facts.

Many people assume that a person is overweight due to a lack of discipline or willpower.

Then they proceed to villify the person in their own mind because people who are overweight are the last "acceptable" group to marginalize and discriminate against on the basis of physical features.

However, most people are cowards and would never dream of saying what they think.

Rather, they prefer to act passive-aggressive because if they start pointing fingers at others then they are likely to find fingers pointing back at them for other reasons.

Many view the internet as their safe refuge that they use to attack others without fear of real consequences because of the relative anonymity it affords.

These people are as insignificant as they come because they lack true perspective and they deserve pity.