PDA

View Full Version : Why God!! Why must random logout plague me??

4X4
01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I know this is a fata. I know fatas are frowned upon. To fix this fatacular transgression, I will take my camera over to Santa Maria Maggiore tomorrow, snap a pic of the store called 'FATA' and post it in this thread. (uh, yeah, I live in Rome and there's a store named FATA).

ANYHOO.... Why am I constantly getting logged out? I followed all the previous suggestions of cookie clearing and whatnot, but it plagues me I tell you!
There is nothing more annoying that writing out a post, checking for errors and then hitting post, and the galldarned 'login' thing comes up!
What should I do? Copy my post before posting it? I do that 9/10 times. It strikes on those 1/10 times. I'm going crazy.

Oh the BEEMANITY!

ken0042
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Details, we need details man!

What browser? What O/S?

Does this happen on just one PC, or on any PC that you use? Or is it a PC or is it a Mac?

4X4
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Always on windows, sometimes on the same computer (in the hostel or in the house) and also quite regularly on internet cafe comps.
Usually happens if I've been logged in and browsing for a decent amount of time, but still very random.

Sometimes I can read 20 threads and then reply to one of them without a prob. Other times, I read two threads and reply to the third (inevitably with a good paragraph of text) and poof! Logout!

COCKERSCHNACKLE!

4X4
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh, and firefox/IE makes no diff. Happens on both. Is it ITALY? Damn you ITALY! WHY CAN I NOT ENJOY MY CP ADDICTION WITHOUT YOU REARING YOUR UGLY HEAD TO REMIND ME THAT I'M A FORKIN ADDICT!

4X4
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Thats it. I'm moving back to Canada.

ken0042
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Silly question time.

When you log on, you are clicking on the "remember me" box, right?

4X4
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Ah, no... Definitely not... But back when I had my 'own' computer, I still didn't do that. It's really only been a prob since march or so.

ken0042
01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
So..... what you are saying is you have problems with it not remembering you- when you tell it not to remember you? :whistle:

That's the problem. The board software times you off after 10 ot 15 minutes of inactivity. And typing isn't activity as it doesn't send anything up the internet. The CP system has no way of knowing if you are typing, or if the internet cafe bouncer pulled you off the computer.

Azure
01-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Clicking remember me will keep you logged in forever....do that and see if it helps.

photon
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Might not be the best idea at a public computer though :D

Azure
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Hehe....true dat...I had the same problem though, and clicking remember me keeps me logged in.

I just make it a habit to logout everytime I leave.

Bobblehead
01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Just a shot in the dark - perhaps your ISP automatically logs you off after a certain length of inactivity? Then when you try to submit your post, it reconnects you but since you had been disconnected you need to log on again.

You may also want to type your responses in notepad and paste them in to submit. Then if you get burned again it is only a case of pasting the entry.

4X4
01-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Might not be the best idea at a public computer though :D

Yea... I never do that at any computer except my own.

But like I said, it seems to be fairly recent (less than a year) that this has been a prob. I'm thinking it has to do with italy. I never had this problem in canada and it seems that nobody else has this problem either (I think I may be the only CPer in italy).

ken0042
01-04-2007, 07:18 AM
and it seems that nobody else has this problem either (I think I may be the only CPer in italy).

No, I have the exact same "problem." Except I don't call it a problem.

On my laptop I don't have any sort of logon password, so I don't have it set to "remember me" when I log into CP. Every so often I find myself logged out as well.

The thing of it is, it isn't a problem. It is the board software working exactly as intended. That's probably why nobody else is complaining; they realize that when they specifically tell the system to not remember then, they understand when it doesn't.

I think in the past the old software used to keep you logged in until you closed all of your IE windows, or specifically clicked on "log out." Now it times you out after a certain length of inactivity.