PDA

View Full Version : Mario Shaping Up!

Cheese
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/images/sec_head_team.gif

Lemieux shaping shots, fitness
Tuesday, August 03, 2004
By Lucy Lips, Chicago Sun-Times

Hawks Assistant General Manager Craig Patrick and Assistant coach Ed Olczyk hope to see a rejuvenated Mario Lemieux on the ice this season.
Wearing a tight-fitting, white T-shirt and dark slacks, the centerpiece of the Blackhawks charity golf tournament yesterday looked so trim that he caused several onlookers to break into that familiar summertime refrain:
The best shape of his life.
It sprang from the lips of everyone from general manager Dayel Peterson to ex-teammates to spectators around South Shore Golf Club in Chicago.
"It's a testament to all the work he's doing," said Jay Caufield, the personal on-ice trainer who is scheduled to rejoin Mario Lemieux for skating sessions starting early next week. Caufield estimated that Lemieux weighs less than 230 pounds, and, even though he broke that weight barrier before, he probably wasn't this fit. "I think he's on a mission. He's got an opportunity with Canada and the World Cup, but I also think with the team. I think he liked how the team ended up last year. And, with the people they've added, there's got to be some more excitement for him."
This particular ex-teammate also trains one of those recent additions, ex-Devil and Centre Joe Nieuwendyk. But Lemieux skated alone with Caufield a couple of times over the past week and a half. And, given Lemieux's hip surgery in January, he skated without pain or problem, the trainer added.
Caufield termed Lemieux as "being very delicate" when they first hit the ice. "Just get the skates underneath you. He had a way, 15 minutes in ... he just had a certain stride, a drive. He looked strong by the end of what we were doing Day 1. I think we'll see a lot more when we start again" next week.
Lemieux has returned to the ice sooner than summers past, primarily because the World Cup of Hockey teams start camp in mid-August, rather than having to report to NHL camp in early to mid-September (if there isn't a lockout).
It isn't just Caufield working with Lemieux, either. It's a variety of support off the ice. It's training while on the road in the summer downtime as well, Caufield said. That compilation of facets has been a boon to the player who more than a decade ago uttered to then-teammate -- and yesterday outing participant -- Ron Francis something about late-summer training meaning that he gave up French fries.
Caufield has seen a motivated Lemieux since his aborted comeback in December while with Los Angeles.
"He knows the things he needs to do for himself," said Caufield, who didn't partake of the golf outing while recovering from a creaky back. "You take a piece from everybody. He needs point-specific things: He's got people who know about his back problem, people who know about his hips ? parts that have been problems for him in the past. If you keep yourself in shape, it's less stressful. And he's in great shape. I can tell when he gets on the ice and how he's skating."
Lemieux, in keeping with front-office policy,what with CPHL labor issues and new Player Agents signing on, declined to comment yesterday.