PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Digital Phone Light

Ace
11-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey All,

Just found out Shaw is releasing Shaw digital phone light. I called the CSR and the release date is Dec. 4th. Will be aimed at people who don't need all the long distance and includes 3 or 4 features: call display is one, but definitely not voice mail.

29.99/month, not introductory

I think bye bye to telus and their 7.95/month call display fee.

Antithesis
11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Interesting. Why would they not include Voice Mail? If this is true, you'd have to assume that they would include it as an 'extra'. The cost would then end up being very close to a similar package from Telus (my monthly bill totals around $40) ... assuming a cost for the Voice Mail service of $5 or so. Not nearly a big enough difference in cost to consider changing providers.

flmsfan2004
11-24-2006, 06:03 PM
This is my personal opinion, but I would suggest that you think more before you get shaw's digital phone. My parents have it and I personally hate it and would never get it. This is only my experience... I've never talk to anyone else who has it. But I find there is a noticeable delay when you pick up the ringing phone...if you say "hello" too fast like I often do the person doesn't hear anything and you get a strange "Hello?" from the person calling you.
Also, when the other line goes the phone doesn't just beep, it periodically also makes these indescribable crackling noises.
I also notice that sometimes when I'm calling my house it doesn't ring as fast as it does when you call a normal land line...I've often hung up and redialed because it didn't seem to be connecting.
Also, we have the voice mail and I personally again don't like it... our answering machine picks up if no one is home, but if the 2 lines are being used then it goes to shaw's voicemail. My parents never know when they have a waiting voice mail as it only displays it on the screen of the caller id... which they apparently don't look at. I notice because my phone blinks blue which is very irritating, but none of our other phones have this "voice mail" blinker.
Anyhow, that is my 2 cents. I'd be interested to hear if other people who have shaw's digital phone experience the same thing or maybe we have a bad cable or something like that. :confused:

Mccree
11-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Almost a full year with Shaw phone service and not one problem. no delay when calling (even long distance to Poland) no downtime,all in all really happy.

BlackArcher101
11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
This is my personal opinion, but I would suggest that you think more before you get shaw's digital phone. My parents have it and I personally hate it and would never get it. This is only my experience... I've never talk to anyone else who has it. But I find there is a noticeable delay when you pick up the ringing phone...if you say "hello" too fast like I often do the person doesn't hear anything and you get a strange "Hello?" from the person calling you.
Also, when the other line goes the phone doesn't just beep, it periodically also makes these indescribable crackling noises.

Sounds like it's the phone to me. I've had these problems with Telus before, and a replacement of the phone worked. It was slow engaging the call. Now, if it's a hard-wired phone, then you got me.

Have had shaw phone for 11 months now. I enjoy it and only have had a problem with it once, and that was when the line was cut. I may switch to light though since I don't find myself using long distance enough to warrant the $55/mth.

kipperfan
11-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Dammit!! I wish I still worked for Shaw. They are going to sell this product like CRAZY!! Everyone asked for this, I am amazed it has come so soon.

ken0042
11-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Funny, I called them 2 weeks ago looking for something like this. They said there were no plans.

If you are right, bye bye to Telus for me! :yay:

jolinar of malkshor
11-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I have VONAGE. 39.99 unlimited local and log distance calling in North America and Ireland. Includes every feature you can think of. Have only had if for a month but no problems yet.

kipperfan
11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
I have VONAGE. 39.99 unlimited local and log distance calling in North America and Ireland. Includes every feature you can think of. Have only had if for a month but no problems yet.

God forbid you ever have to call 911 and cant speak into the phone for whatever reason you will be in some very big trouble. Vonage does not have enhanced 911, in fact if you call 911 from a Vonage line they dont even know what city you are in and you have to speak to a Vonage rep first who then re-directs your call to the proper 911 call centre. Not a service I would personally use, esspecially if I had childern in the home.

jolinar of malkshor
11-24-2006, 09:37 PM
God forbid you ever have to call 911 and cant speak into the phone for whatever reason you will be in some very big trouble. Vonage does not have enhanced 911, in fact if you call 911 from a Vonage line they dont even know what city you are in and you have to speak to a Vonage rep first who then re-directs your call to the proper 911 call centre. Not a service I would personally use, esspecially if I had childern in the home.

Actually your right and wrong. They have it all set up with my exact address and phone number so if I call they will know where I am at. Must be new or something. Check their website out. Your right in the fact that the address doesn't show up when 911 is called...but my address is with Vonage...so if I can;t talk....they send someone to my address.

Flame On
11-25-2006, 12:16 AM
I had one problem with my entire cable line in that affected my TV, internet and phone line. They came in pretty quick and resolved it with no return problems at all. I have the existing feature but don't care about the internal voice mail so I wonder if I can step down to light?

Flame On
11-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh and as for 911, it was explained to me that the emergency responders get more information about your locale, rather than less with the traditional service.

keratosis
11-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Have been with Shaw since it came to Okotoks. Couldn't be happier.
I love not having $100 phone bills and mystery charges every month.

kipperfan
11-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Actually your right and wrong. They have it all set up with my exact address and phone number so if I call they will know where I am at. Must be new or something. Check their website out. Your right in the fact that the address doesn't show up when 911 is called...but my address is with Vonage...so if I can;t talk....they send someone to my address.

Hmm thats not bad then, that must be a new addtion to there service as they didnt have the ability to do that when I last looked into it which was about 6-8 months ago.

Ace
11-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Yep, lets hope the CSR I talked to is right about the release date, I can't wait. Since this is coming anyway, i'm thinking about doing the full digital phone on the intro offer right away, and then downgrading to light when the package ends.

This is great too because shaw digital phone is a preferred provider of the alarm system we have since it's not VIOP over internet, but instead a dedicated network.

ken0042
11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Yep, lets hope the CSR I talked to is right about the release date, I can't wait.

I called last night. The CSR I talked to had just gotten the basics of the details, but she said to wait until December 4 as well.

Ace
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I called last night. The CSR I talked to had just gotten the basics of the details, but she said to wait until December 4 as well.

Sweet...it might be a good idea to sign up for shaw digital phone now, and avoid the huge rush on the 4th. It's free for your first month, then 29.95 for 3 months, then you can downgrade to light.

Hemi-Cuda
11-25-2006, 10:42 PM
If bell could hire the entire customer service and billing wing of shaw I would be in heaven

as an employee of Shaw i find this comment very amusing. i've never dealt with Bell, but they have to have some terrible customer service reps if Shaw looks like a shining beacon of light comparatively

ken0042
11-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Comparing Shaw's CSRs to Bell's is like comparing Kipper to Le Goalie (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6673002&bmUID=1164519852804&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443277041&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

(That's with Kipper being Shaw.)

flmsfan2004
11-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Well... shaw's digital cable is "down" right now...which means only cell phones until shaw fixes whatever issues it's having in calgary and southern alberta. Once again confirming my choice that when I move, Shaw isn't going to even be an option for my home phone.

boobaloo
11-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Well... shaw's digital cable is "down" right now...which means only cell phones until shaw fixes whatever issues it's having in calgary and southern alberta. Once again confirming my choice that when I move, Shaw isn't going to even be an option for my home phone.

When I read up about it, they always suggested having a land line in addition to internet/cell line. I imagine this is why.

From Consumer Reports: but you have to be a member to read the article:

However, there are a number of drawbacks to VoIP, including issues regarding emergency 911 service. We strongly recommend that you keep a basic landline even if you get VoIP for day-to-day use.

This included all internet phoning, VoIP is just a brand as far as I know.

BlackArcher101
11-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Just remember... Shaw Phone has it's own dedicated system. My internet and tv have been down numerous times but my phone was still 100% ok. If there is a physical issue with a line, then not even a telus line will prevent that from happening.

flmsfan04, I wouldn't label Southern Alberta and Calgary as having issues when you don't know how many people are affected by your outage. Makes the problem larger than it actually is.

jolinar of malkshor
11-26-2006, 01:05 PM
When I read up about it, they always suggested having a land line in addition to internet/cell line. I imagine this is why.

From Consumer Reports: but you have to be a member to read the article:

However, there are a number of drawbacks to VoIP, including issues regarding emergency 911 service. We strongly recommend that you keep a basic landline even if you get VoIP for day-to-day use.

This included all internet phoning, VoIP is just a brand as far as I know.

VoIP is not a brand VONAGE is. VoIP is the term used to explain Internet phones.

flmsfan2004
11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
flmsfan04, I wouldn't label Southern Alberta and Calgary as having issues when you don't know how many people are affected by your outage. Makes the problem larger than it actually is.

When we called shaw this morning, they had a pre-recorded message saying they were currently having problems in Calgary and Southern Alberta...those were shaws words not mine. Our phone is working again so that makes me happy :)

Hemi-Cuda
12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
finally got some official word on the digital phone lite package for those who are interested. it's available now, soft launch (meaning no advertising, Shaw still wants to push the big package) and it's $29.95 if you have Shaw TV or internet and $34.95 if you get it standalone. $0.04 per minute long distance anywhere in US and Canada, as well as the 50 other countries listed in the standard digital phone plan. included features are call forward, call return, call display and 3-way calling. voicemail and call waiting aren't included but can be added for an extra $5.95 (for both)

if you want it you'll have to call in and specifically request the package, as they want to only use it as a last resort when they can't sell a customer the whole package

Bill Bumface
12-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Primus has the same thing for $15.95

newts
12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Switched this morning.

Now paying $29.95 per month + $5.95 for features package instead of the $60 per month previously.

Nothing really changes, other than I'm paying .04 cents per minute for LD to Canada/USA.

Put it this way...I'm saving $25 per month, which is the equivalent of 625 minutes of long distance calling per month at .04 per minute. That's 21 minutes per day. I don't even think that I've made 21 minutes in LD calls since we signed up a year ago.

droopydrew19
12-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Primus has the same thing for $15.95

Does primus offer you the line as well? I thought it was just a long distance carrier?

siggy
12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Does primus offer you the line as well? I thought it was just a long distance carrier?

Primus offers VOIP as well. I pay $29.99 a month (all calling features and voicemail included), and unlimited long-distance anywhere in Canada and the U.S.

Quality wise, it has improved quite a bit in the last year or so.

ken0042
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I signed up for this last night. Install is set for 2 weeks from now.

It's going to be nice to give Telus the boot! :)

Bend it like Bourgeois
03-20-2008, 03:35 PM
There were a few threads like this about a year ago. So, for those who made the switch, how did it work out?

I'm eyeing Shaw phone lite and maybe primus.

Hope it's ok to bump this old thread...

ken0042
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
I had a few issues with losing dial tone in the first few weeks of having their service. However it's now been over a year with no issues. Phone works just like any other POTS service, cheap long distance, and no BS fees.

photon
03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Been perfect so far for me.

fredr123
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
We had the regular Shaw Digital Phone for more than a year and found it to be no different than the regular phone service we had from Telus in the past. It was cheaper and came with more features. However, we found we weren't using enough long distance to justify paying for unlimited long distance so we switched to the Lite offering.

I was disappointed that they don't offer call waiting and voice mail bundled with the Lite service. You have to pay extra. In the last month or so we've also had problems with caller ID. The number appears fine but the name always reads OUT_OF_AREA.

We've also noticed a small delay from time to time. You'll answer the phone and say hello but the other person can't hear you right away. If you wait a beat after picking up the receiver you can compensate for it.

Other than the above, we've been relatively happy with our phone service from Shaw.

photon
03-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Some friends of mine have the phone service with CIA, which resells Shaw, and let me tell you to stay far far away from those guys. They go without a phone so often it's amazing.

Hemi-Cuda
03-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Some friends of mine have the phone service with CIA, which resells Shaw, and let me tell you to stay far far away from those guys. They go without a phone so often it's amazing.

anytime you go with a service providor who doesn't actually have any control over the network they're running on is a bad idea

Hemi-Cuda
03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
oh and for those that want to switch to Shaw for phone, if you want to port an existing phone number be prepared for possible delays. Shaw recently switched from having Bell deal with porting numbers to doing everything themselves. in technical terms, they've become a CLEC (competitive local exchange carrier), which is one step away from an ILEC (incumbent local exchange carrier, ie Telus). so aside from 411 and operator services, everything is handled in house now. and with almost every big change that happens with a big company like that, there are side effects, specifically with the systems setup to send/receive/confirm ported number requests. they still work, but you may have to wait a day or more after installation to get the number ported and actually be on the Shaw system