PDA

View Full Version : Real time scoreboard?

FlamesAddiction
09-24-2006, 02:44 PM
After scanning a game thread for a socring update, the thought occurred to me that it would be a nice luxury to have scoreboard, with a boxscore link or ticker, imbedded somewhere on the page. It would prevent people like me, with little patience for scanning a 20 page thread for a scoring update, from having to ask what the score is, and who scored/assisted.

I think there are probably a few trustworthy posters that are usually involved in the game threads who wouldn't mind volunteering for the priviledge of updating it during a game.

Would this sort of thing work on this site?

photon
09-24-2006, 03:17 PM
It'd be nice, though I'd rather have something that was updated from a reliable external realtime source, like an RSS feed or a WebService. That way it's not dependant on anyone.

FlamesAddiction
09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
It'd be nice, though I'd rather have something that was updated from a reliable external realtime source, like an RSS feed or a WebService. That way it's not dependant on anyone.

I think "The Score.ca" has a way of imbedding their ticker on an outside page (kind of like the weather office thingamajig).. but I am not sure if you can select for only one team. You can make it so it only shows NHL though... I think.

FurnaceFace
09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
If you're looking at doing something like Fotze suggests, I read a World Cup site which did this for the games. There were a group of people who would each take a game and blog it. Their comments stayed at the top and below their blogging, there was a comment section for people to post their thoughts. It was nice because you could read the flow of the game and if you chose go into the comments. The people who did the site were great at it, they typically had some funny and tongue in cheek comments.

Here's their blogging of the final game, the comments are in reverse order.
http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2006/liveblog-france-vs-italy.html

SpitFire40
09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Why not just go to nhl.com or Yahoo? It takes 1 minute

Azure
09-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Why not just go to nhl.com or Yahoo? It takes 1 minute

NHL.com didn't have updates when I was looking during a pre-season game.

Superflyer
10-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Google has a plugin for their google desktop application. It provides updates for all games in real time. Seems like a pretty good tool. Google (http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/hockey.html?hl=en)

photon
10-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I always wonder where these sites get their real time data. I know a few places that provide it but they charge tens of thousands of dollars per domain. I've been looking for free real time NHL scores (and detailed data) in either an RSS feed or a Web Service forever but have never found any.

Kev
10-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I've found Yahoo to be the best. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl

When you view the boxscore of a game, it will refresh if you stay on it, with little action highlights as the game progresses.

jharp
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM

i think this is a fantastic idea, maybe a link to fan960.com too?