PDA

View Full Version : Good Auto-Body Shops?

calf
03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey CP,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of good body shops? I was recently in a collision, and in my not-so-educated opinion, it looks like just the bumper would need replacement (it's cracked/scratched on one side of it), and the headlight on that side is loose. (As a sidenote, my car is an '04 Cavalier...if anyone knows how much this might cost me, that would also be great information).

It would be nice if the place has been approved by State Farm Insurance so I don't have to bother with adjusters going out there to see my car in case I need to go through insurance, but it's not imperative.

Also, if the place has flexible hours (ie, opens before 8:00, or closes after 5:30), that would also be fantastic.

Any suggestions that don't meet what I've said above, or if you have war stories, would also be greatly appreciated, - I like to be armed with information.

TIA :)

Incinerator
03-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Woodridge Autobody, (www.woodauto.ca (http://www.woodauto.ca)) pretty good guys, open 7:30 til 6 on weekdays, no courtesy car though you'll have to rent your own from Enterprise. If you need a courtesy car you'll have to go to A-1 or Lou's. A-1 is slightly pricier/mostly deal with Hondas, and I've never been to Lou's.

http://www.woodridgeford.com/images/wabW.jpg

Incinerator
03-23-2006, 10:07 PM
btw I'm guessing you have about $900 in damages from what you've said, obviously I haven't seen it so can't tell you for sure but expect it to be around that ballpark figure.

FlamesKickAss
03-23-2006, 10:24 PM
dont go to a1. i did and it wasnt done properly

Eddie Bronze
03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Superior Paint and Body. It's on 17th Ave, over by MacLeod Trail. That's where I took my car after the front and back were smashed last year and they did a really good job.

Dion
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Hortons Autobody

snappyk
03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I deal with the body trade, it's lots of fun. Lou's is good, Service Collision, Calgary Coachworks. Most insurance companies will put you into a car so that's not an issue. A-1 is the largest independant body shop in North America, they do have a good name, did you go back to the body shop Flameskickass?

Bill Bumface
03-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Heard lots of good things about Concours.

I had some work done at Shagganapi Chev Olds, they did a great job but a year later the clear coat flaked off. They redid it no questions asked, free of charge, and free rental car.

calf
03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
cool - thanks for the help guys. Concours had a long wait to get in when I called them, but given that I won't be able to flake from work for another little while, it might just be worth it. I'm not sure why, but I think I might feel more comfortable going to a Chevy dealership for it - is that unfounded? Not necessarily cheaper, but they'd have the expertise, no?

FlamesKickAss
03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
cool - thanks for the help guys. Concours had a long wait to get in when I called them, but given that I won't be able to flake from work for another little while, it might just be worth it. I'm not sure why, but I think I might feel more comfortable going to a Chevy dealership for it - is that unfounded? Not necessarily cheaper, but they'd have the expertise, no?

I was rear ended last sunday and I am going to a chevy dealership, i also drive a cavalier

Bill Bumface
04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
My girlfriends Imprezza just got hit and her dealership suggested Shaganappi. She got her estimate today and gets it fixed next monday.

Draug
04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Any other suggestions out there?

I bought the 2007 MazdaSpeed3 from the Buy/Sell forum on Friday. It was parked out front of my house on Wednesday and was rear-ended. It was pushed into my other parked in front of it, and that car was pushed into a minivan. A 5000km car that I had for 5 days; drove it 200kms before it basically was destroyed. Sigh. . .

I am in need of REALLY, REALLY good body and repair shop. The insurance adjuster has come up with $11,000 of damage, so we are looking at a repair job. They wont total loss it until it reaches 70% of its total value, which they peg at $27,000. So, unless there is $8000 of unseen damage, I'll have to get it fixed.

I'm looking for a body shop that is top notch. I dont want the car looking like it has been repaired in any way whatsoever. It'll be pretty hard to do with both ends of the car having damage and at least half of the car needing paint. I want the shop to go the extra mile on everything.

I never drive a car that has this much damage, so I'll be selling it when it is fixed. I'll disclose the accident, but the repairs will have to be perfect for a potential buyer to over look the accident.

Fobulous
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Any other suggestions out there?

I bought the 2007 MazdaSpeed3 from the Buy/Sell forum on Friday. It was parked out front of my house on Wednesday and was rear-ended. It was pushed into my other parked in front of it, and that car was pushed into a minivan. A 5000km car that I had for 5 days; drove it 200kms before it basically was destroyed. Sigh. . .

I am in need of REALLY, REALLY good body and repair shop. The insurance adjuster has come up with $11,000 of damage, so we are looking at a repair job. They wont total loss it until it reaches 70% of its total value, which they peg at $27,000. So, unless there is $8000 of unseen damage, I'll have to get it fixed.

I'm looking for a body shop that is top notch. I dont want the car looking like it has been repaired in any way whatsoever. It'll be pretty hard to do with both ends of the car having damage and at least half of the car needing paint. I want the shop to go the extra mile on everything.

I never drive a car that has this much damage, so I'll be selling it when it is fixed. I'll disclose the accident, but the repairs will have to be perfect for a potential buyer to over look the accident.

I would HIGHLY suggest SOS Auto Body right behind henninger Toyota on Macleod Trail. I have taken my parents Corolla there as well as my Murano there and have been extremely satisfied. They take there time and do a great job.

Fobulous
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Just to add to my last post...

SOS deals with a lot of high end cars and right when you drive/tow your car there you will know what I am talking about. They deal with all of Brasso's Nissan Auto body work as well as a few other dealerships in Calgary.

You won't be dissapointed...

This is coming from another person who had to take there car to a body repair shop after someone rear ended them just 100 km into buying it :(

-FoB.

Draug
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I have had two different experiences with SOS.

The first, was when my uncle had a vintage sports car totally restored there. The work they did was awesome.

The second was on a daily driver of mine. It got hit on the front fender. The repair looked good, but rusted out in less than 2 years. It looked to me like they didnt bother resurfacing the inside of the fender, and the crack in the finish there allowed rust to generate.

The good experience was about 12 years ago, and the bad experience was about 9 years ago. Have recent experiences been awesome? I am hesitant to use SOS again after the poor experience. But, if they are the best, they are the best.

Who would SOS's primary competitor be?

GoinAllTheWay
04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Only been in once accident and went to SOS, they did a really good job. I have heard good things about Calgary Coachworks as well.

4X4
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Craftsman Collision (on a road that runs parallel to McLeod at ~50th?) fixed the ex's banged up ride about 5 years ago and they did my truck about 3 years ago. The work was just fine, but the reason they were chosen, even though neither accident was our fault and somebody else's insurance paid, we still got to use air miles.

Stormy
12-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Alex Reborn Autobody in NE is great. Had my Honda Accord there to paint the front end. Nice Owner, great staff and a spotless paintjob. And the best price I could find.

GreatWhiteEbola
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
+1 Woodridge, had a couple things done there, never any grief.

-1 A-1 Auto body, Woodridge wasn't available to me as they were too busy. Went to A-1, I will never deal with them there again.

I have heard good things about Screaming Paintworks on some of the Automotive forums.

DrPepper
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
National Collisions or Pacific Autobody is what I'd suggest.

Hevishot
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Edmonton Trail Autobody is what I would recomend. Let me know if you need anything. If anyone needs an estimate out there Pm me and I will work with you. We deal with all insurance companies.

Teh_Bandwagoner
12-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Another +1 for Woodridge here. They fixed up my car real nice. They even cleaned the interior of my car! Even the floor mats were sparkling when I got my car back!

I would also recommend Screamin' Paintworks. My bumper got scraped, and the dealership quoted me $900 for everything. Brought it to Screamin' Paintworks. They told me the quote was correct for a full repair, but if I wanted it looking 80-90% good, they could sand and paint it for $60. Looked near flawless when they were done, and even gave me a bottle of touch-up paint for future use.