PDA

View Full Version : NFL Week 1 So Far

flames_1987
09-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow week one is almost in the books and it defintley had some spills and thrills. The Jaguars game was brutal until that last minute and somehow the Browns dug deep and took the Ravens. Not many really really exciting games, the 2 a clock ones were all boring.

Overall, what did everyone think? Sunday nighter and Monday nighter look to be really good ones.

Super-Rye
09-12-2004, 06:19 PM
The Titan's won, that's all that matters. :P

transplant99
09-12-2004, 06:29 PM
All i know is that the Redskins have to be LOVIN the Portis/Bailey trade so far.

Browns 1-0.....likin that for sure.

Hopefully the Pack can join em there tomorrow night.

Pagal4321
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Still think Denver robbbbbed Washington!

My Vikes kicked some major ass and that is all that really matters. Tommorrow's game should be a snoozer!

zarrell
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Big Vikings fan here.

Looks to me like the Vikings are back in their 1998 form, when they went 15-1. They put up 5 TD's through the air against last years best defence. The defence gives up a lot of yards but comes up with big plays when needed, to keep the opposition off the scoreboard. I like what I see so far.

Next week should be an absolute beauty on Monday night. Vikings - Eagles. *drool*

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2004, 08:37 PM
30 minutes to go...but it looks like the Denver Broncos have been seriously underrated.

The Chiefs haven't done squat since they scored on their first drive.

As for the Bailey/Portis deal...that's looking like a win-win deal to me. Bailey is unbelievable.

Oh...and Quentin Griffin is pretty damn good!

transplant99
09-12-2004, 08:48 PM
As for the Bailey/Portis deal...that's looking like a win-win deal to me. Bailey is unbelievable.

Agreed...good deal for both teams...however...after todays game its clear that Gibbs filled a hole in a MAJOR way when he got Portis.

Of course none of this would of happened if Spurrier wasnt a buffoon a couple years ago.

I dont even like the Skins...but I gotta say, Gibbs has that thing looking about 30 times better after one game than at any time last year.

JiriHrdina
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Overall a very interesting first week. Some susprising results and some teams that look to be in some trouble as they have some glaring weaknesses.

And some amazing plays.

Overall great first week. Great to have NFL football back.

One more thing - Denver snuck Bailey into the offense a few times tonight already. It will be interesting to see how much they do that this season.

transplant99
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
What a run by Holmes...holy smokes was that a thing of beauty.

dude may end being the best we ever see if he can stay interested and healthy.

Tron_fdc
09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Holmes is ridiculous......what a runner. As I finish typing this I'm also watching the Griffin hilite reel. Can that guy move laterally or what? Hopefully he can carry that over throughout the season.

Plummer is impressing me as well, I had always thought of him as a bit of a one dimensional (but tough) QB. He looks pretty good so far, though.

JBR
09-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Seems that it may work out better for Denver. Portis may be missed, but Griffin looked great tonight. Champ Bailey can change the way the opposing offense operates. He basically shuts down 1 side of the field. They later put him 1 on 1 with Gonzalez who finished with 2 catches for 17 yards. The addition of John Lynch gives something the Broncos have been missing since Steve Atwater retired: A head hunting solid safety who receivers watch for (Dante Hall after he was almost decapitated!!) So far, it seems Denver may be able to fill the hole with the departed player better than the Skins.. Love to see both go far..

Pagal4321
09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
OH GOD, that hit on Dante Hall was just amazing to watch. Lynch is nowhere NEAR done his career, still has that playmaking abilty.
That hit along with Brian Williams hit on Key were the 2 BIG HUGE MASSIVE hits of the week.

sbailey924
09-13-2004, 09:32 AM
The Pittsburgh-Oakland game was fun to watch.

I think the Chiefs have been overrated, and their schedule this year will be more of a test than last year's. With their injuries, they won't put up near as
many wins.

I hope the Bucs are just that bad and the Redskins not that good. Still can't tell.

San Fran is as good as advertised. ;)

TN won...hopefully Brown and Calico make it back soon. I think they'll be much better than McCareins and George were, if they stay healthy.

Dallas played well, but Minnesota is nasty.

the_only_turek_fan
09-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Pagal4321@Sep 12 2004, 07:44 PM

My Vikes kicked some major ass and that is all that really matters. Tommorrow's game should be a snoozer!
You have won round 1 my firend!!

Disappointing game form Eddie George, I thought he would get more than 25 yards, as for the other aquisition, Keyshawn Johnson played well, I think he had 9 catches and 111 yards.

I agree with everyone though, it was a great week one with lots of great plays, and I am looking forward to week 2.

Sylvanfan
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by transplant99@Sep 13 2004, 12:29 AM
All i know is that the Redskins have to be LOVIN the Portis/Bailey trade so far.

Browns 1-0.....likin that for sure.

Hopefully the Pack can join em there tomorrow night.
Well in fairness to the Bronco's Quentin Griffith made a so called improved Chiefs defence look like a bunch of Canadian highschool idiots tonight, so Shanahan looks to be correct in thinking that anyone can run in his system (at least for this week). Bailey's presence completely shut down the Chiefs passing game, and made Kansas City look one dimensional, hell he even covered Gonzalez a few times and shut him down. So if Bailey can take Harrison out of Indy's equation in the passing game and force them to use other guys to beat them, than the Bronco's defence is suddenly pretty tough, and they'll compete with anyone if Jake Plummer plays like he did last night and last year. Right now the Chiefs look to be Priest Holmes and that's it. As good as the Priest is, I can't see the Chiefs winning more than 6 games with their schedule and how they looked last night. DENVER WILL RUN AWAY WITH THE AFC WEST and you can carve it in stone.

La Flames Fan
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Pagal4321@Sep 13 2004, 01:44 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Vikings.....Sorry I had to....GB Fan here. HAHAHA....I'm hoping the Pack is in form tonight! I think Carolina was a fluke last year....

Watching Randy Moss and Duante Culpepper, now thats a snooze!

CaptainCrunch
09-13-2004, 03:46 PM
All I have to say is Jarome Bettis 5 carries, 1 yard, 3 touchdowns

Displaced Flames fan
09-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCrunch@Sep 13 2004, 09:46 PM
He is now the Short Bus. :P

I'm kind of a closet Steelers fan, as much as a die-hard Broncos fan could be anyway. The Staley/Bettis tandem might work out pretty well for them.

troutman
09-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Don't get too excited about Week One results:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...mmqb/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/09/13/king.mmqb/index.html)

SI's Peter King:

Lest you take the first game of the season as some indicator of January success or failure, let me remind you of these scores from opening weekend 2003:

Buffalo 31, New England 0.

Atlanta 27, Dallas 13.

New York Giants 23, St. Louis 13.

Pittsburgh 34, Baltimore 15.

And, on Monday night, Tampa Bay 17, Philadelphia 0.

The Bucs went on to win seven, Buffalo and Pittsburgh six, Houston five and the Giants four. The five losers made the playoffs. The Patriots, you might recall, had a pretty decent year. After such decisive openers, the fortunes of all 10 teams turned radically in the next four months.

Sylvanfan
09-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Displaced Flames fan+Sep 13 2004, 09:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Displaced Flames fan @ Sep 13 2004, 09:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CaptainCrunch@Sep 13 2004, 09:46 PM
He is now the Short Bus. :P

I'm kind of a closet Steelers fan, as much as a die-hard Broncos fan could be anyway. The Staley/Bettis tandem might work out pretty well for them. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I'll admit that I too like the Steelers. I mean who doesn't love the intensity that Bill Cowher brings to the game every week. He's like the Darryl Sutter of the NFL, but with a much shorter fuse.