PDA

View Full Version : Renting Dvd's

habernac
07-31-2004, 12:39 AM
With DVDs that freeze or skip because other losers seem to have a need to touch the side that the DVD player reads? Or do I just have a really crappy player? I've been considering going back to renting VHS because of all the problems I encounter. Every 3rd DVD becomes an exercise in frustration.

Otto-matic
07-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Im with you habernac. I dont know if its my PS2 that doesnt play DVDs good anymore or its Blockbuster. When ever I put a DVD in the player i get some skip or freeze or it stops. I check the CD and there is finger prints all over the back. I now check it before i play the DVD. I think my DVD player has a problem with scratches too. I just rent VHS for now atleast i know there wont be any finger prints on it. <_< I dont know why people touch the back side where it plays the movie. :angry:

Calgary Flames
07-31-2004, 01:36 AM
I can't believe you'd actually consider going back to VHS because of this... 3 simple solutions:

-Clean the disk before you watch it
-Clean your lens in the DVD player
-Buy a new DVD player... I rent all the time, new, old, scratched up and NEVER have problems.

calgaryred
07-31-2004, 01:50 AM
Some DVD's look like a skating rink cause they are so scratchd up. Me personally haven't had alot of problems. Twice it's happened to me. The first time I was forunate that it was a DVD made by MGM. On those they have both widescreen and fullscreen on the same disc. When the widescreen screwed up I just switched it over to fullscreen and continued watching. The second time I had to bring back the DVD and wait a day cause they didn't have another in stock. I used to sell DVD's a couple years ago. I can't believe how many people don't understand. YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO TOUCH THE DISC!

FlamesAddiction
07-31-2004, 11:32 AM
I have this problem all the time. Just last night I was watching a movie and it froze half way through because the greasy slob that rented before me didn't know the proper way to hand a DVD.

La Flames Fan
07-31-2004, 11:42 AM
I bought a DVD player as soon as they came out, and the problem I had was that some of the newer DVDs aren't formatted to play on certain DVD players. So I'd rent a DVD and it wouldn't work. Arrgg.

Calgary Flames
07-31-2004, 11:48 AM
Just make sure you wipe the disk dow before watching it.. I've never had any problems...

and you do know that if the disk doesn't play for you properly they'll give you your money back right?

BlackArcher101
07-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I have no problem with rental dvd's at all on my player.
Heck, over half of my collection was bought used from blockbluster.

Do you have a first gen player?

Calgary Flames
07-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101@Jul 31 2004, 11:49 AM
I have no problem with rental dvd's at all on my player.
Heck, over half of my collection was bought used from blockbluster.

Do you have a first gen player?
Me too. I always buy used DVD from Blockbuster and for the most part they are in pretty bad shape, but they play and their 1/2 the price of a new one.

8 Ball
07-31-2004, 11:52 AM
I used to have the same problem with my old DVD player. I bought a new Pioneer, and have not had a problem since.

I am no expert on the subject, but I think I heard that they put more information on the new DVD's, so they recommend you buy a proggresive scan player. But then again I might be full of poop.

8 Ball
07-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Double post.

BlackArcher101
07-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 8 Ball@Jul 31 2004, 01:52 PM
I used to have the same problem with my old DVD player. I bought a new Pioneer, and have not had a problem since.

I am no expert on the subject, but I think I heard that they put more information on the new DVD's, so they recommend you buy a proggresive scan player. But then again I might be full of poop.
That's poop.

habernac
07-31-2004, 12:31 PM
sounds like I should upgrade my piece of crap sony, then. Thanks for the info, everyone!

Calgary Flames
07-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101+Jul 31 2004, 11:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackArcher101 @ Jul 31 2004, 11:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-8 Ball@Jul 31 2004, 01:52 PM

That's poop. [/b][/quote]
Yep, a pile o' poop... progressive scan has nothing to do with it... I think you mean "Dual Layer" older DVD players have problems with Dual Layer disks.

8 Ball
07-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson+Jul 31 2004, 01:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperNilson @ Jul 31 2004, 01:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by BlackArcher101@Jul 31 2004, 11:57 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-8 Ball@Jul 31 2004, 01:52 PM

That's poop.
Yep, a pile o' poop... progressive scan has nothing to do with it... I think you mean "Dual Layer" older DVD players have problems with Dual Layer disks.[/b][/quote]
Ya, that was it. Sometimes I get so confused :wacko:

I-Hate-Hulse
08-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Why not just check the disc you get before you leave the store?

It's amazing what people will do to something as soon as the word 'rental' gets attached before it. (I'm guilty too with rental cars... I show no mercy)