PDA

View Full Version : See a problem? Let me know...

photon
11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
With the forum change there's going to be lots of things I'm sure...

Let me know if you find something.

If you are having login problems try clearing your cache and cookies, and if that doesn't work E-Mail the moderator account.

Thanks for your patience.

rockstar
11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Just a couple suggestions, and I'm sure more will come up as we go.

Is there any way we could revert the whole "number of posts in a page" thing to the way it used to be? (i.e. 50 posts per page)

Also, is there any way to separate the sticky threads from the rest of them? I always liked that in the "old days." Just for convenience/tidyness more than anything.

rockstar
11-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Also, what is the difference between a normal reply and a quick reply? I don't remember if we had this before.

PS - this is a quick reply.

Pagal4321
11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
We had fast reply on the old forum..Same as quick reply, doesn't load a new page. MUCH faster.

Just something small.....the filters that were put in like a year or two ago.
Fata....Shinguard....etc.

KevanGuy
11-19-2005, 07:00 PM
In your User CP thing you can adjust number of posts per page I believe.

Incinerator
11-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Can you guys bring back the "fata" and "shinguard" filters, looks better than "****" :D

Otto-matic
11-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Can we do something about this word count before we post like if its under 10 words it wont let you post. Its not very handy

calf
11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Can we do something about this word count before we post like if its under 10 words it wont let you post. Its not very handy

I actually like that. It encourages a minimal amount of thought to be put into posts.

KevanGuy
11-19-2005, 08:20 PM
I agree....

Mango
11-19-2005, 08:24 PM
It's an interesting feature - perhaps we should see how it works?

transplant99
11-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Im sure KG will let you know photon, but as an experiment for others...

I cannot reply in a thread i started originally....anyone else find this also?

photon
11-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I had something really dumb set on your permissions tranny... I set can reply to own threads to "No" lol...

For the other stuff:

Number of posts per page: You can change it but I'll bump the default up, I couldn't remember what it was before.

Sticky threads will be seperated somehow, by colour or by space.

Quick reply is just a way to reply without having to click the reply button and get a whole new page.

It's actually a ten character filter, not a ten word filter.

And for the filters, this software doesn't actually support that out of the box as far as I know; but I'm sure there's a mod for it out there that we can use; that's on the list too.

Flame On
11-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Any chance of an increase in the memory size for an avatar file (gif). Just that all my previous avatars are too big and to rework those animated gifs takes some work. No worries if not, just wondering. They all worked well under the old forum. Anyway, as I said, no worries if not.

photon
11-19-2005, 10:39 PM
You only have to worry about the avatar size if you are uploading it... if you host it on a seperate web space then the size isn't restricted.

(Though try to keep them small please).

Buff
11-19-2005, 10:57 PM
This is a minor thing, but when searching for members you were previously able to list them by name, total posts, and something else. I don't see this function.

Edit:

Nevermind, I found it. Just click on the column heading to sort by that column.

photon
11-19-2005, 10:59 PM
If you click on the column headers you can sort by that column.. And yeah there was something else but I can't remember what. I can add and remove columns I believe so if you remember let me know and I'll see if its addable.

Buff
11-19-2005, 11:02 PM
If you click on the column headers you can sort by that column.. And yeah there was something else but I can't remember what. I can add and remove columns I believe so if you remember let me know and I'll see if its addable.

It was join date, and it is there. I figured out the sort thing, probably 10 seconds after I posted... gotta learn to think before I ask easy questions.

Flame On
11-19-2005, 11:12 PM
You only have to worry about the avatar size if you are uploading it... if you host it on a seperate web space then the size isn't restricted.

(Though try to keep them small please).
It says "Remote file too large" although was the same one as I had before.
I can make a different though.

Buff
11-19-2005, 11:23 PM
The bread crumbs are missing. At the bottom of each thread page are missing. The forum jump is ok, and could be a possible replacement, but I was so used to using the bread crumbs.

Just in case my terminology is confusing anybody. Bread Crumbs are the links to your path from the home page. It looked something like this except it doesn't show the full link:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/index.php - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
And in posting this, I've noticed that the alternate text you can use when posting a link is not enabled. Not sure if it is still an option with the new software or not.

FireFly
11-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Is there a way to bring back the 'mark all posts as read' thing?

Pagal4321
11-20-2005, 12:25 AM
The bread crumbs are missing. At the bottom of each thread page are missing. The forum jump is ok, and could be a possible replacement, but I was so used to using the bread crumbs.

Just in case my terminology is confusing anybody. Bread Crumbs are the links to your path from the home page. It looked something like this except it doesn't show the full link:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/index.php - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
And in posting this, I've noticed that the alternate text you can use when posting a link is not enabled. Not sure if it is still an option with the new software or not.

I THINK me and him are going to be requesting the same thing. But his techno-babble(no offense Buff) is just SO beyond me.
Small thing....
Just at the end of reading each thread....the Jump To Help/Suggestions forum...just so you can get back to the forum page without going ALL THE WAY up.

rockstar
11-20-2005, 01:44 AM
How bout the red rectangles under each user name? I always liked those little ticks and one day hope to have 6 of them under my name!

I was half-way there.... R.I.P. dreams & aspirations....

Edit: heeey, there they are! Nice work Pho.

Reggie Dunlop
11-20-2005, 01:57 AM
You spelled Quarterback wrong.

Phanuthier
11-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Does this board look kind of like the one 4 years ago?

Kind of de ja vu

Nice job boys.

photon
11-20-2005, 07:12 AM

They're at the top of each page now, though there's probably a way to edit the templates to get it at the bottom.

And yeah I noticed that too.. Though if you actually type in the url BBCode it works fine. Not sure if that's an option or just the way the editor works.

photon
11-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Is there a way to bring back the 'mark all posts as read' thing?

If you're viewing a forum it's under the Thread Tools menu.

photon
11-20-2005, 07:24 AM
It says "Remote file too large" although was the same one as I had before.
I can make a different though.

Hm... weird. I tried it yesterday with a HUGE file and it seemed to work fine.

I'll check into it.

FireFly
11-20-2005, 10:02 AM
If you're viewing a forum it's under the Thread Tools menu.

Duh... perhaps I should click all the little buttons first? :bag:

photon
11-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Heh don't worry, took me an hour to figure out how to edit a thread title last night.

KootenayFlamesFan
11-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I find the font size too small. When I've been posting on this new forum, I've been changing mine to size 2. Not a huge difference, but the default size is just a tad too small for my liking.

I've also got a wicked cold and headache this weekend, so that's probably not helping. Or maybe I need glasses?

Buff
11-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I find the font size too small. When I've been posting on this new forum, I've been changing mine to size 2. Not a huge difference, but the default size is just a tad too small for my liking.

I've also got a wicked cold and headache this weekend, so that's probably not helping. Or maybe I need glasses?

I actually like the new font size, but not everybody is going to agree on the same things.

You can change your browser to view the font as larger, but it will effect all the other websites that you view too. Whether you use Firefox or IE, it is the same. Select "View" from the top of the page, then select "Text Size" and you'll see that you can increase/decrease the font size.

Calgary Flames
11-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Test size is a little small... My only complaint/issue.

Patek23
11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
my only problem, get rid of the ten characters minimum for a post, I know most of the time it's not a problem but its difficult in the word assosciation thread and how is fotze going to do his one liners any more! haha

Calgary Flames
11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Aside from the text size, usernames are a tad too large.

photon
11-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Changed the minimum post size.

Yeah, the text size and the user name size were other things that were on my list :)

transplant99
11-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I had something really dumb set on your permissions tranny... I set can reply to own threads to "No" lol...

Probably a good idea anyhow!!!

Thanks dude....terrific effort on your part through this whole sordid debacle.

ken0042
11-21-2005, 07:48 AM
One thing I liked before, at the bottom of each post there was a button to jump right back to the top of the page. I really miss it; it was so easy to be able to get back to the main forum after reading post.

(Yes, I am too lazy to use the scroll wheel on my mouse.) :)

Flame On
11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
One thing I liked before, at the bottom of each post there was a button to jump right back to the top of the page. I really miss it; it was so easy to be able to get back to the main forum after reading post.

(Yes, I am too lazy to use the scroll wheel on my mouse.) :)
Totally with you I loved that. Also agree that it's due to laziness. :confused:

Mango
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I was just wondering if we could bring back the subtopic line, rather than having the thread starter's name there?

photon
11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
That one probably not as the software doesn't have that sort of thing. That'd be a significant change and would make it much more difficult to apply security patches and upgrades in the future.

Mango
11-21-2005, 01:42 PM
No problem :) thanks for checking :)

Canada 02
12-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Problem - when I am at the bottom of a thread, then hit refresh, after the the page reloads, the page jumps up to a seemingly random post rather than stay at the last post prior to the refresh. Is this a problem on my computer?

photon
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I get that as well.. I think it has to do with the time that you read the thread last and the time of the new postings, it seems to happen lots when the thread is really active (like the game thread).

Haven't figured that out yet.

Superfraggle
12-31-2005, 06:55 PM
I was just wondering if we could bring back the subtopic line, rather than having the thread starter's name there?

if you hold the mouse over the thread title for a sec, you can read part of the original post. This seems to help me most of the time when I'm trying to figure out what an ambiguous title is about.

Doesn't help you if you're making the thread, but it's something.

Pagal4321
01-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Well whenever I visit any part of the forum, I continually get a message pop up like so.
ALERT
This document contains no data

So I click OK and these things usually come in pairs. Just wondering what that is all about.

photon
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Basically it's the company that serves the ads servers not being able to handle the load..

You can get rid of the popup by following the instructions here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15244.html

4X4
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
More of a qestion than a prob... Sometimes I don't see the bar at the bottom that shows who is currently reading the thread. Does this mean that nobody is (except me)? Come to think of it, someitmes I see only me in the thread. So that can't be it...

Not a biggie, but I like to see whether certain nemesi are awaiting my next jab... (this means you! (you know who you are))

photon
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
There are a few times when I'll actually disable that feature (during gamethreads typically) to try and keep the performance up while things have been slow.

LockedOut
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Something on this site is eating up my CPU cycles. Makes scrolling up and down real choppy. Things go back to normal when I go to another site. My cpu in task manager will go to 35-45 percent when idle. When I go to any other site it goes back down to 0.

This has only happened in the last week or so using IE and XP.

photon
01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I think some of the ads do that, I've seen it on this site and others that use casalemedia ads.

kipperiggy
01-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Not a problem, but a question I have, but it doesn't really require its own topic.

I was wondering if the filters could be changed so everything isn't ****. I liked the likes of fudge and shinguard. Obviously it's not a huge deal I was just wondering. :)