PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Closing Ceremonies

troutman
08-30-2004, 10:50 AM
I thought the Opening Ceremonies were awsome, maybe the best ever. The Closing Ceremonies were maybe the worst ever. I thought I was watching Greek Idol. What was up with the endless lip-synched pop songs? Where did they get all that confetti? Must have been the unsold tickets.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olym...2.ap/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/08/30/bc.oly.screenplays2.ap/index.html)

"I just want to go home and sleep," Phelps said, a mission he could have begun early if he had NBC's last Olympic broadcast to sedate him.

It was a clunker, overstuffed with ads and stretch marks. The four-hour broadcast could easily have been two, if NBC didn't have so much business to transact, and made for a disappointing end to what had been a memorable 17 days.

Table 5
08-30-2004, 10:56 AM
I didnt get the chance to see the closing, but i thought the opener was fantastic too. Let me just say im no fan of "interpretive dance" type of situations, but the costume design and the overall tone of the opener was amazing....i watched the whole thing with interest all the way, and that's something I rarely ever do since its hard for me to keep focused on one thing for so long.

It was almost as good the Barcelona ceremonies, which IMO, were the best I'd ever seen.

octothorp
08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Opening ceremonies good, closing ceremonies bad. I watched about a half-hour and then got bored. Couldn't believe it was still on when I came back two hours later.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Lots of kitschy stuff from the Chinese to hype the Beijing 2008 games. I sincerly hope they don't go overboard with this stuff in their opening closing ceremonies.... Kids doing kung-fu, cheesy dragon dances... etc...

Yeah the closing ceremonies were a big let down, then again they usually are. Still I don't think anyone can beat Atlanta for bad - c'mon - Pickups trucks in a circle? Yee-haw, call me Cletus...

I missed the opening ceremonies - was amused by the giant doobie that pivoted down to serve as a cauldron. My all time favorite means of lighting the torch has to be Barcelona with the Archer who lit it with a flaming arrow. Go Legolas!

CaptainCrunch
08-30-2004, 01:36 PM
a couple of those woman greek singers were scorching tho, that was a plus. Other than that they were awful. When the athletes left and these people were singer to an empty in field it looked cheesy

Bring_Back_Shantz
08-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 30 2004, 11:47 AM
Lots of kitschy stuff from the Chinese to hype the Beijing 2008 games. I sincerly hope they don't go overboard with this stuff in their opening closing ceremonies.... Kids doing kung-fu, cheesy dragon dances... etc...

Yeah, damn those chinese and their culture. What do you expect from China????? Kung-fu and dragon dances are kitschy and cheesy???? That's like saying all the stuff about ancient Greece is cheesy. Come on man, it's kinda their culture.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Bring_Back_Shantz+Aug 30 2004, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bring_Back_Shantz @ Aug 30 2004, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 30 2004, 11:47 AM

Yeah, damn those chinese and their culture. What do you expect from China????? Kung-fu and dragon dances are kitschy and cheesy???? That's like saying all the stuff about ancient Greece is cheesy. Come on man, it's kinda their culture. [/b][/quote]
Hence the word "kitsch". Chinese culture is about 4000 years old (give or take a milennia), I hope they go beyond the standard "westernized" fare of kung fu and dragon dances, to show this.

Kinda like saying Ginger Beef and Egg Rolls are representative of Chinese cuisine. :huh:

JBR
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Closing ceremonies!! When were the Olympics?

Table 5
08-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 30 2004, 08:06 PM
Kinda like saying Ginger Beef and Egg Rolls are representative of Chinese cuisine.
btw, as a side note, did you know ginger beef was invented in calgary?

Tron_fdc
08-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Table 5+Aug 30 2004, 08:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Table 5 @ Aug 30 2004, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 30 2004, 08:06 PM
Kinda like saying Ginger Beef and Egg Rolls are representative of Chinese cuisine.
btw, as a side note, did you know ginger beef was invented in calgary? [/b][/quote]
I thought it was Vancouver??? I know the Ceasar was invented here, though.

I can't say I watched either the opening or the closing ceremonies. Nothing can compare to '88, seeing as I was actually in 'em. :lol: Didn't we invent the torch relay as well? I think that's a tradiiton that's getting a little out of hand as well.

Bring_Back_Shantz
08-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse+Aug 30 2004, 02:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I-Hate-Hulse @ Aug 30 2004, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bring_Back_Shantz@Aug 30 2004, 01:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 30 2004, 11:47 AM
Lots of kitschy stuff from the Chinese to hype the Beijing 2008 games.# I sincerly hope they don't go overboard with this stuff in their opening closing ceremonies....# Kids doing kung-fu, cheesy dragon dances... etc...

Yeah, damn those chinese and their culture. What do you expect from China????? Kung-fu and dragon dances are kitschy and cheesy???? That's like saying all the stuff about ancient Greece is cheesy. Come on man, it's kinda their culture.
Hence the word "kitsch". Chinese culture is about 4000 years old (give or take a milennia), I hope they go beyond the standard "westernized" fare of kung fu and dragon dances, to show this.

Kinda like saying Ginger Beef and Egg Rolls are representative of Chinese cuisine. :huh: [/b][/quote]
Actually no it's not. Kung-Fu and Dragon dances have been around for thousands of years. That is like saying that the parthenon is a westernized symbol of athens.
How can something that is 4000 years old be kitschy? It's their freaking traditions.

Comparing kung-fu and dragon dances (decidedly chinese cultural elements) to ginger beef and egg rolls (decidedly western) makes absolutely no sense at all. Do you actually think that Kung-fu was created in north america and has just become a stereotype of china???? Not bloody likey.

Let's think of other Kitschy examples of culture that are cheesy and in no way rooted in the fundamental culture of countries:

England: the monarchy and knights
France: Wine
Italy: Opera
Russia: Cossacks, vodka and communism

Come on man, just becuase it is a well known aspect of a culture doesn't make it westernized and Kitschy. I guess we'll have to not use the whole Maple Leaf thingy in 2010 because it's just too cheesy.

troutman
08-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCrunch@Aug 30 2004, 07:36 PM
a couple of those woman greek singers were scorching tho, that was a plus. Other than that they were awful. When the athletes left and these people were singer to an empty in field it looked cheesy
I agree with the scorching greek women:

http://www.annavissi.net/

CaptainCrunch
08-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by troutman+Aug 30 2004, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 30 2004, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CaptainCrunch@Aug 30 2004, 07:36 PM
a couple of those woman greek singers were scorching tho, that was a plus.# Other than that they were awful.# When the athletes left and these people were singer to an empty in field it looked cheesy
I agree with the scorching greek women:

http://www.annavissi.net/ [/b][/quote]
Thank you very much

I got put on the spot by my g/f when we were watching the closing ceremonies. she asked me if I thought the greek woman singing were hot.

Of course I calmly panicked and dove under the couch