PDA

View Full Version : marathon

nfotiu
08-29-2004, 11:08 AM
It looked like the guy was dressed in Italian colours. The italian was in 2nd at the time. He eventually gave up his lead after. It doesn't seem right. They've got to do something about that.

octothorp
08-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that was bizarre. But it's not the Italian mathoner's fault that there's some fanatic from his homeland, if that turns out to be the case. It didn't look to me like this guy did it because he wanted to see the Italian win; looked more like some moron wanting to cause a spectacle. Really hard to say whether Lima would have been able to win regardless. It would be great for the gold-silver medalists to concede the gold to Lima. What an absolute moron, though.

MrMastodonFarm
08-29-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/olympics/national/...thon040829.html (http://www.cbc.ca/story/olympics/national/2004/08/29/Sports/marathon040829.html)
The protestor, dressed in a kilt, was identified as Cornelius Horan, the same man who disrupted the British Grand Prix in July by running on to the course during the race.

Very Bizarre indeed.

calf
08-29-2004, 01:26 PM
The guy was actually Irish, I believe.

This is weird: According to the Reuters News Agency, the sign Horan wore said, "The Grand Prix Priest. Israel Fulfilment of Prophecy Says The Bible. The Second Coming is Near."

I-Hate-Hulse
08-29-2004, 01:49 PM
CNN has a few more details (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/track/08/29/marathon.intruder.ap/) on this nut job. It's really a shame for Lima that he'll never know if he could have hung on to the Gold but I have to give him full credit - no whimpering, no bitterness, no angry tantrums demanding restitution.

Class was a word horribly misused during the Playoffs - but this guy has it.

As for Cornelius, I hope they toss him and his girly legs into a Greek men's prison for a year or so. Then he'll really think it's Judgement Day....

Resolute 14
08-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Speaking of overused words, how on earth does an idiot jumping an athelete constitute as being "tragic"?

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
08-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 29 2004, 01:49 PM
As for Cornelius, I hope they toss him and his girly legs into a Greek men's prison for a year or so. Then he'll really think it's Judgement Day....
I wouldn't feel too sorry for this guy if he "accidentally" fell down the stairs a few times while in police custody.

monty_
08-29-2004, 03:05 PM
So where did the 2 billion dollars worth of security go too? ;)

Seriously, the guy is total class, he even crossed the finish line with his arms out pretending to be an airplane. Considering that you train for years for this one opportunity and have it partially ruined by some nut job, he handled it very well.

jam26
08-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I was watching the Silverstone Grand Prix when he pulled that stunt last year. It was horrifying...I thought he was a goner as the cars swerved to avoid him at 300 km/hr.

Resolute 14
08-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by monty_@Aug 29 2004, 09:05 PM
So where did the 2 billion dollars worth of security go too? ;)

Nothing got blown up, did it?

monty_
08-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Nothing got blown up, did it?

Nope, thank goodness. But the guy could have easily been carrying a gun or knife or something and then what would have happened?