PDA

View Full Version : Yanks playing B-Ball part 2

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 12:20 PM
After 3 quarters Argentina is UP! by 13.

70-57

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Update -- CBC sucks and now they are showing track

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Argentina now up by 9 4 mins remaining

Skinny Chinese guy can run and jump faster than everybody else, including big muscular guys from all over the world

octothorp
08-27-2004, 12:39 PM
keep us updated! I really wish I could watch this game...

calf
08-27-2004, 12:40 PM
80-69 with 3 minutes left

Resolute 14
08-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Aug 27 2004, 06:31 PM
As fascinating as watching the "Dream Team" go down in Flames is, I would still rather see a Canadian hurdler finish 6th than 5 minutes of basketball.

Resolute 14
08-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Americans down by 10 with a minute left....

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Predictable headlines for tomorrow:

The Dream has Become a Nightmare

They lost. It's over.

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye+Aug 27 2004, 12:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snakeeye @ Aug 27 2004, 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RougeUnderoos@Aug 27 2004, 06:31 PM
As fascinating as watching the "Dream Team" go down in Flames is, I would still rather see a Canadian hurdler finish 6th than 5 minutes of basketball. [/b][/quote]
Yeah me too, but they were showing a bunch of Russian women jumping longly for a while.

They could switch back and forth faster as well, we didn't need to see all the preamble to the hurdles while basketball was going on.

@theCBE
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
89-81 loss to Argentina ... wow... everyone kept talking about it and predicting it... but in the back of my mind I just assumed they would win

haha ... oh well

octothorp
08-27-2004, 01:04 PM
It was inevitable that it would happen eventually, but I wasn't sure that it would happen at this Olympics. Especially after they played pretty well against Spain.

That said, an Argentina-Lithuania matchup for the gold could be really fantastic, even if it's somewhat lacking in star-power.

So how was this game? Did the US play fairly well but simply get outplayed by a better team, or did they have poor shot-selection and fouls and such?

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by octothorp@Aug 27 2004, 01:04 PM
It was inevitable that it would happen eventually, but I wasn't sure that it would happen at this Olympics. Especially after they played pretty well against Spain.

That said, an Argentina-Lithuania matchup for the gold could be really fantastic, even if it's somewhat lacking in star-power.

So how was this game? Did the US play fairly well but simply get outplayed by a better team, or did they have poor shot-selection and fouls and such?
I rarely watch basketball so I can't really give much of an analysis but from what I saw (which was most of the 3rd and the last 4 minutes of the 4th) it seemed that the Americans biggest problem was that Argentina wouldn't miss. They were hitting everything.

Duncan fouled out really early and that didn't help. The Americans were playing defense like crazy in the last 4 minutes so they didn't quit. They just couldn't get any closer. They'd get within 7 or 8 and Argentina would come down and knock it back to 10, and they'd take a while to do so which didn't help the US cause.

Watching this kind of basketball is a lot better than the NBA. Today you could really see the difference in style as some Yank would try to do it all himself while the other side would pass the ball 4 or 5 times before someone took a shot. That strategy apparently works.

Table 5
08-27-2004, 01:32 PM
this really makes you wonder if some of the crappier NBA teams will try to alter their strategies after the Olympics have shown how to beat a star studded team.

JiriHrdina
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Good question T5 - it really is going to come down to what the NBA believes is good b-ball. Right now the rules are set up to allow big monster players to dominate the game. The NBA seems to believe that the fans want to see dunks all game - but lets face it after a while that gets very boring.

I would rather the NBA recognize that they've lost the value of fundamentals - passing and shooting and encourage a return to that type of game, or at least a combination of the international game and NBA game. However, I don't know if they will come to that realization.

sbailey924
08-27-2004, 01:38 PM
The refs were absolutely terrible. It has seemed that they have been extremely quick to call fouls on Tim Duncan particularly all tournament. Tim's handled it well, most players would probably flip out if it happened to them.

This isn't America's best team. It'd be like sending the 3-5 place finishers in a track qualifier to the Olympics. The '92 team was THE Dream Team, there will never be another team better.

Table 5
08-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Aug 27 2004, 07:36 PM
I would rather the NBA recognize that they've lost the value of fundamentals - passing and shooting and encourage a return to that type of game, or at least a combination of the international game and NBA game. However, I don't know if they will come to that realization.
well if there is a team or two that adapts a more international system and has success because of it, the game itself will probably evolve into that style whether the league likes it or not. There are rules that the NBA has that gives less credence to the Olympic style of play, but it will be somewhat like when the NHL evolved into a trap system a decade ago after the success of teams like the Devils. If it works, they will adapt to it.

octothorp
08-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Table 5@Aug 27 2004, 12:32 PM
this really makes you wonder if some of the crappier NBA teams will try to alter their strategies after the Olympics have shown how to beat a star studded team.
It's not like there's any shortage of pure-shooters with defensive smarts coming out of the US college system--those guys never get drafted though. Makes you wonder if you took a national championship program, and left them together, gave them the same college-ball gameplan, would they eventually be able to be a dominant NBA team once they mature?

Part of it is percentages, though. When you base your offense on outside-shooting, you can beat anyone when you're on, but you can lose to anyone when you're off. There's a lot more consistency to a typical inside offense. In the Olympic tournament, there was a good chance that one of Argentina, Spain, or Lithuania would come up with a great game against the US in the medal round. It's a little different playing a NBA regular season and a few round of best-of-seven.

habernac
08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
the international game is more than just boring assed slam dunks and trash talking. there's actual passing and defense involved!!! A much better game I think.

troutman
08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
The three point line is way too close in int'l ball.

Bertuzzied
08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Why aint' Carmelhoe talking now? didn't he guarantee a US gold?

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Italy just beat Lithuania so they'll be playing Argentina for the gold.

I'm going to be rooting for Argentina. Not because they beat the Yanks but because of a great player named Pepé Sanchez. Actually, I don't know if he is great, but that is a really great name.