PDA

View Full Version : Employment in the Environmental Field

FlamesAddiction
07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey guys...

I have just completed my B.Sc degree in Environmental Science and am looking for work. I'd be interested in exchanging information related to career opportunities, jobs, contracts, interview advice, etc., with anyone else in this field. I also have a college diploma in Restoration.

I've had a few interviews this week, but I don't feel all that confident. I was offerred an 8 month position in Gatineau, Que. with Environment Canada, but the position was cancelled at the last minute because of lack of funding... so now I am basically hooped for this fall since the contract I am on right now ends in a couple of weeks.

I'm willing to relocate almost anywhere, but prefer Calgary or Vancouver. I have no preference for the type of job, as long as I am in the environmental field and expanding my knowledge and gaining experience. Office, research, or field work - I'm up for it all.

Please don't make me go back to my old landscaping job!

RougeUnderoos
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Congrats on graduating.

I know you probably want to get out of the 'Bridge but... I've known some people who worked at the research station down there and they quite liked it.

FlamesAddiction
07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Jul 29 2005, 12:56 AM
Congrats on graduating.

I know you probably want to get out of the 'Bridge but... I've known some people who worked at the research station down there and they quite liked it.
Thanks. I'm thinking about just going there. I've heard good and bad things. I think it just depends on whose lab you get hired for,

The only problem with the research station is they only hire co-op students there now. I would have to defer my graduation in order to stay in co-op (which I have already done once), and since I thought I would be working, I already applied for grad.

I might still be able to cancel, but it would be a bit of a drag since my dad is hyped about the grad. Not to add unnecessaty emotion to this topic, but my dad was recently rediagnosed with cancer. I would feel awful if he never got to see me finish shcool. My mother already passed away and it is important to me to have one parent witness it as I am the 1st person in my family to go to university.

Yikes, that sounds more sad than I want it too, but lets just say I have personal reasons for not wanting to defer. I might if I have to I guess.

Displaced Flames fan
07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Congratulations FA. You will have a career in a great field, one that I would be in if I had it to do all over again. Very sorry to hear about your Dad. My wife just lost her mother to cancer last month. Hopefully he beats it again.

Good luck finding a job!

FlamesAddiction
07-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Displaced Flames fan@Jul 29 2005, 01:16 AM
Congratulations FA. You will have a career in a great field, one that I would be in if I had it to do all over again. Very sorry to hear about your Dad. My wife just lost her mother to cancer last month. Hopefully he beats it again.

Good luck finding a job!
Thanks Dis. :)

RougeUnderoos
07-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by FlamesAddiction+Jul 28 2005, 07:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlamesAddiction @ Jul 28 2005, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RougeUnderoos@Jul 29 2005, 12:56 AM
Congrats on graduating.

Thanks. I'm thinking about just going there. I've heard good and bad things. I think it just depends on whose lab you get hired for,

The only problem with the research station is they only hire co-op students there now. I would have to defer my graduation in order to stay in co-op (which I have already done once), and since I thought I would be working, I already applied for grad.

I might still be able to cancel, but it would be a bit of a drag since my dad is hyped about the grad. Not to add unnecessaty emotion to this topic, but my dad was recently rediagnosed with cancer. I would feel awful if he never got to see me finish shcool. My mother already passed away and it is important to me to have one parent witness it as I am the 1st person in my family to go to university.

Yikes, that sounds more sad than I want it too, but lets just say I have personal reasons for not wanting to defer. I might if I have to I guess. [/b][/quote]
My cronies were hired under "Project: My Dad Works Here" at the research station so their experience was probably a little skewed.

Sounds like you've got pretty good reasons to not defer anymore and hell, you can't be a Co-op student forever. Might as well join us in the big bad world!

Good luck with everything.

KevanGuy
07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Try Golder Associates in Calgary. Im sure you can find some sort of field work there.

FlamesAddiction
07-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Jul 29 2005, 02:21 AM
Try Golder Associates in Calgary. Im sure you can find some sort of field work there.
They don't have a lot of junior positions on their site right now. I send them resumes periodically though because I know it is mostly timing with them. Not all jobs get advertised - you just have to be there at the right time.

They would be a great company to work for though. I hear nothing but good things about their treatment of employees and the quality of work they do.

KevanGuy
07-28-2005, 09:51 PM
e-mail your resume to cphl_bostonbruins@hotmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

kermitology
07-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Avoid O'Connor like the plague.. they're bas**rds, my girlfriend's brother and my best friend both spent 16 months with them for internship and hated every minute.

I'm finding a lot of enviro jobs on the apegga site, damn me being electrical, but you might find something within those companies..

FlamesAddiction
07-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Jul 29 2005, 03:51 AM
e-mail your resume to cphl_bostonbruins@hotmail.com and I'll see what I can do.
Will do.... Just wrote a whole bunch of cover letters and I'm pooped.

And thanks Kermit... I'll check that out!

Pagal4321
07-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Congrats FA.....sucks to hear about your dad.

You'll find a job after graduation I'm sure....CP will ensure that it seems.

Incinerator
07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by FlamesAddiction+Jul 29 2005, 03:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlamesAddiction @ Jul 29 2005, 03:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KevanGuy@Jul 29 2005, 02:21 AM
They don't have a lot of junior positions on their site right now. I send them resumes periodically though because I know it is mostly timing with them. Not all jobs get advertised - you just have to be there at the right time.

They would be a great company to work for though. I hear nothing but good things about their treatment of employees and the quality of work they do. [/b][/quote]
Yup, my woman works for HydroQual, part of the Golder loop and she loves it there.

Good luck with everything man, hope your dad gets better.

Incinerator
07-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by fotze+Jul 29 2005, 01:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Jul 29 2005, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kermitology@Jul 28 2005, 11:38 PM
Avoid O'Connor like the plague.. they're bas**rds, my girlfriend's brother and my best friend both spent 16 months with them for internship and hated every minute.

I'm finding a lot of enviro jobs on the apegga site, damn me being electrical, but you might find something within those companies..
I will concur with the O'Connor Associates. They are notoriously extremely underpaid and overworked. In this economy it is ######ed. Disorganized and crappy.

They offered a buddy of mine with a masters in engineering $26,000 whereas 4 years earlier he made $40,000 on internship. He promptly told them to fata his hat. [/b][/quote]
shiet I make almost as much as that on a PT job and I'm still in school finishing my undergrad in Communications. How that company still has employees baffles me.

FlamesAddiction
07-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Well guess what...

I was offered a job today. It's only a temporary job, but I'll take it. It's a foot in the door anyway.

The job is with Agri-food Canada in Agassiz B.C. For anyone who doesn't know where that is, it's about 25 km from Chiliwack, 35km from Hope, and about 10 km from Henderson Hot Springs. It's about 80 km from my sister's house in Port Coquitlam, so that is a bonus too.

The bad news is, no trips to the Dome for me this year. The good news though, is that I'll see about getting a satellite to watch Flames games since I will be out of the blackout region! :D

FlamesAddiction
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by fotze@Jul 31 2005, 02:26 AM
So your going to be a beaurocrat? Lots of time to post here then. :lol:
Nah, I wish!

I'm going to out in the field or in a lab most of the time.