PDA

View Full Version : Will Russian organizers and officials be unsportsmanlike??

Flabbibulin
01-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Was listening to Sports Talk on AM770 last night and they were speculating with Dale Henwood from CSC that there may be bad sportsmanship pulled by Russian officials and organizers- ie. other countries equipment showing up late, damaged, transportation arrangements being late, food poisoning... particularly for the stronger athletes/teams.

Is this something that has occurred in past Olympics? I know the Russians have a win at all cost mentality this year, but that seems a little over the top?

AM770 has their audio vault if anyone wants to hear the segment. Believe it was last night around 8:15pm.

http://www.newstalk770.com/audio-on-demand-2/

Oling_Roachinen
01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
How'd that work out for them in 72?

Zach
01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Judges will be paid off that's for sure

saskflames69
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
No, it's Russia. What else do you expect?

Resolute 14
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Judges will be paid off that's for sure

Russia will win gold, silver and bronze in the Ice Dance competition... even if they don't enter three pairs!

Huntingwhale
01-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Of course they will. I honestly expect this to be the crappiest Olympics ever. Just reading about the various experiences that builders and contractors have had dealing with Russian authorities, and knowing how ingrained the Russian mob is in everyday life, of course it will be corrupt. I honestly expect our Canadian athletes to return with horror stories about conditions and their treatment.

Resolute 14
01-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Disagree there. The athletes will be treated like gold. This is all about Putin's image. He's going to want to put the best spin possible on this for all the world to see. It is the Russian people themselves that will probably have the horror stories.

Dion
01-30-2014, 06:47 PM
How'd that work out for them in 72?

"Henderson scores for Canada"

Flamenspiel
01-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Yes, they definitely have a paranoia about it and that has not changed since the collapse of the USSR:

http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/31/russian-official-semyon-varlamov-arrest-sabotage-ahead-of-olympics/

If they actually think that this would happen, you have to think they have thought about using such methods....

Matata
01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
From what I've heard, Russian organizers have already made a complete mess of things. I'm pretty sure the most entertaining aspect of the upcoming olympics will be how much of a gong show it will be. Check out this article:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vancouver+appalled+Sochi+conditions+after+working/9432123/story.html

Other countries equipment and athletes will surely be mistreated, but this will most likely be due to incompetence more than maliciousness.

Table 5
01-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Russia is as corrupt of a country as they come. I mean do people really think it cost $50 Billion to make these games happen? I'd bet at least a good third of that was syphoned off into private/mob pockets.

Nothing nefarious they do would really surprise me.

sevenarms
02-01-2014, 10:52 AM
I know that the Canadian snowboard team was in Sochi last February to train for a few days and were denied access to the hill and treated with zero respect.

Mazrim
02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I know that the Canadian snowboard team was in Sochi last February to train for a few days and were denied access to the hill and treated with zero respect.

Didn't this happen in Vancouver with the bobsled track? I seem to remember something along those lines.