PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/opinion on situation with builder...

Tolwyn
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi guys,

Hoping this falls into the right forum to ask, here's the situation:

- Builder had 15x tradesmen in home performing 1 year inspection warranty work
- Electrician replaced one 3-way light switch that was replaced by homeowner that was not working
- Builder's rep and electrician did not indicate it was not a warranty item and that it would be subject to charges/billing. No briefing to the homeowner or approval was asked or even remotely mentioned. Work was done.
- Homeowner received an invoice of nearly $400 several weeks later

Since I wasn't appraised of the situation, or asked whether I wanted it fixed, is this even reasonable? Do I have any recourse? Performing work without prior approval (verbal or written), does this constitute a billable situation?

Any advice or opinions?

AMG_G
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Ask him to show you a work order.

Tolwyn
09-19-2012, 03:49 PM
That occurred to me except the "work order" may turn out to be the defect list for the 1 year inspection which they went from. In which case, that form actually indicates and I quote "Please consider that some of the items you note may not be an item that is covered under warranty however, we would prefer that you write it down so that we may discuss it on site." -- "discuss", and obviously nothing stating they'd do it.

Another quote from their Year End Warranty/1 Year Inspection form is "Items that have had normal wear and tear and homeowner damage will not be addressed by builder as they are the responsibility of the owner".

Seems to me it's pretty clear and goes back to the point about why they felt it was necessary to go ahead and perform the work without prior approval and then bill. If the electrician screwed up (IE: Didn't know they weren't supposed to do before getting approval); how can the builder hold me accountable?

Northendzone
09-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I have found that builders are so cheap about stuff like this, I mean what is the relationship between the price of this switch and the price you paid for your house?

trublmaker
09-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm a contractor, tell them to come and get their switch out of your house, don't pay them a dime then change it youself.

normtwofinger
09-29-2012, 09:06 AM
$400 for a lightswitch! Ouch.