PDA

View Full Version : 6th and 10th Condo

WilsonFourTwo
09-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Realtor 1 - Please let me know if this is not appropriate and needs changing.....

After many months of eager anticipation, Brad Lamb's "6th and 10th" Sales Center opened yesterday. I'm curious to know if anyone else attended, and if so, what the impressions were. I will say that I am not just a little disappointed, but actually VERY disappointed.

Location: The location (right beside the 10th street railroad tracks) is a bit iffy for me, but the central location is an understandable trade-off.

Floorplans: Tiny compared to some of the other buildings going up. The three sizes of 1BR are 534sqft, 482sqft, and 449sqft. There is a 2BR at 825sqft that I can see being popular though. Of the 8 non-penthouse floorplans, only 3 of them are particularly decent.

Finishes: A good job here, although some of the materials are patterned and will look dated within 5 years. Color schemes are pretty nice though and the materials appear solid. One thing that irks me though is that (almost) every bedroom in the building have semi-translucent sliding doors. It looks tacky and has a "You're trying too hard" feel.

Pricing: I think that the pricing (compared to existing projects) is a bit out to lunch, but most of the downtown/beltline condos are at this point. Units under 768sqft do not come with parking and stalls are $29,900 each and are only available to 1BR+Den Units. The extra $3,000 for a storage locker seems excessive.

I would rate this project as a C-

Pricing Examples (from the list)

6th Floor, North Face, 1BR, 449sqft: $210,900 (No parking)
5th Floor, Northwest Face, 1BR, 534sqft: $248,900 (No parking)
2nd Floor, West Face, 1BR + Den, 638sqft: $286,900 (Parking $29,900 extra)
3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)
5th Floor, Northeast Face, 2BR, 825sqft: $404,900 (Incl Parking)

shermanator
09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
400k for an 800 sq ft place? That is very expensive.

Prices like that are a big reason why there is so much sprawl in this city.

normtwofinger
09-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Was this that stalled project that caused damage to some historic buildings on 11 Ave?

Language
09-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Agreed. As someone who wants to live downtown, prices like this make it very difficult to justify spending over $400k for the square footage you get. With that said my mentality may be out to lunch as I've always wanted a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit and maybe that's just not realistic for someone buying their first place in a new building. At the end of the day, if you have guests and company over you want to have your own separate bathroom and maybe even a spare room. Maybe my mentality needs to change on that. I saw video of a high rise in Tokyo squeezing people into 450 sqft units and they seemed to manage. But that was Tokyo and not Calgary.

As you said, probably a big reason for so much sprawl as you can get townhouses and houses for that price. Throw in condo fees and that's a lot of money. :(

Esoteric
09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Nothing like putting in a higher end condo building right by the bottle depot.

The noise and clients that come from the bottle depot are going to have a negative impact on the resale of anyone that purchases here.

1stLand
09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I used to work right beside where this building is getting constructed. In fact, I would pay $12 bucks a day to park right where they are building the tower. Lots of bums hang out there due to the bottle depot. Not the greatest spot for a condo tower.

Its like the Chocolate tower being across from a homeless shelter.

Bunk
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM

It's pricey, but for people that choose to live there, they'll likely be saving thousands in transportation costs every year. There's always tradeoffs.

Bigtime
09-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Was this that stalled project that caused damage to some historic buildings on 11 Ave?

No, this is a new build.

JMN
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm happy because it just makes me feel that much better about my condo purchase -- just need it to be completed.

3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 --> WOW. Those prices and the location aren't very attractive.

Regorium
09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I think $500 a square foot for unit + parking + locker is pretty standard for new builds nowadays for prime locations.

A lot of those east village condos are selling for 500-600. Keynote 2/Calla were about 450-550. Guardian is a lower end development and even that was 400-500.

fundmark19
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I believe that bottle depot is getting torn down and turned into parking. I remember something about them selling it

Esoteric
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I believe that bottle depot is getting torn down and turned into parking. I remember something about them selling it

I can't find anything concrete on this, I believe the plan was to get rid of the bottle depot, but that changed and now it's going to be sticking around.

fundmark19
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Well that sucks! Good thing since i'm moving to cochrane I get to walk past mec instead of the bottle depot every morning. Can get pretty sketchy there some times

shermanator
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
It's pricey, but for people that choose to live there, they'll likely be saving thousands in transportation costs every year. There's always tradeoffs.

Sure, but unless you buy in cash, you will also spend thousands more in interest to the bank every day than you would for a similarly sized condo in the suburbs. Wouldn't it make more sense to move 12 blocks west and pay 225k for the same sq footage in an older building?

I'm a huge proponent of living in the inner city, but prices like these are just outlandish.

TorqueDog
09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
The invite I got in the mail made this development look/sound way better than the OP is describing it. Damn.

Hack&Lube
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
- 3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)

For downtown, it's average I suppose.

Mine is appraised at the same price range but square footage in the 500s, 1 BR, and high teens in floor number. I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.

bizaro86
09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.

I think that varies by floor. The difference between being on 3 versus 2 is a pretty big deal, and the difference between being on the top versus 2nd highest floor is a big deal, but I wouldn't pay 5k extra to move (for example) from 14 to 15, and I think most people would feel the same way.

WilsonFourTwo
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
- 3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)

For downtown, it's average I suppose.

Mine is appraised at the same price range but square footage in the 500s, 1 BR, and high teens in floor number. I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.

Do you also have the Train rumbling (literally) 25 feet from your home?

I would suggest that this particular unit is competitively priced as far as downtown condos go, but the location just sucks the value out of that number. Getting 10 floors up, I see the train being a non-factor. But for that you need to add another 50k to the price.

If you're hitting the 400k mark, there are far better options than 6th and 10th. (imo)

Bigtime
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Height makes no difference on hearing the CP trains or not, but I can tell you that you quickly get used to them and they will not prevent you from falling asleep or wake you up.

Firebot
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Do you also have the Train rumbling (literally) 25 feet from your home?

I would suggest that this particular unit is competitively priced as far as downtown condos go, but the location just sucks the value out of that number. Getting 10 floors up, I see the train being a non-factor. But for that you need to add another 50k to the price.

If you're hitting the 400k mark, there are far better options than 6th and 10th. (imo)

Working in an adjacent building at a higher floor, you definitely still feel and hear the trains. I don't think it would be enough to wake you up in the middle of the night though, but you couldn't keep the windows open it would really be too loud. Frankly being close to a fire department, or be on a road that fire trucks frequently use is much more annoying.

Hack&Lube
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm a weirdo but since moving downtown, I miss the traffic noises on the street. I think I would even enjoy hearing/seeing trains go by in the middle of the night as long as they don't blow their horns (which they probably wouldn't in the middle of downtown).

That said, on the 3rd floor, the vibration/rumbling might be bit too much.

Jing
09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
The biggest surprise for me is that they are asking for 15% down now with an eta of 2 to 3 years.

Travis Munroe
09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
^^^ Do not let the % down fool you..I am unable to confirm 100% on this condo at this time however I am pretty sure you could get a unit for 5% down. I went through this on the East Village development projects.

Also, anyone interested in purchasing in this condo should PM me..... I cant publicly announce what I might have to offer but ensure it would be worth your time.

Esoteric
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Article in the herald about the bottle depot;

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Condo+project+bottle+depot+collision+course/7360350/story.html

The depot has a lease good until 2020.

Mayo
10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I also thought this place was way overpriced. I overheard the sales-woman telling a guy if he wanted to sit down with her she could see what she could do on prices...I don't think that usually means much when dealing with developers though.

Travis Munroe
10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
typically your looking at "throw ins" vs major price changes.

Bigtime
10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Word is they sold 80 units in the first 30 days.

JD
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Word is they sold 80 units in the first 30 days.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

I showed up at the opening day and it was lined up big. Once I got inside, there were people frantically signing cheques and other documents. Personally, like many in this thread, I didn't care much for the "bang-for-your-buck" ratio, and besides, I thought the decore was kinda ugly.

The constant rattling of bottles from outside didn't help matters either!

That same day I went down the street to the Guardian and found that much more to my liking, in terms of price and looks and style.

Bigtime
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Well hopefully the Guardian gets construction underway soon, word there is that they are still tinkering with a few things with their building permit at the city.