PDA

View Full Version : Rogers buys The Score

browna
08-25-2012, 09:30 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/rogers-will-only-have-small-stake-in-score-medias-digital-growth/article4499177/

I guess it was inevitable that someone scooped up The Score as they just couldn't compete in keeping talent after grooming them for years, and the programming cuts as a result. Too bad it had to be Rogers over Bell, who run most things into the ground.

I really like The Score, at least for evening highlights. Its one channel I can just keep on in the background if I want, and watch the hour loop, all year round. I don't watch it during the day so not sure how the new format with Rene and the former poker player are doing. Also, the soccer analysis from Sharman and Jack is the best in Canada.

Probably mainly I like it is because its about the style of the nightly highlights, without some talking head with an inflated ego at a desk trying to appear funny or smart, or building up some story around every highlight or bend over backwards to try and make some fake connection with the viewer, like are on Connected or Sportscentre. Its just highlights, with abit of a cynical edge sometimes, but voiced over by people who enjoy sports and enjoy the job, not someone who's looking to maintain a reputation on a major corporate entitiy.

Plus, the highlights have a bit of an edge...numerous times the highlight of some second grade baseball game or late season hockey game turns into 30 seconds of pure comedy as they focus on something other than a game.

No doubt that is all gone, and you'll get the B level talent shuffled down to it, Rogers turning it into a 24hr Connected clone that will be unbearable to watch in large doses.

Looks like that Score is keeping a hold of most of its digital rights, where they've also done really well, the Score Mobile app is one of the best out there, over all mobile platforms.

So RIP...from the days of "Headline Sports" in the mid 90's on Shaw Channel just showing scores, morphing into the live "Headline Sports" with Mark Hebscher in 1997, to getting World Series coverage, and the final home Expos Game, to Score Tonight, to what its turned today. Rogers has its inept, inefficient hands on it now.

Paladium
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
What doesn't rogers own? MONOPOLY

Joborule
08-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Ick, they better not tarnish the brand.

TurnedTheCorner
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Ick, they better not tarnish the brand.

lol

TurnedTheCorner
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks like that Score is keeping a hold of most of its digital rights, where they've also done really well, the Score Mobile app is one of the best out there, over all mobile platforms.
The mobile app is great, way better than TSN's IMO. Quick, simple, and to the point. I hope Rogers leaves this alone and/or Score leaves it as is.

CofR
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Its almost embarrassing how much I miss Tim and Sid. I would listen to their podcast religiously. Its not the same now that they're on FAN 590 and its not uncut.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
08-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Its almost embarrassing how much I miss Tim and Sid. I would listen to their podcast religiously. Its not the same now that they're on FAN 590 and its not uncut.

They're back under The Score umbrella now. I wonder if they'll return?

Also, big mistake by Rogers not acquiring the app. It does huge business - half of it in the States.

stampsx2
08-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow, so all those mystery charges on my bill finally paid off for them.

Julio
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
They're back under The Score umbrella now. I wonder if they'll return?

Also, big mistake by Rogers not acquiring the app. It does huge business - half of it in the States.

I don't think the digital rights were a part of the sale. That's really where the ownership of the Score saw their future, not in running a #3 sports channel. Rogers does get a piece of the digital pie.

Hopefully they look at having something like an ESPNews format, at least outside of prime time. I imagine they will keep wrestling long term, but maybe move it to a SN 1 or other station. One also hopes that they keep the CIS coverage that they have done in past years.