PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's true: Raiders of the Lost Ark in theatres in September 2012

killer_carlson
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Greatest movie ever made.

One week in advance of new DVD sales.

So excited to go. Will try to take my kid to it. She might be too young, but I was about 5 when I saw it in theatres the first time.

If you have never seen this movie in the theatre and only see one movie in the next five years, make it this one.

FlamesAllTheWay
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I think I saw a blurb on TV they re-did it for IMAX as well. Definitely will be going to see that.

nik-
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah I saw this today, but I couldn't find showtimes. Is it going to be at both IMAX's? This might be tough to get tickets to.

Wormius
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
In less IMAX-ey goodness, they're doing a free outdoor showing of Raiders at Deerfoot Outlet Mall on Friday. Should be fun for kids, except for the face-melting part near the end... that might be traumatizing.

trackercowe
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
YKUOB8MN4Kc

Although I have seen it in theaters many times, I have no quarrels with seeing it again.

My second favorite movie of all time, only behind Lawrence of Arabia.

AHec0SO_u5g

One of the greatest movie homages in television history.

LockedOut
08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Greatest movie ever made.

One week in advance of new DVD sales.

Is this DVD or Bluray or both?

trackercowe
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Both. Too bad they are forcing you to take Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.

Almost ruins the boxset for me.

nik-
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
I'll gladly buy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to get the first three on Blu-Ray. It's not like Star Wars which retroactively ruined the first trilogy.

Bigtime
08-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Some info from Ain't It Cool:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57622

MissTeeks
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Now I'm not so sad I didn't finish watching it on Showcase Monday night. 11pm was just too late to start.

OilKiller
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Seriously, let it go. The movie was fine.

Reaper
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Seriously, let it go. The movie was fine.No, it wasn't. It nuked the fridge.

Bigtime
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Ok, now I'm hearing reports that this is US only. I don't want that to be true...

Coach
08-16-2012, 11:47 AM
No, it wasn't. It nuked the fridge.

Yeah, and falling out of the plane with the life boat, landing on the snowy mountain, sledding down said mountain, falling off a waterfall and floating away was...realism? (Temple of Doom)

Crystal Skull wasn't cinematic perfection, but it was an entertaining adventure movie.

nik-
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Seriously, let it go. The movie was fine.

It wasn't fine, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the originals.

Inglewood Jack
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
No, it wasn't. It nuked the fridge.

it wasn't the unrealistic situations, because every Indy movie has that. it was watching your confused grandpa who's been wearing the same outfit for the last 30 years being not nearly as cool as the guy who fought the Nazis.

I wanna be young Indy who gets to bed young Marion Ravenwood and Elsa Schneider, not old ass Indy who gets grandma Ravenwood.

Bigtime
08-16-2012, 01:10 PM
it wasn't the unrealistic situations, because every Indy movie has that. it was watching your confused grandpa who's been wearing the same outfit for the last 30 years being not nearly as cool as the guy who fought the Nazis.

I wanna be young Indy who gets to bed young Marion Ravenwood and Elsa Schneider, not old ass Indy who gets grandma Ravenwood.

You watched the Red Letter Media review too didn't you?

Inglewood Jack
08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
was waiting for someone to notice...but yeah, why try and re-invent the wheel when Plinkett always says it best.

the other point they make is equally as important...would you rather watch a chase scene with a real truck or tank that whlie unlikely, is at least theoretically possible? or a chase through a CG jungle populated by CG animals and a fencing match that could have come straight out of Revenge of the Sith?

Knalus
08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
was waiting for someone to notice...but yeah, why try and re-invent the wheel when Plinkett always says it best.

the other point they make is equally as important...would you rather watch a chase scene with a real truck or tank that whlie unlikely, is at least theoretically possible? or a chase through a CG jungle populated by CG animals and a fencing match that could have come straight out of Revenge of the Sith?

That was the part that I couldn't stand. Why the ants?? Why!!!

speede5
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
In some ways CGI has ruined movies.

Raiders was great because it had story, dialogue, heart/soul. The special effects were hard done by craftsmen. If Spielberg/Lucas had todays technology in the 80'S Raiders would have been just as bad as crystal skull.

I wish the movie makers of today would realize the story/dialogue has to be good or no amount of cgi will save it. Just cause we all pay to see these movies, doesn't mean we love them, we just don't have much of an option.

CGI is like salt, it should enhance the meal and bring out the flavor, not be the main course.

Coach
08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah agreed. Its not an accdent that directors like Nolan and Jackson are considered among the best of our day. They know that, whenever possible, real sets and shots need to be used.

The thing that ruins Revenge of the Sith for me more than any other factor is Darth Vaders NOOOOO at the end. And its not because the "No" is ridiculous, its that the character is all CGI. Why? Couldn't put a guy in a Vader costume? And in the same scene when theyre putting the mask on, Anakin's face is so clearly CGI. Why? Because he's burnt? Put some effing makeup on him.

Dion
08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
What if the idol could talk...

NwOXo0wBIjk&feature=related

Wormius
08-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I wonder how much of the CGI is added because of the director vs the movie studio wanting to get the movie out ASAP vs a crappy script.

I am sure a movie like Robocop or some of the early Star Trek movies they would be done in a snap if CGI was used, but I don't think it would have the same feel. Even when CGI is used to simulate something wrecked or dilapidated it still looks too "clean".

TurnedTheCorner
08-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Been there, done that. My Dad took me to Raiders when I was 9. It's not worth $20 to go sit in an IMAX theater when I've seen it so many times since then.

MrMastodonFarm
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Been there, done that. My Dad took me to Raiders when I was 9. It's not worth $20 to go sit in an IMAX theater when I've seen it so many times since then.
Well, la de da.

nik-
08-16-2012, 10:08 PM

I've seen Raiders so many times it's burned into my retinas like the Nazi logo is burned off the box by the Ark.

... It's worth it.

.... hippie.

Northendzone
08-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Is it just me, or has Hollywood quit making fun summer movies like this movie was?

Dion
08-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Seeing the digitised version on IMAX beats the hell out of staying home and watching it on TV. I saw the original when it was released and I will go to see it again for the big screen experience.

cDnStealth
08-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Raiders is among my favorite movies of all time. I'll gladly pay to see this in Imax.

trackercowe
08-17-2012, 09:59 AM
If you don't want to see Raiders again you must have really hated your childhood.

Thus TTC must not have fond memories of his childhood.

Canada 02
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
is this the original movie, or has George Lucus done something to it?

Wormius
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
is this the original movie, or has George Lucus done something to it?

Short Round has been digitally added to all of the scenes to make it more appealing to kids.

Itse
08-18-2012, 07:32 AM
The sword guy propably shoots first now.

Inglewood Jack
08-18-2012, 07:44 AM
The sword guy propably shoots first now.

TQBLTB5f3j0

Bertuzzied
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I will not buy the box set if it includes franchise killer Shia Lacrap in it.

This guy is pure evil. He just ruins everything!

HPLovecraft
08-18-2012, 11:39 AM
People are gonna hate me for this . . .

But I feel the Indiana Jones movies are sort of over-rated, and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull didn't have any more of a foolish premise than any of the other Indy movies, even though that's one of the major reasons that film's hated on.

Bigtime
08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
^^^ I'm sorry but Raiders of the Lost Ark is about as perfect a movie as you can get (in my opinion).

Cecil Terwilliger
08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
I've actually always preferred the Last Crusade but that's probably because I was too young (or more accurately not born yet) to experience Raiders when it first came out. With 3 being my first exposure to the character it stuck with me.

Both 1 and 3 are non-stop action with somewhat silly premises but there is no way I'd ever compare them at all to Indy 4.

Personally as far as lighthearted but still riveting action/adventure movies go 1 and 3 are right up there in terms of all time best in that category.

4 on the other hand is one of the worst pieces of crap to ever grace the silver screen.

nik-
08-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Crusade was my favourite growing up because it was the only one I saw in the theatre. Raiders has become my favourite over time. I love Temple of Doom too.

Northendzone
08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I would agree that 1 and 3 are flawless.....number two lost me when they were in the mine, and the track turned into the greatest roller coaster of all time.......

Cecil Terwilliger
08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
This is OT but one of my favorite movie scenes of all time is when Indy is trapped at the castle (or whatever) by the Nazis and he's explaining to the Nazi guy and Donovan that Marcus is fluent in so many languages and he knows every local custom and that he'll be like a cameleon and that for all they know he's already found the grail.

Cut scene to Marcus Brody at the train station sticking out like a sore thumb and a bumbling idiot.

I just love the conviction when Indy says it and then we find out he's full of it. I think Connery even makes a comment about the fact that he knows a ton of languages but they are all dead languages like ancient greek or some such ####.

nik-
08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
He once got lost in his own museum.

trackercowe
08-18-2012, 06:09 PM
He once got lost in his own museum.

He also contracted aids and died from the disease in 1992:bag:

What makes Raiders of the Lost Ark better than the Last Crusade is the love interest. Marion Ravenwood is one of the great female characterizations in action movie history. While Indy does have to save her a few times, at least she is able to operate independently, and is not completely useless in Jones' quest for the Ark.

Kate Capshaw in completely useless in Temple of Doom, and is a detriment to the quest to find the stones. I still don't understand why he chose to bring her along in the first place.

Schneider in The Last Crusade is pretty good as well, but being siding the enemy doesn't necessarily force her to do much in the movie. She did make a fine looking Nazi though.

The Last Crusade is better for its comical moments, and Sean Connery was great as usual. But, Raiders of the Lost Ark I find to be technically superior (for its age), and is the better developed movie. Of course it had the benefit of being the first in the series, and it is was probably difficult to make a better movie with a similar concept.

It's a real tragedy that River Phoenix died, as he would have been perfectly suited to carry on the mantle (instead of Shia... shudder).

Cecil Terwilliger
08-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't say Schneider was the love interest, instead I would say in both movies he had a sidekick of sorts and in Crusade it was his dad. in raiders it was also his love interest.

nik-
08-19-2012, 12:44 AM
a femme fatale can replace the role of a love interest.

MRCboicgy
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.empiretheatres.com/movie/showtimes_by_theatre/17652/80,79/20120819 gonna be released on the 7th?

moncton golden flames
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
i've heard of the movie, but have never seen it. is it worthwhile?

sixpacked
08-21-2012, 03:29 PM
i've heard of the movie, but have never seen it. is it worthwhile?

Did you forget the green text or just playing silly-bugger??

moncton golden flames
08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Did you forget the green text or just playing silly-bugger??

no, i'm dead serious. i have never seen watched this movie. i have also never watched a terminator movie, rambo or any other sequel movie, other than star wars.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
no, i'm dead serious. i have never seen watched this movie. i have also never watched a terminator movie, rambo or any other sequel movie, other than star wars.

You need to go out and watch Indy 1 and 3 then Terminator 1 and 2 (1 being optional IMO).

Rambo, I'd probably watch the first one which isn't actually called Rambo and is 180 degrees from what 2 and 3 turned out to be.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
You need to go out and watch Indy 1 and 3 then Terminator 1 and 2 (1 being optional IMO).

Rambo, I'd probably watch the first one which isn't actually called Rambo and is 180 degrees from what 2 and 3 turned out to be.

Aliens as well. James Cameron and Stan Winston were at their prime in the 90s.

Rerun
08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Don't forget Top Gun

trackercowe
08-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Terminator 1 being optional? Really. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I feel the first Terminator movie is superior to the sequel. Maybe it's the noire like feel it has going for it, but it just feels more authentic than Judgement Day. Don't get me wrong T2 is great as well, but trying to teach the Terminator human emotions really didn't work for me. The effects are obviously superior in T2, but for 1984 the first movie had fantastic effects as well. It was also great seeing Arnie in one of the few roles where he plays a villain.

It's very similar to how people compare Alien with Aliens. If you want all out action and effects, go for the sequel; however If you are looking for a more authentic, gritty, dark sci-fi/horror movie choose the original.

killer_carlson
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM

I can virtually guarantee you will enjoy it. If you lived in Edmonton I would take you to it, I'm that confident

zamler
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I agree that T1 is the superior movie.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Terminator 1 being optional? Really. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I feel the first Terminator movie is superior to the sequel. Maybe it's the noire like feel it has going for it, but it just feels more authentic than Judgement Day. Don't get me wrong T2 is great as well, but trying to teach the Terminator human emotions really didn't work for me. The effects are obviously superior in T2, but for 1984 the first movie had fantastic effects as well. It was also great seeing Arnie in one of the few roles where he plays a villain.

It's very similar to how people compare Alien with Aliens. If you want all out action and effects, go for the sequel; however If you are looking for a more authentic, gritty, dark sci-fi/horror movie choose the original.

Yup and I think it is far inferior to T2. That being said T1 is still a fantastic film, I just think T2 is the best action movie of all time and it probably isn't even close.

I don't agree with the Alien/Aliens comparison though. Since both Terminator movies are Cameron movies. I just think T1 is a little low rent compared to T2, I could see how someone might call it gritty because of that. T2 being a somewhat similar movie, a pursuit movie with a powerful villain chasing our hero and his outmatched protector, I think it improved on the first one in every category. I wouldn't call T1 more authentic or dark. It just has lower production values.

Alien/Aliens are actually pretty much different subgenres, with both probably fitting into the general sci fi genre.

nik-
08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
T1 is a Thriller/borderline horror movie, T2 is a Blockbuster.

They're both awesome.

zamler
08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
I just think T1 is a little low rent compared to T2
Estimated Budget
The Terminator - $6,400,000
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - $94,000,000

If anyone wants to see some breakdowns of movie costs and return on investment take a look here. (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.php) Raiders was made for $18 million.

trackercowe
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Estimated Budget
The Terminator - $6,400,000
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - $94,000,000

If anyone wants to see some breakdowns of movie costs and return on investment take a look here. (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.php) Raiders was made for $18 million.

Christ almighty, how can Tangled have cost $260 million to make? I realize that there was tons of advertising and promotions on that movie, but that's an insane cost for an animated movie.

Bertuzzied
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I first saw Raiders with my mom at the Palace theatre. soooo awesome. I can't believe that Raiders was in the theatre for over a year during it's first run. now movies last a month at the most?

Dion
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I first saw Raiders with my mom at the Palace theatre. soooo awesome. I can't believe that Raiders was in the theatre for over a year during it's first run. now movies last a month at the most?

You also had to wait almost a year before the VHS version to come out.

trackercowe
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow, this really sucks but it appears Raiders of the Lost Ark will NOT be playing in either Calgary or Edmonton after all. If you check the showtimes next week, Raiders is not going to be shown. While some Canadian cities will be receiving it in Imax for the week, for some reason Alberta is getting the shaft and will not be getting it.

This really pisses me off as I was really looking forward to seeing it. Especially considering the lack of quality releases on the horizon.

What a joke. :mad:

TurnedTheCorner
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Wow, this really sucks but it appears Raiders of the Lost Ark will NOT be playing in either Calgary or Edmonton after all. If you check the showtimes next week, Raiders is not going to be shown. While some Canadian cities will be receiving it in Imax for the week, for some reason Alberta is getting the shaft and will not be getting it.

This really pisses me off as I was really looking forward to seeing it. Especially considering the lack of quality releases on the horizon.

Perhaps the websites are simply not up to date, with the long weekend and all.

MrMastodonFarm
09-02-2012, 04:28 PM

The Ciniplex website?

That don't mean much, if you click on daily showtimes Friday September 7th isn't even listed it, which is usual. It should there the middle of the week.

Dion
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark will play in IMAX for a one-week limited engagement from 9/7-9/13

http://www.imax.com/movies/m/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/

TurnedTheCorner
09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark will play in IMAX for a one-week limited engagement from 9/7-9/13

http://www.imax.com/movies/m/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/

There you go, Empire 16.

trackercowe
09-02-2012, 04:56 PM
There you go, Empire 16.

Hmm, never looked at The Empire website for Calgary (I have no idea where Calgary's Imax theater is located).

Not playing in Edmonton at all though, which means I am out of luck as expected.

Dion
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Hmm, never looked at The Empire website for Calgary (I have no idea where Calgary's Imax theater is located).

Not playing in Edmonton at all though, which means I am out of luck as expected.

Showtimes for the week of 9/7-9/13 won't get posted until next Friday. Phone the theatre that has an IMAX in Edmonton and ask them for clarification on wether they will be showing the movie.

OilKiller
09-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Just for you...

http://i.imgur.com/A4dpL.jpg

trackercowe
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
So Ciineplex updated their showtimes for next week and Indiana Jones won't be playing in Edmonton. Too bad...

nik-
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I just bought my tickets for Friday! ... Nerdgasming right now

Draug
09-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Is there a way to buy the tickets online from Empire's website and choose your reserved seats in advance? I'm assuming all IMAX screens have reserved and numbered seating, ya?

I got all the way to payment screen without being able to select. I'm not about to let them randomly assign me crappy seats. Do I need to go there in person to buy them?

nik-
09-06-2012, 04:49 PM
My tickets say General Seating

theinfinitejar
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
There you go, Empire 16.

As cool as this is, I wish they'd have done it at the real IMAX and not the knock-off version.

nik-
09-06-2012, 10:36 PM
what's wrong with the IMAX at Empire? ... seems fine to me

Ben_in_Canada
09-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Because it's halfway to Red Deer for one thing :bag:

theinfinitejar
09-07-2012, 02:53 PM

It's not a full size IMAX, this (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/05/thats_not_the_imax_i_grew_up_w.html) article by Roger Ebert covers the difference pretty well. The only real IMAX in Calgary is the one at Chinook.

Draug
09-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Are these "IMAX Lite" theaters about as good as the AVX ones then?

The last couple of times I saw an AVX screening at Chinook or Sunridge, I wondered if they were worse than the AVX at Cross Iron where I normally go. I convinced myself they were the same, but now I wonder. If there are IMAX Lite screens, there could easily be AVX Lite too. Being that the AVX screen at Cross Iron was built from the ground up as AVX, it is probably better than Sunridge's or Chinook's AVX screens.

Can anyone correlate this for me?

Ben_in_Canada
09-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Are these "IMAX Lite" theaters about as good as the AVX ones then?

The last couple of times I saw an AVX screening at Chinook or Sunridge, I wondered if they were worse than the AVX at Cross Iron where I normally go. I convinced myself they were the same, but now I wonder. If there are IMAX Lite screens, there could easily be AVX Lite too. Being that the AVX screen at Cross Iron was built from the ground up as AVX, it is probably better than Sunridge's or Chinook's AVX screens.

Can anyone correlate this for me?

It is a pretty big screen. But holy fata $18.99 a ticket? Sitting waiting for the 10:00 screening.

killer_carlson
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I am absolutely devastated that this is not playing in Edmonton. I can't make it down to cgy this week.

I'd even got my daughter all geared up to go with me.

Only hope is OB Won er I mean that next week they move it to edmonton