PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Cooper comes out of the closet

Pizza
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120702064821-anderson-cooper-april-2012-story-top.jpg

"As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter," Cooper writes. "I’ve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when I’ve been directly asked 'the gay question,' which happens occasionally."

Recently, however, Cooper says he's been reminded "that … the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

And so, for the record, Cooper writes: "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/02/anderson-cooper-says-hes-gay-happy-and-proud/

Svensational
07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Good for him! Being comfortable and happy with who we are is so important.

undercoverbrother
07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Maybe some day, a thread won't be necessary for things like this......

If you thank this it will the same as a slow clap for my statement.

Agreed someday this won't be news.

It really shouldn't matter.

Bigtime
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM
I thought this was common knowledge for a few years now?

Sr. Mints
07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I've always been more way more curious about his personal wealth.

Street Pharmacist
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I've always been more way more curious about his personal wealth.

He's probably tidy and good with money, so....

Azure
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Honestly, who cares.

RedMileDJ
07-02-2012, 03:43 PM
In other news: the sky is blue, bears ##### in the woods and people care too much about celebrities and public figures.

As long as he keeps up the great journalism, I'll still be a fan and watch his shows (AC 360).

photon
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm more interested about his spice addiction his crazy blue eyes seem to indicate.

MrMastodonFarm
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
He's probably tidy and good with money, so....

He came out as Jew?

Coys1882
07-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm more interested about his spice addiction his crazy blue eyes seem to indicate.

very nice....

The Goon
07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
In other news: the sky is blue, bears ##### in the woods and people care too much about celebrities and public figures.

As long as he keeps up the great journalism, I'll still be a fan and watch his shows (AC 360).

What do bears do in the woods that's five letters? Dance?

flames_1987
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Lot of people talked about how it was the worst kept secret and so obvious. This still takes a ton of guts and courage to do, especially in the States as a public figure. Good for him

saskflames69
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
In other news, my windbreaker went into the closet today..

Caged Great
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
UYl-2Wsvfrc

GirlySports
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by @Indecision
Anderson Cooper would have come out of the closet sooner but being on CNN prevented him from accurately breaking a news story.

MRCboicgy
07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
What do bears do in the woods that's five letters? Dance?

I know some bears for whom I'd not want to answer this question...

As for AC, not a surprise, I mean any straight guy would not caught be dead chilling with Kathy Griffin

jayswin
07-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Honestly, who cares.

People.

Russic
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Honestly, who cares.

Sadly way too many people. Good for him though. While it's unfortunate something like this needs to be such a thing, there are many kids out there who are dealing with their personal situation in ways that could become harmful. The more examples of people in the public eye coming out and not creating a huge problem for themselves, the better.

MarchHare
07-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Do note that he's been "out" for years with his friends and family, but for professional reasons he kept his sexual orientation private. He didn't want it to be a distraction to his work as a journalist. Would he have been able to conduct a neutral interview Michele Bachmann, for example, if she had known he is gay?

I also agree with everyone who says that this is a non-issue and hopefully one day this won't even be considered newsworthy, but sadly that day is not today. :(

Northendzone
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
that is fine, but the real question that needs to be answered is has he been welcomed to the wiserhood?

Byrns
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5UFJF.jpg

Regular_John
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Honestly the fact that in 2012 celebrities coming out is greeted with a resounding "so what?" is a good thing.

To me it puts us further from "tolerance" and closer to "acceptance", hopefully someday we'll reach the point where gay people won't even need to come out. They'll show up with whomever they like, introduce them as their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/partner and no body will bat an eyelash.

No, we're not there yet, but we're getting closer.

JerzeeGirl
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I think it's news & important only in so far as what he says in his own statement: "that … the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand."
This is very much like the Rick Mercer rant following the suicide of a teen who had killed himself as a result of being bullied for being gay. I can't link to it now (work firewall sucks) but in it he says: "It's no longer good enough for us to tell kids who are different that it's going to get better, we have to make it better now. That's every single one of us, every teacher, every student, every adult has to step up to the plate and that's gay adults too. Because I know gay cops, soldiers, athletes, cabinet ministers - a lot of us do - but the problem is that adults, we don't need role models. Kids do. So if you're gay and you're in public life, I'm sorry you don't have to run around with a pride flag and bore the hell out of everyone but you can't be invisible. Not anymore."

So good for Anderson Cooper for choosing to make himself a role model and stepping into the limelight. I think we all look forward to the day when this doesn't matter but in the meantime, it's good to have more role models for young kids dealing with bullying today for being different.

TorqueDog
07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Here's the video that JerzeeGirl was referring to:
J1OvtBa2FK8

What makes Anderson Cooper coming out interesting for me is that it puts into perspective this interview:
cUXDKnL4xGE

Sr. Mints
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
What makes Anderson Cooper coming out interesting for me is that it puts into perspective this interview:
cUXDKnL4xGE

Jeez . . . She sounds stupid, doesn't have a clue what she's talking about, and after listening to that, I cant even look at her without thinking she looks stupid, too.

Yeah_Baby
07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Jeez . . . She sounds stupid, doesn't have a clue what she's talking about, and after listening to that, I cant even look at her without thinking she looks stupid, too.

That's not what she's talking about. "You're just takin' it outta context." She's a woman of God.

Bertuzzied
07-04-2012, 12:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5UFJF.jpg

Is that the annoying Kathy chick with the Loubardias voice?

She would turn anyone gay!

Mr.Coffee
07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Here's the video that JerzeeGirl was referring to:
J1OvtBa2FK8

cUXDKnL4xGE

I love this video, he makes her look like such a fool and so easily too. He puts on a show like he is genuinely trying to figure out what the hell she even believes but she doesn't even understand what she believes.

It is proving the logic behind anti-gay so faulty and she gets frustrated. Awesome.