PDA

View Full Version : The Newsroom

Yasa
06-19-2012, 06:58 AM
HBO's new show starring Jeff Daniels. Looks pretty good I think, and I'm excited to see what Daniels can do.

wC8ovJYAU3U

Yeah_Baby
06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Aaron Sorkin returns to a TV show about a TV show!

TurnedTheCorner
06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
It's what he knows! And it will probably be very good.

Yeah_Baby
06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm sure it will be good. I'm a Sorkin fanboy. But watching the Trailer I couldn't help but place SportsNight characters in the place of those in the Newroom Trailer. That being said I'm super stoked.

FanIn80
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
http://allthingsd.com/20120615/aaron-sorkin-on-jobs-movie-zuckerberg-as-anti-hero-and-more-the-full-d10-interview-video/

VANFLAMESFAN
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
looking forward to the fast talking about big words.

Actually pretty pumped for this.

Arsenal14
06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Hopefully this lasts longer than Studio 60 did. I've loved all of Sorkin's previous stuff so I'm looking forward to this. It sounds like a similar formula to Sports Night and Studio 60 so it's just a question of whether it finds an audience faster than those did.

TurnedTheCorner
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Being a news show, it should seem more natural for the issues he wants to pontificate on to show up.

Yeah_Baby
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Being a news show, it should seem more natural for the issues he wants to pontificate on to show up.

The Social Gospel according to Aaron Sorkin!

Magnum PEI
06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Didn't CBC have a similar show with the same title? I dont think I ever watched it but I remember it being on all the time.

Arsenal14
06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, there was a CBC show called The Newsroom. I never watched it either but it was supposed to be pretty good (for a Canadian show on CBC).

Draug
06-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Hopefully this lasts longer than Studio 60 did. I've loved all of Sorkin's previous stuff so I'm looking forward to this. It sounds like a similar formula to Sports Night and Studio 60 so it's just a question of whether it finds an audience faster than those did.

Being on HBO, I expect it will be given a real chance. HBO most often gives a show at least two seasons, so there should be time to hook in an audience. And, IMO, HBO doesnt miss often.

I am also interested to see what Sorkin does now that he is not restricted by network TV. Even when his has been, I have really liked his shows, so I have very high expectations for The Newsroom.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Best series premiere since the first episode of the Sopranos.

That was impressive stuff. Hooked already.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Best series premiere since the first episode of the Sopranos.

That was impressive stuff. Hooked already.

I agree 100%.

That was the best hour of tv I've seen in a long, long time. I love GoT but this is different.

As I posted in the tv thread before I saw this one I said I was 5 mins in and I was already calling for Daniels to win best actor and sorkin to win another writing Emmy.

Seriously that hour was better than most movies or entire tv series'.

Almost too good. I'm almost content to just leave it at that because there is no way the next episode will be that good. Lol.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Interesting.

So after googling some reviews I learned this is a miniseries, not an ongoing. Although wiki suggests otherwise. I'm not really sure now.

Also it somehow only has mixed reviews. Either it goes way downhill after the first episode or **shockingly** the joke that is the mainstream media didn't like how harsh the show was on what a complete embarrassment the media has become.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-25-2012, 12:20 AM
As I posted in the tv thread before I saw this one I said I was 5 mins in and I was already calling for Daniels to win best actor and sorkin to win another writing Emmy.

Don't think The Newsroom will be eligible for the Emmys this year. Looks like they missed the deadline by a month.

http://www.emmys.tv/awards/64th-primetime-emmy-awards

I'm thinking the Best Actor category(which is the best category) will come down to Cranston(S4), Hamm(S5), Grammar(Boss, S1), Damian Lewis(Homeland, S1), Buscemi(S2).

getbak
06-25-2012, 12:49 AM
There's nothing like a good old Sorkin "walk and talk".

It looks like the first season is only 6 episodes long, but I'm sure it will get a second season (I think HBO gives everything a second season).

It will be interesting to see if they continue the whole concept of showing us the news a year after it happened.

That's one of the main criticisms of the show that I've seen, and I have to agree. It's very easy to look back on a news story and recreate how it should have been reported in a perfect world with all the benefit of hindsight (if the guy's college roommate wasn't a junior VP at BP, and his sister didn't work for Haliburton, they wouldn't have had any better story than anyone else). It was the pilot, so I'll give them a pass, but if it keeps happening every week, it will drive me away.

GreatWhiteEbola
06-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Not a fan of Emily Mortimer...

I liked what Pill and Daniels had to offer.

Overall I think I will watch.

East Coast Flame
06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
That was a fantastic pilot. I'm hooked. Alison Pill is adorable.

brocoli
06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Holy Hell! Just finished watching and that was unreal. Smart, witty. All around great show. WOW

flames_1987
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Anybody else catch Jessie Eisenberg's cameo last night over the phone?

I really like Allison Pill. She's just been in great project after great project.

MarchHare
06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
HBO uploaded the first episode to YouTube:

1U4ZhFDFYvE

Hemi-Cuda
06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
well that was an incredible series premiere with perhaps one of the best opening rants i've ever seen. it's like if The Daily Show was a proper nightly news show. oh and how has no one mentioned Sam Waterston yet? easily my favorite character in the show so far, he stole every scene he was in (his "I was a marine and I'll beat the #### out of you no matter how many protein bars you ate" line absolutely floored me). i just hope the rest of this season is half as good as that premiere

malcolmk14
06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Just watched the premiere. Absolutely captivating television, if that is a sign of things to come then this show has a bright future on HBO.

JerzeeGirl
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
It was like watching the first episode of The West Wing all over - mind blowingly intelligent, sharp & witty & not something that panders to the lowest common denominator of Jersey Shore fans. Definitely a series you can sink your teeth into which is all too rare in the summer!

Cecil Terwilliger
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Anybody else catch Jessie Eisenberg's cameo last night over the phone?

I really like Allison Pill. She's just been in great project after great project.

I didnt' but now I'll have to go back and try and catch it. Was he the MMS guy?

There was an awesome plug by Sorkin to the Simpsons last night too (I think).

So we all know how Comic Book Guy coined the phrase Worst. Something. Ever. At least I think he did, perhaps it predated him, in which case ignore this whole post.

Anyway during Daniels' rant to the hot college student he said something like "and that's why you're part of the worst period, generation period, ever period".

Hells Bells
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Alison Pill is adorable.

Agreed.

Thought she was kind of weird looking at first glance but she has really grown on me.

Mr.Coffee
06-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Nowhere close to Rome or Game of Thrones but still pretty good.

A little unrealistic, or should I say I would have preferred it to be more realistic.

Opening speech was amazing and 100% bang on, cool to hear an American TV show unleash something like that, even if it's just fiction / TV show.

Sometimes the witty banter seemed over the top or too quick. I feel like virtually nobody talks like that but I guess if this news cast is the smartest and wittiest team ever assembled it could be.

Clearly lining up some love interest stuff between a bunch of them.

Will be interesting to see the follow up, I don't think news items of BP Oil Spill magnitude happen everyday, so they're going to need to rely on relationships and drama to build the story.

Yasa
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't consider the opening speech to be 100% bang on. It started off all well and good but then he starts to talk about the US not being afraid, and blaming problems on the younger generation. The US has always been in a state of fear, and to blame 20-somethings on the problem is a little backwards considering it's been the Boomers that have been at the helm of the country, steering it into the wrong direction.

I still enjoyed the show, but the end of the speech kind of annoyed me.

J pold
06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
The feeling I got from the first episode is good but not great. After reading some of the reviews/feedback from this thread, and in combination with Sorkins writing I thought this would be something special, but in that expectation I was left feeling underwhelmed. Certainly not up to par with HBO pilots like The Sopranos or Six Feet Under.

I thought the main characters (Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer) were very strong, but the supporting cast was flat in my mind. If I wanted to watch a bunch of white quirky college kids and their problems I’d turn on some network trash, at times I felt like I was watching The Real World and not HBO. The beginning rant from Daniels was fantastic and the high point of the episode, but I felt like they didn’t build off it enough, but maybe they will in later episodes. Things got preachy when Emily Mortimer is in his office and going on a rant of her own, just a bit too much idealism in one hour of television.

I was a bit weary when it was revealed that Daniels and Mortimers past relationship was a romantic one. HBO’s best series have had amazingly complex romantic relationships with lead characters (Tony and Carmela) (Nate and Brenda) but this one seems to be the tired story of an old relationship, were feelings still linger, and are reignited by unknowingly being forced to associate with one another. That storyline is fine for a cheap romantic comedy, not for primetime HBO.

Overall the entire episode was coated in this unappealing sanctimonious tone, as if Sorkin thought “I’m smarter than the American public, my opinion is right, and this show is going to show you why”. I’ll give it another watch but the second episode will have to do a lot more for me to spend an hour of week getting told how stupid I am.

Arsenal14
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Have you never watched a Sorkin show before? Yes, he tends to be preachy and sanctimonious. That won't change in future episodes. For me, that's part of the appeal of his shows: he isn't going to dumb down the dialog and isn't going to be afraid to call stupid people or ideas stupid.

Hemi-Cuda
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
J pold doesn't like something. shocker

VANFLAMESFAN
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
A very different episode with a lot more character development than the premiere.

Very impressed by first two eps.

FanIn80
07-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Just finished watching tonight's episode. Man, this show is going to be awesome.

Mike F
07-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Watched the first episode and wasn't particularly impressed.

From the first scene, it felt like it was trying to lecture to me much more that trying to entertain me. It seemed like events occurred and characters made choices not to forward story or a plot, but just to allow the show to bludgeon me with its message with all the subtlety of a kick in the nuts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm left of centre on social issues, and more or less agree with the message, but I don't watch hour long dramas to be lectured to.

MrMastodonFarm
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I had a tough time getting through the first episode to be totally honest. I didn't find it all that smart either, talky sure but not overly smart. If talky was smart Verve would be the best poster here and every homer thing he said about the Oilers would be true.

I loved the Social Network but that was paced beautifully this was just a wall of words. I'll admit it is probably something you have to be in the right mood for, atleast for me.

Buddy from Law and Order was good though and Allision Pill is in fact, a cutie.

Mr.Coffee
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I had a tough time getting through the first episode to be totally honest. I didn't find it all that smart either, talky sure but not overly smart. If talky was smart Verve would be the best poster here and every homer thing he said about the Oilers would be true.

I loved the Social Network but that was paced beautifully this was just a wall of words. I'll admit it is probably something you have to be in the right mood for, atleast for me.

Buddy from Law and Order was good though and Allision Pill is in fact, a cutie.

agree totally with the "talky" smart point, which sways a lot of people. But then when you sit back and realize people don't actually talk this way, or if they do, they are punched in the face and given swirlies, it lends credence to the argument that this dialogue can get irritating quickly and is overrated.

GreatWhiteEbola
07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
32:50 of episode 2, was my limit of "talky", I doubt I will watch again.

KTrain
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
You'll have a whole other season to not watch because it has already been picked up for another season.

FanIn80
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I once read that an Aaron Sorkin script is like an action movie for your brain. Words instead of bullets, sentences instead of car chases and speeches instead of explosions. Walking away from one of his shows or movies feeling insulted or "lectured" is like walking away from a Sylvester Stallone movie feeling weak or "bullied."

It's just entertainment. The difference is it's for your brain instead of your eyes.

PWe8I-9czcw

MrMastodonFarm
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Really?

Sounds like something a Sorkin fan would say to sound smart.

FanIn80
07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Really?

Sounds like something a Sorkin fan would say to sound smart.

Sound smart?

Are action movies based on reality? Not that I'm aware of.
Is Sorkin's style of dialogue based on reality? Also not that I'm aware of.

I do find them both entertaining though. I don't know how mentioning an article that compared his writing to an action movie was supposed to make me look smart.

I also think the fact that I'm even responding to your post, which is really nothing more than an attempt to troll me with your Sorkin "fan(boy)" shtick, is really just more proof that I am not here to make myself look smart.

flames_1987
07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
I love the tone of the show and am glad Sorkin has decided to go at it with this type of pace and what some people describe as "being talked down to". I'd rather Sorkin not pull any punches and offend some people with how he writes this show. I also don't see how someone could feel talked down to, unless they actually buy into what network news stations are doing in the states or the shape that America is in right now. If people feel it lecturing the point to much, I can understand that but I feel it's important for the show to keep pounding away at what it's about.

I thought it be incredibly hard to top such a strong pilot but episode 2 was even stronger. Much more focus on the characters themselves and setting the scene for the rest of the season really well. Jeff Daniels seems like perfect casting.

And trying to avoid what people are calling Sorkin fans as elitists, I would ask for the people who didn't like the show, if they were fans of Sorkin's work before?

Hells Bells
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Every show has its boring moments though. I'll admit some of my favourite shows had some very boring moments and sometimes it can last from an episode to half a season.

If I stopped watching these shows after being bored, I'd no longer be watching Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire.

Notorious Honey Badger
07-03-2012, 12:03 AM
i want to bone the english bird big time.

good show too.

Caged Great
07-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Love this show.

MrMastodonFarm
07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
And trying to avoid what people are calling Sorkin fans as elitists, I would ask for the people who didn't like the show, if they were fans of Sorkin's work before?

I'm a huge fan of Sorkin when he is adapting other peoples work. Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Moneyball are all great films. I've watched Social Network and Moneyball more times then I can count,.

Hemi-Cuda
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of Sorkin when he is adapting other peoples work. Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Moneyball are all great films. I've watched Social Network and Moneyball more times then I can count,.

funny because i find the dialogue in The Newsroom to be very similar to the Social Network, especially for Mark Zuckerberg

J pold
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Agreed. The Social Network was, to my mind, the best movie in come out in years, just an amazing film. The Newsroom (granted I haven’t seen the second episode yet) doesn’t hold a candle in any regard. Someone brought up the pacing earlier in this thread and I realized that’s exactly what I was trying to say in my original post. The pacing of this show is just off.

MarchHare
07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I have to agree with the criticisms of the first episode. I enjoyed it, but it really did feel like Sorkin was getting way too preachy (and I typically agree with his political views!). I hope that is toned down as the show progresses.

My other big complaint: how did those journalists and producers become experts in all things related to off-shore drilling so quickly? That didn't seem at all realistic to me.

JerzeeGirl
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Havng watched the 2nd episode last night, I'm more than sad that there are only 4 left in the season - there's something about a well-written Sorkin show that just leaves you wanting more. I really enjoyed the contrast from last week's debut to this week - seeing the imperfection in this new team cause rather believable cluster####s was very fun tv. Allison Pill really shone this week and I'm loving her interaction with the guy who plays the senior producer.

Jeff Daniels is pitch perfect in this role - so hard to believe he was Harry from Dumb & Dumber some days.

And March - I think they become expert enuf as they have multiple people looking at different angles on off-shore drilling and feeding them to the producers & on-air media. At least that's what I'd guess happens when a real disaster/crisis occurs in actual newsrooms anyways. Also, don't forget these are news junkies - they likely are much more involved generally in a wide variety of topics that allows them to dive in more quickly than most folks. It wasn't totally implausible to me anyways....

MarchHare
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Bill Pullman is pitch perfect in this role - so hard to believe he was Harry from Dumb & Dumber some days.

Do you mean Jeff Daniels?

And March - I think they become expert enuf as they have multiple people looking at different angles on off-shore drilling and feeding them to the producers & on-air media. At least that's what I'd guess happens when a real disaster/crisis occurs in actual newsrooms anyways. Also, don't forget these are news junkies - they likely are much more involved generally in a wide variety of topics that allows them to dive in more quickly than most folks. It wasn't totally implausible to me anyways....

As written, they were making all kinds of claims with a level of understanding of the situation that only an engineer or geologist would have within minutes of learning of the story when details were still very sketchy. Both my wife and I immediately commented that it seemed very unrealistic that journalists and producers would have that breadth of knowledge so quickly after learning of the explosion/spill. I read several reviews of the first episode that also raised the same point.

JerzeeGirl
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
As written, they were making all kinds of claims with a level of understanding of the situation that only an engineer or geologist would have within minutes of learning of the story when details were still very sketchy. Both my wife and I immediately commented that it seemed very unrealistic that journalists and producers would have that breadth of knowledge so quickly after learning of the explosion/spill. I read several reviews of the first episode that also raised the same point.

Good enuf - it didn't stress my disbelief too much but I won't pretend to know what could/would happen in that situation either.

Thanks for pointing out my stupid mistake there too, re: Jeff Daniels vs Bill Pullman...it's a good thing my head is attached today apparently. :)

MrMastodonFarm
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
funny because i find the dialogue in The Newsroom to be very similar to the Social Network, especially for Mark Zuckerberg

As I said earlier the pacing in Social Network is brilliant and is what the Newsroom is missing. The dialogue is of course similar but Newsroom is all Sorkin and when its all Sorkin It's basically all words. Social Network and Moneyball had these quiet moments of pause that were beautiful.

The 2nd episode is on the pvr, not saying It's a bad show but not one I'm rushing to watch either.

flames_1987
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't see anything changing if people did not like the first two episodes, while I'm fine with objectively viewing each episode, I would hope that the people who don't like it, just stop watching it, before it becomes a show to watch just to criticize on here.

Arsenal14
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Havng watched the 2nd episode last night, I'm more than sad that there are only 4 left in the season - there's something about a well-written Sorkin show that just leaves you wanting more.

The first season is 10 episodes so there are still eight to go. Plus it's been renewed for a second season.

To Be Quite Honest
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Some people are calling it preachy while I'd call it challenging. I think it's challenging people to demand better news and be less formulaic. The comment on "What did the other stations lead with?" in episode 1 made me chuckle. Evey news station is pretty much the same and it would be nice to watch some real news instead of the "Best and cheapest way to keep sponsors."

Is this show ground breaking? I don't thinks so, but it's good for what it is. A drama about reporting the news. It's about peoples interaction in a high stress environment. Unfortunately, it's also about "relationships" and sexual tension between Bill Pullman Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer. It's the only part I am not enjoying. I think there are enough elements for conflict without having the ex-girlfriend involved as well. I'll watch it. I try to give a show 3-5 episodes to fine tuning. For example, you can't judge Spartacus on the first 2 episodes. It needed the nudity just to get people to tune in before it got better!

J pold
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
The difference between The Newsroom and The Social Network is the difference between a five year old and a concert pianist playing chop sticks on the piano. The notes are the same but the flow and delivery is completely different.

Mr.Coffee
07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Do you mean Jeff Daniels?

this is what I meant by unrealistic. No way a group of journalists would be oil and gas experts. It was ridiculous what they knew particularly within seconds of the disaster.

Flames0910
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
This show is great. It's had me go back and watch the West Wing for more Sorkin goodness.

This is something CP should appreciate:
http://devour.com/video/sorkinisms/

KTrain
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
I've never watched West Wing. Is it worth watching it now or was it more timely when it first aired?

Caged Great
07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
West wing is still one of my favourite shows.

It's definitely worth watching if you haven't

JerzeeGirl
07-04-2012, 09:23 AM
The first season is 10 episodes so there are still eight to go. Plus it's been renewed for a second season.

Well that's good news - I could swear I had read somewhere that their first season was a 6 episode run, glad to know like S1 of The Walking Dead.

Thanks Arsenal, I'm glad to know that I was misinformed!

troutman
07-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorkin was on Colbert:

http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-colbert-report/full-episodes/#clip709011

Mr.Coffee
07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
just finished episode two and I think it was much stronger than episode 1 and focused more on a story and characters.

The dialogue is sometimes still too quick and witty (unrealistic...) but otherwise a pretty good show!

Flames0910
07-05-2012, 02:07 AM
I've never watched West Wing. Is it worth watching it now or was it more timely when it first aired?

I started after seeing the pilot of Newsroom.

I'm already halfway through season 2. Yes, it's still worth watching :)

VANFLAMESFAN
07-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Waterston versus Fonda for scene of the year?

"you wanna play golf or do you wanna f$&# around."

getbak
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Funny that they brought in Jane Fonda as the owner of the network considering who her ex-husband is.

JerzeeGirl
07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
She was interviewed about this role and was chuckling about her insight track on this type of character after being married to Ted Turner all those years. It was kinda funny...and I thought she killed it, was very good in last night's episode.

I thought the 3rd episode was best yet to be honest - this show seems to keep improving. The opening monologue where Will apologizes for his lack of journalistic integrity was great - even tho you really wouldn't see that ever irl.

Another excellent showing by Allison Pill as well - she & John Gallagher Jr. have great chemistry together...now if only she'd break up with Don!!!

GGG
07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I really like the show but I think the restriction of doing the show in the past limits the impact this news broadcast can have.

For example they essentially spent the 2010 election by attacking the tea party. In the end the tea party wins a lot of seats and becomes a force in the election. Nothing that the actors in the show do changes the outcome of the world because it is set in our recent past.

What is kind of disappointing is that their method of only providing news and the best argument from each side is that it can never change the landscape of how television news is done in the shows world because the future is pre-determined. In order to change they would have to break with the assumption that the show is set in our recent past and that the future of the show will follow the same trajectory as our past. On the plus side they gain the ability to re-tell the news from a different perspective which is interesting. But this keeps the world the show is in very small almost limited to the newsroom itself.

JerzeeGirl
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't think the point is for them to change anything - it's to show the contrast between what a real news show should be & with it being set in the recent past it allows you to contrast it against what we all would remember having seen when these events were covered by the actual news organizations.

Creating a fictional future where this radical change back towards journalism that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator causes wide-sweeping change would be much less realistic to me, personally. People being idiots isn't going to change no matter how well a 1hr newscast shows them that what they're being fed by the political/corporate machines is BS.

MarchHare
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I thought the third episode was the best yet, but there are still some things I find really annoying about the show. Not enough for me to tune out, though. I loved the scenes with the CEO of the parent company (Jane Fonda's character) going head-to-head with Sam Waterston arguing that she had a fiduciary duty to the shareholders to gain more advertising revenue that supersedes any desire the network might have to provide a more informative newscast.

Since we know the show is covering news stories from the recent past, I think it's fun to speculate what events will be the focus of upcoming episodes. In the fiction of the show, we're now in November 2010. I'll bet one of the next episodes will be about the wikileaks release of diplomatic cables (November 28), as they've already strongly hinted they'll be covering that ground. After that, we'll probably see the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, the Arab Spring, the Japan earthquake, the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound, and the terrorist attacks in Norway. The season will probably end with the Occupy protests.

nik-
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure about this show yet. I agree with a lot of what it's saying, but the way it's presented is just a little too "look how smart we are with hindsight" for my liking.

MarchHare
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
A thought about Will's (i.e. Sorkin's) editorial point that congress should have prevented the networks from advertising during newscasts: wouldn't that provide a perverse incentive to create the cheapest broadcast possible? What motivation would the networks have to invest in their news divisions if the hourly broadcast will always be run at a loss?

Arsenal14
07-10-2012, 12:43 PM
You could argue that a strong news show would attract viewers that would hopefully stick around for whatever you programmed after it. Of course, that leads right back to the commercial interests of having a highly rated news show and nothing is really gained.

Mr.Coffee
07-11-2012, 10:05 PM
3rd episode was amazing, show is improving with each episode.

Really liked Fonda's character and the interesting struggle between responsible news and responsible business.

KTrain
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
I've started watching The West Wing. 10 episodes in and so far, so good.

My only complaint is that in every episode someone gets really mad, yells a lot and then apologizes to the person they yelled at. Every episode.

Draug
07-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Tonight on Piers Morgan on CNN, they talk with Dan Rather and get his take on Newsroom. I haven't watched it yet, but its on the PVR, and apparently is quite interesting.

The same Piers Morgan loops throughout the night on CNN, so there is still a chance to PVR it if you are interested.

Voodooman
07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I've started watching The West Wing. 10 episodes in and so far, so good.

My only complaint is that in every episode someone gets really mad, yells a lot and then apologizes to the person they yelled at. Every episode.

Stick with it. Like many new shows, The West Wing improved dramatically in the second season, and seasons 3-5 were the strongest, then there was a little shark jumping in season 6, but the 7th and final season brought the series to a good conclusion. And not to give anything away, but there is a major improvement to the cast at the start of season 2. One of those addition by subtraction things.

For any fans out there, Best Buy has all 7 seasons for $9.99 each, both in store and online. If you order all 7, they include free shipping.

As for The Newsroom, I agree that episode 3 was the strongest yet, and the series shows good promise. I only worry that Sorkin's soapbox has gotten a little too big...

FanIn80
07-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Episode 4 was my favourite one yet!

Caged Great
07-16-2012, 06:50 AM
each episode seems to be getting better than the previous one.

East Coast Flame
07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
That last ten minutes of the episode was some of the most manipulative, self-important television I have ever seen...but I freaking loved it. My goodness that was amazing.

Kavvy
07-17-2012, 12:06 AM
That last ten minutes of the episode was some of the most manipulative, self-important television I have ever seen...but I freaking loved it. My goodness that was amazing.

there is something about this show, every episode follows this trend for me: Start with a climax/interesting intro, just past start to middle gets boring and I think this might actually be the first bad episode, and ends with me just hoping it won't end!

TopChed
07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Apparently Sorkin has fired everyone on the writing staff except for his ex-girlfriend.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/07/aaron-sorkin-fires-almost-all-writers-newsroom/54815/

You would think after getting picked up for a second season after the first two episodes, Aaron Sorkin and the rest of The Newsroom's writing staff would be on cloud nine. And yet, another two episodes later and almost all of the writing staff are getting their pink slips.

Mr.Coffee
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
ending of episode 4 was extremely cheesy.

Hells Bells
07-24-2012, 12:40 AM
ending of episode 4 was extremely cheesy.

Really?

I thought the ending of episode 4 was the best part of the series so far.

MarchHare
07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Ugh, I have such a love-hate relationship with this show. I enjoy the writing and acting in certain scenes (like the bit in the bar between Jeff Daniels and the gossip writer trying to extort him for $50k in the most recent episode), but then other moments are so poorly-written and manipulative. I agree with Sorkin's political views (for the most part), but I can't get over how terribly anvilicious (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious) the writing is. I'll ride this out until the end of the season, but it's about 50-50 if I'll bother watching season 2.

Also, all the female characters on this show are terrible and unrealistic, and I every time there's a lack of professionalism displayed by the ACN crew, I instantly lose my suspension of disbelief. Do we really need a public fight about some character's personal relationship in front of all of his or her co-workers every single episode?

Hells Bells
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Ugh, I have such a love-hate relationship with this show. I enjoy the writing and acting in certain scenes (like the bit in the bar between Jeff Daniels and the gossip writer trying to extort him for $50k in the most recent episode), but then other moments are so poorly-written and manipulative. I agree with Sorkin's political views (for the most part), but I can't get over how terribly anvilicious (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious) the writing is. I'll ride this out until the end of the season, but it's about 50-50 if I'll bother watching season 2.

Also, all the female characters on this show are terrible and unrealistic, and I every time there's a lack of professionalism displayed by the ACN crew, I instantly lose my suspension of disbelief. Do we really need a public fight about some character's personal relationship in front of all of his or her co-workers every single episode?

In all fairness, you can find many flaws in every TV show.

Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire & The Walking Dead are all great shows IMO but you can find flaws in each of them.

I'm not sure I'd watch TV at all if I was bothered by what is or isn't realistic.

Table 5
08-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Just blasted through the first 5 episodes of this. For the most part I'm really enjoying it. I think Harry Dunne and the old guy from Law and Order are pretty fantastic, and a lot of the political points they hammer on are bang on. If only someone in the real world had balls to do this type of news show.

My one big peeve is how everyone is always on. It's non stop witty banter all the time....which I don't mind at times, but it bothers me when it's all the freaking time. Especially between that one guy and the girl who's eyes are about an inch from each other. They annoy me, and the little love story there just seems to get in the way.

Emily Mortimer's character is a bit hard to figure out. I like her as an actress, but she's kind of all over the place in this role.

Oh and Sloan Sabbith in sexy glasses is worth the price of admission alone. My nuclear reactor goes to 7 every time she's on the air.

TopChed
08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
My one big peeve is how everyone is always on. It's non stop witty banter all the time....which I don't mind at times, but it bothers me when it's all the freaking time. Especially between that one guy and the girl who's eyes are about an inch from each other. They annoy me, and the little love story there just seems to get in the way.

Those two really annoy me on the show. I enjoy almost everything else, but watching this budding romance between those two does nothing for me. I also seem to remember Alison Pill being a bumbling assistant in the first episode, who suddenly transforms into some amazing producer in the next episode. The instant transition seemed so out of place to me.

Tinordi
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Most of the show is just incredibly forced and pedantic. No subtlety in the plot and tone. Inferior.

puckluck2
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
So because of this thread I went and paid the $20 for the HBO package and I must say I am not disappointed!

BlackEleven
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Most of the show is just incredibly forced and pedantic. No subtlety in the plot and tone. Inferior.

When I noticed this thread, the lack of subtlety was exactly what I was coming in to post about. I don't hate the show -- it does have some compelling moments in it -- but the fact that they feel they need to force feed me ideas is what is keeping this show from being in the same category as other top quality HBO serial television shows like Game of Thrones, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under or Boardwalk Empire.

I've seen a few comments about those shows not being perfect either or being boring at times, which can be true. But what separates all the great shows from NewsRoom is that they have a certain subtlety and depth that NewsRoom simply lacks. The characters are well developed enough so that I don't need them to overtly state their feelings directly at the camera; their actions alone are enough to infer the characters motivations. They act like real people and real human behavior is subtle. I like to put the pieces of the puzzle together myself not being spoon-fed the answer.

Some examples of what I'm talking about is the jealously that Mac shows when Will is bringing his dates to the office where she can barely function in the planning meeting and references the girls multiple times. Or the silly love triangle where Jim is constantly getting his feelings crushed and then coming up with a clever but dismissive one-liner to whomever he happens to be conversing with. This kind of stuff makes it feel like 90210 should appear somewhere in the title.

However, there are still some flashes of HBO brilliance in the show. The opening rant to start of the series was nothing short of brilliant. The scenes where Charlie is fighting to keep the show alive in the face of corporate interests is also great. And I love the realistic feel of the dynamic between the control room, the producers and the anchor when they're on air.

But overall besides, the occasional swear word, this to me feels like a network show that would appear on one of the big 3 American networks. And in that case, I'd probably love the show. In some ways, HBO is a victim of it's own success (and the recent success of other cable networks producing great quality like AMC) in that I simply expect top quality program from them. There's enough interesting points in the show to keep me watching, but I feel disappointed because the show isn't quite living up to the potential that I feel it has.

Hemi-Cuda
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
When I noticed this thread, the lack of subtlety was exactly what I was coming in to post about. I don't hate the show -- it does have some compelling moments in it -- but the fact that they feel they need to force feed me ideas is what is keeping this show from being in the same category as other top quality HBO serial television shows like Game of Thrones, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under or Boardwalk Empire.

I've seen a few comments about those shows not being perfect either or being boring at times, which can be true. But what separates all the great shows from NewsRoom is that they have a certain subtlety and depth that NewsRoom simply lacks. The characters are well developed enough so that I don't need them to overtly state their feelings directly at the camera; their actions alone are enough to infer the characters motivations. They act like real people and real human behavior is subtle. I like to put the pieces of the puzzle together myself not being spoon-fed the answer.

Some examples of what I'm talking about is the jealously that Mac shows when Will is bringing his dates to the office where she can barely function in the planning meeting and references the girls multiple times. Or the silly love triangle where Jim is constantly getting his feelings crushed and then coming up with a clever but dismissive one-liner to whomever he happens to be conversing with. This kind of stuff makes it feel like 90210 should appear somewhere in the title.

However, there are still some flashes of HBO brilliance in the show. The opening rant to start of the series was nothing short of brilliant. The scenes where Charlie is fighting to keep the show alive in the face of corporate interests is also great. And I love the realistic feel of the dynamic between the control room, the producers and the anchor when they're on air.

But overall besides, the occasional swear word, this to me feels like a network show that would appear on one of the big 3 American networks. And in that case, I'd probably love the show. In some ways, HBO is a victim of it's own success (and the recent success of other cable networks producing great quality like AMC) in that I simply expect top quality program from them. There's enough interesting points in the show to keep me watching, but I feel disappointed because the show isn't quite living up to the potential that I feel it has.

remember that they're only 5 episodes in. The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire took longer than that to really get going, i think as the show progresses and the writers/actors get more comfortable with the characters, things will start to even out

Bunk
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
It's no West Wing - Aaron Sorkin's masterpiece, but it's watchable. It has good moments and also some cringe-worthy ones.

Coys1882
08-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Interestingly enough - that's how I find the majority of your posts! ;)

BlackEleven
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM
remember that they're only 5 episodes in. The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire took longer than that to really get going, i think as the show progresses and the writers/actors get more comfortable with the characters, things will start to even out

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. I think where those shows suffer the most is mid-season when the plot can get stale. I think they both started off with a bang -- Boardwalk Empire in particular. I think the series premiere of BE is a masterpiece.

However, I am a patient man when I believe in the concept of a tv show, which I why I keep watching. I hope the post above about the writer's getting fired is true. I get the feeling that the inane, shallow relationships and everyone constantly airing their dirty laundry in front of the entire office are not the bits that Aaron Sorkin is writing.

This show still has raised some points, which I find interesting. The most interesting point they've raised is about the importance of fairness and balance in news. We're constantly bombarded with the idea that the news should present both sides of the argument equally, but they've made the point several times if one side of a argument is just plain stupid, it doesn't merit equal coverage. As someone who is rather left-leaning myself, it makes me wonder whether this is true, or I just find myself agreeing with it because it happens to fall on the side getting the better coverage. And I think that's an important question to ask yourself. Especially in today's world where the sources of information are seemingly endless and people are becoming increasingly polarized in their political views. So, I really must commend the show for tackling this important topic. I just hope as time goes on they can develop characters that have a depth and nuance equal to the messages they're trying to convey.

Hemi-Cuda
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
i have refrained from criticizing this show too much since i want to give it a full chance (even though i agree with a lot that's been posted here), but in the episode tonight every scene in the airplane is everything that is wrong with the writing in this series. the final bit with Don and the pilots was so cheesy it hurt

i'll still watch it though, but only because Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston are so good

Table 5
08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to see why the writers were fired. It's gone from a really compelling first episode to cheesy melodrama. I thought this is what the news program itself was railing against.

And that blonde chick just needs to go away. The dialogue between her and that dude is just painful. That whole dynamic is ruining the show.

Tinordi
08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Comparing the first five episodes of this crap to the first five episodes of the Sopranos is stupefying. David Chase blows his nose with Sorkin's episode treatments.

GreatWhiteEbola
08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
I threatened to not watch this show awhile back, I decided to give it another try. I too see why the writers were fired. Season 2 might be able to salvage the idea of this show, right now it's a train wreck. IMO.

MarchHare
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know, I found The Sopranos to be pretty over-rated. I never really understood all the praise that show received. It was good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as other HBO shows like Game of Thrones or (especially) The Wire.

Tinordi
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
The Wire and Sopranos are the best. Game of Thrones while fun is nothing more than pulp.

Senator Clay Davis
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Sheeeeeeit, did someone mention the Wire? There's no point to comparing anything to the Wire, whether its TV, a movie or a book. The Wire is the greatest piece of entertainment America has ever produced.

OilKiller
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
So I should be prepared for disappointment then? I've only watched the first episode so far and really liked it. Not sure if I want to watch anymore after reading this thread.

So waiting for American Horror Story season 2....c'mon...

MarchHare
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
So I should be prepared for disappointment then? I've only watched the first episode so far and really liked it. Not sure if I want to watch anymore after reading this thread.

So waiting for American Horror Story season 2....c'mon...

Generally speaking, when the show is focused on the on-air stuff and actually reporting the news, it's pretty good. It loses marks when it switches pace to show the absolutely ridiculous and juvenile high school-esque romantic subplots of the characters. Almost all of the episodes feature cast members participating in unprofessional relationship drama in front of all their newsroom colleagues when they should be working.

And it also gets tremendously sappy with its attempts to tug at the viewers' heartstrings at times. The bit in the most recent episode with Don and the airline pilots is a prime example.

OilKiller
08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Just don't know if I should waste my time then. I'm sure I could find better things to watch if there are issues like that.

MarchHare
08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
I was ready to give up on this show, but the most recent episode was surprisingly good* (with one caveat, see below). I think the amount of zany high school romance hi-jinks has a strong inverse correlation with the quality of each episode. When they keep the focus on the business of reporting and the conflicts between the news division and corporate head office, the show can really be compelling.

*Except for the bit where Sloan choke-slammed a co-worker into a wall because she was self-conscious about having a fat ass. Christ, Sorkin is so awful when it comes to writing believable female characters.

Flash Walken
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah, this last episode kind of brought me back to the show a bit.

Aside from that one scene, I thought the episode was pretty good.

TurnedTheCorner
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I thought the last episode was perhaps the strongest one of the season. You can see a lot of the threads and stories that have been introduced coming to a head in the second half of the two-parter and/or the season finale.

That Sloan scene was cringe worthy though. Still, I'm excited to her lose her **** during the debt ceiling renewal crisis.

Mr.Coffee
08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I've seen every episode and like a masochist I keep going back for more. I have the worst love / hate for this show, but honestly it has never lived up to opening scene episode 1.

It just feels like there's so much potential, and it never really gets there. It feels like blue balls every episode.

Mr.Coffee
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
oh yay, more love drama for Jim and the sideshow.

I was talking to a hipster-like friend on the weekend who was raving about this show and when I asked the need for the ridiculous ass love triangle that actually was quite boring he replied "but every show needs a love story".

No.

To Be Quite Honest
08-20-2012, 05:34 AM
I do wish the love crap would end. It's the only thing killing the series for me.

Yamer
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Some harsh critics.

I just caught up on this show over the past week or so and I'm hooked. The dialogue is the only thing that sticks out as kind of eye-roll worthy. People don't talk like this in real life...but of course I'm aware enough to know this is TV entertainment and not real life.

The idea of the mock debate developing over the last few episodes has me desperately wishing news/politics had that kind of accountable rhetoric in the real world.

Enjoyable show. Will watch.

TurnedTheCorner
08-22-2012, 06:35 AM
I really, really enjoyed the latest episode and have enjoyed the build-up to the two parter and season finale. Good stuff.

Flash Walken
08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I did love how they closed with that shot of Michelle Bachmann answering who she prefers, Elvis or Johnny Cash.

You just can't write that stuff.

Hemi-Cuda
08-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I did love how they closed with that shot of Michelle Bachmann answering who she prefers, Elvis or Johnny Cash.

You just can't write that stuff.

it's really sad that no one in the mainstream news has the integrity or balls to actually ask hard questions in debates. i'd love to see Jon Stewart host a debate

AR_Six
08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
It's not even so much that she was asked that... it's that even when asked the most inane, ridiculous, stupid question that has no bearing on anything, she still didn't answer it.

TurnedTheCorner
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Who gets shot in the season finale? My money is on Terry Crews / Lonny Church.

Flash Walken
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I think Reese may get shot.

Coys1882
08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't care who dies as long as Sloan is fine.

TurnedTheCorner
08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Sloan is, in fact, fine.

Mr.Coffee
08-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I can't handle the shows' cheese factor. Just so layered on... I feel like the only reason I'm watching is because I've already invested so much time into it.

The "why is the country the best in the world" thing and saying you do to that chick was just too much. Bleh.

GGG
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I can't handle the shows' cheese factor. Just so layered on... I feel like the only reason I'm watching is because I've already invested so much time into it.

The "why is the country the best in the world" thing and saying you do to that chick was just too much. Bleh.

But the rant on the tea party going through all of their positions and calling them the american Taliban was fantastic. As well as the differentiation between what you would call Regan / Bush 1 republicans with the current social conservative republicans was really well done.

Then you had Jim and Maggie, and the Mekensie train wreck dragging the show down. The news side of the show is so well done. I can see why Sorkin is re-tooling his writing staff. I'm assuming that the Sorkin rants are Daniels newscasts and the remaining fluff is filled in by the writing staff.

Coys1882
08-27-2012, 11:29 PM
The shame in all this is that none of the people who these Sorkin diatribes are aimed at, will be watching this fataing show.

The Goon
10-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I have just caught on to this show by watching a few episodes on a flight. I agree with what folks are saying here about the fluff dragging the show down, but I also know that that's the stuff that would get people like my wife into the show. She needs characters, backstory, romantic intrigue, etc. So maybe that stuff was put in to attract a larger audience.

It's really good, and I also like that I hadn't heard of 90% of this cast before. Some nice fresh faces.

Senator Clay Davis
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
So I had no idea this show was back on this Sunday until I saw an ad for it last night on HBO. I'll probably watch the first few episodes to see if it has improved much, with the hope the background stories (i.e. the romantic ones) are severely limited and we get more time to focus on the news stuff, the real strength of the show.

VANFLAMESFAN
07-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Will singing Rebecca Black. 2013 TV highlight.

TurnedTheCorner
07-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Will singing Rebecca Black. 2013 TV highlight.

https://vine.co/v/hZTbUDQpau2

Oling_Roachinen
07-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Didn't know it premiered. I remember the finale took place during Summer 2011, not sure if it skipped ahead yet or if started off at that point but I really hope it gets to March 2012 to tackle the media manipulation of the Zimmerman trial this season.

Arsenal14
07-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Season one ended with August 2011 and season 2 started a couple of weeks later. Looks from the first episode that it will hit the end of Arab Spring, the Occupy Wall Street movement and likely Kony 2012 as well as a fictional plotline covering some supposed coverup.

smoothpops
07-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Season one ended with August 2011 and season 2 started a couple of weeks later. Looks from the first episode that it will hit the end of Arab Spring, the Occupy Wall Street movement and likely Kony 2012 as well as a fictional plotline covering some supposed coverup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind
it's based on this

Cali Panthers Fan
07-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Just my opinion, but I was pretty disappointed by the premiere. They completely switched gears on the romantic plot lines in a jarring fashion. The whole intrigue at the beginning with the lawyers wasn't explained in the slightest, and seems to be really dragged out if it's going to be revealed over multiple episodes. I just wasn't a fan of it as a premiere because it didn't intrigue me in any way to watch the next episode.

I really hope it gets better, otherwise I might not bother watching.

Flash Walken
07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
These reviews are turning into hate rants, and I don’t want to do that, so let me start with something that The Newsroom is doing very right.

Operation Genoa. So far, The Newsroom has had little dramatic tension because we know how it all turns out. These are the perils of weaving real-life events into your narrative. Sorry, but The West Wing didn’t do that. Instead, it depicted fictional events that vaguely reminded us of real-life scenarios, and Operation Genoa is kinda like that. As a result, we’re invested in developments surrounding Genoa, but we don’t know how it ends. This is narrative drama 101, and it’s flabbergasting it took Sorkin an entire season to figure it out. Note: it also helps that the actor driving the Genoa storyline is the terrific Hamish Linklater, a smart, compelling screen presence. He’s such a transformative actor that I completely forgot he played Ralph Branca in this year’s 42, which was in itself a memorable performance.

So that’s what’s working in The Newsroom. What isn’t? Nearly everything else. For starters, Sorkin is stuffing way too many current events into each episode. In this one, we had Occupy Wall Street, the execution of Troy Davis, the assassination of Anwar al-Awlaki, and the Republican primaries, which obviously will be a season-long arc. I was pretty interested in how they would take on the Romney candidacy and the 2012 election, but so far it looks Sorkin is only interested in using it as a vehicle to continue the ongoing relationship drama between Jim, Maggie, Don, and whatsername. With the introduction of the cute, blonde reporter on the campaign bus, the love rectangle threatens to turn into a pentagon.

I say, bring it on. She can’t be worse than Maggie, who seems to be getting stupider with every episode. Forget about the way she has so badly mismanaged her love life. People do that in her twenties. Forget about the way she confused Georgia (the state) with Georgia (the country) last season; happens to the best of us. But I will always remember this episode because it is the one in which Maggie actually speaks these ridiculous words, “Can you think of anything about Africa that is relevant to Americans?”
http://reelchange.net/2013/07/23/the-newsroom-season-2-episode-2/

Yamer
07-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I liked the previous opening sequence much more than the current one.

Flash Walken
07-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I liked the previous opening sequence much more than the current one.

Yeah.

The whole season has pretty much sucked from the opening seconds.

smoothpops
07-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Way too cheesy! I actually let out an audible groan when that fax came through

Flash Walken
07-29-2013, 09:20 AM
This show is ####ing terrible.

This is supposed to be the re-write?

Awful.

Senator Clay Davis
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah there is no doubt the show is regressing pretty hard. It still rates relatively well for HBO (and 3X better than Girls which got renewed easily) so I don't see it getting cancelled, but it isn't showing any signs of getting better anytime soon. The season seems to be crawling like a snail right now, and the new forced romantic storylines look like they'll be as painful to watch as last years.

nik-
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I bailed on this one halfway through last season ... sounds like I made the right choice?

A little too much hindsight condescension and lame love triangle for me.

VANFLAMESFAN
07-29-2013, 04:15 PM
I find people take this show way too seriously and that includes Sorkin. But I find it quite entertaining. Definitely lacking the quality of some of the big shows, but on my list of shows that i watch right away.

Hemi-Cuda
07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
This show is getting downright painful to sit through. The biggest complaint about the first season was all of the pointless relationship drama, so what does Sorkin do? Put even more into the 2nd season. Jim's soapbox moment on the bus was cringe inducing, the "reveal" of the reporter being in Will's apartment was unbelievably predictable, and the fax at the end was pure cheese. The only remotely entertaining thing about that episode was the slapstick humor with a guy falling out of a chair.

The irony in Sorking making a show, railing against the trashyness of modern news, itself being trashy and cliched is too much to take. Maybe that's the point though, and he's being so deep that no one else can see it

Flash Walken
07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
I feel like I am watching Gilmore Girls, without Lorelei.

I do think Avian Bone Syndrome is a babe though.

Coys1882
07-31-2013, 10:31 AM
What's that fish with it's eyes on the bottom side by side? Is it a skate? That's Maggie.

Love the dialogue in this show though.

GGG
07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I still really enjoy watching this show. I find it hilarious. I am actually enjoying the Jim on the Bus covering the campaign as it continues the how politics is covered arc. No real questions, just talking points, no plans because that gives someone something to attack.

The tape recorder blackmail stuff was ridiculous but I still like the show.

Other than Maggie, the show is really well acted.

To Be Quite Honest
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
I want to like this show... However, it is crap. Get the frakin' relationships out of the frakin' story! We don't care! The relationships are making this show lame.

Sorkin you are better than this!

This show is 90% relationship.

Iceman57
08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I really enjoy the show a lot and didn't actually understand what the relationship complaints were all about until last weeks episode. Jim giving away the 30 minute interview was not only completely stupid, it wasn't believable in the slightest. With how much of a b***h the red head had been to him, it would have been so much more satisfying if he had accepted the interview, gotten back on the bus and reminded the hot chick that they are competitors.

Anytime Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston, Thomas Sadoski and even Olivia Munn are on the screen, it is absolutely riveting TV with superb acting and writing. I enjoy the news stories a lot more then the "Ross and Rachel" stuff for sure but until the last episode only felt it was a minor inconvenience rather then a distraction. I am hoping the Occupy Wall Street protests gets more play with the Genoa story line which should right the ship cause it really is a good show and i feel smart when watching it.

;)

To Be Quite Honest
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I really enjoy the show a lot and didn't actually understand what the relationship complaints were all about until last weeks episode. Jim giving away the 30 minute interview was not only completely stupid, it wasn't believable in the slightest. With how much of a b***h the red head had been to him, it would have been so much more satisfying if he had accepted the interview, gotten back on the bus and reminded the hot chick that they are competitors.

Anytime Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston, Thomas Sadoski and even Olivia Munn are on the screen, it is absolutely riveting TV with superb acting and writing. I enjoy the news stories a lot more then the "Ross and Rachel" stuff for sure but until the last episode only felt it was a minor inconvenience rather then a distraction. I am hoping the Occupy Wall Street protests gets more play with the Genoa story line which should right the ship cause it really is a good show and i feel smart when watching it.

;)

See, I disagree, this last week was better than the previous week. Jim is a producer and producers assign stories and being that he's not a news reporter it's not that big of a deal for him. He knows what he did, but it's not a big deal for his career. I've done some really stupid career stuff for a woman.

They actually move towards actual story in this episode. It was strong and it developed more character.

Flash Walken
08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
They actually move towards actual story in this episode. It was strong and it developed more character.

And a guy didn't fall off a comically small chair 3 times in a single scene.

Daradon
08-07-2013, 05:38 AM
I totally called Jim was going to pull a boneheaded move like that when the press organizer asked him what he wanted to make her comment go away. It was stupid, he shouldn't have done it, but I don't know if it was unbeliveable. He's just a sucker. Was friends with a guy who was just like that with girls for a long while. Some of the guys on the board may know exactly who I am talking about, he even looks a little like him. Though I don't know if any of them watch this show.

The only thing that bugged me a little was why press lady felt she needed to make a deal. Sure she said something really dumb, but there was no record of it. No witnesses. It'd be his word against hers, and people could logically assume he was just grinding an axe cause of his treatment. Was a weak way to move the plot forward. But it's a small complaint.

Oh, Maggie's story (minus the fact that they wanted the camera, or maybe including that, but I didn't guess that part) was completely predictable too. But it was still a decent story.

MoneyGuy
08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
The only thing that bugged me a little was why press lady felt she needed to make a deal. Sure she said something really dumb, but there was no record of it. No witnesses. It'd be his word against hers, and people could logically assume he was just grinding an axe cause of his treatment. Was a weak way to move the plot forward. But it's a small complaint.

I worked in the media and I don't think that was unrealistic at all. Yes, she could have denied it but he could still have reported it - and the damage is done. The ones who knew he was being mistreated on the tour are not the ones who matter if this was reported.

Fire
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
My only complaint is Maggie. She is scary to look at. The super pale look is a big turn off.

To Be Quite Honest
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
My only complaint is Maggie. She is scary to look at. The super pale look is a big turn off.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16242493/olli%20Jokinen.jpg

Now enjoy the show!

Arsenal14
08-07-2013, 01:26 PM

It's not the super pale look that's a problem for me - it's her tiny, tiny face. Her head is normal sized but her face is tiny!

rbochan
08-08-2013, 06:29 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16242493/olli%20Jokinen.jpg

Now enjoy the show!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/SundarkSoldier/oo.jpg

Thor
08-08-2013, 07:00 AM
I love this show, but yeah less relationship more news, thats the strong suit of the show.

Plus Sloan, wow, Sloan.

To Be Quite Honest
08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
mmm Munn munn munn on that sandwich.

Hemi-Cuda
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I love this show, but yeah less relationship more news, thats the strong suit of the show.

Plus Sloan, wow, Sloan.

The only thing I don't like about her character is that they made her nerdy and awkward. I've never met a woman as hot as that who was socially awkward, it's as bad as those teen movies who try to dress down a smoking hot actress to make her the outcast who finds love at the end

To Be Quite Honest
08-08-2013, 12:22 PM
The only thing I don't like about her character is that they made her nerdy and awkward. I've never met a woman as hot as that who was socially awkward, it's as bad as those teen movies who try to dress down a smoking hot actress to make her the outcast who finds love at the end

A form of aspergers would do it.

Hemi-Cuda
08-11-2013, 11:42 PM
So have they lost their continuity with this show? We saw Maggie cut her hair off at the end of the last episode, but tonight it's magically back? I thought maybe this episode was in a different place in the timeline, but then they directly referenced the Africa trip

I'm guessing this is due to Sorkin deciding to re-write the season midway through, but damn it just looks amateurish

Daradon
08-12-2013, 12:16 AM
^^^ No no no. It's after the Africa trip but BEFORE the lawsuit and lawyers talking to the characters. All those conversations with the lawyers are a flash forward, everything else is in sequence. Maggie going completely off the rails still is yet to happen. Well, it's in the process of happening.

The timeline is fine. But yeah, it was a little confusing right at the beginning. Mostly because they didn't really show the immediate aftermath of Maggie and Jim coming back from their respective trips. Nor did they say 'three months later' or something like that.

As for what happened to Sloan, guys like that definitely deserve what he got and more. But if he was such a porcupine to do what he did to her in the first place, I would think he would sue her for assault after that. Course, they could still go down that road if they want. Though I don't think they do.

rohara66
08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Still really enjoying this show.... good cliffhanger this past week, can't wait for next weeks episode now.

RedMileDJ
08-21-2013, 09:53 AM
I was surprised that Will was dating the girl from the tabloid paper.

When did that happen? I know they buried the hatchet after she damn-near almost destroyed his career and reputation, but now they're banging?

Senator Clay Davis
08-21-2013, 09:58 AM
That happened at the end of I wanna say episode 4, but yeah that was a pretty cringe worthy scene where Mac calls Nina to talk about the message Will left for Mac when he was high last season, except she's with Will so she lies about it.

Decent episode last week but again the relationship stuff has to die a fiery death. Just eliminate Jim and Maggie and this show still has great potential.

RedMileDJ
08-21-2013, 10:04 AM
I say keep Jim, but lose Maggie. Yes the relationship crap needs to die.

FanIn80
08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Jim's fine, Maggie is really annoying though.

RedMileDJ
08-23-2013, 12:50 AM
I found this on my Twitter timeline. Not sure of the source.

Eric Alper (@ThatEricAlper) tweeted at 10:39 PM on Thu, Aug 22, 2013:

Aaron Sorkin confirms HBO has now offered him the opportunity to make a third season of The Newsroom.

https://twitter.com/ThatEricAlper/status/370767316687917056

VANFLAMESFAN
08-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Zero relationship stuff in that episode.....hope the haters enjoyed that one.

That was very entertaining stuff tonight. No episode for two weeks.

Nehkara
08-26-2013, 01:30 AM
What an awesome episode... love this show.

Senator Clay Davis
08-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Of course its a great episode when the focus is the news stuff. That has been our rallying cry all along. No one gives a #### about forced relationship melodrama.

The Goon
08-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Loved watching as every piece of the puzzle fell down around the team. Damn you, Jerry Dantana!

smoothpops
08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Zero relationship stuff in that episode.....hope the haters enjoyed that one.

That was very entertaining stuff tonight. No episode for two weeks.

Maybe i'm nit picking here, but the show really sucks at subtlety. Will goes to (pointedly) watch football, and all of a sudden Mac is super interested in shot clocks...hmmm i wonder where that is going to lead /s
The show does that and the bad relationship stuff almost every episode. If the news stuff wasn't so well done, i'd gladly drop this show. If sorkin fixed that, this show could be epic.
On a positive note, this show does an unreal job at keeping the timeline and taking the viewer along for the ride.

Nehkara
08-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Maybe i'm nit picking here, but the show really sucks at subtlety. Will goes to (pointedly) watch football, and all of a sudden Mac is super interested in shot clocks...hmmm i wonder where that is going to lead /s
The show does that and the bad relationship stuff almost every episode. If the news stuff wasn't so well done, i'd gladly drop this show. If sorkin fixed that, this show could be epic.
On a positive note, this show does an unreal job at keeping the timeline and taking the viewer along for the ride.

I disagree with this.

This happens to me all the time. Something is niggling at the back of my brain and I can't quite figure it out and it just keeps bugging me and everything reminds me of it, but I can't quite get it... until I do.

rohara66
08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
I was losing it last night cause my pvr errored so had to wait till tonight haha.

Great episode again.

RedMileDJ
08-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Regarding the TV:

When the time came for the interview, and he insisted the TV be left on, I remember turning to my wife and saying "and that's how they'll figure out it's fake...that genoa didn't happen."

Called it! Serious, other people must have pieced that together as well.

But it was still interesting to see the series of events happen, and watch things fall apart around them.

I didn't see the dude setting Charlie up like that. That caught me off guard!

rohara66
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Regarding the TV:

When they first watched the cut with red team 1 I was positive the screen skipped (and I assumed the game and the time clock). And then as soon as last weeks episode confirmed the report was going to be proved false I had it figured it out as well. But even then there were still the other sources.

MoneyGuy
08-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Just watched it; absolutely amazing episode. I was spellbound.

19Yzerman19
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
You know why that episode really kicked ass? Jane Fonda. What a scene.

Flash Walken
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
You know why that episode really kicked ass? Jane Fonda. What a scene.

"Liona, are you stoned?"

Also liked how the billionaire media tycoon and the top corporate lawyer are old pals, "Lee" "Becca".

Best episode of the series aside from maybe the first one. I hope these are the re-write episodes.

Kavvy
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
So maybe they said this, or we will never find out, but I want to know 2 things:

Who is Will's source and is it the same person?
What did the general actually say that was cut out. I know it is moot at this point in the storyline, but his character was intresting and I would be intrestred in hearing what he actually said from "if we used chemicals weapons, here is how we would have..."

Pagal4321
08-29-2013, 12:30 PM
That was the best episode of either season, hands down.

Senator Clay Davis
09-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Wow what a brutal finale. Almost all relationship stuff and little news stuff. So much talent being wasted on network TV level material.

RedMileDJ
09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Wow what a brutal finale. Almost all relationship stuff and little news stuff. So much talent being wasted on network TV level material.

Wait...tonight is the FINALE?!?! No more episodes for like...a while? Serious?!?

I gotta stop with the Red Bull at 10pm.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Last ten minutes were pretty stomach churning. It was gross.

I still do enjoy the show though. I'm okay with the relationship stuff as nothing but news stuff with no background on the characters would be brutal.

Daradon
09-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Wow, that was a bit of a let down after the good episodes concerning Genoa.

And yeah, the last ten minutes were sickeningly goofy.

Happy about Will and MacKenzie though. And hopefully that prevent some of their stupid back and forth banters about where they stand on each other.

RedMileDJ
09-16-2013, 03:37 AM
I haven't watched the season finale yet. I'll be doing that on Monday night.

I came across this on Wikipedia, while reading the episode guide.

Season 3

On September 3, 2013, main star Jeff Daniels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Daniels) confirmed on Twitter that The Newsroom has been renewed by HBO for a third season.[23] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Newsroom_episodes#cite_note-23) HBO later clarified saying, "We are excited about proceeding to a Season 3 and are continuing our conversations with Aaron about schedules."[/URL]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Newsroom_episodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Newsroom_episodes#cite_note-24)

So perhaps what you guys watched was the "last" episode. Highly doubt it.

...I hope! :confused:

corporatejay
09-16-2013, 08:17 PM
No show has wasted more talent than the newsroom. What a terrible terrible television show.

Edit. I posted this just after the Sloan thing.

Now Maggie and Jim and Jeff Daniels and Mac....oh god, this show is effing terrible, like 2/10.

Edit. holy crap, then the big climax at the end in the newsroom and the announcement.....wow, simply terrible.

Hemi-Cuda
09-16-2013, 11:08 PM
With half the office pining for or banging the other half, the show portrays the only "honest" news organization in the US as the most unprofessional work environment possible. That finale was just so bad

The only hope I have for this show now is that with most of the characters now indeed banging instead of just pining and arguing, maybe the relationship crap will take a back seat. But more likely is that Jim will find some other woman to go after and Maggie will act like she doesn't care but secretly does until they have their penultimate moment and declare their love for each other and get married in the series finale

Christ what a waste of a good premise

VANFLAMESFAN
09-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Thought this was pretty funny. The haters will love it.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2a20b0b1b/a-message-to-aaron-sorkin

corporatejay
09-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Thought this was pretty funny. The haters will love it.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2a20b0b1b/a-message-to-aaron-sorkin

I'm not sure if you're using "haters" in a derogatory way but this show is utter crap and if it wasn't on HBO it wouldn't even register on people's radar.

It talks down to it's audience, it's characters seem completely unmotivated for all of their actions. The biggest story line of the year was basically pinned on a parachuted non-main character so they were easily scapegoated and the rest of the newsroom staff could get off without any fault.

And finally, Sorkin used the laziest plot device on the planet of the "evil mastermind" to explain the whole thing away. you see, it wasn't sloppy journalism, or a bad lead, no it was a plan devised by some 8th tier character to bring down ACN. Give me an effing break.

That scene between maggie and jim "when did you first notice me" literally made me want to puke.

19Yzerman19
09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Thought this was pretty funny. The haters will love it. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2a20b0b1b/a-message-to-aaron-sorkin
This is absolutely necessary and I couldn't be more glad they did it. This show is so frustrating at this point. I don't think any show, ever, has fit the phrase "wasted potential" more perfectly (unless I suppose you count those cancelled too early). The cast is outstanding, the central characters - Mack, Will, Charlie - are all fundamentally strong and relatable, and are certainly well played. This show could be so unbelievably good, and worse still it has many moments throughout that DEMONSTRATE how unbelievably good it could be. That Jane Fonda scene where she rejects the resignations is one of the best scenes I have ever seen on TV by any actor, I'm serious. It's got to be top 30.

And then you have this last episode, where they manage to shoehorn into one episode, nominally about the freaking PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, relationship storylines about Jim and Lisa, Jim and his new e-girlfriend, Jim and Maggie, Maggie and Lisa, Sloan and Don, and obviously Will and Mack. I'm fine with this relationship stuff. Josh and Donna from TWW? That was maybe the best love story I've ever seen on TV. Why? Because it took 7 years to develop. Even the shorter term stuff like Will and Kate Harper or Sam and Leo's daughter were good; they didn't feature themselves. If you're doing an episode and you feel you need to devote some screen time in that week to the development of a romantic relationship, PICK ONE RELATIONSHIP! Not five!

I will keep watching because it's Sorkin, and TWW is my favourite show of all time, period. Which makes this even more frustrating for me. I just don't understand how he's getting this so wrong when there's so much there to do right.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure if you're using "haters" in a derogatory way but this show is utter crap and if it wasn't on HBO it wouldn't even register on people's radar.

I didn't mean it in a deragatory way at all. There are people who hate the show and that's cool.

I find the show entertaining, and yeah, maybe if it weren't on HBO, I wouldn't have given it a look, but I did and got hooked and I have fun with the show. I don't take it too seriously. I don't watch the show for political bias or opinion and I certainly don't watch the show for newsroom activity accuracy. I know the show is over the top, I know it can get quite corny, but I don't mind it at all. It's goofy fun. I like watching the fast paced Sorkin dialogue despite the fact that no group of people on Earth talk like that.

I wouldn't put it in my top 5 shows nor do I think it's all that well done, but I'm not going to lie and say I'm not entertained by it.

I like it, lots of people don't and that's cool as well.

FFR
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Jeff Daniels won an Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama series for his portrayal of Will McAvoy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/the-newsroom-homeland-among-emmy-winners-1.1864072

Joborule
09-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Seriously, they gotta drop the cheesy romance and put more focus on solid drama. Clean that up and the show could work so much better.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Daniels performance is probably the best thing about the newsroom but he shouldn't have beaten out Cranston, Hamm or Spacey.

RedMileDJ
09-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Jeff Daniels won an Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama series for his portrayal of Will McAvoy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/the-newsroom-homeland-among-emmy-winners-1.1864072

Freakin' awesome.

Doodlebug
11-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Well maybe last seasons plot line on Genoa is not all that far fetched afterall....

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2013/11/26/60_minutes_lara_logan_ordered_to_take_leave.html

Da_Chief
11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Well maybe last seasons plot line on Genoa is not all that far fetched afterall....

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2013/11/26/60_minutes_lara_logan_ordered_to_take_leave.html

It was never far fetched, happened to CNN in 1998.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-news-vs-i-the-newsroom-i-was-there-a-real-genoa-report-yes-in-1998/278795/

Yamer
01-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Season 3 will be the last. Crappy, I really like the show.

At least they gave Sorkin the axe before he started production so he can end it properly.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-newsroom-2012/community/post/the-newsroom-renewed-season-3-the-newsroom-canceled-138964639321/

RedMileDJ
01-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Season 3 will be the last. Crappy, I really like the show.

At least they gave Sorkin the axe before he started production so he can end it properly.

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-newsroom-2012/community/post/the-newsroom-renewed-season-3-the-newsroom-canceled-138964639321/

Well that sucks.

Hemi-Cuda
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
This quote from the article pretty much sums it up

Improvement in the second season came too late, and now many people seem to be done with the show.

I wanted a good TV newsroom drama to watch, not the relationship crap we got instead

GGG
01-13-2014, 07:04 PM
With a season to go it could always make a strong run this year and get renewed late. They do such a good job with the news and making the argument that there aren't always two sides to an argument.

TurnedTheCorner
01-13-2014, 07:09 PM
3 seasons is fine. Looking forward to this season.

Violator
01-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Apparently there is only one more season of Boardwalk Empire to that sucks two of my favorite shows are going going gone.

Kavvy
10-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Last season trailer:

79JJOPHW_NQ

RedMileDJ
10-06-2014, 06:58 AM
The final season is only 6 episodes...

Russic
10-06-2014, 08:56 AM
The final season is only 6 episodes...

That's a shame. Great show. Better this than dragging it out far longer than it should, I suppose.

#-3
10-06-2014, 11:18 AM
That's gotta be the shortest run I can remember for a show this good.

What did they get a total of 30 episodes?
I wonder what made it so expensive to make? Maybe constant re-writes to stay as current as possible?

Senator Clay Davis
10-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Sorkin apparently is too busy to fully commit to it and another show runner apparently is not of interest to him. But I think ending now is good, unless they intend to cut out the useless melodramatic nonsense that dominated the first two seasons. Season 2 Finale was cringe worthy.

Daradon
10-06-2014, 06:27 PM
The show has great moments, but it's not a great show. They needed to pick a side, focus on the newsroom aspects, which most of us wanted, or go regular drama and focus on the relationships. They screwed it up by doing both.

I think a smart newsroom comedy would have succeeded on HBO, they have a few popular shows that buck the usual writing and plot tropes. But instead they put in too much relationship stuff to try and gain a wider audience and dumbed down (and ruined) the show.

rohara66
11-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Anyone else catch the season premiere last night? Awesome episode.

After a summer of Walking Dead it's nice to finally get a show with decent writing haha.

RedMileDJ
11-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Anyone else catch the season premiere last night? Awesome episode.

After a summer of Walking Dead it's nice to finally get a show with decent writing haha.

Yah, I caught it. Only 5 episodes left. :(

Agreed on the good writing. I think these last remaining episodes will be some of the best.

MarchHare
11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
I gave up after the first season because I wanted an intelligently-written show about the inner-workings of television journalism but was instead subjected to sophomoric wacky relationship hi-jinks. Did it ever get better? Is it worth watching past season 1?

Senator Clay Davis
11-10-2014, 10:25 AM
I gave up after the first season because I wanted an intelligently-written show about the inner-workings of television journalism but was instead subjected to sophomoric wacky relationship hi-jinks. Did it ever get better? Is it worth watching past season 1?

Good lord no, it gets even more annoying and grating in season 2, culminating with a finale that everyone pretty much face palmed the entire way through. Good episodes and moments sprinkled in, but I thought season 2 was worse in almost every way.

I'm waiting on the final season to be done and for their to be reviews and feedback that shows me it's improved as a show. But only being 6 episodes you would hope it'd be pretty tightly written.

Thor
11-11-2014, 05:35 AM
First episode was outstanding, its taken place during the Boston bombings, loved it.

RedMileDJ
11-17-2014, 11:16 AM
That was A LOT of FBI agents.

And yah...RUN Neal!

How in the hell are they going to wrap this up in 3 more episodes?

Let's see what has gone wrong:

Neal is on the run for possible espionage and treason.
Leona has to come up with 4 billion dollars.
Don and Sloan are possibly in trouble for insider trading.
Hallie tweets something very terrible about Republicans being happy about the Boston tragedy.

http://tvline.com/2014/11/16/the-newsroom-season-3-recap-neal-goes-on-run/

Fire
11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Their news network is incompetent, they should be sold off.

What was the deal about not reporting about the Boston Marathon bombing until they had the facts? It's not like they needed to lie, but not reporting about it at all in the beginning was silly.

Flash Walken
11-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Their news network is incompetent, they should be sold off.

What was the deal about not reporting about the Boston Marathon bombing until they had the facts? It's not like they needed to lie, but not reporting about it at all in the beginning was silly.

We're so peppered with shock info-tainment that we don't recognize Journalism when we see it.

Waiting for independent corroboration from some official source should be standard journalism.

"There has been some kind of incident, an explosion, maybe terrorism, maybe not, who knows." isn't journalism.

I thought the episode was really good for that fact. ACN is supposed to be behind in the ratings because they aren't sacrificing their standards.

All the other networks got there first, reported misinformation and/or fed a panic while ACN did what journalists are supposed to do and waited for concrete info to report before whipping up a frenzy.

CNN et al. are closer to twitter than they'd like to admit, and twitter is Gossip.

RedMileDJ
11-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Calgary got name dropped tonight. I thought that was cool.

Flash Walken
11-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Season 3 looks like it is the indictment of the media season.

Flames0910
11-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Lots of loose ends to wrap up next week. Really glad that they're going out with a bang.

RedMileDJ
11-30-2014, 11:31 PM
2 episodes left. Not sure how I lost count.

Arsenal14
12-02-2014, 08:33 AM
2 episodes left. Not sure how I lost count.

For some reason I thought we were down to one more as well. Just checked Wikipedia to confirm and had to laugh at the title of the last episode - "What Kind of Day Has It Been?". For those we don't know that's the title Sorkin used for the season one finale on Sports Night and The West Wing and it was the series finale episode for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

RedMileDJ
12-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Jeepers. 1 episode left.

I was ligitamently shocked that Charlie died. But now I think I know how they're going to wrap this all up.

They're all going to quit. Why? They don't like the new direction the station is going. Charlie was their moral compass.

Just a guess.

RedMileDJ
12-14-2014, 10:42 PM
And it's done.

I'm glad the final episode didn't leave any unanswered questions. But at the same time, I found the episode a little boring and rushed.

However, the door has been left wide open for it to be picked up again or continued.

The Goon
12-15-2014, 06:53 AM
It was a great show. Well-written, thought-provoking, entertaining. I'll miss it.

"His religion was decency, and he spent his life fighting its enemies." What a line. Would that we could all have that said at our funerals.

Hemi-Cuda
12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
It had the potential to be a great show, but Sorkin's insistence on making it a relationship soap opera ruined it. At least the finale was pretty good

calgaryred
12-19-2014, 05:21 AM
I enjoyed all three seasons, sad to see it end so soon, but the last episode was well done wasn't expecting a final episode like that, but it was done well.

Daradon
12-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Surprised there was as much love for the last half season here as there was. Not saying I didn't like it, (I did, though I don't think as much as some) but it certainly got hammered a lot all over the net.

In particular their handling of the 'rape debate' got them scores of negative press, and I can't say I really disagree with it. It was sloppy, did not give the story the attention it deserved, and seemed rather harsh and backwards at points. They shoulda just steered well away from that topic, but they took what they thought was a moral stance on it, and it ended up kinda immoral.

As for me, it was always the overuse of relationship drama that knocked down the show from the true potential it had, as many here have also posted. I'll take Will and MacKenzie fine, as it does kinda relate to the central plotline (or at least canon) of the story. But far too much about Jim and Maggie, and their side interests. Don and Sloan were ok and even a little interesting but that may be because, as I read somewhere, it wasn't slammed down our throat every week.

The whole series I got excited when they'd talk about the stories, or the nuances of running (trying to run?) a moral news broadcast. And let down when the actors started going on about their love lives.

It had a decent wrap up. But it was as expected given the first two seasons. Nothing more. And it probably saved some face leaving early, I think their sometimes condescending tone would have alienated a lot more viewers than it already did as the show went on.

fatso
02-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally finished the Newsroom earlier this week.

I'm with Daradon. I thought the last 3 episodes weren't very good. I thought the finale in particular was pretty weak... just too pollyanna for me, particularly with everything working out for everyone. I chuckled when one of the characters even remarked the same.

All in all I thought it was a pretty uneven show.

I'm not that familiar with Sorkin but I'm not as big a fan of his dialogue as most. Every single character is the same in the way they talk: quick-witted, hyper articulate, a touch condescending, and speaking at the same clip. It works for some characters - Will McAvoy and the Jane Fonda character for example. It doesn't work for all. It's also odd that almost every character seems to think they reside on some higher, insightful ground. Again, it works for some characters, but they can't all be like that.

I actually didn't mind the romance aspects. I think those are inevitable in workplace dramas. I think the reason it felt overloaded though was again because of the character similarities.

Casting was a bit off as well I thought. Some were unpredictably good - Emily Mortimer and Sam Waterston for example. Some were (un)predictably bad - Olivia Munn and Allison Pill for example.

Despite all this, it was worth a watch I thought. I like that they tried to do something different as a format and as a theme.

Russic
02-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I finally finished the Newsroom earlier this week.

I'm with Daradon. I thought the last 3 episodes weren't very good. I thought the finale in particular was pretty weak... just too pollyanna for me, particularly with everything working out for everyone. I chuckled when one of the characters even remarked the same.

All in all I thought it was a pretty uneven show.

I'm not that familiar with Sorkin but I'm not as big a fan of his dialogue as most. Every single character is the same in the way they talk: quick-witted, hyper articulate, a touch condescending, and speaking at the same clip. It works for some characters - Will McAvoy and the Jane Fonda character for example. It doesn't work for all. It's also odd that almost every character seems to think they reside on some higher, insightful ground. Again, it works for some characters, but they can't all be like that.

I actually didn't mind the romance aspects. I think those are inevitable in workplace dramas. I think the reason it felt overloaded though was again because of the character similarities.

Casting was a bit off as well I thought. Some were unpredictably good - Emily Mortimer and Sam Waterston for example. Some were (un)predictably bad - Olivia Munn and Allison Pill for example.

Despite all this, it was worth a watch I thought. I like that they tried to do something different as a format and as a theme.

http://media.giphy.com/media/akcjGuTUohuV2/giphy.gif

I felt Olivia Munn was one of the greatest surprises of the whole show. I thought her comedic timing was great.