PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Team

Resolute 14
08-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Missed a three pointer in the final 30 seconds to tie Lithuania, then spent 15 seconds trying to foul, but the Lithuanians were passing so fast they couldnt catch the ball, and lost 94-90 to fall to 2-2.

Looks good on em. :lol:

calf
08-21-2004, 01:16 PM
I only saw the last 3 minutes, but that was fun to watch - they were trying so hard, but could do nothing.

I didn't realize that Lithuania was so good. 4-0 isn't too shabby of a record.

JiriHrdina
08-21-2004, 01:25 PM
What does this loss mean for their medal hopes? Are they done?

Resolute 14
08-21-2004, 01:28 PM
If the Americans beat Angola on Monday, they will make the quarterfinals.

However, if they lose that game, I think they would be eliminated from the medal round.

calgaryred
08-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I kinda feel the states will still win gold, but by far this is the worst team put together in world basketball history. I say the US should go back to amateurs and keep the NBA players out. if college's best was out there honestly I think they would be undefeated. Just my opinion.

JiriHrdina
08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
The replay of the game is on NBA right now. Its amazing to watch. Lithunia is just giving the US any outside shot they want but taking away anything inside. Moreover, if the US actually made their free throws they would have likely won the game.

Displaced Flames fan
08-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Like I said in the thread a few weeks ago....US born players can't shoot. The players that can aren't good enough in other aspects of the game to be assets.

In the dream team years, the players could all shoot. The game has changed here...now it's about dunking and not a lot more.....a big reason why I hate the NBA with a passion.

Calgaryred...you're insane if you think they'll still win gold! They're done. No medal. However, you bring up a good point about the best college players doing much better. I agree with you.

Until the US gets back to teaching fundamentals, shooting and defense, we will not be a dominant team internationally.

Lithuania produced one of my favorite NBA players of all time...Sarunas Marciulionis

Deadly shooter.

JiriHrdina
08-21-2004, 05:52 PM
What I'm finding most amazing about watching this basketball is how much more I enjoy it than the NBA. And not just because the US is losing - its just a better quality game. The shooting is just unreal - and that for me is way more impressive than a 7 ft monster being able to power through the lane to dunk the ball.

I hope this is a wake up call to the NBA - as you said DFF - get back to fundamentals. Hell - change some of the defense rules to force shooting to become a factor again in the NBA.

I_H8_Crawford
08-21-2004, 10:57 PM
To be fair to the US, it's not like this is their best team possible to send over to the Olympics. If players like T-Mac, KG and Shaq had come... I think they'd still dominate. Just imagine a front court of 3-KG 4-Duncan 5-Shaq.

Teams can collapse the zone all they want, no way they'd stop those 3. Add into the fact that KG CAN shoot - it's nice to see the US finally losing, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that this US team is anywhere near the top of the US talent pool.

Resolute 14
08-21-2004, 11:17 PM
In 68 years of Olympic competition, the Americans had lost two games.

This year alone, they have lost two games.

Yeah, the Americans are missing guys like Kobe, McGrady, Shaq and Carter, but fact is, most of those other teams in the previous 68 years didnt have guys like that either.

The Americans are still the most talented team on the court by far. They just do not want to do what it takes to win.

Pagal4321
08-21-2004, 11:58 PM
This is just freaking hilrious to me, but being down in the States right now kind of makes me laugh a little less. No need to insult the Americans....But I'm watching NBC(such HIDEOUS coverage) and they are saying that the American men's team is shooting 16% from eyond the arc. And that's the lowest of ANY basketball team at the games, even women. HILARIOUS!

moon
08-22-2004, 03:29 AM
I watched the game and want this "dream team" to lose as much as the next guy but some of the calls were embarassing. The Lithuanians got so many calls in their favor that it was ridiculous. The Americans commited at least three or four fouls before the refs finally called one with one second on the shot clock and four seconds left in the game. I am not saying there was any conspiracy but the reffing was horrible.