PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Pages : [1] 2

MrMastodonFarm
04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Figured now would be a good time as any to start a thread about this, instead of it buried in another thread.

We've all seen the trailer that was released a month ago.
HHcHYisZFLU

The viral video, TEDtalk

hUxdAWrsag8

Now they've released a cool albeit, creepy viral video for the movie.

qgJs7uluwlU

Can't wait for this, Fassbender is one of the better actors out there lately

Bigtime
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for starting the thread. I'm looking forward to seeing this at some point during its release, will be neat to see another species from the Alien movies in the mix.

Grimbl420
04-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm so excited to see this, maybe even more than for The Dark Knight Rises.

SHOGUN
04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Just wanted to point out that people will be misled about this movie since a lot of people will think it's a prequel to Alien. I remember reading somewhere, I think it's on IMDB, that the story line has nothing to do with the Alien series... only similarity is obviously Riddley Scott as the director.

MrMastodonFarm
04-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Just wanted to point out that people will be misled about this movie since a lot of people will think it's a prequel to Alien. I remember reading somewhere, I think it's on IMDB, that the story line has nothing to do with the Alien series... only similarity is obviously Riddley Scott as the director.

It certainly has some connections to the Aliens movies, but isn't a direct sequel or anything.

Grimbl420
04-20-2012, 04:59 PM

It takes place in the same universe as Alien and precedes it, but they're not really directly connected. My understanding is that it deals with the Mala'kaks (Space Jokey) seen in Alien.

http://i.imgur.com/fgCFE.jpg

Yeah_Baby
04-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I am so frelling stoked for this movie.

octothorp
04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Yup, and the two teasers above are another big hint to the links between with the original Alien films, referencing Weyland, the corporation that was involved in the earlier ones (called Weyland-Yutani in those ones).

pylon
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
My understanding is it addresses the story of the Space Jockey seen at the beginning of the first Alien.

I haven't so eagerly anticipated a movie in probably 10 years.

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

MrMastodonFarm
04-20-2012, 06:25 PM
My understanding is it addresses the story of the Space Jockey seen at the beginning of the first Alien.

I haven't so eagerly anticipated a movie in probably 10 years.
I haven't watched the series in such a long time, but I'm pretty stoked for this movie.

The cast is strong as hell too, besides Fassbender, Naomi Repace (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Guy Pearce, Charlize Theoron, Ibris Elba.

Some huge potential blockbusters this summer. Between this, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises we could see some big movies, hoping all three live up to the hype, and a couple like Amazing Spiderman and Total Recall surprise.

Yeah_Baby
04-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I haven't watched the series in such a long time, but I'm pretty stoked for this movie.

The cast is strong as hell too, besides Fassbender, Naomi Repace (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Guy Pearce, Charlize Theoron, Ibris Elba.

Some huge potential blockbusters this summer. Between this, The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises we could see some big movies, hoping all three live up to the hype, and a couple like Amazing Spiderman and Total Recall surprise.

I think I'm almost hyped up for Prometheus than Avengers or DKR. Scott directing combined with the cast can't let me down! Right? Right?!!!

Avengers will be awesome I'm sure, but at it's heart, it's still a popcorn movie. A well done one I hope, but popcorn none the less. And as for Batman, no way it can top TDK.

Tinordi
04-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Am I the only guy that thinks the Avengers will be awful?

Cecil Terwilliger
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Yes. I've heard 2 early "reviews" and both said it was amazing. Both huge comic book nerds. (Joe Casey and Ralph Garman)

This movie will not be lame like Fantastic Four.

Edit: just in case people aren't aware Joe Casey is a comic book writer, and a pretty good one at that, he also co-created Ben Ten (I think that is what it is called) and is responsible for the current incarnation of the Spiderman cartoon that premiered on DisneyXD on April 1st. Ralph Garman is a radio personality in LA who is a hardcore comic book fan.

MrMastodonFarm
04-20-2012, 08:17 PM

I've got a pretty open mind about The Avengers, I was never a fan growing up and still am not a huge fan of the book or any of the individual character books, but I very much enjoyed both Iron Man and then Thor. I thought the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk was good too. The trailer for the Avengers looks really good, and I have Joss Wheadon can make this a 'splosion fun movie, but not forget good solid dialogue driven story telling. Unlike Spiderman, which I loved as a kid, I'm unbiased when it comes to the Avengers and I'm looking forward to it.

They got the casting for Captain America wrong, so that movie suffered and I hope The Avengers doesn't suffer because of it either.

This movie will not be lame like FAntastic Four.
One horrible common denominator though
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2005_Fantastic_Four/2005_fantastic_four_001.jpg

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Chris-Evans-as-Captain-America.jpg

nik-
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Yup, they've made changes several times and each time it moved further away from the original "prequel to Alien" idea. There's going to be a lot of disappointed people who didn't get the memo.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I've got a pretty open mind about The Avengers, I was never a fan growing up and still am not a huge fan of the book or any of the individual character books, but I very much enjoyed both Iron Man and then Thor. I thought the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk was good too. The trailer for the Avengers looks really good, and I have Joss Wheadon can make this a 'splosion fun movie, but not forget good solid dialogue driven story telling. Unlike Spiderman, which I loved as a kid, I'm unbiased when it comes to the Avengers and I'm looking forward to it.

They got the casting for Captain America wrong, so that movie suffered and I hope The Avengers doesn't suffer because of it either.

Speaking of Ed Norton as Hulk, Ralph Garman said he much preferred Mark Ruffalo, which I thought was interesting. Norton is a good actor and played the part well.

Dammit I just noticed we're getting off track in the Prometheus thread. We should be talking about this in the Comic book thread or a new Avengers thread.

bugsy
04-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't think Ridley has done sci fi since Blade Runner. Pretty decent shoes to fill there.

Yeah_Baby
04-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Don't think Ridley has done sci fi since Blade Runner. Pretty decent shoes to fill there.

He hasn't. Hence why I've heaped boatloads of expectation on this film. Scott is one of my favorite directors.

bugsy
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Am probably in the minority but I've got a fondness for his sci/fi and fantasy material (Alien, Blade Runner and yes even Legend), but am less enthralled with his contemporary and historical movies. Kingdom of Heaven had some promise til Orlando showed up. Which was reasonably often as it turns out.

Yeah_Baby
04-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Am probably in the minority but I've got a fondness for his sci/fi and fantasy material (Alien, Blade Runner and yes even Legend), but am less enthralled with his contemporary and historical movies. Kingdom of Heaven had some promise til Orlando showed up. Which was reasonably often as it turns out.

Which cut of Kingdom of Heaven are we talking? The directors cut is light years ahead of theatrical version.

And I loved me some Gladiator back in the day.

Haven't seen Robin Hood though. Word of Mouth killed that one for me

bugsy
04-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Which cut of Kingdom of Heaven are we talking? The directors cut is light years ahead of theatrical version.

Felt that Robin Hood really dragged. Colour by numbers stuff.

Re Kingdom of Heaven, have seen both. The directors cut fleshed some stuff out, but when you have a lead that you can't invest in, it's pretty tough.

Always liked Black Rain though, can watch that movie once or twice a year and its always fun.

nik-
04-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Robin Hood was a disappointment, never saw Kingdom of Heaven ... Gladiator was f'in awesome.

MrMastodonFarm
04-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Robin Hood was a pretty big let down, but before that Body of Lies and American Gangster are both well excellent movies.

I think Matchstick Men is a good movie too.

Re: Kingdom of Heaven... The directors cut was worlds better but the Orlando Bloom character was still bleh.. It's a shame the story revolved around him because their were dozens of great actors with great roles in that film.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Same goes for BladeRunner. Final Cut is the only worthy version of that movie.

Daradon
04-21-2012, 12:22 PM
While the actual 'Alien' species doesn't look like it will be in it, it does look like what can be called nothing less that a prequel (albeit a bit of a reboot as well). Seems to show how the jockey's ship gets stuck on the planet it's originally found on, the origins of the 'company' (which I don't believe was even called Weylund till the 3rd or 4th movie, prior to that it was just cryptically called 'The Company') the origins of the synthetic humans (which I always thought was even more creepy than the actual aliens and had great potential for storyline) and perhaps even the origin or story behind the 'alien' species itself.

As far as the movies go, this is a franchise that desperately needs a reboot. I think a lot of the back story an interesting parts get filled in with all the book fiction, and comic fiction, etc., but the last two movies really messed the series up, and even the first two had some holes to fill (as I don't believe they had plans for it to get as big as it did get, and they had to rush to fill in story). And off course there were the PG-13 masturbatory nightmares that were the AvP movies that further messed everything up.

Either way, it looks like a good story and I'll be heading out to see this movie for sure.

EDIT: Also love how they use the Alien siren from the 1st movie/trailer in the trailers for this one. Hearing that sends me right back to be a kid and watching that movie and gives me serious fun chills! Here's the two trailers side by side for those that forget.

sftuxbvGwiU

bEVY_lonKf4

Kybosh
04-21-2012, 01:05 PM
I think I need to re-watch Alien and Aliens because I don't even remember the part with this space jockey thing or any aspects of the company. I do remember the androids though. . . seeing one getting ripped in half scared the hell out of younger me.

pylon
04-21-2012, 02:07 PM
I think it is so cool, that a mysterious art inspired scene from a film that was only 1:30 seconds, and a $500,000 set, has inspired a Mega blockbuster, 100 million + sci-fi epic 33 years later.

There is some great back story to this with HR Giger (creepy f'n dude!) comments on the design and set of the original space jockey.

AJYBCTKonPY&feature=relmfu

Wormius
04-21-2012, 03:26 PM
What this movie needs to be a real blockbuster is some Lance Henriksen.

3 Justin 3
04-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Like many good old movies, I have never seen the Alien movies, only parts of them. What exactly is the "space jockey"?

pylon
04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Like many good old movies, I have never seen the Alien movies, only parts of them. What exactly is the "space jockey"?

Seriously, 2 of the best sci-fi mvoies of all time.

Alien.... defined the sci-fi horror genre. Jest one of those creepy, desolate, hopeless feels to it movies.

Aliens... in my opinion was Camerons first real kick at the big budget can after T1, which was a relatively low budget film, and he blasted it out of the park. It is my favorite action movie of all time, in any genre. Without spoiling anything, Henricksen has probably one of the most memorable scenes of all time in that movie, it is horrifying, and awesome all at the same time.

And to answer your question, the Space Jockey was some fossilized relic they found at the beginning of Alien, and a crashed alien ship that had sent out a warning signal to avoid the planet because of the Xenomorphs (aliens).

Daradon
04-21-2012, 04:54 PM
And to answer your question, the Space Jockey was some fossilized relic they found at the beginning of Alien, and a crashed alien ship that had sent out a warning signal to avoid the planet because of the Xenomorphs (aliens).

To add, he (the fossil) was a humanoid (though about twice the size) that had evidence foreshadowing the alien species gestating in the belly and bursting out.

Also he looked like he grew into or out of his seat (hence the designation 'space jockey' by those in the know and the fans, though never used in the movie). He was basically one of H.R. Giger's creations, very typical of his work. I don't think they ever planned to explain the nature of that species, and why they looked like they kinda existed as part of a (an organic?) machine, it was just Giger doing his awesome creepy artwork.

bugsy
04-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Sorta off topic, but thinking about the whole Mass Effect 3 ending and "re-take Mass Effect" reaction, it would be fun to see fans start a Kickstarter or similar project to erase Alien 3 from the canon and do a proper sequel to Aliens with Hicks and Newt intact. Lord that was a poor decision. (also i'm looking at you Star Wars episode 1).

having said that i'm not a supporter of mass appeal changes to original material or content, just that sometimes, stuff is too baffling or extreme to ignore

3 Justin 3
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Seriously, 2 of the best sci-fi mvoies of all time.

Alien.... defined the sci-fi horror genre. Jest one of those creepy, desolate, hopeless feels to it movies.

Aliens... in my opinion was Camerons first real kick at the big budget can after T1, which was a relatively low budget film, and he blasted it out of the park. It is my favorite action movie of all time, in any genre. Without spoiling anything, Henricksen has probably one of the most memorable scenes of all time in that movie, it is horrifying, and awesome all at the same time.

Like I said, I've seen most of both of them, but in parts and never in one sitting. Hopefully before the movie comes out I'll watch them both.

bugsy
04-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure what scenario involves watching Alien and Aliens where you watch it in 'parts', and not go back and watch the whole thing after the fact, given the 25 ish year gap where one could easily do such, but it must be a pretty interesting one.

MrMastodonFarm
04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure what scenario involves watching Alien and Aliens where you watch it in 'parts', and not go back and watch the whole thing after the fact, given the 25 ish year gap where one could easily do such, but it must be a pretty interesting one.

It's probably the fact that both movies have been on TV numerous times over the years and sometimes you see part of it, and never get around to see it.

I have only seen parts of Blade Runner...:bag:

bugsy
04-21-2012, 10:53 PM
It's probably the fact that both movies have been on TV numerous times over the years and sometimes you see part of it, and never get around to see it.

Fair enough. I guess i just had too much time on my hands, and just devoured those kinds of flicks to the point of being able to picture some of their moments in my minds eye.

With Aliens, i remember having a VHS copy that i taped of the extended cut, with all of the gun-sentry stuff added.

Wormius
04-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the extended cuts from Aliens was great, although it might not have added much to the theatrical experience to leanr about Newts family life before the xenomorphs infiltrated.

The two memorable moments I took away from that movie were the exosuit scenes, and Bill Paxton's line, "That's it man, game over man, game over!"

MrMastodonFarm
04-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Bill Paxton is awesome. He's been killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator.

Wormius
04-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Aliens also was responsible for about 90% of the nightmares that I had. The other 10% were all Friday the 13th related.

Hmm... where has Bill Paxton gone? Looking at his later works, I would never have imagined him in those good sci-fi movies. Not that I would consider Predator very good. It seemed pretty cheesy even for when it came out.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Aliens also was responsible for about 90% of the nightmares that I had. The other 10% were all Friday the 13th related.

Hmm... where has Bill Paxton gone? Looking at his later works, I would never have imagined him in those good sci-fi movies. Not that I would consider Predator very good. It seemed pretty cheesy even for when it came out.

First Predator was an awesome sci-fi action flick. My favorite Arnie flick not named Terminator 2. Paxton died in the sequel which was pretty bad.

Yasa
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Bill Paxton is awesome. He's been killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator.

Hey! We don't know for sure if he died in Aliens. He's still MIA. I like to believe he's alive.

Kybosh
04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey! We don't know for sure if he died in Aliens. He's still MIA. I like to believe he's alive.

I also sleep soundly believing that somewhere out there, Bill Paxton is contributing to the confusion between himself and Bill Pullman.

Erick Estrada
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM

You should check out the entire film as it's some of Scott's finest work. Definately a movie that was ahead of it's time. Anyone seen the extended cut?

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Do what Edward James Olmos suggested and watch the end of Battlestar Galactica and then watch Blade Runner right after. BSG ends in 2011. Blade Runner starts in 2017. He said Gaff could be a descendant.

It kind of fits together.

I normally never recommend modern cuts that go back and fix things (ala Lucas) but Ridley Scott's Final Cut from 2007 is actually the definitive version and they went back and made some important fixes that were very well done to make up for one scene (the doves flying into the sky) where the budget ran out in the original version.

There are many cuts of Blade Runner and they are all unique but I enjoy the 2007 Final Cut the most. After that, you can check out the original theatrical cut which is an entirely different beast as it features Harrison Ford doing a film-noir detective voiceover the entire film (some people claim he did a bad job on purpose) with an ending from unused clips from The Shining!

Yeah_Baby
04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
It's amazing how well Blade Runner holds up 30 years later.

J Diddy
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Fair enough. I guess i just had too much time on my hands, and just devoured those kinds of flicks to the point of being able to picture some of their moments in my minds eye.

With Aliens, i remember having a VHS copy that i taped of the extended cut, with all of the gun-sentry stuff added.

I need to find a copy of this. I always thought I dreamed this scene...only seeing it once and never being able to find it again. Everyone I mention it to has never seen it either.

Daradon
04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I need to find a copy of this. I always thought I dreamed this scene...only seeing it once and never being able to find it again. Everyone I mention it to has never seen it either.

Yeah I have the extended cut on DVD it has these scenes. Definitely adds to the film and the story.

pylon
04-23-2012, 08:08 PM

I never understood why they cut this scene, it was badass.

HQDy-5IQvuU

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 08:12 PM
That's awesome. I've never seen that scene before either. That scene's lasted the test of time too. Pretty high resolution graphics on the gun counters and good design. Compare to other science fiction movies at the time who's computer displays were still showing big blocky things that looked straight out of an Atari 2600.

pylon
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
When I see the clips from Aliens, it is no wonder I was such a huge Halo series fan. So many subtle and not so subtle nods to this film in that series.

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
When I see the clips from Aliens, it is no wonder I was such a huge Halo series fan. So many subtle and not so subtle nods to this film in that series.

It just shows how instrumental and influential those handful of movies from the late 70s to 80s are.

Whenever someone talks about their influences it's usually "Aliens, Blade Runner, Terminator".

Mass_nerder
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Just re-watched Alien tonight...hadn't seen it since I was 11-12.
Couldn't remember much of it, but I could have sworn there was more action.
Maybe I'm getting Alien and Aliens all mixed together.
Side note: the abandoned ship on the planet looked exactly like the ship in the Prometheus trailer, and it got me even more excited.

Daradon
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Also Starcraft. Some direct take offs in there.

MrMastodonFarm
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Glad I started this thread, Gotta rewatch Alien, Aliens and finally sit down and watch all of Blade Runner.

Daradon
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Just re-watched Alien tonight...hadn't seen it since I was 11-12.
Couldn't remember much of it, but I could have sworn there was more action.
Maybe I'm getting Alien and Aliens all mixed together.
Side note: the abandoned ship on the planet looked exactly like the ship in the Prometheus trailer, and it got me even more excited.

Yeah, Aliens is the one with all the action.

Alien = suspense sci-fi horror
Aliens = sci-fi action horror

pylon
04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
It just shows how instrumental and influential those handful of movies from the late 70s to 80s are.

Whenever someone talks about their influences it's usually "Aliens, Blade Runner, Terminator".

I think a huge part of it also, was it was the absolute peak, of real life special effects using models, miniatures etc. And when you watch the action scenes in movies like Aliens, Predator...etc, the action looks better than CGI does now. CGI still doesn't look natural, and therefore, I feel it isn't as memorable.

When you watch the Aliens move in Aliens especially, then look at how the Aliens move in the following films, it was just way creepier, and believable in the "man in a suit" films. I believe they hired a bunch of french acrobats to do the "man in a suit" scenes in Aliens. I am sure I read that somewhere.

edit: sort of..lol, don't know where I got the french part from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_%28film%29

The Alien suits were made more flexible and durable than the ones used in Alien, to expand on the creatures' movements and allow them to crawl and jump. Dancers, gymnasts and stunt men were hired to portray the Aliens. The creature's head was changed from the sleek shape used in Alien, as the crew thought that the original shape would crack with the creatures' increased mobility. Ridges were added along the head to increase its durability during movements.

Daradon
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I think a huge part of it also, was it was the absolute peak, of real life special effects using models, miniatures etc. And when you watch the action scenes in movies like Aliens, Predator...etc, the action looks better than CGI does now. CGI still doesn't look natural, and therefore, I feel it isn't as memorable.

When you watch the Aliens move in Aliens especially, then look at how the Aliens move in the following films, it was just way creepier, and believable in the "man in a suit" films. I believe they hired a bunch of french acrobats to do the "man in a suit" scenes in Aliens. I am sure I read that somewhere.

edit: sort of..lol, don't know where I got the french part from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_%28film%29

I agree, some of the old special effects look a lot more convincing than some of the CG done now. There's very few people who can do it right.

I think to do it right you gotta use all forms with the CG. Sets, costumes, props, puppets, and actors. Like the approach Peter Jackson took with Lord of the Rings.

If there ever was an example on how to do modern special effects properly, it was that trilogy. Unfortunately many directors think you can just throw in a bunch of CG in there and have the same effect.

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
The creature's head was changed from the sleek shape used in Alien, as the crew thought that the original shape would crack with the creatures' increased mobility. Ridges were added along the head to increase its durability during movements.

When people think of the Xenomorphs, they usually think of the version from Aliens. They forget the original totally creepy Giger Xenomorph from Alien which had a translucent head and a visible human skull inside which made you wonder exactly what it was. Later Aliens had much more alien skulls.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kydkajbhsp1qa1o5zo1_500.jpg

pylon
04-23-2012, 10:22 PM
^^^Apparently they avoided any full face or head on shots of the creature i the final cut, as they wanted to dehumanize it as much as possible.

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
^^^Apparently they avoided any full face or head on shots of the creature i the final cut, as they wanted to dehumanize it as much as possible.

I think it would have been incredibly creepy if the reason the aliens were gathering humans in those digestive sacs was that they were made from human beings but I guess that is going a bit too much into cliche/zombie movie territory.

Daradon
04-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Isn't there a close head shot when it does it's second mouth dealy? I know the best example of that was Alien 3, when the Alien decides not to harvet Ripley cause she is carrying the queen inside her, but wasn't there a similar scene in one of the first two?

Hack&Lube
04-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Back to what you were saying about CG.

For example, here's a cheesy Godzilla movie but it's all live-action with real models, etc. and I still think it looks a lot better and cooler than a lot of today's CG. At least it feels inspiring that those are real explosions happening and real things that people built are getting destroyed. Mecha Godzilla looks badass in everything it's doing, even when it's just standing still. The jet on the other hand is CG and is intrinsically boring nomatter what it does.

b6PNLpb5sL8

pylon
04-23-2012, 10:51 PM
AYHX8AMKrTA

Mass_nerder
04-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Isn't there a close head shot when it does it's second mouth dealy? I know the best example of that was Alien 3, when the Alien decides not to harvet Ripley cause she is carrying the queen inside her, but wasn't there a similar scene in one of the first two?

There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features. I just watched the '79 theatrical release last night, and didn't notice any humanoid features on the alien at all throughout the entire movie. I thought the picture hack& lube posted was from a subsequent movie, and not the original until I actually read his post.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features. I just watched the '79 theatrical release last night, and didn't notice any humanoid features on the alien at all throughout the entire movie. I thought the picture hack& lube posted was from a subsequent movie, and not the original until I actually read his post.

The still H&L posted isn't a screencap from the movie is it? I assumed it was a photo from some behind the scenes stuff.

I certainly don't remember any scenes in Alien when it is just sitting there all relaxed with its arms crossed just chilling out.

Hack&Lube
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
The still H&L posted isn't a screencap from the movie is it? I assumed it was a photo from some behind the scenes stuff.

I certainly don't remember any scenes in Alien when it is just sitting there all relaxed with its arms crossed just chilling out.

Yeah that was a behind the scenes shot of the actor taking a break and he took off the translucent cover from the costume's head so he could see and ventilate.

It's very hard to see in the actual film because of the speed the alien moves and the darkness of the film but you can almost catch glimpses of that human skull.

It's gone in the later movies but it was part of Giger's original design which I think was way creepier.
http://www.predatorstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/xeno2.jpg

Giger holding the actual costume parts:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4jkj82EWw1qa1o5zo1_500.jpg

One or more eyes on the side of it's head makes more sense though, for a creature that has significantly greater peripheral vision than human beings.

darockwilder
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM

If the aliens didn't get him, I would assume the thermonuclear explosion would've finished him off.

He did have the best lines though:

Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000299/): [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Hudson!
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): Why don't you put her in charge?

Put her in charge indeed...

cDnStealth
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I never understood why they cut this scene, it was badass.

HQDy-5IQvuU

Wait, I am positive I've seen this before. I think it's in the special edition of Aliens. I'll have to check it when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am not crazy.

Wormius
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I also sleep soundly believing that somewhere out there, Bill Paxton is contributing to the confusion between himself and Bill Pullman.

Ha. I was just thinking that the last sci-fi movie Bill Paxton did was "Independence Day"... low and behold it was Pullman.

Pullman!

He was good in "Frailty" though. The kind of psychopathic role model we can all aspire to be.

Coys1882
04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
He was good in "Frailty" though. The kind of psychopathic role model we can all aspire to be.
I had completely forgotten what a great film that was! What an underrated gem.

Wormius
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Wait, I am positive I've seen this before. I think it's in the special edition of Aliens. I'll have to check it when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am not crazy.

Wasn't that in the original release? The only thing I remember being different in the special edition was more of Newt's family life before the aliens took over.

There may have been some more stuff with Ripley after she was recovered from being in stasis.

worth
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I have the aliens box set and i'm pretty positive that scene is part of the special edition. I can check later.

http://www.amazon.ca/Alien-Quadrilogy-Aliens-Resurrection/dp/B0000VCZK2

Yasa
04-25-2012, 01:26 AM
If the aliens didn't get him, I would assume the thermonuclear explosion would've finished him off.

He did have the best lines though:

Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000299/): [pause] Seventeen days.
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): Seventeen *days?* Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen *hours!* Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Hudson!
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
[to Newt]
Ripley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/): Right?
[Newt apes a salute]
Hudson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/): Why don't you put her in charge?

Put her in charge indeed...

Sigh...I know...I just want him to live on in my heart. He was my favourite character, and has been my online gamer tag since I was 13.

Daradon
04-25-2012, 02:50 AM
There were two scenes in the Alien where they had the closeup of the mouth thing, but you couldn't notice any form of human-like features.

Yeah, that's what I thought, I was responding to the 'they purposely didn't do any close shots' comment. Cause I thought there were a couple in the first movie or two.

And yeah, they went slightly away from Giger's original design. Cameron went even further in Aliens. Then they changed it completely in Alien 3 by saying that the Alien takes on properties of it's host when it gestates. The aliens in that one ran primarily on four legs because the first one gestated in a dog. They were faster though and they could climb better. In fact I think it was the first one where they started scrambling on the walls and ceiling. Which became popular in the comics and games.

As far as the skull design, I think it's cool too, but not because it makes me think of absorbing it's victims. More because it could show that there is an ancient evolutionary heritage with humans or other similar biped humanoids.

The absorbing thing seems kinda silly for me unless it's some sort of jelly or we already know that the various members of the species look different from each other.

SportsJunky
04-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Here's a trailer from the UK that fills in a few more blanks.

1byZkbNB3Jw

J Diddy
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

Holy &^&^%&$&&^&^^!!!!!!!

Daradon
04-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Looks like they are doing this the right way.

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff. Looks like they will do homage while presenting a very good new storyline. Which in my prediction will be a full reboot. Needed because the science has changed, but mostly because there were holes and continuity errors right from the second film. Don't get me wrong, it was 3 and 4 that screwed the pooch the most, but there are problems right from the get go.

And for fun, who thinks that Ms. Meredith Vickers is a synthetic? Sure seems that way and we know that they like to surprise us with one. (3 of 4 films). Although, with all the knowledge out there, it could be the double fake out.

Can't wait for this film!

CofR
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff.

The one thing its missing is the tagline:

"In Space, no one can hear you scream"

Such a chilling and horrifying line.

mykalberta
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I have the aliens box set and i'm pretty positive that scene is part of the special edition. I can check later.

http://www.amazon.ca/Alien-Quadrilogy-Aliens-Resurrection/dp/B0000VCZK2

It is in the box set, D gun I believe stops firing at 3 rounds? So they know that way is clear. Thats when they decided to come through the roof if I remember correctly.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM

And (again) I love the original Alien themes in the trailer. The original siren, the title build. Good stuff. Looks like they will do homage while presenting a very good new storyline. Which in my prediction will be a full reboot. Needed because the science has changed, but mostly because there were holes and continuity errors right from the second film. Don't get me wrong, it was 3 and 4 that screwed the pooch the most, but there are problems right from the get go.

And for fun, who thinks that Ms. Meredith Vickers is a synthetic? Sure seems that way and we know that they like to surprise us with one. (3 of 4 films). Although, with all the knowledge out there, it could be the double fake out.

Can't wait for this film!

Michael Fassbender is already confirmed as a synthetic. That's not to say Vickers couldn't but 2 would seem weird.

Daradon
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Michael Fassbender is already confirmed as a synthetic. That's not to say Vickers couldn't but 2 would seem weird.

Yeah, but the audience knows he is. They always like to have one in for a twist that people don't know about. Maybe using the other one to make us think we already know who/where the synthetic is.

nik-
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Good news everyone!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Prometheus-Rated-R-Fox-Confirms-30795.html

Lt.Spears
05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Saw the Trailer, basically dont need to see the movie now that i know the whole story.

FlamingC4Life!
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Forget all the big-budget comic book movies and over-the-top action flicks, THIS is the film I want to see.

Oh and good news, head to Walmart and pick up selected Fox blu-rays for 10 bucks and you get a free movie ticket for Prometheus. Thank you, Fox.

Saw the Trailer, basically dont need to see the movie now that i know the whole story.

Life, for you, must royally suck.

Lt.Spears
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Forget all the big-budget comic book movies and over-the-top action flicks, THIS is the film I want to see.

Oh and good news, head to Walmart and pick up selected Fox blu-rays for 10 bucks and you get a free movie ticket for Prometheus. Thank you, Fox.

Life, for you, must royally suck.

You have to admit, that Trailer basically shows the entire movie. I REALLY hate when trailers do this. They basically let you know the entire plot before seeing the damn movie.

Yeah_Baby
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm sure Scott has a few goodies left for us in the film.

FlamingC4Life!
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
You have to admit, that Trailer basically shows the entire movie. I REALLY hate when trailers do this. They basically let you know the entire plot before seeing the damn movie.

I haven't seen the film, so no I can't admit that at all. Thus far the trailer has shown me that I need to get my butt in an actual motion picture theater seat. But I guess you won't be seeing The Dark Knight Rises either since the trailers basically tell you Bane goes hell-bent on destryoing Gotham and Cat Woman wants to help Bruce. Or The Amazing Spider-Man where the trailer shows you Spidey wants to know about mommy and daddy and Doctor Connors knows something but won't tell him, turns into the Croc and then Spidey saves New York (as always) while being pursued by the cops. What about The Avengers? Did you waste your time seeing that since the trailer showed 4 big-time super heros battling Loki and some flying things and then a big heroic Michael Bay pan around the group right before they deliver the final butt-kick? :bag:

blankall
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
^^^^^^

Have to agree. Word on the street is this movie shows the origins of the xenomorphs and possibly that of the human race. All I know from the trailer is that they land on an alien planet and some crazy #### goes down. There is a ton of room for plot development, twists, etc..there. If anything the more the trailers show, the more mysteries open up as to what the movie is actually about.

SportsJunky
05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/6970/original/pt1.jpg?1336743886
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/6971/original/pt2.jpg?1336743902

Coach
05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Charlize Theron is in a rare class of women that will just never not be hot, no matter what age they are. Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Anniston, Kate Beckinsale all fall into this category as, amongst others.

troutman
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
'Prometheus' writer hints at sequels
http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2012/05/17/19769416.html

In response to a question about a possible “Prometheus” franchise, Lindelof replied, “If you like it and want more, there is TOTALLY a design for this story to continue in cool and unexpected ways.”

Cecil Terwilliger
05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Fata?

DsJYuj48dw4

Hack&Lube
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
FORGET PROMETHEUS.

http://kotaku.com/5911320/new-blade-runner-movie-is-a-sequel-features-same-writer--director?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

BLADE RUNNER SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *seizure* (has to have Vangelis!)

Wormius
05-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Interesting factoid - I just learned tonight, while showing my son how cool the song "Fish heads" video is, that Bill Paxton directed and starred in the video. Ah, the things you learn on You Tube.

pylon
05-27-2012, 08:23 PM
5 days people. Can't wait!

MrMastodonFarm
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM
5 days people. Can't wait!

12 days, it opens on the 8th.

Yasa
05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
7th for me. I'll let you know how it is.

MrMastodonFarm
05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
7th for me. I'll let you know how it is.

I hope this movie doesn't suck, I have high expectations for it.

If Dark Knight returns sucks, that wouldn't surprise me, Nolan is a genius but sometimes one of the three trilogy movies usually suck.

But this, I want this to be so damn good.

pylon
05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
12 days, it opens on the 8th.

Damn it, it opens in UK on the 1st.

Well, at least we will be able to get a gauge on the buzz.

scotty2hotty
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Early reviews are in ...

Sounds like it's pretty good. Not great. But pretty good.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/prometheus_it_any_good_early_reviews/319912

blankall
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Early reviews are in ...

88% on rotten tomatoes so far with 2 bad reviews out of 17.

Sounds like it's not Shakespeare, but a great action/horror movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

Edit: Just watched Alien Director's Cut last night. That movie didn't have an amazing plot or dialogue either but worked well. Still very excited for Prometheus. Especially as everything after Aliens was upper crap.

Itse
06-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Just saw it.

2/5. Disappointment of the year.

It's just another sequel, just without the one thing that made the originals cool, so forget your excitement.

Visually nice but not great. One very cool and clever body horror scene. The female lead and Fassbinders robot tried to hold together something that didn't really earn it at any point.

Things start going downhill at about the fifteen minute mark. Nothing the characters does makes any real sense, everything is just "forced by plot". Bits of dialogue happen and then are contradicted without any explanation. "The backstory" doesn't even try to make sense.

Since the movie was so silly right from the start, I pretty much just sat back and turned my brain off, but it wasn't that entertaining. Watchable, but I really like scifi-horror. To give you a reference point, I thought Aliens vs. Predators was more interesting and entertaining.

First comments I hear when the credits start rolling:

"This effing sucked."
"This was really disappointing."

Go see something else. Rent it if you must.

MrMastodonFarm
06-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Still excited.

Itse
06-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Still excited.

Well, you can't say I didn't warn you ;)

I guess if you don't get except much, you could enjoy it.

There is that one really cool scene though. I'm sure you'll know which one I mean.

DownInFlames
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
http://thedoghousediaries.com/comics/uncategorized/2012-06-01-78db5ce.png

Itse
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
http://thedoghousediaries.com/comics/uncategorized/2012-06-01-78db5ce.png

The action is okay really generic and there isn't enough of it.

Tinordi
06-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with the criticism of the trailer in that it gives the whole movie away. I also think that out side of some good early films Ridley Scott makes very bad movies.

3 Justin 3
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I will see Prometheus next weekend, but if it does disappoint I wouldn't be surprised. Ridley Scott hasn't made a good quality movie in quite a long time.

Itse
06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I agree with the criticism of the trailer in that it gives the whole movie away. I also think that out side of some good early films Ridley Scott makes very bad movies.

I haven't seen anything after Black Hawk Down and Gladiator, which I both thought were very entertaining, if not exactly deep movies. And I've seen a part of Kingdom of Heaven which looked quite alright.

Which is really why I was so disappointed. I would not have minded all the dumb if the rest of the movie was more fun.

I do not put this on Scott though, I have a feeling he did okay with the script he had. There was really no story and the characters were all terribly thin. The actors did okay too IMO considering they too had nothing to work with.

MrMastodonFarm
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
I will see Prometheus next weekend, but if it does disappoint I wouldn't be surprised. Ridley Scott hasn't made a good quality movie in quite a long time.

Guh???

His take on Robin Hood wasn't good, the two before that, Body of Lies and American Gangster are both fantastic movies, I'd give both a solid 8/10 ratings and would highly recommend either.

metallicat
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
How big of a box office movie is this going to be? Should a guy pre-order tickets for Friday night?

CofR
06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
How big of a box office movie is this going to be? Should a guy pre-order tickets for Friday night?
I'm wondering the same thing...

icecube
06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm just gonna throw out a guess- 70 million opening weekend. That would put it in the top 5 opening weekends for an R rated movie.

I'd definitely be getting pre sale tickets if I were you.

blankall
06-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Some of the criticism so far seems a little bit ridiculous. I recently rewatched the original Alien film:

-it has just about no dialogue.
-the plot is just a series of action events. They explore the ship, bring back Alien, then run away from Alien, etc..

Prometheus was suppossed to be a throwback to the original Alien film. Alien was known for the atmostphere and strong visuals. If Prometheus accomplishes that, I'm happy. Not expecting good dialogue or script.

Itse
06-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Some of the criticism so far seems a little bit ridiculous. I recently rewatched the original Alien film:

-it has just about no dialogue.
-the plot is just a series of action events. They explore the ship, bring back Alien, then run away from Alien, etc..

Prometheus was suppossed to be a throwback to the original Alien film. Alien was known for the atmostphere and strong visuals. If Prometheus accomplishes that, I'm happy. Not expecting good dialogue or script.

Umm... :blink: I don't get it. To me your point sounds something like this:

"I just listened to the Ramones first album and all the songs are really simple and the lyrics don't make much sense. So if the next Blink 182 album rocks I'll be happy."

I fail to see the relevance.

As to which kind of a movie it is;

The first two movies (aka. "the good ones") are really simple survival films with very little plot. (They both do use symbolism very effectively though, which is a big reason for why they work so well.)

Where the next two films are most apparently different is in their open attempts to be more "deep" and have "meaningful dialogue".

I think it should be apparent from the trailer which group this film belongs to.

Erick Estrada
06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Early reviews are in ...

Small sample and really all positive for the most part. The only critic that really matters at the end of the day is yourself so I will reserve judgement for when I see it. I will be crushed though if its merely average and forgettable. I want so badly for the Alien universe to return to the brilliance of Alien and Aliens.

Erick Estrada
06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Just saw it.

2/5. Disappointment of the year.

It's just another sequel, just without the one thing that made the originals cool, so forget your excitement.

Visually nice but not great. One very cool and clever body horror scene. The female lead and Fassbinders robot tried to hold together something that didn't really earn it at any point.

Things start going downhill at about the fifteen minute mark. Nothing the characters does makes any real sense, everything is just "forced by plot". Bits of dialogue happen and then are contradicted without any explanation. "The backstory" doesn't even try to make sense.

Since the movie was so silly right from the start, I pretty much just sat back and turned my brain off, but it wasn't that entertaining. Watchable, but I really like scifi-horror. To give you a reference point, I thought Aliens vs. Predators was more interesting and entertaining.

First comments I hear when the credits start rolling:

"This effing sucked."
"This was really disappointing."

Go see something else. Rent it if you must.

Credibility shot down in flames.

cDnStealth
06-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Credibility shot down in flames.

I don't think he's saying that Aliens versus Predators was a good movie. Rather he's saying Prometheus is so bad that even AvP was more interesting. I hope he's wrong though. Aliens is one of my favorite films and I am still looking forward to seeing Prometheus.

Erick Estrada
06-06-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't think he's saying that Aliens versus Predators was a good movie. Rather he's saying Prometheus is so bad that even AvP was more interesting. I hope he's wrong though. Aliens is one of my favorite films and I am still looking forward to seeing Prometheus.

How could that be possible when the AVP films were preposterously bad? By all accounts so far in the reviews Prometheus is a good film maybe not a great film. What he's saying is that he's not a very good movie critic.

cDnStealth
06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
How could that be possible when the AVP films were preposterously bad? By all accounts so far in the reviews Prometheus is a good film maybe not a great film. What he's saying is that he's not a very good movie critic.

With Hollywood anything is possible. I haven't seen it yet so I can't really comment on how good the film is. I know I've really enjoyed films that critics have trashed and hated ones that they love. I learned to distrust movie critics long ago and judge films myself.

troutman
06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
88% on rotten tomatoes so far with 2 bad reviews out of 17.

Sounds like it's not Shakespeare, but a great action/horror movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

Edit: Just watched Alien Director's Cut last night. That movie didn't have an amazing plot or dialogue either but worked well. Still very excited for Prometheus. Especially as everything after Aliens was upper crap.

3/5 positive reviews from Top Critics:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/reviews/?type=top_critics

Itse
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM

What I'm saying is that is I thought Prometheus was a bad movie. Like AvP bad but less entertaining.

Different kind of bad though. I can take dumb action much better than just plain dumb.

Maybe you should see the movie before deciding how good or bad it is?

EDIT: Also, AvP 1 was not that bad. It was an okay action flick with a kind of a cool idea. AvP 2 was really bad.

Erick Estrada
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
What I'm saying is that is I thought Prometheus was a bad movie. Like AvP bad but less entertaining.

Different kind of bad though. I can take dumb action much better than just plain dumb.

Maybe you should see the movie before deciding how good or bad it is?

Of course I will see it and call a spade a spade as I always do. I just have a really hard time believing that this movie will be nearly as bad as AvP as I don't believe Scott is that incompetent of a director.

troutman
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Of course I will see it and call a spade a spade as I always do. I just have a really hard time believing that this movie will be nearly as bad as AvP as I don't believe Scott is that incompetent of a director.

Have you seen Legend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_%28film%29

Daradon
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
You didn't like Legend? :eek:

Itse
06-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I think Ridley Scott is actually a very good director. The film is still bad.

Erick Estrada
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Have you seen Legend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_%28film%29

Gosh that was a long time ago and I don't recall if I liked it or not but the bottom line is that Alien and Blade Runner are arguably the two greatest sci-fi films of all time so as far as I'm concerned, I'll be the ultimate judge of Prometheus.

blankall
06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Umm... :blink: I don't get it. To me your point sounds something like this:

"I just listened to the Ramones first album and all the songs are really simple and the lyrics don't make much sense. So if the next Blink 182 album rocks I'll be happy."

I fail to see the relevance.

This is all a bit silly since I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but...

Well my criticism was more like: Ramones put together reunion album. Original Ramones fans like it, but opera fans hate it.

My point was that critics that are criticizing the movie for lack of plot/dialogue clearly aren't fans of the original Alien movie, which features almost no dialogue or plot, and I'm going to ignore them.

That being said, the overall critique of Prometheus is sliding, as it seems more negative reviews are coming in. A lot of the more recent criticism is aimed at the movie trying to be too philisophical. That I'd consider more valid criticism.

Daradon
06-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I was so pumped for this movie. I hope I'm not disappointed. I really probably only go see one film a year in the theatres.

SuperMatt18
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Reading the top critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes does not give me much faith in it.

What I have seemed to pull from reading the reviews is "Not nearly as good as alien, the plot is lacking, the characters are not great, but the visual effects are the best we've seen since avatar so that is worth it."

Wormius
06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I will have to go back and read original reviews for Alien and Aliens. I don't think either were regarded as much more than just cool action flicks, though Alien being more on the horror side of the spectrum.

Itse
06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
My point was that critics that are criticizing the movie for lack of plot/dialogue clearly aren't fans of the original Alien movie, which features almost no dialogue or plot, and I'm going to ignore them.

From my experience I would actually claim the opposite. This is because Prometheus is not even remotely similar to Alien.

Take this one critic for example. It's pretty close to what I thought about it.

(Note: Includes some small spoilers.)
http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/03/movie-review-in-space-no-one-can-hear-prometheus-disappoint#disqus_thread

Here's the same guy commenting on Alien, for reference:
http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/04/our-daily-trailer-alien/

Daradon
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I will have to go back and read original reviews for Alien and Aliens. I don't think either were regarded as much more than just cool action flicks, though Alien being more on the horror side of the spectrum.

Alien was, Aliens wasn't. I guess what I mean was:

Alien - Sci-fi horror
Aliens - Sci-fi action

blankall
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM

From the wikipedia entry on Aliens:

The film had no official premier in the United States, yet moviegoers lined up for blocks to see it at Grauman's Egyptian Theatre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman%27s_Egyptian_Theatre) in Hollywood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood) where a number of models, sets, and props were displayed outside to promote it during its first run.[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-McIntee.2C_40-57)[65] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-nightmare_fulfilled-64) Religious zealots set fire to the model of the space jockey, believing it to be the work of the devil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil).[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-McIntee.2C_40-57) Alien did have a formal premiere in the United Kingdom at the Odeon Leicester Square (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_Leicester_Square) on September 6, 1979, but it did not open widely in Britain until January 13, 1980.[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-McIntee.2C_40-57)
Critical reaction to the film was initially mixed. Some critics who were not usually favorable towards science fiction, such as Barry Norman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Norman) of the BBC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC)'s Film series, were positive about the film's merits.[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-McIntee.2C_40-57) Others, however, were not: Reviews by Variety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_%28magazine%29), Sight and Sound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sight_and_Sound), Vincent Canby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Canby) and Leonard Maltin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Maltin) were mixed or negative.[73] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#cite_note-72) A review by Time Out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_%28company%29) said the film was an "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty"

Wormius
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I find myself agreeing with a lot of Roger Ebert's movie reviews - or more to the point, I generally enjoy the movies that he has given good reviews to. He seems to have given a fairly good one to Prometheus, so I think for me I will like it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120606/REVIEWS/120609989

Prometheus

BY ROGER EBERT / June 6, 2012
Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" is a magnificent science-fiction film, all the more intriguing because it raises questions about the origin of human life and doesn't have the answers. It's in the classic tradition of golden age sci-fi, echoing Scott's "Alien" (1979), but creating a world of its own. I'm a pushover for material like this; it's a seamless blend of story, special effects and pitch-perfect casting, filmed in sane, effective 3-D that doesn't distract.

Flame Of Liberty
06-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I think Ridley Scott is actually a very good director. The film is still bad.

From what I read, the movie studio screwed us all (again)

Scott wanted to make the film based on Jon Spaihts screenplay and wanted the film to be 18+ only. Of course studios watered the movie down, brought in Lindelof and the result is not what Scott originally planned.

Daradon
06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
^^^ if true, not surprising

Erick Estrada
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
I find myself agreeing with a lot of Roger Ebert's movie reviews - or more to the point, I generally enjoy the movies that he has given good reviews to. He seems to have given a fairly good one to Prometheus, so I think for me I will like it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120606/REVIEWS/120609989

How can this be? I heard from a random dude on the internet that it's a bad movie.:whistle:

troutman
06-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Ebert is the gold standard for me.

Here is his review of 2001, the true greatest SF movie ever, and maybe the best move period. It is also a movie about "the origin of human life and doesn't have the answers" and the nature of intelligence.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19970327/REVIEWS08/401010362/1023

Tinordi
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah if Ebert likes it them it's mostly likely good.

pylon
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Tomorrow, can't wait!

MrMastodonFarm
06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Tomorrow, can't wait!

Actually, 8 more days. You didn't hear?

It's been pushed back to the 15th.

CofR
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Have a ticket for tomorrow night... Can't wait!!!

Itse
06-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Ebert is the gold standard for me.

Here is his review of 2001, the true greatest SF movie ever, and maybe the best move period. It is also a movie about "the origin of human life and doesn't have the answers" and the nature of intelligence.

Kubrick is one of my favourite directors but IMO Blade Runner is the best sci-fi movie due to it's unsurpassed futuristic visions that are as deep but far more complex and nuanced, plus it's just a better piece of storytelling. (The Director's cut that is. The original film version is ruined by the overexplaining voiceover and the final ride into greener pastures.) 2001 is an excellent film but doesn't really touch my sci-fi geek nerves, since in the end I feel it's more about being beautiful, atmospheric and spiritual than intelligent and visionary.

(BTW as a big Kubrick fan I would say all three of Kubricks war-themed films are better than 2001. In order of preference those would be, Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket, and Dr. Strangelove.)

-TC-
06-08-2012, 07:49 AM

1byZkbNB3Jw

HOLY #### I NEED TO SEE THIS TODAY!!

seriously, Scott has been my fave director since '79 and the fact that he's done this and is doing a Bladerunner follow up fills me with joy

trackercowe
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I went to the midnight screening yesterday. I thought it was quite good, not on the level of Alien or Aliens, but still a solid 4/5 stars. The horror/action elements the first two had going for them couldn't really compare, but the science fiction portion of the movie worked for me. The logic was sound, yet still grounded in reality. The main lead had no chance following in Ripley's footsteps, but that was an impossible feat to ask to begin with.

Here's hoping it does well at the box office as this franchise demands more sequels, and they have plenty of opportunities to go in whatever direction they like.

Oh and I loved the Lawrence of Arabia references (my favorite movie ever); can't believe I never noticed how much Fassbender does look like him.

Bertuzzied
06-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Pretty good. and Charlize Theron is one hot mother!

haha. opening day and there were only 20 people at the imax at the Empire.

trackercowe
06-08-2012, 07:33 PM

Yeah, that's not a good thing. Is the movie does not meet box office expectations that will be a massive blow for sci-fi fans and those who demand more adult orientated movies. Comic book movies are great and all, but they really can't leave the same impressions that a truly great science fiction can leave on you.

I really hope this one finds a way to outperform expectations so we can get similar movies down the road.

Erick Estrada
06-08-2012, 08:35 PM

This is why studios push for the PG rating. I'm glad it's R rated so it's not watered down but it probably does exclude a decent portion of the teenage audience that would pay to see it.

d_phaneuf
06-08-2012, 09:23 PM
looks to be doing very well at the box office

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/prometheus-box-office-weekend-fox/

FRIDAY 4:30 PM UPDATE: Any worries about a Summer 2012 slump are officially gone. Because today’s numbers and this weekend’s forecasts just keep getting better and better. Twentieth Century Fox‘s Avatar-savvy marketing that kept Ridley Scott’s sci-fi thriller under wraps really motivated moviegoers. Rival studios now say Prometheus is looking to open with a huge $26M Friday and $68M weekend.

3 Justin 3
06-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Most people don't go at 11am. Bertuzzied your just a weird dude.

iggyformayor
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Unbelievable movie. Loved every minute of it. The IMAX at Chinook was packed.

3 Justin 3
06-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure what to think. I thought the imagery was fan-f***ing-tastic and Michael Fassbender as David was brilliant. Some of the score really irritated me (go to youtube, it's from the soundtrack, #4 "Life", I didn't think it fit at all with the rest of the movie. The script was kind of weak though with some big plot holes and the characters were quite stupid.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Edit: I'm glad I forgot a lot from the trailer because I re-watched the trailer just now and my god, it gives almost everything away in the trailer. So be warned, if you haven't seen the trailer yet and want to see the film don't watch the trailer.

Yeah_Baby
06-09-2012, 01:00 AM
I enjoyed it. But I have a giant man crush on Fassbender, and he fracking made the movie.

I found that I wanted the movie to be 'deeper' though.

3 Justin 3
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
I enjoyed it. But I have a giant man crush on Fassbender, and he fracking made the movie.

I found that I wanted the movie to be 'deeper' though.

My man crush on Michael Fassbender is larger than yours. I've watched Shame 18 times. I agree with your "deeper" comment too, from what I heard before the movie this movie was going to have a lot of questions by the end and I didn't feel that at all.

Yeah_Baby
06-09-2012, 01:14 AM
My man crush on Michael Fassbender is larger than yours. I've watched Shame 18 times. I agree with your "deeper" comment too, from what I heard before the movie this movie was going to have a lot of questions by the end and I didn't feel that at all.

You're right, I still haven't seen shame. You win.

Oh there were questions at the end, but frankly they weren't the ones I was expecting.

I didn't realize how much more I wanted a direct Alien tie in. We knew that the Space Jockeys/Engineers built the xenomorphs as weapons that went awry. So then was the real weapon the tar in canisters that evolved the worms into worm/facehugger hybrid, must like the 'Sperm' monster they took out of Shaw? So then what was with the giant chestbuster at the end?

Bertuzzied
06-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Most people don't go at 11am. Bertuzzied your just a weird dude.

Cool story bro.
Weird. i went to the 4pm show.

cDnStealth
06-09-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure what to think. I thought the imagery was fan-f***ing-tastic and Michael Fassbender as David was brilliant. Some of the score really irritated me (go to youtube, it's from the soundtrack, #4 "Life", I didn't think it fit at all with the rest of the movie. The script was kind of weak though with some big plot holes and the characters were quite stupid.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Edit: I'm glad I forgot a lot from the trailer because I re-watched the trailer just now and my god, it gives almost everything away in the trailer. So be warned, if you haven't seen the trailer yet and want to see the film don't watch the trailer.

This. A thousand times this. I had a really hard time getting into the movie because the characters kept doing ridiculous crap. With that said, Fassbender was awesome and visually the film was pretty amazing. It was definitely no Alien but it was decent. 6.5/10

Yasa
06-09-2012, 02:56 AM
I enjoyed it. Definitely entertaining but there were some pretty funny plotholes. Like the mentally unstable geologist. And how they found what they were looking for within minutes of entering the atmosphere. Earth-sized Planet? Oh look, there's a landing strip! Cool bro."

I hope there's a P2, and I hope it goes into the details of LV 426 as well as the eggs vs the vases.

CofR
06-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Forever Flames
06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know if it is necessary to watch the Alien movies to get the most of this movie? Or at the very least watch the first one? It's been so long I don't remember any of them.

Bertuzzied
06-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know if it is necessary to watch the Alien movies to get the most of this movie? Or at the very least watch the first one? It's been so long I don't remember any of them.

No, but you should rewatch Star Wars episode 1 beforehand.

It will make this movie even more enjoyable.

YYC in LAX
06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Thought it was very entertaining. My interpretation is that human brings (the many forms of them) created aliens indirectly and unintentionally. Great.

Question though: why did Wayward (sp) (Guy Pearce old man) want to sabotage the mission through David. Or was it Carlize Theron who was commanding David?

MrMastodonFarm
06-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Fassbender is an amazing actor.

Going to it tomorrow.

cDnStealth
06-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I enjoyed it. Definitely entertaining but there were some pretty funny plotholes. Like the mentally unstable geologist. And how they found what they were looking for within minutes of entering the atmosphere. Earth-sized Planet? Oh look, there's a landing strip! Cool bro."

I hope there's a P2, and I hope it goes into the details of LV 426 as well as the eggs vs the vases.

Even worse is The geologist who makes maps gets lost in the cave structure. And then the two guys who bail because they don't want to enter that room end up camping there? WTF?

Bertuzzied
06-09-2012, 09:53 AM
What was the point of the beginning with that potion?

Can we talk about whats in the movie yet?

MrMastodonFarm
06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
What was the point of the beginning with that potion?

Can we talk about whats in the movie yet?

Yup, enter thread at your own risk now.

Flame Of Liberty
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
What a waste, utter crap. No story (Ebert must be senile if he thinks this movie explores "origin of mankind" and "who created us" i mean lol they wake up their creator and he proceeds to beat the #### out of them for no reason other than they "hate humans") none of it made any sense, it was just a random sequence of CGI effects. In a classic Lindeloff Lost style one scene that seemed important at that time was made completely obsolete or forgotten few minutes later. I had to double check who directed this movie, i swear i was watching Uwe Boll movie.

trackercowe
06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
^ Well that question will likely be answered in the sequel, but it's likely that the Creators despised what they made (mankind), as we are ruining our Earth and creating life ourselves (such as David, the android). Then you have Guy Pearce asking for immortality which was guaranteed to make the situation even worse.

Heck mankind also seems to be responsible for the creation of xenomorph's which is just another reason why the creators would want to end our existence. They likely feel we our not only causing destruction of Earth, but also possibly the entire Universe. I imagine they are not too pleased with that.

Yeah_Baby
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I also wonder if potion guy at the beginning wasny supposed to seed Earth with DNA. Maybe we're just an accident. A mistake that needs correcting.

pylon
06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I also wonder if potion guy at the beginning wasny supposed to seed Earth with DNA. Maybe we're just an accident. A mistake that needs correcting.

Can you please put spoiler quotes around this stuff? Thanks.

Blaster86
06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Can you please put spoiler quotes around this stuff? Thanks.

Yup, enter thread at your own risk now.

Don't come to the thread if you don't want spoilers.

CofR
06-09-2012, 02:17 PM
That's what I got from it, at least that's what I'm assuming... But its still kind of a confusing scene to me.

3 Justin 3
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
What was the point in killing Charlie? Wayland ordered David to try harder, so he just kills him? How does that have anything to do with meeting one of those Engineers and getting answers to life's question? Maybe he figured the black stuff could give him immortality.

MrMastodonFarm
06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Don't come to the thread if you don't want spoilers.

Yup, the movie is out to the public, it's only normal people who have discussed it are talking about it now. Spoilers are fair game at this point.

Jason14h
06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
What was the point in killing Charlie? Wayland ordered David to try harder, so he just kills him? How does that have anything to do with meeting one of those Engineers and getting answers to life's question? Maybe he figured the black stuff could give him immortality.
Like most of the movie, because killing the main scientist makes no sense ;)

Bertuzzied
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
That c-section scene is prob the most exciting surgery scene to ever hit the theatres!

Yeah not sure why Niles Crane killed the scientist guy. puzzling.

Machiavelli
06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Didn't think the movie was that great. A lot of it didn't make sense to me. It would have been better with stronger protagonists.

bugsy
06-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Feel it should be judged as an Alien film. In a lot of ways, in terms of 'origins', it is the Alien film. Don't understand that continuing (on behalf of some sites/reviewers/producers themselves) need to try and distance it from what is absolutely is. It is a truckload of Alien dumped all over the screen.

rubecube
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Am I going to be the first one to point out that the alien burst out of space jockey's chest in the escape pod, but in Alien it showed him sitting in his chair with the chest ripped open?

trackercowe
06-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Am I going to be the first one to point out that the alien burst out of space jockey's chest in the escape pod, but in Alien it showed him sitting in his chair with the chest ripped open?

Maybe he crawls over there, or something drags him over to the chair. I am sure that ill be explained.

As for why David dosed the drink there could be many explanations for it,

Maybe he was jealous of Charlie's relationship with Shaw, as it appeared he was a tad obsessed with her at the beginning of the film.

Maybe the "try harder" order from Weyland forced him to do something. When the head yielded no results he had to try and do something, and seeing what the oil would do to Charlie did this.

Also just from the conversation David had with Charlie you could pick up many reasons why David would do such a thing. Charlie seemed to denigrate the fact that David was an android and would never be human; Charlie also said he would do anything to find out answers to many of the questions he had, and drinking the oil is "anything".

It even could have been simply an experiment to see what happened to Charlie if he drank the oil. David seemed to be a very inquisitive android, and moved to the beat of his own drum (opening doors at random, then taking the container of goo without the team's knowledge). This was just a further expansion of his nature.

Why not question some of the actions Ash takes in the first movie? Why did he let Kane back aboard the ship knowing that he had the facehugger attached to his face? Then even after the facehugger "removes" itself why does Ash let Kane go free without containing him or anything along those lines?

Perhaps people's expectations were too high going in. It's not Alien or Aliens level of quality, but it is still very good and I hope gets sequels down the road.

Yasa
06-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Alien starts on planet LV-426, Prometheus is LV-223. Space jockey and the ship in Alien are different than the ones in Prometheus.

rubecube
06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
nm

rubecube
06-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Alien starts on planet LV-426, Prometheus is LV-223. Space jockey and the ship in Alien are different than the ones in Prometheus.

Okay, that makes more sense than "they'll get to that in the sequel."

Yeah_Baby
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Okay, that makes more sense than "they'll get to that in the sequel."

I think Ridley Scott said though that any sequel would further digress from Alien. I just think the Space Jockey ship from Alien was another ship from the same factory.

Flame Of Liberty
06-09-2012, 10:19 PM
^ Well that question will likely be answered in the sequel, but it's likely that the Creators despised what they made (mankind), as we are ruining our Earth and creating life ourselves (such as David, the android). Then you have Guy Pearce asking for immortality which was guaranteed to make the situation even worse.

Heck mankind also seems to be responsible for the creation of xenomorph's which is just another reason why the creators would want to end our existence. They likely feel we our not only causing destruction of Earth, but also possibly the entire Universe. I imagine they are not too pleased with that.

?

The space jockey was in cryo-sleep for 2000 years how would he know anything as to how we are ruining our Earth? When the xenomorph was born (wtf was that? seriously? a squid born from two humans, one infected by the black goo has his way with the blue dong guy from the watchmen and a xenomorph is born?) he was already dead.

David and the two people she beat up in the surgery room knew Shaw is pregnant with the parasite, then they completely lost interest in her and the "baby" and no one in the old guy's room gave a crap that Shaw showed up all bloodied up and with a huge C section. They knew they had alien life form on the ship but that had to wait cuz the old dude who was hiding (god knows why) was about to meet his creator...?

And note to Charlize, when the giant space ship is rolling down the hill after you, don't try to outrun it. Run sideways. Silly blonde.

cDnStealth
06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
?

The space jockey was in cryo-sleep for 2000 years how would he know anything as to how we are ruining our Earth? When the xenomorph was born (wtf was that? seriously? a squid born from two humans, one infected by the black goo has his way with the blue dong guy from the watchmen and a xenomorph is born?) he was already dead.

David and the two people she beat up in the surgery room knew Shaw is pregnant with the parasite, then they completely lost interest in her and the "baby" and no one in the old guy's room gave a crap that Shaw showed up all bloodied up and with a huge C section. They knew they had alien life form on the ship but that had to wait cuz the old dude who was hiding (god knows why) was about to meet his creator...?

And note to Charlize, when the giant space ship is rolling down the hill after you, don't try to outrun it. Run sideways. Silly blonde.

Ya I love how they completely ignored that Shaw gave birth to a parasitic life form especially after they torched her boyfriend for being infected.

trackercowe
06-09-2012, 10:44 PM
?

The first part is true, that explanation in particular doesn't fit, but the creator did not seem too impressed that the first people that came to him were an android and someone seeking immortality (being guided by armed guards). Besides even if he was only in cryro for 2000 years, that is still well short of humanity's existence.

As for the second part, correct me if I am wrong, but did anyone aside from David even know about her pregnancy? Due to his nature, I could see why he didn't bring attention to it after the fact. Although, I do agree that part needed more explanation (like why she didn't warn the crew on her second trip out).

I agree that the whole nonchalant attitude of the crew was a bit off. It would have been far better served with the run time Scott originally wanted, but I still thought the movie was very good even if it could have been split in two parts.

However, like I said just go watch Alien or Aliens and you can find many character motivations or choices that are incredibly stupid. That is a trait that most sci-fi movies have, not just this one. You really can't have a great science fiction movie without a few clueless saps forcing the action.

Yasa
06-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I didnt get any subtitles when David spoke the language so I could have only assumed he either directly or indirectly said something wrong. I didn't understand/must have missed the part when David already knew how to activate the holographic images and open the door by touching the carvings though.

Weirdness
06-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Just saw the movie. Thought it was pretty good, glad I didn't see any trailers or read any articles about this movie. I really thought I was going to see another space movie directed by Ridley Scott, that was the only reason I needed to go see this.

Not sure why characters making dumb choices is a big deal. If everyone made the smart decision then nothing interesting would have happened, everyone would've just packed up and left. Boring!

Flame Of Liberty
06-10-2012, 03:35 AM
The first part is true, that explanation in particular doesn't fit, but the creator did not seem too impressed that the first people that came to him were an android and someone seeking immortality (being guided by armed guards). Besides even if he was only in cryro for 2000 years, that is still well short of humanity's existence.

Well if he saw the Earth 2000 year ago, all he saw was a bunch of half naked people throwing stones at each other. Not too impressive, i must admit but hardly enough to go on a killing rampage. I mean sure we can guess what was his motive but that's because the movie itself didn't even hint at what his motive might have been.

As for the second part, correct me if I am wrong, but did anyone aside from David even know about her pregnancy? Due to his nature, I could see why he didn't bring attention to it after the fact. Although, I do agree that part needed more explanation (like why she didn't warn the crew on her second trip out).

After David knocked her out with the sedative and put her on the bed, she woke up and shortly fought with at least two people (don't remember who but I think it was the other scientist chick that was fiddling with the reanimated head) before she ran out the surgery room. No one bothered to chase her and the whole scene was promptly forgotten (until the squid ate the engineer). I am no doctor but if I was on that ship and saw a woman with a fresh C-section that was not (visibly) pregnant the day before, I would probably ask a few question. But then again, I saw the previous Alien movies, unlike the ship crew :)

Yasa
06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Ok, here's one persons interpretation. It's long, but a good read.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Citing Ridley Scott, he explains the significance of the Engineers showing up 2000 years ago, and then being pissed off. Jesus was an Engineer.

Itse
06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Okay, now that we're officially into spoiler zone, here's a few random annoyances.

Major spoilers.

1) The crew is told they are about to go looking for the an alien intelligent lifeform. Nobody is even moderately excited. Not even when they find proof of an alien and advanced lifeform that has apparently created the human race, no-one really seems to care. Even the archeologists are mostly just disappointed because they are not getting _the_ answers they are looking for. BIGGEST SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY EVER PEOPLE, HELLO!?! How am I supposed to be awed by the idea if the movie itself doesn't really care?

1b) Nitpick: The scientists not even pretending to do any sciency stuff. The biologists doesn't care at all about the dead space jockey. The geologist is not interested in taking any samples. Everyone is just running around like idiots. If they're not even trying with the science stuff, why make them scientists in the first place? (Also, the scientists seem to have a really random skill set.)

2) Vickers tells the archeologists that she is there to make sure they don't contact the aliens and that she has the real power here. Next scene: They spot the alien construction and land right next to it Then everybody basicly just drives inside without anyone knowing anything about what's inside. What the hell? Didn't Vickers just tell them not to approach any aliens? Why isn't Vickers saying anything about this? Why isn't anybody? Apparently that first scene just never happened.

In the end the whole point of Vickers being there (as she explicitly explained it) is simply ignored. This is seriously among the worst continuity errors I have ever seen in any kind of a movie.

2b) Nitpick: "Possible destruction to underground structures due to a huge spaceship landing" anyone? Is that really the way you'd approach an unkown civilization or even remnants of it? That's the way these semi-pilgrims are going to meet their maker, literally? Oh please.

(Also, Vickers tells the captain to close the door when the storm rises. Doesn't. Never mentioned again. I guess she meant "don't close the door until they are inside". She's such a badass authority figure.)

2c) Nitpick: I don't mind that they found the alien structure right away. Could've been fixed with one line of referring to some kind of a search but what ever. What annoys me is that once they find that one structure, they forget that there's the whole rest of the moon out there. Which wouldn't be as annoying if the rest of the moon didn't exist for the purpose of the movie. But in the end it does exist because apparently there are other ships. Btw, why is that? What happened to those? The same thing that on this one? At the same time?

3) Map-making geologist getting lost despite having said map and having perfect communications with the mainship already discussed. But how about the biologist? When told there is a possible alien lifeform a kilometer away to the west, he says it's best to go further away. Okay, he's scared and cautious, fair enough. In his next scene he wants to pet unkown alien snake things? W. T. F.

3b) These are the best guys they could find for a trillion dollar space expedition? Oh please.

3c) Nitpick: Apparently the big landrover drove itself from the alien site to Prometheus before the storm.

...well, this is about the point where I stopped thinking this movie had a plot. It's about 30 minutes in.

But here's a couple others that stand out. I'm pretty sure this is not comprehensive. I mean I tried to follow the movie, not play "spot the dumb". The dumb just kind of kept leaping at me from the screen.

4) Fight scene with the dead geologist. Bo-ring. Storm scene, bo-ring. (Also, the suits seem to hold up just fine.) Space snake scene, stupid but kind of cool. Giant facehugger, stupid and bo-ring. Vickers and Shaw both not knowing how to turn while running, incredibly stupid and boring except for the laughs. The only solid horror-entertainment scene was the abortion scene.

4a) Nitpick: Once again the big landrover just disappeared after the dead-geologist fight. Only this time it had half the crew inside. What happened to them? (BTW, why the hell did it do the spider-walk? Made no sense and looked dumb.)

4b) Cool abortion scene, kudos. But where did everyone go? Why wasn't anyone following Shaw? Did she punch them all unconscious or something? Why wasn't anyone interested interested in what the thing was inside Shaw? Why doesn't anyone ask her what happened? Why would David initiate an experiment and not follow up on it? It's not like an android would forget.

5) What sense does it make for the engineers to invite humans over to that specific planet? Whether or not it's a bioweapons center or an isolated genetics lab, seems like there's a whole lot that could go wrong with this.

6) Nitpick: Either the surviving engineer took all of five seconds to decide to wipe out all of human race, or he took a 2000 year nap before getting on with the plan that he had already decided on. I guess you could come up with an explanation, but it just seemed dumb while watching it and the movie sure didn't seem like it had any answers.

6a) Nitpick: The engineers have übercool starmaps with holograms you can touch, but their recording technology is black and white, grainy and doesn't have sound? Seems kind of off.

6b) Whine: The engineers were way cooler when they weren't oversized humans with elephant helmets.

7) Nitpick, but unforgivable: They couldn't afford a proper makeup artist for old Weyland?

8) Holy overexposition on the proto-Alien birth scene. Rule #1 of monsters: don't show too much! Also, could they please at least have tried to make the alien look scary?

Note that after all this I'm still giving it 2 out of 5.

cDnStealth
06-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Just saw the movie. Thought it was pretty good, glad I didn't see any trailers or read any articles about this movie. I really thought I was going to see another space movie directed by Ridley Scott, that was the only reason I needed to go see this.

Not sure why characters making dumb choices is a big deal. If everyone made the smart decision then nothing interesting would have happened, everyone would've just packed up and left. Boring!

I understand that characters have to make a bad choice in order for #### to hit the fan. In Alien they made the dumb move of opening the door. The reason I found it so distracting in Prometheus is the sheer number of stupid decisions and ones that just don't make any sense.

You look at the geologist and his buddy. They freak out at the sight of the headless engineer. They are so terrified that they have to leave. Forget about how they get lost. They end up trapped inside this structure and decide they'll spend the night in the one place they were afraid to even go near? Come on. That's bull####. There is absolutely no reason for them to want/have to go back to that room. They could have just made their way towards the entrance and waited for the storm to clear.

trackercowe
06-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Uh, it makes a great deal of sense to stay in that room considering they know they can be found in the morning by staying there. Also they already know what exactly is in there, which differs from what else could be residing elsewhere if they decided to take shelter elsewhere (like a pile of alien corpses with their chests blown out). And if they stay near the entrance where they came in the sand storm could be an issue for them.

Tinordi
06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Laugh @normative on twitter is just laying into this movie.

"hard to believe to a large group of adults read this script and then decided to spend $100m to make it"

trackercowe
06-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Wow I am shocked Tinordi didn't like Prometheus, he probably hates his own mother, but this one truly is surprising.

kn
06-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Ok, here's one persons interpretation. It's long, but a good read.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Thank you for the link. Exceptional interpretation and worth the read.

kn
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
From the comments section of the review posted by Yasa:

The planet is LV223...Leviticus 22:3

"Say to them: 'For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings that the Israelites consecrate to the LORD, that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the LORD.

Wormius
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Like what was said before, nearly all sci-to movies aren't believable. Look at Terminator 2, the T1000 should have killed Sarah and John Connor within 1 second of locating them. Gees, turn into longer sword and stab them, or crash the helicopter into them.

kn
06-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Prometheus's Fire, Alien Gods and Pandora’s box of tricks
http://throughancienteyes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/prometheus-movie.html

"In the recent movie Prometheus directed and produced by the 'father of film' Ridley Scott we find many connections to literature and common themes that talk of 'creator gods' descending to Earth in the ancient world. There are also many other connections to symbolism that far extend beyond a typical ‘prequel’ and carries much validity to some of the themes relating to 'reality', not just 'science fiction'."

VANFLAMESFAN
06-11-2012, 01:06 AM
My very stripped down and simplistic review in comparison to most in this thread. Some of you guys are hardcore.

Enjoyed the movie. I thought is visually stunning. Absolutely stunning. I hate 3D, but I loved it here. It didn't look cheap, and it actually added to the experience of the movie.

Story was solid, but could have been a little deeper. Something just seemed a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.

Performaces were good, Fassbender stole the show, but Rapace and Theron more than held their own in their scenes.

Just enough suspense to keep the thrills memorable. 7/10.

Erick Estrada
06-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Like what was said before, nearly all sci-to movies aren't believable. Look at Terminator 2, the T1000 should have killed Sarah and John Connor within 1 second of locating them. Gees, turn into longer sword and stab them, or crash the helicopter into them.

Or any action movie when the hero get's caught and the main villain has his guys tie him up only to beat him and then leave him with the chronies telling them to "kill him" while he walks out the door only to have hero get out of the predicament and come back to stop the main villain. In real life when the catch the hero they immediately put a bullet in his head and don't leave anything to chance but of course that doesn't make for good movie suspense.

J pold
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
What a dreadful film.

Other then Fassbender (quickly becoming one of my favorite actors), and some aesthetic there is nothing redeeming about Prometheus at all. The worst part was the plot, or at least their attempt to have one. About half of the movie was totally unexplained and made little to no sense at all. The highlight was probably the whole pregnancy/alien with the female lead. She is running around post a ridiculous surgery after having an alien inside her and no one seems to care? One minute there is a team with hazmat suits trying to sterilize her and the next she is running around with a c-section and no one seems to mind.

Maybe I just missed this one but when did they reach all these sweeping conclusions that those superhuman guys wanted to go and destroy earth? Or that they were the creators? Or that the planet they were on was a military base type thing? Maybe I just missed that. And what the hell was with the guy in the beginning? I’m not sure what the point of that was. This is probably one of the biggest head scratching movies (and not in a good way) I’ve ever seen. I’d recommend that you wait for this to go DVD before you see it, but even then it’s not worth your time.

Also the fact that this movie is sitting above a 20%, let alone in the 70’s, on Rotten Tomatoes is truly pathetic. Any faith I once had in that site is almost all gone.

Igottago
06-11-2012, 09:02 AM
What a dreadful film.

Other then Fassbender (quickly becoming one of my favorite actors), and some aesthetic there is nothing redeeming about Prometheus at all. The worst part was the plot, or at least their attempt to have one. About half of the movie was totally unexplained and made little to no sense at all. The highlight was probably the whole pregnancy/alien with the female lead. She is running around post a ridiculous surgery after having an alien inside her and no one seems to care? One minute there is a team with hazmat suits trying to sterilize her and the next she is running around with a c-section and no one seems to mind.

Maybe I just missed this one but when did they reach all these sweeping conclusions that those superhuman guys wanted to go and destroy earth? Or that they were the creators? Or that the planet they were on was a military base type thing? Maybe I just missed that. And what the hell was with the guy in the beginning? I’m not sure what the point of that was. This is probably one of the biggest head scratching movies (and not in a good way) I’ve ever seen. I’d recommend that you wait for this to go DVD before you see it, but even then it’s not worth your time.

Also the fact that this movie is sitting above a 20%, let alone in the 70’s, on Rotten Tomatoes is truly pathetic. Any faith I once had in that site is almost all gone.

Yeah that part was terrible. I was thinking the same thing, why have they suddenly just stop persuing her -- did she knock them out?

The movie was full of plot holes. I think a lot of people want to like this movie because of its link to Alien, but outside of the visuals the movie was mediocre at best. Definitly not the truly great classic sci-fi flick that people were hoping for.

For all the accolades given to Ridley Scott I've always thought most of his movies were fairly mediocre, even Gladiator.

cDnStealth
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah that part was terrible. I was thinking the same thing, why have they suddenly just stop persuing her -- did she knock them out?

The movie was full of plot holes. I think a lot of people want to like this movie because of its link to Alien, but outside of the visuals the movie was mediocre at best. Definitly not the truly great classic sci-fi flick that people were hoping for.

For all the accolades given to Ridley Scott I've always thought most of his movies were fairly mediocre, even Gladiator.

My buddy said the pacing in the movie was off and I've been thinking about that for days. I think the problem is that for half the film Prometheus tries to be Alien and for the other half tries to be something totally different. It's as though they didn't know what they wanted Prometheus to be and it shows.

3 Justin 3
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I've been watching/listening to some reviews and as someone who enjoyed it I simply don't understand how people think this is a really good film. I usually trust Richard Roeper for reviews (among others) and he gave it a A+ calling it one of the best of the year and seemed to love everything about it.

I enjoyed the film, but there were SO many problems with the plot that it is ridiculous.

Damon Lindelof is a hack writer and I hope if they make a sequel he has nothing to do with it. Being ambiguous is one thing, being vague and having to sense of continuity is another.

CaptainCrunch
06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Or any action movie when the hero get's caught and the main villain has his guys tie him up only to beat him and then leave him with the chronies telling them to "kill him" while he walks out the door only to have hero get out of the predicament and come back to stop the main villain. In real life when the catch the hero they immediately put a bullet in his head and don't leave anything to chance but of course that doesn't make for good movie suspense.

But if movie scripts were realistic, all movies would be 10 minutes long, the villian would win and the fat ugly guys would date fat ugly girls unless they had a ton of money.

Oh and most of the hero's would end up in prison for killing the villian without following proper rules of evidence gathering and executing them without due process.

Ashasx
06-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Wait, I'm confused about the movie... So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

Itse
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
But if movie scripts were realistic, all movies would be 10 minutes long, the villian would win and the fat ugly guys would date fat ugly girls unless they had a ton of money.

Oh and most of the hero's would end up in prison for killing the villian without following proper rules of evidence gathering and executing them without due process.

BS. Realism is only a problem for hacks.

Real life is full of suspense, drama, humour and even horror. Good directors can make documentaries highly entertaining or fascinating, emotionally gripping and intellectually stimulating.

For a good fiction writer, realism is not a hindrance to drama but something that adds to the drama.

There is also the very important concept of "suspension of disbelief". You can shape the rules of reality as long as you get the audience to buy into it. You have to know how much you can do and how you can sell it to the audience, and most of the time you need to stick with the rules of the new reality you have established.

Once you get people to buy into your reality, you are also forgiven a lot of minor nitpicks and even some bigger issues, as long as the whole of the story is good.

Tinordi
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Exactly. As a writer you can create the bounds and laws of your world to any degree. The key is that once they are established, (through good storytelling) you have to stick within them to create dramatic tension.

A great example of this NOT happening is Attack of the Clones where nothing makes any realistic sense, as a result the viewer just gets the impression that anything is possible so long as the writer makes it up. That means there is no dramatic tension because there's always some way to "reverse the polarity" of whatever gizmo to save them.

Plinkett's review of the Attack of the Clones below shows how you can easily make a sci-fi movie unrealistic even with Jedis and Bounty Hunters:

ux8pCqiiBLA&feature=relmfu

CofR
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Grantland has a great (albeit long) e-mail dialogue that discusses the entire Alien franchise:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8040967/from-ridley-scott-original-prometheus-not-brief-conversation-alien-franchise

flamesfan6
06-13-2012, 01:33 AM

You know that that's not rotten tomatoes critics right? Rotten tomatoes just aggregates the reviews from many sources and calculates the rating off that, so don't lose faith in rotten tomatoes, lose faith in critics.

also, I thought it was a good movie, enjoyable to watch, but yes it had some plot holes that made it not an excellent movie.

Hemi-Cuda
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-LZg3Rz5/0/L/i-LZg3Rz5-XL.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
You know that that's not rotten tomatoes critics right? Rotten tomatoes just aggregates the reviews from many sources and calculates the rating off that, so don't lose faith in rotten tomatoes, lose faith in critics.

I don't even know why J Pold reads reviews he doesn't like movies, any of them.

Finally saw it this evening, and really enjoyed it. It was one of the more beautiful movies I have seen to be honest, the opening scene is utterly breath taking. Fassbender continues to be one of the best actors currently working and Ibra Elba (?) was a scene stealer as well.

The film needed a constant antagonist though, so many weird creepy things you couldn't keep a handle on it though. Enjoyed it a lot though, a solid 7/10

MrMastodonFarm
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Laugh @normative on twitter is just laying into this movie.

"hard to believe to a large group of adults read this script and then decided to spend $100m to make it"

I think even peter12 reads your posts and thinks "My, what a pretentious twat".

Hemi-Cuda
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I think even peter12 reads your posts and thinks "My, what a pretentious twat".

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2wvjwiDH51r8uf0mo3_250.gif

Erick Estrada
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't even know why J Pold reads reviews he doesn't like movies, any of them.

Finally saw it this evening, and really enjoyed it. It was one of the more beautiful movies I have seen to be honest, the opening scene is utterly breath taking. Fassbender continues to be one of the best actors currently working and Ibra Elba (?) was a scene stealer as well.

The film needed a constant antagonist though, so many weird creepy things you couldn't keep a handle on it though. Enjoyed it a lot though, a solid 7/10

Going tonight to watch it in IMAX 3D. I'm not expecting perfection but I am expecting an enjoyable experience.

Erick Estrada
06-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Solid, entertaining movie. It's not an Alien movie so I can see some fanboys disappointed but it does give some clarity to the origins. I haven't read up on the banter because I didn't want to see any spoilers but I assume the xenomorphs as we know from the following movies was essentially conceived from Elizabeth and Charlie as she gives birth the to first facehugger. Outside of Weaver the AI's have been the best characters int the series and Fassbender does them justice the way he portrays his awkward AI character to near perfection. In typical Scott fashion it appears his vision was larger than what the studio wanted for a running time so there's probably an extended cut in the future as there seems to be more to the story than was presented in the two hours.

On the IMAX screen in 3D it was definitely one of the more stunning theatrical experiences I've seen. This is one movie that definitely benefits from the IMAX experience.

I give it a solid 8/10. It's not perfection but much better than your average summer popcorn flick.

troutman
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I just saw it for the first time, and I think it was a very good movie. 8/10 for me.

What some are calling "plot holes" are perhaps mysteries that can be answered by seeing the movie again, and in a sequel. There were certainly things that did not make logical sense.

There were some major call-backs to 2001 - especially the Robot named "David".

I'm going to think about it some more, and pose some questions later.

trackercowe
06-18-2012, 02:04 AM
^ David was also the name of the android in A.I. Artificial Intelligence. I wonder if the inspiration comes from 2001, or somewhere else to begin with.

troutman
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
[under construction - my thoughts after discussing movie with Aeneas]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

Prometheus (Greek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language): Προμηθεύς) is a Titan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28mythology%29), culture hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_hero), and trickster figure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster_figure) who in Greek mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology) is credited with the creation of man from clay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_man_from_clay) and the theft of fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_fire) for human use, an act that enabled progress and civilization. He is known for his intelligence, and as a champion of mankind.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus#cite_note-0)

In the Western (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_civilization) classical tradition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_tradition), Prometheus became a figure who represented human striving, particularly the quest for scientific knowledge, and the risk of overreaching or unintended consequences.

Clearly, the name of the vessel is significant, and provides clues to the themes in the movies (creation, intelligence, science, overreaching).

I think "David" has many things in common with HAL 900 in 2001 (did you know HAL are the letters before IBM in the alphabet?). Like HAL, David raises questions about what it means to be intelligent. Can a computer/robot have a soul? I don't think HAL is a true villian, and neither is David, They are both bound to the prime directive of the mission - in David's case that is seeking a path to immortality for Peter Weyland (David is immortal, unlike his creators). It is odd that he calls Vickers "mom". Peter Weyland looks very much like the elderly David Bowman in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

Chariots Of The Gods is a ridiculous book from 1968 that theorized ancient human cultures were visited and influenced by alien astronauts. Shaw and Holloway theorize cultures around the world were visited by aliens, and that a common calling-card (Invitation) was left at many sites. It seems visitations happened from 35,000 years ago (Scotland) to as recent as 1000 years ago (Mayans). I thought I heard them say the destination was in another galaxy, but that does not make sense - how could they identify the right solar system from that distance (or travel there in 2 years)? I would think that the discoveries of Shaw and Holloway would be a huge international event, so it is odd to me that the mission would be under-taken by a private enterprise (with a secret agenda). We have seen calling-cards/invitations before in 2001 (Monoliths) and Contact (the radio signals).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_gods

I think it is relevant that Prometheus (the vessel) reaches the planet on Christmas Day. Shaw and David depart on New Years Day.

Raise your hands if you were hoping Shaw and Vickers were going to live in the life boat for 2 years, in Sapphic paradise.

When David examined the goo between his fingers, it certainly looked like the dripping maw of the Alien monsters to come in the original movies.

Burninator
06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I really hope there is a directors cut for this movie. I was very disappointed by it. Plot holes are one thing, but there was so many illogical things in this movie that I couldn't get my head around how it made it onto the screen in it's current form. There was almost no character development either.

icecube
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I really enjoyed the movie but it could have and should have been so much better. I wish they could start by changing the scene where the dumbass scientist goes to pet the alien creature.

Teenagers in Friday the 13th movies don't act that ####ing stupid.

Erick Estrada
06-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I really enjoyed the movie but it could have and should have been so much better. I wish they could start by changing the scene where the dumbass scientist goes to pet the alien creature.

Teenagers in Friday the 13th movies don't act that ####ing stupid.

Well the other dude was freaking out and telling him not to. He was a biologist and for the first time witnessing a new species may have gave him a huge erection. Bottom line was that the script called for both to perish so they got it done quick and moved on. Really it's not like there's anything really logical about Dallas going into the ducts with a flame thrower in the original alien. If I trap a lion in a cage I prefer to lock it rather than follow it inside with weapon in hopes killing it in a dark, claustrophobic duct.

Burninator
06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Well the other dude was freaking out and telling him not to. He was a biologist and for the first time witnessing a new species may have gave him a huge erection. Bottom line was that the script called for both to perish so they got it done quick and moved on. Really it's not like there's anything really logical about Dallas going into the ducts with a flame thrower in the original alien. If I trap a lion in a cage I prefer to lock it rather than follow it inside with weapon in hopes killing it in a dark, claustrophobic duct.You mean second time seeing an alien species. The first time seeing one he got scared, left and somehow got lost with the guy who was making a 3D map of the structure.

Erick Estrada
06-18-2012, 01:08 PM
You mean second time seeing an alien species. The first time seeing one he got scared, left and somehow got lost with the guy who was making a 3D map of the structure.

What was the first? The headless engineer? I don't recall the the species coming out in front of the group. Also I only recall the 3D map being available in Promethius.

Hemi-Cuda
06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
What was the first? The headless engineer? I don't recall the the species coming out in front of the group. Also I only recall the 3D map being available in Promethius.

ya, and he had radio contact with the captain. regardless of that, any geologist that gets lost in a cave should probably just quit

J pold
06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Every time I read people saying this movie was more than terrible I really wonder if I saw the same film. Maybe the movie-reel screwed up when I saw it, honestly I just don’t see how anyone could think this was anything more than very poor.

/end condescending d-bag rant.

d_phaneuf
06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I liked it, but in the days since I saw it the plot holes have started to bug me more and more

Fire
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
7/10

Great special effects, but the story is lacking.

MrMastodonFarm
06-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Every time I read people saying this movie was more than terrible I really wonder if I saw the same film. Maybe the movie-reel screwed up when I saw it, honestly I just don’t see how anyone could think this was anything more than very poor.

Didn't you once post you only like 2-3 movies a year, and those you do enjoy you watch them into the ground?

Not to pull a Cecil here and be a dick but.. who cares then?

3 Justin 3
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

I thought it was better than what you think (I thought it was enjoyable), but I can't see how some people are giving this 8/10 when the story, characters, etc are so weak and the plot holes are just endless.

Damon Lindelof cannot write a story to save his life. He has no clue what story structure and continuity is.

Scott did well with what he had, unfortunately he had a POS script to work with.

Wormius
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
How about this - for those who loved "Alien" and Aliens, but hated "Prometheus", try to explain why you loved one but not the other.

troutman
06-18-2012, 09:52 PM
I thought it was better than what you think (I thought it was enjoyable), but I can't see how some people are giving this 8/10 when the story, characters, etc are so weak and the plot holes are just endless.

Give me a few examples of "plot holes". I'm not sure what people mean by that. Something unexplained is not a plot hole. I think there is a lot of intentional ambiguity in the movie. I disagree that the story and characters are weak. That the characters alternate between selfish (inhumane) and selfless (humane) behavior is one of the themes in the movie.

Yeah_Baby
06-19-2012, 07:04 AM

I really hope that one day we're all as smart as you. The world would then be a much better place. A utopia where the only gods were finance, investment banking and Jordan Leopold.

Erick Estrada
06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Give me a few examples of "plot holes". I'm not sure what people mean by that. Something unexplained is not a plot hole. I think there is a lot of intentional ambiguity in the movie. I disagree that the story and characters are weak. That the characters alternate between selfish (inhumane) and selfless (humane) behavior is one of the themes in the movie.

I think that this generation requires instant gratification. Unanswered questions to them are 'plot holes' because they prefer their hands held throughout the movie. It's not like it's a 90 minute movie where half of it was left on the cutting room floor but it's a two houre movie. It's the 3rd highest rated summer movie according to Rotten Tomatoes but from some posters you would think it's going to be front and center for a Razzie award. That's not the case as it has been shown the majority of critics and moviegoers liked the movie but there is this loud very vocal minority that demands that entertainment alone is not good enough of a reason to like a movie. They demand answers.

Yeah_Baby
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
They demand answers.

Which is a shame. Because sometimes the questions are more important than the answers.

Jason14h
06-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I think that this generation requires instant gratification. Unanswered questions to them are 'plot holes' because they prefer their hands held throughout the movie. It's not like it's a 90 minute movie where half of it was left on the cutting room floor but it's a two houre movie. It's the 3rd highest rated summer movie according to Rotten Tomatoes but from some posters you would think it's going to be front and center for a Razzie award. Whether they were 'plot holes' or lazy writing or bad editing, there were so many nonsensical sequences in this movie it made it next to impossible to actually "think" about a deeper meaning.

This write up basically sums up every annoying part in the movie that I hated, not to mention the alien surgery, all of a sudden no one cares about it confusion, or the fact that Weyland is hiding on an exploration he funded. He could do whatever the fata he wanted, why is he hiding! He doesn't want to kill the aliens, weaponize, etc. He actually basically has the same mission as the scientists. (Albeit to save himself)

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/prometheus-mistakes-rfure.php

When a movie is this badly put together for some it makes it impossible to look any deeper. That is why I think people either love or hate this movie. You can polish a turn all you want, but in the end it is still a turd!

troutman
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
This write up basically sums up every annoying part in the movie that I hated, not to mention the alien surgery, all of a sudden no one cares about it confusion, or the fact that Weyland is hiding on an exploration he funded. He could do whatever the fata he wanted, why is he hiding! He doesn't want to kill the aliens, weaponize, etc. He actually basically has the same mission as the scientists. (Albeit to save himself)

I think I know why Weyland was hiding. The purpose of the mission was his own selfish quest for immortality, perhaps something the rest of the crew (the scientists) would not be thrilled about if it was disclosed. There may be better explanations.

Vickers may have had a different motivation - obtaining advanced technology.

Burninator
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Ambiguity and things being unexplained is fine with, I get that. If this movie wanted that maybe there shouldn't have half explained things then. My problem with the movie is that things were either illogical or not internally consistent with the universe the movie setup. I'm sure some of you would say these are nitpicks (I would agree) but when there is so many of them it really takes me out of the movie and wrecks the atmosphere. Especially when so many of these things could have been fixed so easily.

It's a trillion dollar mission and the only scientist they can find are ones "in it for the money" because those are the best scientists right?
5 dots leads them to conclude alien life created them?
Almost all of them agree to be frozen for two years with no idea what the mission actually is.
The biologist refers to evolution as Darwinism (nit pick for sure, but they could have made a phone call to any scientist about this one).
They figure out the atmosphere is oxygen so they remove their masks with complete disregard for pathogens (better looking to not have masks on, fine)
Masks are internally lit for some reason and have condensation (looks cool, fine)
The biologist sees alien life for the first time and even though it's been dead for 2000 years he is scared of it and the room, leaves.
The biologist and geologist who as far as the movie goer can tell are in constant communication with the ship that has a 3D map, manage to get lost.
The rest of the crew, without thinking, leave them behind.
The two of them go back to the room that they were too scared to go into in the first place to sleep! Buh?!
The biologist, who apparently is a scientist, sees alien life (second time) tries to coax it toward him like a puppy. How very scientific of him. He is scared of dead alien life but not alive ones? Wah?
They stimulate the head and it explodes for some reason.
The DNA match is exact even though they are 9' tall.
The guy scientist finds alien life and is a brooding a-hole about it for no clear reason.
The alien snake thing turns the geologist into a zombie with super human strength for some reason.
The guy scientist has a snake thing in his eye and tells no one (guess he doesn't have to, you would think a scientist would)
Charlize's character doesn't want the infection guy on board so she opens the biggest door on the ship.
The infected girl is in quarantine, knocks out some dudes who never show up again.
The medical pod in Charlize's personal quarters which is tailored for her and is a separate ship, is only for men (I guess it's for the old guy then).
The old guy is not dead for some reason. Certainly no good reason, because they don't provide one.
It makes no sense why a younger guy plays an old man. The makeup is so awful it took me out of the movie. He is barely in the movie, they should have just used an old man.
They no longer care about her being infected and/or why she has a giant scar.
She can run around and lower heavy bags of stuff with seemingly little pain despite having abdominal surgery moments before. (she grunts a few times, oh right)
The old man is Charlize's father which the movie makes out to be this big reveal. But everyone saw it coming, doesn't care, and it didn't matter.
The working class ships captain who is only "in it for money" and doesn't care about the science in the mission, has a change of heart and decides to sacrifice himself to take down the ship.
While that was boarder line in terms of believability, the reason the other two go down with the ship was because of a side bet! A side bet! Insanity.
They run away from a falling doughnut like idiots (duh (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/13))
The main actress talks about her Christianity a lot, but the only thing Christian about her is that she wears a cross. They could have done more with this.

These are things that could have easily been fixed. You'll notice I didn't point out things like the opening sequence, most of the characters motivations, why the aliens seeded Earth and then decided to retract the offer of life, why the alien ripped David's head off and started rampaging, etc. I'm fine with leaving those over arcing things vague and/or unanswered. I don't need my hand held, but don't make me leave my brain at the door either. This movie didn't need to have so much illogical things in it. I think the movie needed to either be longer or had some characters be cut. There was too many and except for David none of them were fleshed out. The environment, technology and effects were great, but the rest was lacking. I am still holding out hope for a longer directors cut.

Tinordi
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Damn you for wanting a logical movie that makes sense. Can't you just turn your brain off? You're such a wind bag for demanding that movies be good and intelligent instead of mindless with cool effects.

Yeah_Baby
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Damn you for wanting a logical movie that makes sense. Can't you just turn your brain off? You're such a wind bag for demanding that movies be good and intelligent instead of mindless with cool effects.

No one is saying that Prometheus doesn't have issues. Far from it. No one as said it's the best movie ever. And most people have rated it 7/10 or thereabouts. We're just saying it has elements (Fassbender) that don't make it Michael Bay or Uwe Boll bad.

Flash Walken
06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
4.5/10

Glad I didn't use real money on this one.

Erick Estrada
06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Honestly it's like some of you don't understand the fiction part of science fiction. Batman for instance is preposterous on principle but I would feel sorry if a moviegoer spent the entire movie wondering why a billionaire like Bruce Wayne who could essentially build an Iron Man suit but chooses to parade around in a rubber suit with pointy ears, bat logo, and a cape. It's ######ed really but we don't ask and we don't care about how illogical it is.

Flash Walken
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
This has nothing to do with the gaping plot holes that the Batman franchise also has (Uh, so what happened to all those billionaires locked up in a Gotham Penthouse with the Joker and his goons?)

It's about the movie being so bad it'll be tough to sit through it a second time.

I LOVE unexplained portions of plot that leave it to the imagination of the viewer.

15 non-connected, unexplained scenes isn't leaving the audience wanting more, it's terrible direction/writing/editing.

Frankly, this could easily have been a prequel to AVP.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Honestly it's like some of you don't understand the fiction part of science fiction. Batman for instance is preposterous on principle but I would feel sorry if a moviegoer spent the entire movie wondering why a billionaire like Bruce Wayne who could essentially build an Iron Man suit but chooses to parade around in a rubber suit with pointy ears, bat logo, and a cape. It's ######ed really but we don't ask and we don't care about how illogical it is.

That is totally different. Was it in this thread someone was talking about the basis of suspension of disbelief?

It isn't about how big the jumps in logic are, it is about them being consistent and believable within that world.

A man dressing up like a bat is borderline ######ed and insane. However, the motivations in Batman Begins, the reasons why he chose that costume, that vehicle, that identity, the batcave etc all make sense within the world of Batman.

Igottago
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM

There's a fine line. While not everything in Batman makes perfect sense the story still holds together enough logic within its own world that makes you come along for the ride without focusing too much on the inconsistencies. Premetheus leaves you asking too many WTF questions.

No one is slamming the movie because its a fictional subject. They are slamming it because the story was poorly conveyed and presented.

Igottago
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
The environment, technology and effects were great, but the rest was lacking. I am still holding out hope for a longer directors cut.

I don't think a directors cut could even salvage it. Trust me, I wanted to like this movie, I was hoping for a very good sci-fi movie (which are a rarity these days), but there's too much wrong with it to ignore.

Tinordi
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
All movies have to operate within the laws that they set in order for it to make logical sense and more importantly to make the motivations, decisions, and feelings of the characters identifiable to the viewer. Without that you get a crappy movie.

Inception is a great example of a world that makes no sense, people going into dreamland etc. No one bashes Inception for that specious premise, that you can invade people's dreams, it's just a given that you have to accept to enjoy the movie. Anyone with a base level of imagination can do that.

What makes inception work is that they lay out the rules of the world that they're operating in and the decisions that they make in that world make sense, and more than anything provide suspense to the viewer.

Bad sci-fi is when you write the characters/story into a corner and then you just "reverse the polarity" or time travel out of there. It shows laziness in the writing, etc. Even worse is when characters make illogical decisions that aren't explained. Why did character X do that when they could have just done this instead? Oh because it was more suspenseful to do X than Y. Well that's not good enough.