04-16-2012, 02:38 PM
:pop:

dissentowner
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
He is dead. So is Elvis and MJ.

wireframe
04-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Totally cool.

This video should explain the hologram technology. They created a CGI video of Pac from previous videos with some recording of his voice. Then they projected it onto a special foil. The same company does the awesome holograms for the Gorillaz.

Or for those who prefer the Magic School Bus:
jhqLmhLeIpM

FlamingLonghorn
04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
"I'm just glad the upper-middle class white community got to spend one more evening with Tupac." - Eric Ledgin

C-Life
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Totally cool.

This video should explain the hologram technology. They created a CGI video of Pac from previous videos with some recording of his voice. Then they projected it onto a special foil. The same company does the awesome holograms for the Gorillaz.

So cool. I actually wasn't sure if Snoop could see the hologram or not. He did a good job on stage too.

Senator Clay Davis
04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm not alive....feel me!

wireframe
04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
So cool. I actually wasn't sure if Snoop could see the hologram or not. He did a good job on stage too.

I assume Snoop could see the image, but it would look like it was on the floor because he is on the back of the angled screen. The image was probably a lot fainter as well because the foil is probably quite reflective.

Regular_John
04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
This strikes me as a little weird, but it might just be because it looks like more of a guitar hero model than anything.

I think it would be one thing to take previously recorded footage & find a cleaver way to project it onto the stage. But the whole "make a model, now watch it dance!" thing seems in poor taste. On par with the Kurt Cobain model in guitar hero that had people up in arms a few years back.

But hey, anything to make a buck I suppose.

valo403
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
This strikes me as a little weird, but it might just be because it looks like more of a guitar hero model than anything.

I think it would be one thing to take previously recorded footage & find a cleaver way to project it onto the stage. But the whole "make a model, now watch it dance!" thing seems in poor taste. On par with the Kurt Cobain model in guitar hero that had people up in arms a few years back.

But hey, anything to make a buck I suppose.

Well they didn't really "make a buck" off of this as tickets were sold out well in advance of anyone having a clue this would happen, but I get your point. I think it's a cool thing to do once, but wouldn't want to see it become a regualr occurrence.

Resolute 14
04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Dear rap industry: He died years ago. Get over it and make names for yourselves rather than leech off a corpse.

CaptainCrunch
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Maybe they could do a two holo show with Tupac and Notorious Big doing a rap version of the Celine Dion song I will always love you.

JonDuke
04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm a huge fan of 90's hip hop and loved it. Gave me goose bumps seeing it.
Probably safe to say there were quite a few people under the influence of various drugs and I cannot imagine how many of them totally tripped out. THAT would have been awesome just to video tape the reactions.
And really, the hologram was still more authentic than any rap out there today.

manwiches
04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I am a really big 90s hip hop fan.

I think this was one of the best tributes I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

I would have loved to be there, and experience in the moment, with the artists that loved him so much and paid tribute.

Flash Walken
04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
California Love would have been great with Dre.

Iconic:

FWOsbGP5Ox4

(Chris Tucker is awesome)

Maritime Q-Scout
04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Poor Tupac, didn't he know Easter was the previous weekend?

-TC-
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
speaking for most 40 year old white guys when I say...who??

Maritime Q-Scout
04-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Black Elvis

Regular_John
04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Tupac died 15 years ago, when you were 25. During your early 20's he had two number one hit albums, since the early 90's he's had 22 #1 hit songs. His murder in the 90's was highly publicizes along with the death of Biggie Smalls shortly after. For a while you basically couldn't turn on the American news without seeing his face.

So either you're attempting some odd 40 year old white guy version of being a hipster, or you didn't own a TV during the 90's.

wireframe
04-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Dear rap industry: He died years ago. Get over it and make names for yourselves rather than leech off a corpse.

Yeah I know. When will these Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre kids get off their asses and make something of themselves.

Northendzone
04-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Weird, but cool at the same time.

I thought I heard years ago that Tapachula had a lot of unrealized stuff in the can, but I am unsure if that is true and how much was released.

Senator Clay Davis
04-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Me Against the World > All Tupac albums

Hockey_Ninja
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Pretty amazing how far technology has come to actually recreate something like this. Very impressive.

icecube
04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Tupac died 15 years ago, when you were 25. During your early 20's he had two number hit albums, since the early 90's he's had 22 #1 hit songs. His murder in the 90's was highly publicizes along with the death of Biggie Smalls shortly after. For a while you basically couldn't turn on the American news without seeing his face.

So either you're attempting some odd 40 year old white guy version of being a hipster, or you didn't own a TV during the 90's.
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/4354/245070-elirothoohfacedbysorant.png

missdpuck
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I saw Hendrix on Atlantic Ave. Delray Beach.

That place is so stuck on itself they'd have you believe that.

Regulator75
04-16-2012, 08:17 PM
At least his pants are at the proper height and not around his knees.

OldDutch
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of 90's hip hop and loved it. Gave me goose bumps seeing it.
Probably safe to say there were quite a few people under the influence of various drugs and I cannot imagine how many of them totally tripped out. THAT would have been awesome just to video tape the reactions.
And really, the hologram was still more authentic than any rap out there today.

Ya, I was lucky to be in jr high and high school in the 90's. Gave me goose bumps too, and I was thinking the same thing about the drugs. More nostalgia factor than anything for me though.

It really goes to show that Hip Hop hit its Apex 15-20 years ago. So much creativity: West Coast P-Funk (Death Row), East Coast grime (with jazz nods to Tribe and Gang Starr), Chicago soul (Common), deep south bounce (Think Goodie Mob and Outkast). Ever since then it has just been a slow downward spiral. Sure there are great acts, but they are so far and few now. Maybe it is a product of me getting older, just like those middle aged guys love 70's rock. Totally get it.

I think back to the end of Old School hip hop in 1989, and the emergence of New School. There was a few years from 1990-1993 where hip hop was sorting itself out, and when it did, wow. I keep hoping year after year that will happen again, but I think it is safe to say Hip Hop has peaked for good.

Unless a another young Kung Fu obsessed octet from Staten Island comes out of nowhere again to re-kick start it...

hkstylez
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
I miss Tupac.

hondabbl
04-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not alive....feel me!
ai1yagSvUUI

username
04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
I can honestly say that set by Dre/Snoop was the best performance I have ever seen and that's saying a lot because I am more of an electronic music fan. Like most mid 30 year olds, I did listen to that old school hip hop music in high school and this show totally brought me back to the good ol' days.

What a show, though! If anyone has the opportunity I'd suggest you get tickets for Coachella this weekend because that performance on it's own was worth the price of going down there.

East Coast Flame
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Hard to explain what it was like being in the crowd for that. I literally stood there with my jaw dropped. What an insane night.

Funniest part was trying to explain to the wasted girl beside me that it wasn't actually 2pac.

Flash Walken
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Funniest part was trying to explain to the wasted girl beside me that it wasn't actually 2pac.

Next time, just go with it.