PDA

View Full Version : Tipping a server

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

tenyardrambo
04-06-2012, 11:24 PM
What are the ethics of tipping?
I understand that some people will argue between 10-20%. BUT what if you get very bad service? Will you tip then? What if the service was sub par would you just tip a buck or two?

Does service and the quality of food combine for the tip? I have noticed that lots of servers expect a tip and will feel offended if you don't.

What are your opinions on this topic?

**** in very expensive food establishments I know they are stacked with sous chefs and head chefs, the service should be prime, hence the tip higher then 20%?

hmmhmmcamo
04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
:pop:

Imported_Aussie
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

CaptainCrunch
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I usually leave a tip, sometimes people just have a bad day, if I get bad service, I'll probably tip the customary 15%, but I won't return to the establishment and let my friends know about the experience.

If its really terrible service I'll talk to the manager about it before I pay the bill.

If its really good service, or really good food, or they make my evening pleasant, then I'll do the 20% tip.

But I probably have never short tipped.

silentsim
04-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Best tipping philosophy EVER.

V1ZZWhSvOMI

edit: fixed link

Locke
04-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Best tipping philosophy EVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI

Hmm.....let me guess, you're a fan of Mr. Pink's 'never tip' philosophy?

As for myself, I usually tip no matter what, because I'm like that. My gf on the other hand will definitely leave what we owe, to the penny if you piss her off.

silentsim
04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Hmm.....let me guess, you're a fan of Mr. Pink's 'never tip' philosophy?

nope, link fixed!

ma-skis.com
04-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I usually leave a tip, sometimes people just have a bad day, if I get bad service, I'll probably tip the customary 15%, but I won't return to the establishment and let my friends know about the experience.

If its really terrible service I'll talk to the manager about it before I pay the bill.

If its really good service, or really good food, or they make my evening pleasant, then I'll do the 20% tip.

But I probably have never short tipped.

That's pretty much the standard for most people.

The only thing is if the food is bad, it's not really the server's fault, but at the same time, that is an oppurtunity for the server to actually earn their tip by providing the appropriate service to recognize and fix whatever is wrong in a quick efficient manner without making the customer feel bad. That is actually the only time you really need a server to fix things. Good food should be an expectation.

if you tip a buck or two because you're that disgruntled with the service, I'd say thats fine. The server is working for that tip and if they don't earn it, they don't get it. I'd also let the manager know as you are paying for the whole experience when you go out. The managers job is to make sure you leave happy, regardless of what you tip.

and tip more than 20% if you really want to, don't feel obligated because its a fancy restaurant, fancy restauraunts charge high prices, which inflates the tip anyways so regardless, they end up with more even if you do stick to the 10-20 rule. Waiters at the Keg who make 10% all night, will make more than the waiter at the Dennys who makes 15% all night.

Good servers make good money, so dont feel bad about expecting that kind of service and tipping appropriately based on the service.

Anyways, this is only if you like tipping, I won't go into the societal expectations of tipping as that always turns into a heated battle, I'll put this topic as number 3 with religion and teachers in terms of how angry people get on CP

BCGirl
04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
My tip depends on the service, attitude of the server and quality of the food. I have tipped 20% on a late night Denny run and I have 0% and did not feel one bit sorry for it because I couldnt believe that such an idiot could even still have her job. ( but then... It was Denny's) my fiance and I go to the Calgary Tower and I had one sever I tipped 35% because he was phenomonal the entire evening we were there! But as an average amount I try to tip about 14-20% for good-better service. Anything higher I better be really impressed.

freedogger
04-07-2012, 12:15 AM
With two young kids and a third on the way, we just order pickup from our favorite restaurants. I usually tip about 10 percent because there is no serving part. Is this too much or too little? I don't have a clue.

flylock shox
04-07-2012, 01:17 AM
15% as the standard. Up to about 20% for good service. Down to 1 penny for bad service.

1 penny is better at making your point than no tip at all: makes it clear you didn't just forget.

trackercowe
04-07-2012, 01:26 AM
With two young kids and a third on the way, we just order pickup from our favorite restaurants. I usually tip about 10 percent because there is no serving part. Is this too much or too little? I don't have a clue.

I don't tip for pickup service... I always tip when I eat at a restaurant, but don't feel the need when I go in to pickup.

Maybe that's not normal, but in this case what am I even tipping for? Food prices are high enough already, and if I am wasting a few bucks in gas picking up the food that is the tip right there.

Makarov
04-07-2012, 01:29 AM

I generally tip between 15 and 20 percent for table service, but when picking up take-away I just round up to the most convenient total (even if it only means 1 or 2 percent.) Even that seems fairly generous to me, considering the person taking your order and handing you your food is doing the exact same amount of work as the person who takes your order and hands you your food at McDonald's.

Lt.Spears
04-07-2012, 01:30 AM
10-20% usually. If the service is awful i will tip something bad like 13 cents to make a point (I'm talking REALLY bad service).

I get that everyone has bad days, but that shouldn't effect me at all, your a server... Do your job and serve me.

kenk-la
04-07-2012, 01:59 AM
I generally tip 15-20% depending on the service, but if the food is bad or the kitchen is slow why should the server be punished by no tip? Servers/wait staff are not paid very well and many of them rely on tips. So unless the service is atrocious I don't see why you wouldn't tip, but apparently the idea of tipping is debatable (mostly to those who never had to do anything of that sort).

Mightyfire89
04-07-2012, 03:52 AM
I'm pretty much Mr Pink as far as tipping goes.

Kipperriffic
04-07-2012, 05:11 AM
12-15%

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 06:15 AM
I always use service quality as a gauge on the state of our economy.

Great news! service has been getting worse lately so the economy is heating up.

If the economy is really really strong, the servers at Joey's,Earl's are less hot too.

If the economy is bad, service is generally good and the servers are hot.

20%- if service is great or had to do something extra for me
15% and droppping if the service is less than good

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 06:19 AM
If somebody doesnt believe in tipping that is their opinion but I hope they believe that they should be making a fair living wage.

MelBridgeman
04-07-2012, 06:54 AM
If you don't tip your server they end of losing money - since the total of your bill is included in their ring out and they have to tip out the bar, bussers, kitchen ect a percentage of that ring out.

ma-skis.com
04-07-2012, 07:33 AM
If you don't tip your server they end of losing money - since the total of your bill is included in their ring out and they have to tip out the bar, bussers, kitchen ect a percentage of that ring out.

depends on the restaurant (although most do this), but i still don't think that should be a reason why you have to tip, if anything it should motivate the server to provide better service to get above the tip out.

Not to mention most servers work half as hard as the dishwasher and make twice as much in a night despite the tip out.

As far as take out, because of the tip out, I'll generally leave something, but it usually ends up with me rounding it out to the nearest convenient dollar figure. I'll gauge service there anyways based on if the food is ready to go when I show up, or if I'm standing around a long time. (although one time they offered me a drink since I had to wait so long)

DownhillGoat
04-07-2012, 07:48 AM
My general rule of thumb:

10% as a minimum (ie: the order was correct, got drinks somewhat punctually)
About 15% if the service is good.
20% or more if it's outstanding.
0% if the service is atrocious. But usually has to be pretty bad for that.

I've always been of the mindset of 'don't go out to eat if you can't afford an extra 10%'.

justkidding
04-07-2012, 08:13 AM

What percentage of the total ring out do they have to pay to everyone else?

llama64
04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
depends on the restaurant (although most do this), but i still don't think that should be a reason why you have to tip, if anything it should motivate the server to provide better service to get above the tip out.

TIP: To Insure Prompt Service.

It exists precisely to motivate a server. A server is not entitled to a tip nor is a patron expected to give one.

If the patron wishes to get better service then par, then you tip your server (waiter, bartender, valet, etc). It's really meant for long standing relationships between servers and patrons - if you tip well, you will get a reputation at the venues you frequent and will receive better service as a result.

Sadly, the d-bag restaurant industry decided to capitalize on the social expectation of tipping prevalent in our society and dropped the wages of servers to the point where they literally HAVE to make tips in order to make any money at all.

Don't like tipping and hate that you're expected to anyways? Blame the jackass restaurant "manager" driving the BMW outside.

I tip GST * 3, rounded up to the nearest dollar. I make quite a bit more then minimum wage and I treat my servers like human beings so I almost never receive bad service. When I do, I still tip - because I assume the servers need the money more then I do. I have never been treated rudely by a server, ever. I suspect the people who do get that treatment earned it in some regard, or have ridiculous expectations.

MelBridgeman
04-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Depends on the place and it`s been so long that i am not sure my numbers are correct - but is usally 4.5% +

MelBridgeman
04-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Not to mention most servers work half as hard as the dishwasher and make twice as much in a night despite the tip out.

I somewhat disagree - I don`t think you can compare those two jobs ( i have done both) - most dishwashers are some 16 year old kid still living with mommy and daddy and the odd hipster who has no social skills. A dishwasher may `work` but the stress level of a server can be much greater at times - considering they are slaving for your extra pennies to pay off their student loans.

MelBridgeman
04-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Don't like tipping and hate that you're expected to anyways? Blame the jackass restaurant "manager" driving the BMW outside.
^

Go to McDonalds?

HPLovecraft
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
^

Go to McDonalds?

Or don't tip?

WhiteTiger
04-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I tend to tip pretty nicely. It's not hard for a server to get 15-20% out of me. I understand that the food quality is not under their control (though the few times I've had an issue, they've gone above and beyond to fix it, really earning a good tip.)

I keep a couple pennies on hand for bad service. I use the '2 glass' method of determining how bad service is. I've only given out a couple, but I have given out pennies as a 'tip'.

Slava
04-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Depends on the place and it`s been so long that i am not sure my numbers are correct - but is usally 4.5% +

I've got a friend who tips 3% if the service is bad, and writes a note to go with it. He explains that the service was terrible and this 3% is because the kitchen and busboy have to be tipped out. Seems fair to me.

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 08:52 AM
The server has to tip 3% to the kitchen regardless how much tips they make from a table. So if you receive bad service, you shouldn't even have to gve the 3%.

I serve PT on weekends. I wish people would tip 0% more often if they get bad service. I work with so many lazy servers, and they still make decent tips.

GGG
04-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I somewhat disagree - I don`t think you can compare those two jobs ( i have done both) - most dishwashers are some 16 year old kid still living with mommy and daddy and the odd hipster who has no social skills. A dishwasher may `work` but the stress level of a server can be much greater at times - considering they are slaving for your extra pennies to pay off their student loans.

Having done all of the restaurant jobs, dish pig, cook, waiter, bus boy and bartender. The list of jobs in terms of easiest to worst goes bartender, waiter, cook, bus boy, dish pig. The level of pay is opposite. Although in fancier restaurants cooks will be reasonably paid but really in most reastaurants beyond the head cook the rest are paid like crap relative to the front of the house (note this is based on 10 yars ago)

The other thing to add is that if you arent tipping because of bad service you have an obligtion to talk to the manager to discuss the problem. They will appreciate it. If the service wasnt bad enough to talk to management then at least tip 6% to cover tip out. But even then if you are less than your base line tip you should tell someoe why. Also if you tip more than normal for good service you should tell the manager as well because giving positive feedback is nice in a very negative feedback based industry.

A tip, unless you are a regular customer, is not a method of feedback.

WhiteTiger
04-07-2012, 08:55 AM
The server has to tip 3% to the kitchen regardless how much tips they make from a table. So if you receive bad service, you shouldn't even have to gve the 3%.

I serve PT on weekends. I wish people would tip 0% more often if they get bad service. I work with so many lazy servers, and they still make decent tips.

But...but...we've had it pounded into our heads that these poor people make mere peanuts (I've heard someone tell me they make as low as $3/hr before...) and depend on our tips for the basic stuff we take for granted, like being able to go out... So we must tip, and tip well, regardless of the service... ;)

metallicat
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Aren't things done differently in Australia? As in server staff for example, are paid more than here? I know you probably live here now, but perhaps that's where this opinion is coming from.

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
$3/hr is probably true in the states. Here, hey get. Minimum wage which I think is $9.05.

There's always the same servers I work with that complain when a table under tips. It stopped being coincidence and is now a trend. They still don't get it.

We finally fired a server last week after dozens of complaints of bad service. Even with providing bad service, she was consistently making $150 a day in cash tips which I don't think she deserved

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
People should tip if they get takeout. It doesn't have to be compared to how much you'd tip for sit down service, but the kitchen has put just as much work into preparing the meal and the restaurant as a whole. Throw a little money the way of the person who got your takeout ready, it goes a long way, especially if you plan on coming back time to time.

Yes, there are arrogant servers who don't do anything to better your experience and expect a 20% minimum tip. I can see how that would be frustrating to many. There's also a lot of servers who work their asses off and get treated like absolute crap by the clientele. When this discussion comes up, it's so easy to tell the people who have worked in the industry, from the people who have never stepped close to it.

To get tipped 0% or to try and make a statement with leaving a penny, the service in my mind has to be absolutely atrocious and to the point where you're never going back to that establishment again.

15% if the service is as average as can be and so is the food. I'll usually tip 18-20% for most service and then if it's a place I go to a lot or know the people working it's usually around 25%

Notorious Honey Badger
04-07-2012, 09:36 AM
People should tip if they get takeout. It doesn't have to be compared to how much you'd tip for sit down service, but the kitchen has put just as much work into preparing the meal and the restaurant as a whole. Throw a little money the way of the person who got your takeout ready, it goes a long way, especially if you plan on coming back time to time.

Yes, there are arrogant servers who don't do anything to better your experience and expect a 20% minimum tip. I can see how that would be frustrating to many. There's also a lot of servers who work their asses off and get treated like absolute crap by the clientele. When this discussion comes up, it's so easy to tell the people who have worked in the industry, from the people who have never stepped close to it.

To get tipped 0% or to try and make a statement with leaving a penny, the service in my mind has to be absolutely atrocious and to the point where you're never going back to that establishment again.

15% if the service is as average as can be and so is the food. I'll usually tip 18-20% for most service and then if it's a place I go to a lot or know the people working it's usually around 25%

I refuse to tip when I get take out. Wtf am I tipping? I paid for my food. I'm coming to get it.

tenyardrambo
04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I refuse to tip when I get take out. Wtf am I tipping? I paid for my food. I'm coming to get it.

very true

I will tip servers for going up and beyond the call of duty.
1. Making sure my pop/water is topped off
2. If I order an appetizer, the main course should not come while we are still eating the appetizer.
3. If service is busy, great communication is being used.

To me the server gets paid to work by the employer, if the server treats me/us with exceptional service then I will definately will tip.

If the refills and communication is lacking...no tip.

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Do you also tip at McDonald's, grocery stores, clothing stores, electronics stores and basically every other business you purchase goods and products at? If not, then maybe you should. Otherwise, I think your advice is ridiculous.

Huntingwhale
04-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Tipping in entirely dependant on how the server looks. If it's a male, I'll tip him lightly. If she is hot, she gets a nicer tip. If she is large and plump, she gets the biggest tip of all.

Coys1882
04-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I tip fairly because society has conditioned me to do so.

Otherwise tipping is quite possibly the biggest farce in the world. Lots of people make crap salaries and aren't subsidized by the customer; how did it get such a strong foothold in the restaurant industry? I didn't make them be a server and no one is holding a gun to their head to work there - why is it my responsibility to help make ends meet through tips?

The other thing I hate is that if you question or debate the merits of tipping -people will often just discard your argument as you being cheap or quote the Mr. Pink phenom. I think that's a form of Godwin's Law to be honest.

DropIt
04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
^

Go to McDonalds?

Think you need to take another shot at reading that

sworkhard
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I tip based on a combination of the quality of service and how long I was at the place. I've gone to a little small town restaurant with a few guys for 2 hours before and tipped something near 500% (All I bought was a coffee with free refills for around $2 and the service was great). I tend to tip around 15-20% on average, with the tip varying from 0% for a terrible place to around 35% when the food and service are both exceptional. On occasion, if it seem like most people are getting good service, but I feel I'm not, and I think I'll be a regular, I'll tip really high on my first visit to establish a good reputation. When I come back a week later its amazing how much the service improves.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Because the kitchen, who in almost all places restaurants get tipped out, have put in the same amount of work to prepare your meal. It's a busy night at the restaurant, it's full and the kitchen is preparing your meal, along with the front of house staff getting it together for you. As I said in the original post, it should not be viewed at all as the same as sit down service, but throwing so much as a toonie can go along way in getting takeout and is something I practice. You can feel free not to.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Do you also tip at McDonald's, grocery stores, clothing stores, electronics stores and basically every other business you purchase goods and products at? If not, then maybe you should. Otherwise, I think your advice is ridiculous.

I don't know how in the world you went from me saying people should leave at least something for a trip when getting takeout, to that point.

#1) Those people do not rely or work on tips. They have set hours, bonuses, work of commission, bonuses exc.

My only point was that it can go a long way and in my mind, people should leave at least something when getting takeout. Especially on a busy night in a restaurant.

Ace
04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I pretty much always tip the norm 15-20%, I can't think of one single time that service was so bad I wouldn't tip anything. I generally believe that there are people pretty much looking for any excuse to lower the tip or reduce it, and honestly it's just a few dollars, I mean enjoy the meal, stop waiting for a mistake to be made. I hold the belief that customers that don't want to tip will usually either A) Find any reason why the service sucked, B) have a terrible attitude that leads to the bad service (I mean honestly, if you are a jerk do you really think the server is going to go out of their way to try and earn an extra $6 bucks)

On another note, service in canada is pretty much terrible compared to almost anywhere in the US.

I've never been a server...

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Almost all servers rely on tips as their primary source of income. Making $9.25 or $10.00 an hour is a very nice and I'm appreciative, but serving shifts can last as short as 1 or 2 hours . You are not guaranteed any hours, it's very uncommon to work anything close to a 40 hour work week in the industry. I'm not complaining about it, nor do I feel entitled that no matter what the service or the quality of the food, I should be tipped regardless. I just believe there's a lot of people who are very ignorant to the industry because of one or two bad experiences and tip accordingly.

Slava
04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it's funny how we all say (myself included) that we tip for service, when really the best service and fastest is at a fast food restaurant! You order exactly what you want and its given to you in minutes. If we were really tipping for service that would be hard to beat.

I'm not taking a shot at people tipping, because I do it as well. I just think we tip more as a custom rather than for service except in rarer cases.

Clarkey
04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Since when did 15% become customary?

Swarly
04-07-2012, 11:25 AM

A tip, unless you are a regular customer, is not a method of feedback.

not true at all, if someone is a crappy server and people actually tipped them as they should, 0-5% max for crappy service, that server would be making very little money and would move on to another job they can do poorly at.

I worked as a server at Denny's and its amazing the amount of money you make. Most of the good servers there made about $25-30 /hour with wage + tip, even the bad servers were making 15+.

If people started tipping again for good service instead of the automatic tip then those bad servers would be making even closer to min wage and leave opening that spot to someone who wants to be there and does a good job. So when I leave a bad tip for bad service it is improving the service industry as a whole. You are welcome ;)

as a note I leave 15-30% for good service. but have no problem leaving change, I had a server 'thank' me once for my $0.25 tip and had no problem telling her how she earned it.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
I think it's funny how we all say (myself included) that we tip for service, when really the best service and fastest is at a fast food restaurant! You order exactly what you want and its given to you in minutes. If we were really tipping for service that would be hard to beat.

I'm not taking a shot at people tipping, because I do it as well. I just think we tip more as a custom rather than for service except in rarer cases.

If that is what you are looking for but we all have different needs

Notorious Honey Badger
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Because the kitchen, who in almost all places restaurants get tipped out, have put in the same amount of work to prepare your meal. It's a busy night at the restaurant, it's full and the kitchen is preparing your meal, along with the front of house staff getting it together for you. As I said in the original post, it should not be viewed at all as the same as sit down service, but throwing so much as a toonie can go along way in getting takeout and is something I practice. You can feel free not to.

I certainly will.

anyonebutedmonton
04-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Just wanted to clarify that every restaurant has a different tip-out. I worked in one a few years back that was at 4.75% (Moxies) and have a friend who works at WEST and she tips out over 7% of her bills.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
^7%!!! holy crap

jammies
04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I tip 15-20%, 25% if the service is exceptional and 10% if it sucks. Occasionally I'll also write on the back of the bill if it really, really sucks.

Don't be a d-bag, tip your server. "Oooh society wants me to tip - society don't tell daddy what to do!" Get over yourself, you're not instigating some social revolution, you're eating a meal. Regardless of the reasons for the custom, these people rely on tips to live, and you're just being a gigantic d*ck if you put your wallet away out of so-called "principle".

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Just wanted to clarify that every restaurant has a different tip-out. I worked in one a few years back that was at 4.75% (Moxies) and have a friend who works at WEST and she tips out over 7% of her bills.

Very true. I just used 3% because that's what is required at my restaurant.

My main point was that if you wanted to punish the server for bad service you don't need to tip anything. People were saying you should tip 3% (or whatever the tip out percentage is) so the kitchen doesn't get screwed. My point was that you can actually tip 0% because the kitchen will get their share anyway.

anyonebutedmonton
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Since when did 15% become customary?

Not sure if serious...

15% seems to have been customary for quite a while. If anything I would say it's actually on the low end.

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't know how in the world you went from me saying people should leave at least something for a trip when getting takeout, to that point.

#1) Those people do not rely or work on tips. They have set hours, bonuses, work of commission, bonuses exc.

My only point was that it can go a long way and in my mind, people should leave at least something when getting takeout. Especially on a busy night in a restaurant.

Why does the kitchen staff at some place like Milestones be treated any differently than the kitchen staff at McDonalds?

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Why does the kitchen staff at some place like Milestones be treated any differently than the kitchen staff at McDonalds?

Really?

JohnnyHowDoO'duya
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Almost all servers rely on tips as their primary source of income. Making $9.25 or $10.00 an hour is a very nice and I'm appreciative, but serving shifts can last as short as 1 or 2 hours . You are not guaranteed any hours, it's very uncommon to work anything close to a 40 hour work week in the industry. I'm not complaining about it, nor do I feel entitled that no matter what the service or the quality of the food, I should be tipped regardless. I just believe there's a lot of people who are very ignorant to the industry because of one or two bad experiences and tip accordingly.

so? lots of jobs have unreasonably low pay, my solution would be to quit and go find a job that pays a better wage.

i hate the concept of tipping servers, hairdressers, taxi drivers. i dont tip the grocery store cashier or the bus drivers. if a hair dresser wants $40 for a hair cut instad of $35, then ask for it in your pricing. making me leave a tip or feel the shame of these public expectations really grinds my gears.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 11:59 AM
You know who I think should get tips is those poor guys who pump your gas but go beyond with a good window cleaning.

Especially in crappy weather.

A dying job though.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Because their jobs are completely different and so are the establishments.

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Because their jobs are completely different and so are the establishments.

How are they different? They are both preparing the food that you eat at their establishments. But you would tip at Milestones for take out but not at McDonalds.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
so? lots of jobs have unreasonably low pay, my solution would be to quit and go find a job that pays a better wage.

i hate the concept of tipping servers, hairdressers, taxi drivers. i dont tip the grocery store cashier or the bus drivers. if a hair dresser wants $40 for a hair cut instad of $35, then ask for it in your pricing. making me leave a tip or feel the shame of these public expectations really grinds my gears.

And a lot of jobs have guaranteed hours, the service industry does not.

Tipping has been around a lot longer then you have in Canada, sorry you don't agree with it. You're beef seems to be with the entire concept of tipping in restaurants, in which case there's no real debate to be had here.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
How are they different? They are both preparing the food that you eat at their establishments. But you would tip at Milestones for take out but not at McDonalds.

Don't be silly anybody can figure out the difference

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Don't be silly anybody can figure out the difference

Then you should have any difficulty explaining how the job for the kitchen staff at Milestones differs from that at McDonalds.

4X4
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM

I picked up some Chicago DD last night at their store, and the debit machine trolled me for a tip. WTF? You made the pizza and then brought it to the counter. Is that not included in the price? Do I have to pay extra because you carried it from the oven to the desk?

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Then you should have any difficulty explaining how the job for the kitchen staff at Milestones differs from that at McDonalds.

Look at the two menus and that should explain it to you.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Why do I owe you an explanation for something so simple?

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Quick question. You go to a Seinfeld-like restaurant with your friend ONLY for a cup of coffee each. Do you tip the server?

SeeBass

What do you do for a living?

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Quick question. You go to a Seinfeld-like restaurant with your friend ONLY for a cup of coffee each. Do you tip the server?

Yes you do especially if it is a peak business time.

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Why do I owe you an explanation for something so simple?

What do you do for a living?

That's now three replies of yours to deflect from answering something that you claim to be simple. Why is it so hard for you to answer the "simple" question?

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:15 PM
That's now three replies of yours to deflect from answering something that you claim to be simple. Why is it so hard for you to answer the "simple" question?

have you answered my question yet on why I should answer something so easy, you still havent answered what you do for a living either.

these should be simple to answer I dont understand the deflecting

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 12:16 PM

So you think Milestones as an establishment and the kitchen itself is interchangeable with the one at Mcdonalds? The only comparison you seem to be able to draw is that they both are in the food service industry.

BlackRedGold25
04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
have you answered my question yet on why I should answer something so easy

Fine. I'd like you to prove that you can answer something easy.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:19 PM

I would have thought that answering what you do for a living was pretty easy too. I would like to answer with relating to what you do,

If you are unemployed and dont want to answer I understand

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 12:24 PM

And I'd like you to answer the questions, I've asked you

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:25 PM
^just trolling it appears

GGG
The only real difference is that most fast food chains have a policy of not accepting tips.

Weirdness
My dad actually got frauded because he left a poor tip. He was very upset with the service and food quality for a supposedly high end restaurant and therefore left 6 dollars and change on a 163.something bill, bringing it up to 170. A day or two later his Visa showed he was billed 190. He called in and it turned out the server added a 2 in front of the 6-something and changed his 7 to a 9 so it read 190. So yeah she was let go and my dad got a partial refund. Blows my mind that a waitress would commit a crime because of a poor tip.

GGG
04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
So you think Milestones as an establishment and the kitchen itself is interchangeable with the one at Mcdonalds? The only comparison you seem to be able to draw is that they both are in the food service industry.

You obviously never worked at a mcdonalds. You work as hard there as any other kitchen. Skill level may be different but that should be compensted with salary by the owner.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I am all for an adult conversation about tipping yah or nay but if somebody honestly thinks that a kitchen run by at the minimum an educated trained chef and thinks it is the same as a high volume flash frozen menu, then it really just is a waste of time.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 12:31 PM
You obviously never worked at a mcdonalds. You work as hard there as any other kitchen. Skill level may be different but that should be compensted with salary by the owner.

The entire establishment is different, you are dealing with customers sitting down, much different rushes, a much larger variety of orders, and a 100% different clientele and industry in itself.

And the skill level is not comparable and Milestones isn't even a strong restaurant by any means. I'm not discarding the work ethic or effort put into working at Mcdonalds at all, the two are just not comparable.

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 12:32 PM
My dad actually got frauded because he left a poor tip. He was very upset with the service and food quality for a supposedly high end restaurant and therefore left 6 dollars and change on a 163.something bill, bringing it up to 170. A day or two later his Visa showed he was billed 190. He called in and it turned out the server added a 2 in front of the 6-something and changed his 7 to a 9 so it read 190. So yeah she was let go and my dad got a partial refund. Blows my mind that a waitress would commit a crime because of a poor tip.
Partial refund? He shouldve gotten his entire $20 back

Clarkey
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I rarely tip above 15%, it's the same when I'm on the company's dime.

Serving is right up there with Realtors as far as skewed compensation schemes and self entitlement. I'm not saying I don't value what they do but I think they are overcompensated. I tip at fast food and at least 25% at the bottle depot.

If it's a restaurant I go to frequently I'll tip a little higher so I don't get a gob in my next meal but it's not necessarily because I think they deserve it.

MrMastodonFarm
04-07-2012, 12:41 PM

He should have gotten his entire meal paid for.

Weirdness
Restaurant name?

This was 6 or 7 years ago at the restaurant at GM place.

I don't remember specifically what the manager did, but it was some sort of refund. My dad didn't care about that, he wanted to know what was done about the server who committed fraud, he could've gone to the police instead.

Who knows, maybe she did that dozens of times before and no one noticed. My dad watches his Visa like a hawk though. Just surprising someone would go that far after being undertipped.

Clarkey
I am all for an adult conversation about tipping yah or nay but if somebody honestly thinks that a kitchen run by at the minimum an educated trained chef and thinks it is the same as a high volume flash frozen menu, then it really just is a waste of time.

A lot of these McDining places like Moxies are basically just heating up food in the back.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:43 PM

You are right skill level is a big factor.

If people expect a higher salary that is fine but expect higher prices then. but either way you will pay.

I am comfortable with the ability to control my server's wage in direct relation to my satisfaction. If people are getting annoyed with tipping to bad servers (and I agree, if they are bad don't) why would you feel better knowing you are part of this person's much higher wage instead.

Good servers get rewarded with good sections and good hours.

For all of you guys that like looking at those hot Joey's servers say goodbye to them if you want to pay them a higher wage instead, cause they would never make the amount in a wage that they would make in a tax free tip. Those servers will just take a similar hourly wage in a way less stress free enviroment without having to act like she is your friend.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
A lot of these McDining places like Moxies are basically just heating up food in the back.

I agree the Sysco's of the world are destroying the dining industry.

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
He should have gotten his entire meal paid for.

I must've read it wrong. I thought he only got a part of that $20 back. I agree, he shouldve at least gotten a voucher for a free future meal.

We had to fire a couple servers at our place who were caught doing that. I don't understand how stupid you'd have to be to try that. There is a paper trail you morons!!!

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I must've read it wrong. I thought he only got a part of that $20 back. I agree, he shouldve at least gotten a voucher for a free future meal.

We had to fire a couple servers at our place who were caught doing that. I don't understand how stupid you'd have to be to try that. There is a paper trail you morons!!!

May I ask what place is yours? When you say "our" do you mean owners or manage?

HPLovecraft
04-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I worked at Kelsey's as a cook at a couple of different positions on the line, and there was not a single educated, trained chef in the bunch of us. There was some real cooking going on, but it really wasn't anything someone that can cook at home and handle pressure well couldn't do.

It definitely requires more skill than working at McDonalds -- you have to actually be able to cook different things and prepare the dishes (depending on your station), but don't go to places like that and expect your food to be cooked by anyone actually trained.

Lobotroth
04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
If you go out and someone serves you and you do not tip you're a jackass, plain and simple.

SeeBass
04-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I worked at Kelsey's as a cook at a couple of different positions on the line, and there was not a single educated, trained chef in the bunch of us. There was some real cooking going on, but it really wasn't anything someone that can cook at home and handle pressure well couldn't do.

It definitely requires more skill than working at McDonalds -- you have to actually be able to cook different things and prepare the dishes (depending on your station), but don't go to places like that and expect your food to be cooked by anyone actually trained.

Fair comment but Kelsey's is still not on par with Milestones, not that Milestones is anything great.

Coys1882
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
If you go out and someone serves you and you do not tip you're a jackass, plain and simple. With no exception you tip? If so, you sir are the jackass.

Lobotroth
04-07-2012, 01:44 PM
With no exception you tip? If so, you sir are the jackass.

Yes, I will always tip, personally I don't watch servers like a hawk when I go out, if there is a problem it's usually pretty obvious. If they bring me my food and drink and don't get too much in my face ie. "Are you guys finished negotiating with those menus?" I will tip them. If the food is terrible I don't go back, I don't need to place the burden of my displeasure on a single employee. I apologize for the jackass remark, I only used it for effect.

Pacem
04-07-2012, 01:50 PM
People complaining about customers having to subsidize an employees wage thru tipping.... Just some things to think about.

Its not just restaurants mandating it now. Governments have decided that servers of licensed restaurants get a lower minimum wage. A server at a licensed establishment in BC gets $1.25 less per hour, effective May 1st. The disparity is not as much in Alberta. If you abolished tipping, servers could not survive, not necessarily because of their hourly wage.. Servers can't even get in a full 40 hour work week. A lot of them work 4-5 hours at a time. At a restaurant you'd be lucky to find 2 or 3 servers that actually get close to full time hours. Stat holidays screw that crap up. Keep the hours down, less you have to pay. Servers wouldn't even be able to survive on min wage job due to the ####ty hours they work. 20 - 25 hours a week. Do you really think if servers were paid a fair wage that the price of food wouldn't go up as result. Labour costs are huge factor in determine prices on the menu. All the chain restaurants have nice software that determines how many labour hours they should use on any given day and break it down to any given hour. Takes into account store history and everything. A 20% increase in wages (takes $9 to $10.80, still not worth working as a server at that wage) would result in well more then 20% increase on your bill in costs. That standard run of the mill meal that is $15 is going to rise to $20, no problem. Refills wouldn't be free. I bet tap water would cost you money. If the restaurants had to hike up wages to keep people employed as servers, they will nickle and dime everything possible to help offset wage increases. Continuing with tipping as a standard in our society will cost customers less in the long run.

I'll never leave no tip. Some friends and I left 13 cents once and the guy thru the change at us and hid behind the bouncers. That guy was a complete dick. We ordered a pitcher that had the top 3rd as foam. He was the bartender/server and we literally had to argue with him to go and fill up the pitcher properly. And he slammed the pitcher down like a jackass when came back and sighed like a baby when we wanted to pay by debit.

My wife and I do not see eye to eye on tipping. She is a chronic over tipper. She used to be a server. She doesn't think I understand the value of tipping.

My wife likes to leave 20% no matter what. Poor service, great service no matter she feels the need to tip 20%. She always gets annoyed if I don't leave a tip that high. Im not against tipping 20%, but its got to be good service. Bad service still gets 10% and decent, expected service gets 15%. If I have tabs that have way more booze then food, like an appy and 6 pints them im tipping closer to 10%. A meal and 2 or 3 drinks then it stays at the normal tipping rules for me.

One thing I cannot stand is having an empty beer, or wine glass. There is no exccuse for my drink being empty. Refillable soda, sure I get it, you're busy and it adds nothing to my bill. When i'm paying $6 a drink.... My glass should never be empty. And it happens so often. Get more drinks on my tab and you get more money in your pocket its as simple as that. That is a sure way to get me to tip less.

As for take out. I loathe tipping on take out. My wife always does it. For those of you mentioning the tip out the servers have to do and that is why you should tip on take out.. Take out orders for the most part are run thru the system by a manager, or the managers will change it later. Not personal experience, but my wife worked as a waitress for years, and my best friend is well entrenched in the restaurant industry, and thru him i've learned so much about the inner workings of what really goes on. I can't help it I like asking questions, lol. In his case, when managing, if a server got screwed on a tip to not even cover tip out, it was a pretty accepted practice to comp a non alcoholic beverage just so the server got something. Its usually the bar manager that does take out orders or the manager himself. They don't have to do tip outs, they aren't servers. There is no cost. You are saving them money by not having to sit down and take up a table for 30mins - 45mins if not longer. Restaurants would love to do take out all day long at the prices they charge for food.

If its one of my local watering holes, I tip fairly well and they treat me well. I have a few :bag: places I go to regularly, been living in the same area for a decade and I like beer, what can I say. These are the places that start pouring my beer as soon as i walk in. There is another beer placed down before my last gulp is gone. They always getting tipped well, and in return I've receive more then my free share of "samples" of food, beer and shots.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know why anyone in the world would be ordering takeout from Montanas or any of those chain restaurants in the first place

ma-skis.com
04-07-2012, 01:57 PM

I don't think you can generalize most dishwashers as 16 year old kids. Many are the same age as the servers out front, (unless you're in a place where you have career servers and actual professional cooks on the entire line). Many are middle aged immigrants who haven't learned english yet. Mostly, they're just people who need work and that's the best they can do.

Regardless, as someone else who has also done both, I never felt like server stress level was that big of a deal. (maybe when I started out and hadn't figured out the routines yet) And I would never use the phrase "slaving for your extra pennies" as it often felt like at the end of the night I had a bunch of free money in my pocket. (particularly when I compared it to what I would have made before as a line cook, and then I would remember my hourly on top of that)

As far as not enough hours as a server, better servers get better shifts. Those are the rules, your manager distributes the busy times and good shifts to the best servers because they can be trusted at the busy times when restaurant stress levels go high. This also happens to be the time when the most money is made, or hours are earned.

Serving is a decent job for 18 to twenty-somethings, so I have no problem with people tipping whatever they feel is appropriate (even if it's nothing, I used to imagine they were from europe or something, it happens). Some nights are garbage, but some nights you hit big, unfortunately a lot of servers forget the big nights because we'd blow it on drinks for everyone and only remember the 3.00 someone left on the 47.00 tab.

Lobotroth
04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
One thing I cannot stand is having an empty beer, or wine glass. There is no exccuse for my drink being empty. Refillable soda, sure I get it, you're busy and it adds nothing to my bill. When i'm paying $6 a drink.... My glass should never be empty. And it happens so often. Get more drinks on my tab and you get more money in your pocket its as simple as that. That is a sure way to get me to tip less.

Agreed, this is pretty much the only thing that GMG when I'm out.

Hockey_Ninja
04-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Funny i found this thread. One time i tipped the Pizza guy only 5%. I didn't really know my math well so i just let it be. When we ordered again it was the same delivery guy and he found the tip amount i gave him last time insulting so i gave him a 20% tip the second time. I felt kinda confused the second time around but he seemed to be pretty serious about it.

Aegypticus
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I can only remember tipping nothing one time. We went to Brewster's in McKenzie Towne after golfing and I had a salad come with my meal in a bowl on the side. This salad was, no joke, 80% a huge, inedible piece of lettuce core. I told the server about it and she said she would "notify the kitchen and get a manager." She took the salad away.

No manager came to our table, no replacement salad, nothing taken off the bill. We were in a hurry so we didn't pursue it further, but we left no tip and now I make sure to tell people about my bad experience at Brewster's. I swore I wouldn't go back (I had other experiences at Brewster's I wouldn't exactly call great before this incident) and I've persuaded groups I've been with to go to Original Joe's on 130th instead. Never had a bad experience there.

afc wimbledon
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
There's only one absoloute rule if you don't tip, don't go back there, no one wants the 'special sauce'.

Daradon
04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
By a drink first, tip early and big, and reap good service for the rest of the night

Pacem
04-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Funny i found this thread. One time i tipped the Pizza guy only 5%. I didn't really know my math well so i just let it be. When we ordered again it was the same delivery guy and he found the tip amount i gave him last time insulting so i gave him a 20% tip the second time. I felt kinda confused the second time around but he seemed to be pretty serious about it.

Oh I forgot about them guys. Yeah i'm not tipping them as much as I used to.

Quite a few years back ordered some pizza from Panago while at a buddys house. Paid the bill and such. His old man was looking at it and was like WTF??? Delivery charge, they're just down the street. Cheap old ####er called them up and bitched and complained about the charge. Asked who specifically got the money., was a real jerk about it too, was funny to listen too, lol. They weren't anything at first but finally admitted the delivery charge goes to the driver. More and more places are now tacking on delivery charges to the bill cause of this. Not sure if its accurate the driver gets the money or not but if I see a delivery charge on the bill my tip goes down down down, lol.

The norm used to be you'd get a 10% discount when you picked up your food. Chinese places, and old school restaurants still do the pickup discount, so those guys I tip well. All the chains and bigger restaurants are adding charges tho.

squiggs96
04-07-2012, 05:12 PM

They are doing their job for minimum wage. There is incentive for them to give better service to earn a better tip. You may counter with you don't get tips. You also get paid more than minimum wage and may earn bonuses.

A solution would be to raise the price of menu items by 15% and give the servers higher wages. This would lead to you not having to tip, but you would likely receive worse service. Since the wages are guaranteed, the servers don't have incentive to give you better service. They get their money no matter what. By keeping the system as is, you get some control over it, but the server also gets some control by deciding how good he/she wants to be.

You absolutely have the right not to tip, but when you return to that restaurant and wonder why your service is crappy, it's because servers talk. Good and bad customers are talked about all the time and pointed out. If you don't like society's rules, stay home. It's cheaper anyways.

I'm all for not giving a good tip if the service is bad. If the service is awful, I won't tip. A tip is a reward for good service and should be earned. I also hate when people won't tip because the kitchen screwed up. If it isn't the server's fault, why would you hurt them?

WhiteTiger
04-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I also hate when people won't tip because the kitchen screwed up. If it isn't the server's fault, why would you hurt them?

I get the feeling this isn't as well known as one would think. One would think it's basic common sense. The server isn't the person cooking the food, but the sheer amount of people who take out any issue they have (which is usually a kitchen issue) on a server is pretty staggering.

MelBridgeman
04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I get the feeling this isn't as well known as one would think. One would think it's basic common sense. The server isn't the person cooking the food, but the sheer amount of people who take out any issue they have (which is usually a kitchen issue) on a server is pretty staggering.

there is no shortage of idiots in this world

Kybosh
04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
In my experience as a past line cook, the majority of food errors were caused by servers giving the wrong order to the kitchen.

vektor
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
what gets me is having an option for tipping where the people have provided no service yet. For example at Opa I buy a wrap and fries and the tip option comes up on the interac. Having to pick 0% is annoying, why I am going to tip you when you provided zero service yet.

albertGQ
04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
In my experience as a past line cook, the majority of food errors were caused by servers giving the wrong order to the kitchen.

I'll vouch for that. There are servers that think they're smart and don't write stuff down. Then they're the ones always screwing up.

MrMastodonFarm
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I waited 10 minutes for coffee at a place last week... coffee.. I still tipped. She was really cute.

GP_Matt
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
What about tipping on a bottle of wine with dinner?
If you order a $60 bottle off the menu and the next day have the same meal and order a $100 bottle should the tip go up accordingly. (Assuming there isn't a sommelier who came out to provide you with the recommendation)

Cheerio
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I tip at fast food and at least 25% at the bottle depot.

Woah woah woah, you're supposed to tip at the bottle depot? This is news to me :bag:

metallicat
04-07-2012, 09:56 PM
what gets me is having an option for tipping where the people have provided no service yet. For example at Opa I buy a wrap and fries and the tip option comes up on the interac. Having to pick 0% is annoying, why I am going to tip you when you provided zero service yet.

I hate fumbling and trying to find the alpha button or whatever it takes to not tip at a fast food joint. Putting the tip option like that on the debit machine grinds my gears big time.

Edit - and I don't normally tip when I get take out either, but at my usual pizza joint where I've become known by name (not sure if that's a good thing or not) I leave a tip. When I walk in to pay for my wheel I am greeted with friendliness all the time. And it's at a dive bar too.

flames_1987
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I didn't realize saying that I believe people should tip for takeout would be met with such venom. I'm talking about throwing even just a toonie in, especially if you are ordering during a dinner rush hour when the restaurant is full.

I can't stand establishments adding the tip button that have no business doing. I also dislike how some Moxies and chain restaurants hand over the debit machine with 20% 25% or other now for tip.

burnin_vernon
04-08-2012, 03:08 PM
They are doing their job for minimum wage. There is incentive for them to give better service to earn a better tip. You may counter with you don't get tips. You also get paid more than minimum wage and may earn bonuses.

A solution would be to raise the price of menu items by 15% and give the servers higher wages. This would lead to you not having to tip, but you would likely receive worse service. Since the wages are guaranteed, the servers don't have incentive to give you better service. They get their money no matter what. By keeping the system as is, you get some control over it, but the server also gets some control by deciding how good he/she wants to be.

You absolutely have the right not to tip, but when you return to that restaurant and wonder why your service is crappy, it's because servers talk. Good and bad customers are talked about all the time and pointed out. If you don't like society's rules, stay home. It's cheaper anyways.

I'm all for not giving a good tip if the service is bad. If the service is awful, I won't tip. A tip is a reward for good service and should be earned. I also hate when people won't tip because the kitchen screwed up. If it isn't the server's fault, why would you hurt them?

There's a couple of people here who missed this joke. Forget the tipping dilemma, the real travesty is that you haven't seen this movie.

Some NSFW language

V4sbYy0WdGQ

burnin_vernon
04-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Where Mr Pink is wrong is that there is indeed such thing as "too f#%*ing busy" in a server's vocabulary. Restaurant owners can be very conscious of their labor hours. Sometimes, management will skimp on staff and put a huge load on their experienced servers.

I worked in a place where I would often have to serve a party of 30 by myself in addition to 6 other tables. (My record was 21 tables at once, on a sunny day on the patio) I was very good at my job and took a lot of pride in it but when it got like that, and there was no one to help me, it was chaos. Sometimes we had no hostesses and we did not have bussing staff so clearing and cleaning a table would be the server's job too.

So while I agree that the worst thing a server can do is leave a glass empty, to say there is "no excuse" for it is unreasonable. I just hope that people would look around before they make a judgement on the service. If your server is over-busy, complain to the management, but don't punish the server.

HELPNEEDED
04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I keep it simple:

Fast Food and Take Out= 0%, No effin way i'm paying somebody to eat at home.

Dine in: 5-15% depending on level of service rendered. Now thats 5-15% of the bill before any coupons/groupons or any other form of discoutning if i'm using that.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 03:51 PM
I keep it simple:

Fast Food and Take Out= 0%, No effin way i'm paying somebody to eat at home.

Dine in: 5-15% depending on level of service rendered. Now thats 5-15% of the bill before any coupons/groupons or any other form of discoutning if i'm using that.

So if a Server does an exceptional job, goes above and beyond, their ceiling for a tip is 15%? I'm not asking this question to be rude, just I haven't met many people that would even consider 5% a tip and cap out at 15%

HELPNEEDED
04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
So if a Server does an exceptional job, goes above and beyond, their ceiling for a tip is 15%? I'm not asking this question to be rude, just I haven't met many people that would even consider 5% a tip and cap out at 15%

Yes.

FlamingLonghorn
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I tip minimum 20%. Also, when I go to a place for multiple hours I tip based on how long I am taking up their table. For instance there is a sit down sports bar here that i meet my friends at to watch games. I don't drink so my tab is usually around $5-10 even if I am there for 4-5 hours. In those cases I tip $30-40 as I am costing the server money. I waited tables/bartended for years to support myself in college and in my band days and I know how much a big tip can make someone's day. Just want to point out server's in the US make $2-3 an hour.

squiggs96
04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
There's a couple of people here who missed this joke. Forget the tipping dilemma, the real travesty is that you haven't seen this movie.

I had no idea. His post is much funnier now. I've heard many people speak like that in the real world, so it wouldn't have surprised me if he was serious.

As for the movie, no I have not seen it. I may check it out.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
The server isn't the person cooking the food, but the sheer amount of people who take out any issue they have (which is usually a kitchen issue) on a server is pretty staggering.

Nope, you are 100% wrong on this issue that it's usually a kitchen issue, here's why:

Actual food itself being wrong is always your server's fault if they bring the food to you if the food isn't covered up by anything.

Think about it logically.

90% of the time it's the SERVER'S FAULT:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it's a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

4. Most mistakes with food are visible:

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN'T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n' cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan's Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n' cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n' cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server's fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren't blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let's say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in your example “Steak cooked rare instead of well done ? It’s not your server’s fault, they didn’t cook it, it’s the kitchen’s fault.”

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn't order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that's their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_feb-07/df07_02-04_baconn.jpg

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vv2IGE5obwk/RwVi-0hZziI/AAAAAAAABjc/m6bP-Te_wJE/s320/IMG_8338.jpg

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn't "COOK" the bacon, it's obvious to the *SERVER'S* EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn't to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It's my server's fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that's like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn't tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them "NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked."

http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dsc_6087_550.jpg

In this picture above, you can see the fries don't appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed **BEFORE** I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server's job isn't just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it's also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

http://www.akronohiomoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cindy.jpg

You can notice a lot of things on her plate in the picture above like if the customer asked for no sour cream, well DUHH, it's STARING in your face. If the customer asked for a side of ranch(I would have), it's missing, DUHH!! If the customer substituted fries for rice, well DUHH, that's not on the plate.

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn't compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce "On the side" vs. "On the wings" themselves. This isn't rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn't cook it. If it's another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn't say "no bbq sauce") if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff's fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you'd have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can't notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn't be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili's said "The kitchen forgot" when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren't covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn't bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don't have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that's highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE "DUH" MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY *WHAT* HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn't make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It's because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can't just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald's cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It's very rare that it's not the server's fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you'd have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it's the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

Things like raw chicken tenders aren't the fault of the server unless they are pink or something.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server's fault.

Also, some people assume things as well, that end up being wrong.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it's not the server's fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It's part of the service.

Why also is it when you say "no pickles" or "ONLY lettuce and onions", they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can't understand that if the customer states they don't want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they'd specifically state they would have wanted it "ON THE SIDE." Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don't have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Good lord.

onetwo_threefour
04-08-2012, 08:02 PM
In the restaurant I used to work in, another server other than the one who took your order would bring out the food at least 50% of the time, because management insisted that the first server to enter the kitchen when hot food was "up" must take it to the table so it would be served hot, not to mention that the tray is handed to the server 'ready to go' by the kitchen staff without the server 'reviewing the ticket'.... When food is treated as an assembly line production, you need to realize that the division of labour often means there is no one person supervising the meal from start to finish and i would say that errors were probably at least 50/50 kitchen vs. server, having worked all positions in a restaurant.

How does that fit into your worldview Springs1?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
In the restaurant I used to work in, another server other than the one who took your order would bring out the food at least 50% of the time, because management insisted that the first server to enter the kitchen when hot food was "up" must take it to the table so it would be served hot....

How does that fit into your worldview Springs1?

When that happens, if it's a condiment on the side that's missing, *MY SERVER* COULD have brought that out *AHEAD OF TIME* to avoid someone that isn't getting tipped to give a care if my food is correct or not. So that's my server's fault for missing condiments.

If it's let's say a wrong side dish, I don't know if my server put in the order correctly or what, but that doesn't matter, because since this server that brought me my food has a SET OF EYES(such an OBVIOUS ERROR that you can notice without having to touch the food) that can *READ*(let's say the ticket was correct), it would be this other server's fault and it definitely always should go against the tip since it affected our service. Our time is altered due to someone that was in our service.

Now, if it's an error that this other server couldn't see without touching the food(like a well done steak done medium well), if our server doesn't admit fault that they put in the order wrong or if it's not on our check wrong(we have had proof on our check before things were rung up wrong), then I will take it out on the KITCHEN staff, not either server by not altering the tip any.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Well that was a little shorter, the obsessive need to emphasis CERTAIN THINGS, is rather *ANNOYING*.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Well that was a little shorter, the obsessive need to emphasis CERTAIN THINGS, is rather *ANNOYING*.

If it annoys you, DON'T READ IT, DUHH!!

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:14 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/dmart76/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

KelVarnsen
Springs1 has never worked in any food place of any type.

Notorious Honey Badger
Jesus Christ man. Do you need someone to talk to?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Well that was certainly weird.....

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.This is easily my favorite part of that rant and the uppercase lettering makes me believe she was actually yelling when writing this. Also, it's pretty obvious you must be a regular at Outback Steakhouse if you've shortened it to just Outback.

Do I risk a CP ban by quoting the entire post in a response?

Edit: Also, the awesomeness of this has to be pointed out that Springs1 literally joined Calgary Puck this week and has only posted in this thread.

Notorious Honey Badger
04-08-2012, 08:21 PM
This is easily my favorite part of that rant and the uppercase lettering makes me believe she was actually yelling when writing this. Also, it's pretty obvious you must be a regular at Outback Steakhouse if you've shortened it to just Outback.

Do I risk a CP ban by quoting the entire post in a response?
http://awesomecave.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/typing.gif?w=150&h=107

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Also, it's pretty obvious you must be a regular at Outback Steakhouse if you've shortened it to just Outback.

No, at the time I use to go a lot when this happened. This was years ago, but I remember the server and how she acted like she wasn't at fault when I didn't touch my fries and within 2 seconds I noticed well DUH the fries were VERY OVERCOOKED. It pissed me off to see she was blaming the cooks when the cooks didn't serve me something obviously wrong, *SHE* did though. The cooks weren't at fault for her not getting the cooks to recook my fries.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
mb-LjF-pLNM

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
No, at the time I use to go a lot when this happened. This was years ago, but I remember the server and how she acted like she wasn't at fault when I didn't touch my fries and within 2 seconds I noticed well DUH the fries were VERY OVERCOOKED. It pissed me off to see she was blaming the cooks when the cooks didn't serve me something obviously wrong, *SHE* did though. The cooks weren't at fault for her not getting the cooks to recook my fries.
You're, "that guy".

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:28 PM
You're, "that guy".

HOW? That makes no sense, it really doesn't.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
HOW? That makes no sense, it really doesn't.

That guy, never realizes they're that guy.

metallicat
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I'll read that rant when you get rid of the gigantic hamburger picture.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
That guy, never realizes they're that guy.

You never said why though? I don't understand?

CMPunk
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Springs must be a real joy to go out for dinner with

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll read that rant when you get rid of the gigantic hamburger picture.

It's gone.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
It's gone.

What about all the words, can you get rid of all the words?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I love the use of pictures #1

#2 Dear god do you hold the teenagers and young adults of the awful chain restaurants you visit to far to high of a standard

After actually reading that rant and getting through the pictures. The entire rant boiled down to a server bringing out the wrong entree's to a table and then admitting his mistake. Because hell, that has literally never happened to any paying customer in the industry before.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:34 PM
What about all the words, can you get rid of all the words?

Then there would be no post. If you don't want to read it, as I said you don't have to read it then.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Then there would be no post.

;)

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
#2 Dear god do you hold the teenagers and young adults of the awful chain restaurants you visit to far to high of a standard

Anyone paying money should have that high of standard. Don't you want what you want for your money? Should we all go out to eat and look at the glass half empty that there will be things that will go wrong? No one would want to go out to eat if they knew that there would be problems, would they?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
So far the two restaurants she's spoken about her experiences at have been Chilli's and Outback Steakhouse. This is gold

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Anyone paying money should have that high of standard.

No ones standards should be that high if you're constantly going to Outback Steakhouse.

I mean, it's no Moxies.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Anyone paying money should have that high of standard. Don't you want what you want for your money? Should we all go out to eat and look at the glass half empty that there will be things that will go wrong? No one would want to go out to eat if they knew that there would be problems, would they?

That high of a standard? You're going eat at Chilli's and Outback Steakhouse. You want better service, pay more money, go to actual restaurants. You get what you pay for! It's usually kids for godssake waiting tables there.

CMPunk
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
You always take a chance when you let someone else cook your food.If your standards are that high, stay home and cook yourself

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
For anyone who was scared away by the pictures or the length of the post. You're missing out on some comedy gold here:

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
That high of a standard? You're going eat at Chilli's and Outback Steakhouse. You want better service, pay more money, go to actual restaurants. You get what you pay for! It's usually kids for godssake waiting tables there.

You don't get that this is *******EVERYWHERE*********. We have had bad service at *FINE DINING* restaurants. $39.95 per person, we got a waiter that overcharged us and blamed it on the menu. Another time, we spent almost $300 between both of us, had our waiter forget my margarita and not apologize. Also, he took 8-10 mins. for each coke I ordered.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:42 PM
You always take a chance when you let someone else cook your food.If your standards are that high, stay home and cook yourself

If you don't have standards that high, WHY do you WORK HARD for your money then, huh? So you expect others not to work as hard as you do?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
No ones standards should be that high if you're constantly going to Outback Steakhouse..

Actually it should, because fries being overdone can be noticed by a freaking Kindergartener. I mean really, show a picture to a 6yr old and they can determine if something is lighter in color or not. This isn't rocket science.

CMPunk
04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
If you don't have standards that high, WHY do you WORK HARD for your money then, huh? So you expect others not to work as hard as you do?

I don't work that hard for my money...I kinda coast by

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
For anyone who was scared away by the pictures or the length of the post. You're missing out on some comedy gold here:

Why is this comedy for me to say this that if you are at home, you know if *YOU* left the room with a bowl of mac n' cheese, but you meant to bring out fries, well DUH, it's *YOUR* fault you left the room with the wrong item, DUHH?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't work that hard for my money...I kinda coast by

You still have to put SOME EFFORT into getting money or someone that gives it to you is.

Why do you expect your server not to do the same(PUT FORTH EFFORT)?

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I've never encountered anyone who felt the need to put so much emphasis on so many words.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
You don't get that this is *******EVERYWHERE*********. We have had bad service at *FINE DINING* restaurants. $39.95 per person, we got a waiter that overcharged us and blamed it on the menu. Another time, we spent almost $300 between both of us, had our waiter forget my margarita and not apologize. Also, he took 8-10 mins. for each coke I ordered.

Hahahaha So this is an attack against all servers? The service industry is out to get you.

And you know it's a fancy place when you've ordered multiple CocaCola's and timed the waiters response. Now that's fine dining.

So are you going to poorly reviewed restaurants? Seems to me with UrbanSpoon and the amount of Restaurant review sites out there, there's enough information at your finger tips to find out which places give good service and which give bad. Or are these serves out to get you?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Hahahaha So this is an attack against all servers? The service industry is out to get you.

And you know it's a fancy place when you've ordered multiple CocaCola's and timed the waiters response. Now that's fine dining.

So are you going to poorly reviewed restaurants? Seems to me with UrbanSpoon and the amount of Restaurant review sites out there, there's enough information at your finger tips to find out which places give good service and which give bad. Or are these serves out to get you?

They aren't out to get me. I am just tired of the ones that don't *CARE* about what they are doing, that are (VERY LAZY), and aren't nice people. I should have received a "I'm sorry about that" when I had NICELY asked him about my margarita. There's no excuse to be a jerk.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Why is this comedy for me to say this that if you are at home, you know if *YOU* left the room with a bowl of mac n' cheese, but you meant to bring out fries, well DUH, it's *YOUR* fault you left the room with the wrong item, DUHH?

So the situation you are describing is I'm asking my mom for Mac N Cheese but then when I'm leaving the room I remember I asked for fries, well I've got myself a problem them. Because it's more then fare to compare me mistaking chicken fingers and fries for Mac N Cheese while I eat at home, to a teenager at Chilli's bringing out the entree's to a different table when they are serving 15-20 different people at a time?

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
How many glasses of pop are you ordering that you've timed it?

More then one refill seems a little silly.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
They aren't out to get me. I am just tired of the ones that don't *CARE* about what they are doing, that are (VERY LAZY), and aren't nice people. I should have received a "I'm sorry about that" when I had NICELY asked him about my margarita. There's no excuse to be a jerk.

So start going to places with stronger reviews, where the service is better. It's not to hard to find out.......

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:51 PM
How many glasses of pop are you ordering that you've timed it?

More then one refill seems a little silly.

My husband goes through several more than me. In the fine dining issue that the guy took 8 -10 mins. was the first drink and the refill I had. That time I had one refill of coke.

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
You guys should just eat at home more.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:53 PM
So start going to places with stronger reviews, where the service is better. It's not to hard to find out.......

But it's not the "PLACES", it's the *****SERVER*******. You just don't get it, do you?

For example, we have had 30% service at Chili's, other times we have stiffed or given 10% tips. At Outback we have given 25% tips there, other times we have stiffed or left low tips.

It's not the places, it's the *PERSON*. I request not to get certain servers if they sucked. I request ones that I have had before if they are there. Throughout the years though, some don't work there anymore, actually most.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
So the situation you are describing is I'm asking my mom for Mac N Cheese but then when I'm leaving the room I remember I asked for fries, well I've got myself a problem them. Because it's more then fare to compare me mistaking chicken fingers and fries for Mac N Cheese while I eat at home, to a teenager at Chilli's bringing out the entree's to a different table when they are serving 15-20 different people at a time?

It is, because you have to pay attention to EACH ITEM on EACH PLATE you serve.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Also to add, this past Saturday went to a restaurant that we tipped $10 on like $37 and something cent check(service was EXCELLENT). About a year ago, went to the SAME restaurant, the waitress REFUSED to write my order down, forgot to put in the mai tai order I ordered(no comp even or a "SO" sorry, just a tiny sorry), forgot my mustard(NO SORRY AT ALL for that), and pickles were on the side of the plate when I ordered no pickles when she brought out our food. She got like 8% tip.

My point is, it's not the "place", it's the *PERSON* that serves you if they are caring and not lazy.

ResAlien
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
It is, because you have to pay attention to EACH ITEM on EACH PLATE you serve.
I can TOTALLY understand what YOU MEAN. It's ******EVERY SINGLE PLATE****** that makes the difference. If my BROCOLLI is cold but my steak is WARM AND DELICIOUS how should I tip then?

I just stick with the standard 15% and adjust according to the EXPERIENCE.

RockOnRoberts
I just want to point out that the Honor's Thesis on the Extent to which a server can be blamed came to 2,204 words. I think we could use a conclusion and introduction there.

flames_1987
But it's not the "PLACES", it's the *****SERVER*******. You just don't get it, do you?

For example, we have had 30% service at Chili's, other times we have stiffed or given 10% tips. At Outback we have given 25% tips there, other times we have stiffed or left low tips.

It's not the places, it's the *PERSON*. I request not to get certain servers if they sucked. I request ones that I have had before if they are there. Throughout the years though, some don't work there anymore, actually most.

Because they're kids, they go to school and get careers. Most people working at the service industry are doing it part time and are not grown adults.

And it is the places..........you get what you pay for at Chilli's and Outback Steakhouse. If you want better service and guaranteed good service, you pay more and you do a simple google search and see how their service is rated...if it's high and the reviews are all strong about the service, 9 times out of 10 you're going to get good service.

KelVarnsen
Divorce lawyers work hard for their money, that may or may not be something to consider.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Because they're kids, they go to school and get careers. Most people working at the service industry are doing it part time and are not grown adults.

And it is the places..........you get what you pay for at Chilli's and Outback Steakhouse. If you want better service and guaranteed good service, you pay more and you do a simple google search and see how their service is rated...if it's high and the reviews are all strong about the service, 9 times out of 10 you're going to get good service.

A KID can notice if I have mac n' cheese instead of fries. A KID can notice if I have my fries overcooked. QUIT trying to act like they should be LAZY AND VERY UNCARING. WHY do you want to have someone not *CARE* about what they are giving you, huh? Especially, they expect a tip for that.

Paying more doesn't mean anything. I just said we spent $300 almost(I believe the bill was like $293) and we got MUCH WORSE service than many times we have been to Outback and Chili's. Even Denny's we have had better service than that time we went to that restaurant even.

The reviews don't mean anything. It's the *PERSON* that serves you that makes or breaks an experience.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I can TOTALLY understand what YOU MEAN. It's ******EVERY SINGLE PLATE****** that makes the difference. If my BROCOLLI is cold but my steak is WARM AND DELICIOUS how should I tip then?

I just stick with the standard 15% and adjust according to the EXPERIENCE.

If your broccoli is cold like the freezer, that's not the server's fault. If your broccoli is cool, but you see your server chit chatting away playing around, then I would take off. Understand?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
So far the 3 places we now have visited are Denny's, Outback (short for Outback Steakhouse, try and pay attention CP) And Chilli's. The best thing about this is how it's been going on for years and these idiot servers don't seem to ever learn. This is my favorite CP thread of all time and I so badly want to go out for dinner with Springs1

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
So far the 3 places we now have visited are Denny's, Outback (short for Outback Steakhouse, try and pay attention CP) And Chilli's. The best thing about this is how it's been going on for years and these idiot servers don't seem to ever learn. This is my favorite CP thread of all time and I so badly want to go out for dinner with Springs1

Basically, her and her husband are really crappy customers. The ones servers dread.

CMPunk
04-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Better you then me, I'd stab myself with the salad fork

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Never fear I have found a place where you are guaranteed to get great service and it seems to be in your price range.
3OqjzpPb_xQ

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Basically, her and her husband are really crappy customers. The ones servers dread.

The servers dread us if they are LAZY and UNCARING people. Think about it, if you aren't lazy and care, you are willing to bust your butt for your money.

KelVarnsen
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
The servers dread us if they are LAZY and UNCARING people. Think about it, if you aren't lazy and care, you are willing to bust your butt for your money.

No servers hate you, even the good ones. Because they fear doing something "wrong".

ResAlien
If your broccoli is cold like the freezer, that's not the server's fault. If your broccoli is cool, but you see your server chit chatting away playing around, then I would take off. Understand?
Who's to say? Maybe the cooks did a good job and my server was busy giving an HJ in the bathroom to the guy she's had a crush on for the last 3 months who finally told her that he thinks she's special and that she may just be the girl for him. It really helps her self esteem in the short run even though in the long run it's going to ruin her self esteem because he just used her to get himself off and now all she has for a memory is a handful of organic Jergen's, a wink and a smile. And the hole in her heart.

But the broccoli. Yeah, that could be anyone's fault you really need to examine everyone involved before letting something like that determine your tip.

Red Potato Standing By
They probably are busting there butt for the amount of money they are making.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
No servers hate you, even the good ones. Because they fear doing something "wrong".

Well, if they do something wrong, they know what they did wrong most of the time, because I tell them such as if something is missing or obviously wrong.

Also, they know they don't want things to go wrong, so WHY should they not expect the same thing when they serve?

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, that post only had one capitalized word, an improvement.

flames_1987
If we don't hold the 17 year old server responsible for not bringing a coke refill on time, then the communists win.

Springs1
But the broccoli. Yeah, that could be anyone's fault you really need to examine everyone involved before letting something like that determine your tip.

I know that. That's why I mentioned those issues. Sometimes it's the kitchen staff's fault, sometimes it's not.

Springs1
I thanked your post, because it's the first without some crazy capitalized words.

I did capitalize "why."

MrMastodonFarm
04-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I know that. That's why I mentioned those issues. Sometimes it's the kitchen staff's fault, sometimes it's not.

Zero capitalized words!
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/5101/iFF/091231-champagne-cork-02.jpg?1296083917

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Let's not forget the even younger bus boys, food runers, expos, other teenage servers, managers and everyone else that also could contribute to this blasphemy.

KelVarnsen
04-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Maybe it's your fault.

Springs1
Zero capitalized words!
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/5101/iFF/091231-champagne-cork-02.jpg?1296083917

Thought you were talking about another post.

Springs1
Maybe it's your fault.

No, I don't serve broccoli or cook it.

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Better you then me, I'd stab *HER* with the salad fork
fyp.

So, and this is directed at *SPRINGS1*. Let's say you order something from Amazon. You get it in the mail and realize that it's the wrong item. Do you blame it on UPS, too?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Let's not forget the even younger bus boys, food runers, expos, other teenage servers, managers and everyone else that also could contribute to this blasphemy.

Not with the broccoli issue being cold, unless the managers made the server not bring out my food on time.

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Also, has the returning poster debate been brought up yet?

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:18 PM
fyp.

So, and this is directed at *SPRINGS1*. Let's say you order something from Amazon. You get it in the mail and realize that it's the wrong item. Do you blame it on UPS, too?

I would only blame UPS if they can notice the box label has something different than the order sheet if one is stuck to the box.

If Amazon put the wrong thing in the box and the UPS guy doesn't know what I ordered, HOW the hell can you blame the UPS guy if the box is sealed shut? He doesn't know what's inside the box?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
No, I don't serve broccoli or cook it.

Well that's certainly a surprise from the otherwise healthy diet you seem to be on

KelVarnsen
04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Also, has the returning poster debate been brought up yet?

Are you saying this all about a Pillsbury bake off contest?

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
HOW the hell can you blame the UPS
GOOD question. I GUESS that's WHY i'd blame the person running the PASS in the kitchen vs the server. *THE* servers job isn't generally quality control *IT'S* serving. I guess *OUTBACK* doesn't have a person RUNNING the quality control *IN* the kitchen *.*

Are you saying this all about a Pillsbury bake off contest?
I never even thought about that, but it's quite the possibility.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
GOOD question. I GUESS that's WHY i'd blame the person running the PASS in the kitchen vs the server. *THE* servers job isn't generally quality control *IT'S* serving. I guess *OUTBACK* doesn't have a person RUNNING the quality control *IN* the kitchen *.*

But that's not who I am *PAYING* is it? You see, for the tip, you have to do quality control otherwise, HOW can you expect to get a good tip if you don't give a care about *WHAT* you are bringing out to the customer for any obvious errors?

I mean if I order chicken, why are you bringing me a steak?

What's the point of (TIPPING) the server if they aren't going to give ONE OUNCE of *CARE* about WHAT'S ON MY PLATE, huh?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Some words of advice

1) Yes, 9/10 if you go to a place that has strong service reviews, the service will be good. What a crazy concept. They've become popular, got good reviews for their service, because they have good servers. The fact that you went to a place where you spent a lot of money once, and didn't like the service, does not wipe out this idea or logic.

2) There is a difference between a server at Chilli's and a server at an expensive Steakhouse. You want better service, be expected to pay more money. The Servers have more experience, stronger culinary knowledge, wine knowledge and are genuinely much older.

3) Ordering numerous Soda pop refills at a fine dining establishment, be prepared to wait a little. This is not what their establishment is based on or the type of clientele they are catering to.

Springs1
GOOD question. I GUESS that's WHY i'd blame the person running the PASS in the kitchen vs the server. *THE* servers job isn't generally quality control *IT'S* serving. I guess *OUTBACK* doesn't have a person RUNNING the quality control *IN* the kitchen *.*.

The person *SERVING* me mac n' cheese when I ordered fries was my server, therefore, you can't blame the person that plated the food, can you? You leave the room, it's now on *YOU* for such an OBVIOUS error.

metallicat
Give it up springs.

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
What's the point of (TIPPING) the server if they aren't going to give ONE OUNCE of *CARE* about WHAT'S ON MY PLATE, huh?I honestly don't think you should be surprised that any server in the world doesn't give once ounce of care what they serve you.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
But that's not who I am *PAYING* is it? You see, for the tip, you have to do quality control otherwise, HOW can you expect to get a good tip if you don't give a care about *WHAT* you are bringing out to the customer for any obvious errors?

I mean if I order chicken, why are you bringing me a steak?

What's the point of (TIPPING) the server if they aren't going to give ONE OUNCE of *CARE* about WHAT'S ON MY PLATE, huh?

So how many times when you go to these places are you brought the wrong food?

Nobody is arguing that if you are brought the wrong food, the server doesn't care at all, and doesn't do anything to make up for this mistake, you should tip them more. The best thing to do would seem to be talk to a manger, stop going to this establishment.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:37 PM
1) Yes, 9/10 if you go to a place that has strong service reviews, the service will be good. What a crazy concept. They've become popular, got good reviews for their service, because they have good servers. The fact that you went to a place where you spent a lot of money once, and didn't like the service, does not wipe out this idea or logic.

NOT ALWAYS. That restaurant has good reviews on the internet that I wrote in my other posts about that we just went to this past Saturday, yet a year ago had bad service.

2) There is a difference between a server at Chilli's and a server at an expensive Steakhouse. You want better service, be expected to pay more money. The Servers have more experience, stronger culinary knowledge, wine knowledge and are genuinely much older.

No, there's no difference if the person doesn't care, is lazy, and doesn't have a heart. I got much worse service with that almost $300 meal than a meal at Denny's even.

3) Ordering numerous Soda pop refills at a fine dining establishment, be prepared to wait a little. This is not what their establishment is based on or the type of clientele they are catering to.

So you are saying it's worse service. You are agreeing with me here, don't you see?

It doesn't matter what they are usually catering to. The service should be better at those restaurants and it's just not. I have had at a local chain mexican restaurant had my husband's diet coke refill in literally 30 SECONDS. It was busy too btw.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:41 PM
NOT ALWAYS. That restaurant has good reviews on the internet that I wrote in my other posts about that we just went to this past Saturday, yet a year ago had bad service.

No, there's no difference if the person doesn't care, is lazy, and doesn't have a heart. I got much worse service with that almost $300 meal than a meal at Denny's even.

So you are saying it's worse service. You are agreeing with me here, don't you see?

It doesn't matter what they are usually catering to. The service should be better at those restaurants and it's just not. I have had at a local chain mexican restaurant had my husband's diet coke refill in literally 30 SECONDS. It was busy too btw.

If they have good reviews for service, by so many people, chances are you'll get good service. This is not a guarantee but it's only logical that a place with great service reviews, has a great chance at great service. Why would their be so many good reviews?

No what I'm saying is a fine dine establishment, a wine bar, higher end is not in the business of serving much soda pop to it's customers. While you're husband is ordering a coke re-fill, the tables next to you are ordering bottles and glasses of wine, alchol and so fourth. You might want to expect a little longer wait period. A chain Mexican restaurant probably does most of it's drinks sales re: Soda pop so it's going to be a lot quicker.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:41 PM
So how many times when you go to these places are you brought the wrong food?

Not too often the wrong food, but it has happened a bunch of times over the years.

The main thing I have just about more or less constantly is the missing condiments like ordering a side of ranch, the appetizer I ordered it with it isn't there or the entree that I ordered, the condiments aren't there either it was brought out by another server or our server.

I have gone for example to a Ruby Tuesday that is out of town 4 times, only ONCE was my condiments not forgotten. EVERY TIME and most of those times, each COURSE(appetizer and entree) the condiments were forgotten. The point is though, that means that one server was good, caring, and not lazy like the other ones were to not just bring that ahead of time if they think someone else will bring out the food or if they are forgetful.

I would say condiments is the NUMBER ONE issue I have of ALL things messed up with my food. I order even just ONE side of ranch with an appetizer, I would say 8 times out of 10, it's not there.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
No what I'm saying is a fine dine establishment, a wine bar, higher end is not in the business of serving much soda pop to it's customers. While you're husband is ordering a coke re-fill, the tables next to you are ordering bottles and glasses of wine, alchol and so fourth. You might want to expect a little longer wait period. A chain Mexican restaurant probably does most of it's drinks sales re: Soda pop so it's going to be a lot quicker.

But it shouldn't be that way. You are saying that service at those restaurants as far as refills are not good.

I should be getting my coke PRONTO at those restaurants for the *MONEY* we are spending. My husband ordered a bottle of wine($89 I believe something like that), so that's WHY our bill was almost $300. I ordered a coke instead of water with my margarita, what's wrong with that? So my coke should take 10 minutes? That's lousy service ANYWHERE and for a FINE DINING restaurant to take that long is INEXCUSABLE for the amount of MONEY you spend.

They also have a sommelier to help with the wine. So that isn't my server's job. We actually tipped him $10 cash.

JohnnyHowDoO'duya
04-08-2012, 09:49 PM
You need to lighten up mate, life is short. You sound like an ogre, seriously it's just food. U mad?

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:49 PM
So what's the main point you're trying to make Springs1, that establishments all across the board, fine dining or Chilli's need to hire stronger servers? That no matter the establishment, servers right now are not that strong.

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I should be getting my coke PRONTO at those restaurants for the *MONEY* we are spending.
The guy buying a $5.99 keychain at the Ferrari dealership should get just as good service as the guy buying a $340,000 Italia too. :rolleyes:

Your sense of entitlement is amazing. I truly feel sorry for any person in the service or retail industry that has to deal with people like you.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
So what's the main point you're trying to make Springs1, that establishments all across the board, fine dining or Chilli's need to hire stronger servers? That no matter the establishment, servers right now are not that strong.

Not stronger. Servers that aren't so lazy and uncaring as some of them are. That waiter that forgot my margarita was VERY UNCARING to not say ONE SORRY to my face. I wasn't mean to him or anything. When I reminded him about it NICELY, he just grabbed it from the bar.

The waiter that overcharged us in another restaurant that I mentioned that was $39.95 a person was too LAZY to compare the menu prices to the check prices.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:54 PM
The guy buying a $5.99 keychain at the Ferrari dealership should get just as good service as the guy buying a $340,000 Italia too. :rolleyes:

Your sense of entitlement is amazing. I truly feel sorry for any person in the service or retail industry that has to deal with people like you.

Your sense of entitlement that servers should all get 20% or more regardless of how crappy they treat you is amazing. If you want that tip, you ****WORK HARD***** for it!!

You shouldn't expect *ANY* form of payment if you choose to be lazy.

So if you are entitled to that tip, I am entitled to what I am paying for, GOOD SERVICE.

Yes, the person that buys something of $5.99 should get just as good service, because the money has ******NOTHING********* to do with service, NOTHING as far as what the product costs. WHY would that matter?

I have gotten BETTER service at MCDONALD'S than some bartenders and servers have given us, HONESTLY when we couldn't tip and very much wish I could have tipped the McDonald's employees. They can't legally accept tips though.

Springs1
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM

I have EVERY RIGHT to be entitled since I am the person *HOLDING THE MONEY* that *YOU* WANT. YOU WANT IT, YOU DO THE JOB FOR IT.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Not stronger. Servers that aren't so lazy and uncaring as some of them are. That waiter that forgot my margarita was VERY UNCARING to not say ONE SORRY to my face. I wasn't mean to him or anything. When I reminded him about it NICELY, he just grabbed it from the bar.

The waiter that overcharged us in another restaurant that I mentioned that was $39.95 a person was too LAZY to compare the menu prices to the check prices.

So servers are uncaring and lazy then? Seems like you've built up stories fore more then a couple of years now, correct? What do you think is the best way to avoid getting these lazy and uncaring servers? Clearly there are places where the servers are doing a good job, why their busy, get such great reviews and so fourth.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I have EVERY RIGHT to be entitled since I am the person *HOLDING THE MONEY* that *YOU* WANT. YOU WANT IT, YOU DO THE JOB FOR IT.

Dance Monkeys Dance AHAHAHAHAHAHA Dance for your money

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I miss her already :(

DownhillGoat
04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Your sense of entitlement that servers should all get 20% or more regardless of how crappy they treat you is amazing. If you want that tip, you ****WORK HARD***** for it!!
Nice try. I never said any server should automatically be entitled to 20%. I in fact even went so far as to state that if I get horrid service that I don't tip. I however wouldn't consider a server forgetting my ranch dip or not filling up my coke for the 28th time horrid service. But feel free to misconstrue posts and capatalize letters to get your point across.

FYI, people serving you are in fact people. They are working to make rent and live just like everybody else. They are not your slaves to do your bidding, nor are they unsusceptible to simple mistakes. I can only assume that your employer doesn't hold you to the same level of accountability as you hold the service industry. If they do, I hope it pays a hell of a lot better than minimum wage + gratuities.

undercoverbrother
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM

WOW your husband is a lucky man.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 10:31 PM
What we know about Springs1
1. Well if anything, the upstanding reputation of Chilli's, Outback Steakhouse, Denny's and Ruby Tuesday's have all taken a beating. She has gone there for years now and the service continues to suck
2. Condiment sides continue to plague the industry as the #1 problem
3. She spent $300 with her husband one night when he ordered an $89 bottle of wine, but also multiple pop refills.

Can you just imagine the look on those poor kids faces working at Chilli's when they see her come in? And yes, I picture her looking a lot like Ben Stiller's character at the end of Dodgeball. "Fuc*ing Chilli's Server"

undercoverbrother
04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
What we know about Springs1
1. Well if anything, the upstanding reputation of Chilli's, Outback Steakhouse, Denny's and Ruby Tuesday's have all taken a beating. She has gone there for years now and the service continues to suck
2. Condiment sides continue to plague the industry as the #1 problem
3. She spent $300 with her husband one night when he ordered an $89 bottle of wine, but also multiple pop refills.

Can you just imagine the look on those poor kids faces working at Chilli's when they see her come in? And yes, I picture her looking a lot like Ben Stiller's character at the end of Dodgeball. "Fuc*ing Chilli's Server"

We also know, that based on that list of restaurants, that she is a fine dining diva.

undercoverbrother
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I am a 0% if the service is poor. If it is good or what I expect, then 15% it goes up as the service increases.

burn_this_city
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a way better time making fun of ######ed servers instead of getting angry about it. I dread going to supper with a Springs type person, they make the experience so embarassing with the constant complaining and whining to the staff.

I usually tip 15-20%.

Philly06Cup
04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I tip 15% because I feel socially pressured to do so, and not for any other reason.

flamesfever
04-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I have found it's rare that I get a bad server, probably from treating them on the level, and saying things that attempts to bring out the best in them. As for how much I tip, it is somewhere between 15 and 20%, with the average being about 18%.

GP_Matt
04-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I think this thread should be locked until Springs signs back on.

flames_1987
04-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm just glad Lanny_Mcdonald finally came back to CP in the form of Springs

GGG
04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Not too often the wrong food, but it has happened a bunch of times over the years.

The main thing I have just about more or less constantly is the missing condiments like ordering a side of ranch, the appetizer I ordered it with it isn't there or the entree that I ordered, the condiments aren't there either it was brought out by another server or our server.

I would say condiments is the NUMBER ONE issue I have of ALL things messed up with my food. I order even just ONE side of ranch with an appetizer, I would say 8 times out of 10, it's not there.

Your problem is that you are modifying meals. If you would just order of the menu without all of your extra requesrs your meal would come out fine.

There is nothing more annoying than modifyers. The menu is built so that it tastes good as written. You dont need to kill all your flavour with ranch or bbq sauce. Unless you are allergic to something you shouldnt modify it. And if you do you shouldnt be upset when it doesnt come out specificaly as you requested. Also you dont get to decide how your fries are done. Fries are cooked in large batches for everyone. So for your request of raw fries you make 3 or 4 other peoples meals less appatizing. Sides should come out as specified by the restaurant not one picky customer.

I hope your employer makes you dance for your money and is extremely intolerant of any mistakes you make

Makarov
04-08-2012, 11:36 PM

This in particular was an amazing post.

Springs1, do you not find it strange that you personally seem to receive, by far, worse service than any of the other 1.2 million people in Calgary? Do you not think that it may be time to reconsider your expectations?

Street Pharmacist
04-09-2012, 12:45 AM

My god this kind of attitude is annoying.

You are entitled to:
-not be purposefully misled
-not be at risk medically or fiscally
-receive reasonable return for your money
-you are entitled to tell other people if you have a bad or good experience.

That's it. You are not entitled to an apology because you didn't get your margarita on your schedule. Did you think maybe the waiter wasn't being lazy, but maybe you are NOT the only freaking person in the restaurant?

driveway
04-09-2012, 01:59 AM
The consumer attitude of "you want my money, so do what I want" is a terrible one for most businesses to give in to.

Identify your customer and treat them well. Identify those people who are NOT your customers and don't waste your time trying to placate them.

Springs1
04-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Your problem is that you are modifying meals. If you would just order of the menu without all of your extra requesrs your meal would come out fine.

Actually, that's just not true. We have had times when my husband's meal came out wrong or sometimes even completely wrong, which he orders his meals as they come.

There is nothing more annoying than modifyers.

You are SHOWING your LAZINESS I see.

The menu is built so that it tastes good as written.

That's certain people's opinions, certainly NOT everyone's opinion.

You dont need to kill all your flavour with ranch or bbq sauce.I am not killing the flavor, I am making it taste worth eating with those sauces. I go especially sometimes just for a restaurant's condiments.

Unless you are allergic to something you shouldnt modify it.So me liking the taste shouldn't matter? WTH????? I am ******PAYING******* for the food and the SERVICE, so I should get it the way *********I******** PERSONALLY WANT IT.

And if you do you shouldnt be upset when it doesnt come out specificaly as you requested. If I am willing to **********PAY********* for the service, WHY NOT? That's why we tip our service, for them to serve *US* on an INDIVIDUAL LEVEL that's why they get an INDIVIDUAL TIP, DUHHH!!

They are to serve *US*, NOT others when they serve.

So you should be happy with your food with the taste, but I can't? WTH?? That's not fair is it and you know it?

Also you dont get to decide how your fries are done. Fries are cooked in large batches for everyone. So for your request of raw fries you make 3 or 4 other peoples meals less appatizing.

Actually, you are 100% wrong. Just as you get to request your steak cooked *YOUR* way, I get to do the same for *ANYTHING* else I choose to order. I order my bacon extra crispy as well when I order bacon.

If *MY* MONEY IS ******PAYING FOR THE ********SERVICE*******, I can order it the way I want to. I am paying for the service to get it *MY* way. MY MONEY GIVES ME THAT RIGHT. Hell, I can even go into McDonald's and have my fries without salt(I have before) for NO TIP even. That's how ridiculous you sound.

It doesn't matter how fries are cooked in batches. They do a SEPARATE batch just for me as how it should be just like when they cook your steak SEPARATE just for you.

As far as others, the cooks should be cooking their fries in one batch SEPARATE from mine. I am not altering their fries. It's the cook's decision to do what's right by cooking them separately.

Sides should come out as specified by the restaurant not one picky customer.

NO, because the picky customer is *******PAYING FOR THE SERVICE******** and the FOOD, so just like at Wendy's when you can pick the side you want in your combo, you can do the same at a restaurant, because you are paying for the FOOD.

Springs1
04-09-2012, 05:29 AM
That's it. You are not entitled to an apology because you didn't get your margarita on your schedule. Did you think maybe the waiter wasn't being lazy, but maybe you are NOT the only freaking person in the restaurant?

Did you ever think that he would have gotten 15% at least instead of 12%(which is A LOT on a $293 check) if he would have been *NICE*, huh?

See, when you are mean, we will be just as mean back to you. You want my money, you be *NICE*. WHY do you feel someone is owed a good tip to be mean, huh?

So the waiter messed up, by apologizing makes it a lot better and be able to forgive. By not apologizing means NO FORGIVENESS WHAT-SO-EVER. So 3 seconds of saying "I'm sorry" you mean to tell me you wouldn't do to save your tip even if you don't mean it? Any server would be an idiot not to apologize for their tip.

Notorious Honey Badger
04-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I suspect that Springs1's husband shows up to work with blackeyes he has to make up excuses for.

flames_1987
04-09-2012, 06:53 AM
So Springs1 why do you keep going back to these same places that continually keep screwing up? You keep giving them your business so how are they ever going to change? This has been happening for years now it sounds like.

It sounds like the majority of the time you go out, servers forget to bring you something and are rude. Is that true?

MrMastodonFarm
04-09-2012, 07:01 AM
NO, because the picky customer is *******PAYING FOR THE SERVICE******** and the FOOD, so just like at Wendy's when you can pick the side you want in your combo, you can do the same at a restaurant, because you are paying for the FOOD.

haha I love it. These people aren't understanding your great points, so make those points, *LOUDER!!*

I wonder after showing your husband this thread, and all the replies all these idiots made to you, did your husband go "Yes dear" "i know dear" "okay dear". Then sulk away slowly, sitting on the couch in the dark, downing a beer, and wondering how he got trapped in this.

Mango
04-09-2012, 07:29 AM
This thread keeps getting better and better. I'm out of popcorn though...

driveway
04-09-2012, 07:33 AM
So me liking the taste shouldn't matter? WTH????? I am ******PAYING******* for the food and the SERVICE, so I should get it the way *********I******** PERSONALLY WANT IT.

Actually, you are 100% wrong. Just as you get to request your steak cooked *YOUR* way, I get to do the same for *ANYTHING* else I choose to order. I order my bacon extra crispy as well when I order bacon.

If *MY* MONEY IS ******PAYING FOR THE ********SERVICE*******, I can order it the way I want to. I am paying for the service to get it *MY* way. MY MONEY GIVES ME THAT RIGHT. Hell, I can even go into McDonald's and have my fries without salt(I have before) for NO TIP even. That's how ridiculous you sound.

It doesn't matter how fries are cooked in batches. They do a SEPARATE batch just for me as how it should be just like when they cook your steak SEPARATE just for you.

As far as others, the cooks should be cooking their fries in one batch SEPARATE from mine. I am not altering their fries. It's the cook's decision to do what's right by cooking them separately.

NO, because the picky customer is *******PAYING FOR THE SERVICE******** and the FOOD,so just like at Wendy's when you can pick the side you want in your combo, you can do the same at a restaurant, because you are paying for the FOOD.

You need to stop going to restaurants.

You fundamentally misunderstand what a restaurant is. You're not exchanging money to get whatever you want cooked however you want. If you want that, make it yourself at home.

When you go to a restaurant you are going to have food prepared by a professional. The assumption is this professional is better with food than you are, or is better at this particular kind of food, therefore there is a level of trust which is expected on both ends.

You expect the culinary team to prepare a dish which meets their professional standards, they expect you to be willing to trust that they know what they're doing.

If you do not trust that a professional chef knows their own food better than you do, stay home and cook it yourself.

However, if you're specifically and only referring to the kind of service you get at chain restaurants like Earl's, Chili's, Kelsey's or pretty much any place that ends in "'s" quit your whining, you get what you pay for.

Edit: As for your insanity regarding french fries: you can get fries without salt at McDonalds because the salt is added AFTER the fries are cooked, therefore their system is able to handle your request. The next time you're there try asking for fries cooked in a different kind of oil. Even though it's YOUR money and you have a RIGHT to it, they'll tell you no. The system isn't built to handle your request.

Hockey_Ninja
04-09-2012, 07:38 AM
I give big credit to anyone who was able to read Springs1's first post in this thread.

flames_1987
04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Chilli's, Outback Steakhouse, Denny's, Ruby Tuesday's, Wendy's now the updated list of places our wonderful friend eats at

Lt.Spears
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
ITT: Crazy lady rambles about how servers are not robots and should never make mistakes.

metallicat
04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
McDonald's gave me two ketchups in my takeout bag instead of three. Idiots!

Regular_John
04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Wow, just wow. I was busy with family stuff this weekend so I wasn't on CP much and I figured this thread would just be another "Mr. Pink VS Nice Guy Eddie" conversation.

Little did I know a character named Springs1 was going to pop up and write the epic novel of all post against the service industry.

I don't care to voice my opinion on the tipping matter as it's been covered by many others. But wow, just wow.

Boblobla
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, that was an awesome read.

I don't tip delivery guys if there is a delivery charge on the bill. If there isn't, I will maybe add a few bucks if the food arrived in a timely fashion. I do not tip for anything I pick up. I tip less at a buffet because I am serving myself.