PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Some Country Music!

Joborule
11-14-2011, 10:31 PM
I like the variety in music, though my primarily vibes is Hip-Hop/Rap and Rock related music. I have a few song on my playlist from different type of genres, but one I'm fairly unknown too is country music. I might have two or three songs that are country at most.

Years before I had a biased against it so I never really bothered to listen, but now that I want to explore my music boundaries and find whatever pleases the ears. I'm hoping CP could help me out here and suggest some country songs and artists to check out.

Thanks ladies and gents!

calumniate
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Well CJSW has a show called Tombstone After Dark. Even though I'm not a fan of a lot of country the stuff they play on the show is very good most of the time.

Their website has a playlist - lots of different artists, could be good:

http://cjsw.com/program/tombstone-after-dark/

afc wimbledon
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Personally I think you should go old school, Flatt and Scruggs, Stanley Brothers, Delmore Brothers (huge influence on early rock and roll), Clinch Mountain Boys, Jimmy Rogers, Hank Williams Sr etc.

chris_yk
11-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Some of my favourite newer country artists - Eric Church, Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, and Dean Brody... and you can never go wrong with some Brooks & Dunn or Alan Jackson!

Travis Munroe
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
just check out the billboard list and find what you like by playing samples

Knut
11-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Old school.: Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and The Highwaymen

Local: Corb Lund (punk roots with The Smalls) and Shane Chisholm (Stand-up Bass extroirdinaire)

My personal favorite country album is Rodney Crowell - Fate's Right Hand
Sa1BCErCaCY

Honestly If you want a good transition from Rock to Country you should check out some Americana. Just bring up some Americana radio stations on Internet radio. Wilco, DriveByTruckers for example.

saskflames69
11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5JSUUTO_9I

Yeah_Baby
11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Keith Urban.

:bag:

afc wimbledon
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
qEIBmGZxAhg

NnHQIB6Wn5M

Aq344ks1ieg

As you can probably tell I'm a traditionalist and what country I love is generally old, I came to it from my love of blues.

There is a tendancy to seperate bluegrass from country, (I suspect because put together modern country sounds so bloody bland and talentless, like listening to blues and then hip hop) but it is all country.

hockeycop
11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Brantley Gilbert (Southern Rock Country)
Jason Aldean
Eric Church

Those are pretty easy to listen to and could get you hooked in. Then try Rodney Atkins, George Strait, and Justin Moore.

Under no circumstances may you refer to Rascal Flatts as country music. Avoid them, as they may cause bleeding of the ears and turn you in to a 13 year old girl.

carom
11-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Try some country rock:

The Band

The Byrds - sweetheart of the rodeo

Gram Parsons

Flying burrito brothers

Marshall Tucker Band

This is IMHO, a great place to start. And I know, I really like Gram Parsons.

CrusaderPi
11-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Thompson Square is the next big (relatively speaking, of course) thing in country music. Get in on the ground floor now.

Dion
11-15-2011, 12:59 AM
lB8Nkn3Xjes

TVRzk3VWOKY

-yZMnEBGMR0

9n5G0qFBsHM

PKpQRjj_WbU&feature=relmfu

i86DwuQPnR4

d05tQrhNMkA&feature=related

lRfKfZHUg84&feature=related

Nj2700em-JQ&feature=related

krazycanuck
11-15-2011, 03:58 AM
EU-zks4FRlI
8DbhEzw8zto
z2pJwbCGQ74
OGoiiwxTWeE
-fwCQHQCJPQ

The Goon
11-15-2011, 05:28 AM
With modern country music, I like a lot of the voices (particularly the male voices), but I find you have to pick and choose particular songs. Each artist runs the gamut from great songs to god-awful pop country tunes.

I agree with a lot of a lot of the names already mentioned - Eric Church, Dierks Bentley, Zac Brown Band. I'm a big George Strait fan, so his best songs are worth looking at.

You should also avoid Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift.

I was watching the CMA Awards last week, and one guy I knew of but hadn't really listened to was Glen Campbell, who was honoured at the awards. He has some great songs - By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Galveston, Gentle on my Mind.

STeeLy
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm gonna throw in Darius Rucker, Billy Currington

I will second (or third, or whatever) Zac Brown Band, Eric Church and Dierks Bentley.

Also can't go wrong with Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffet.

St. Pats
11-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't have a lot of country on my playlist either. Nothing new and just a few old school. George Jones(She thinks I still care) is a song that to me is just country through and through. Well George Jones singing period is worth exploring. I have Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell as well.

surferguy
11-15-2011, 08:06 AM
staying local once again.. try Tim Hus. www.timhus.ca

Sliver
11-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Guess I'll be the first hater...

I was at Tony Roma's in Crowfoot on Sunday (man what brutal restaurant choices in that end of town BTW), and I actually had to complain to the manager about the terrible country music they played all through lunch. Fans of country should appreciate their music is horrible to anybody who isn't a fan, unlike say pop music that is generally tolerable to most people. It was the Achy-Breaky-Heart-type garbage they were playing.

Having said that, who doesn't love Johnny Cash or The Gambler:

kn481KcjvMo

troutman
11-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Cowpunk ftw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk

Local - Cowpuncher:

http://wepunchcows.com/

"New" Country sucks balls. It is made by a handful of session musicians in Nashville.

Hevishot
11-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Robert Earl Keen
Corb Lund Band
Reckless Kelly

Joborule
11-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for help thus far! :)

MissTeeks
11-15-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm a huge fan of Dierks Bentley. He's coming back to Calgary in February and it will be the 6th time I have seen him play. He has good party songs and good slower stuff. He also released a whole bluegrass album last year that was pretty good. Plus he's a huge hockey fan!

fi1oM0d6Nwo

As for older stuff, I love me some Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Not just "Fishin in the Dark" and "Cadillac Ranch", but their really older stuff. I'm a sucker for any country music with a mandolin in it.

swBiKyBWoWE

DrJ
11-15-2011, 10:10 AM
George Straight, Tim McGraw and Alan Jackson are great.

STeeLy
11-15-2011, 10:54 AM
BPCjC543llU&ob

Dion
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
bvBsr66h3sM&feature=related

rFRkH_3ZmbU

HSeeFpv0-o0

SuapCENFM2U

AINUPFbFpqg&feature=relmfu

FTBWiUkR69w&feature=related

fIdx1HSFWG8&feature=related

North East Goon
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Hank III

Sittler
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd have to respectfully disagree with the "Nashville" recommendations on here. Go back and listen to all the classics such as Hank Sr., J.C., Waylon, Merle, etc., etc.

As for current (real) country (not necessarily all fitting evenly within the genre) artists I'd recommend :
Scott H. Biram
Roger Alan Wade
Lucky Tubb
Hayes Carll
Caleb Klauder
Jayke Orvis
Dale Watson
Hank III (already mentioned)
Corb Lund (already mentioned)
Whitey Morgan and the 78's
Hellbound Glory
Deadstring Brothers
Those Poor B@st@rds
William Elliott Whitmore
Slim Cessna's Auto Club
Bob Wayne
Brent Amaker and the Rodeo
I Can Lick Any Son of a Bitch in the House
J.B. Everley
Justin Townes Earle
Joe Buck
Otis Gibb
Sally Timms
Sean Reefer and the Resin Valley Boys
etc., etc.

So many good artists doing right by country (or variations on it) and most of 'em aren't being played on so-called "country" radio. Bleh.

Free Ben Hur!
11-15-2011, 02:00 PM
One of the best country songs ever (well it's more rock-a-billy, truth be told, but we're talkin country music here so close enough) is Hot Dog by Led Zeppelin, track four of their 1980 album In Through The Out Door. ;)

troutman
11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Golden_Country_Greats

12 Golden Country Greats is Ween (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ween)'s fifth album, and third for Elektra Records (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektra_Records).
This album marked the first time Ween limited themselves to a specific genre of music. Bringing in a wide variety of seasoned (and sometimes legendary) Nashville musicians (including Charlie McCoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_McCoy)Buddy Spicher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Spicher), Bobby Ogdin (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bobby_Ogdin&action=edit&redlink=1) and The Jordanaires (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jordanaires)), the album sought to recreate the sound of golden-age country music with a great amount of success, while also combining this sound with classic Ween on such tracks as "Piss Up a Rope."

calumniate
11-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Cowpunk ftw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk

Local - Cowpuncher:

http://wepunchcows.com/

"New" Country sucks balls. It is made by a handful of session musicians in Nashville.

I'm not a huge fan honestly but the members of the band are hilarious! Worth taking a look for sure.

Machiavelli
11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I like Dierks Bentley too. My favorite song of his:

S9v_KgxOcu8&ob=av3e

Cowperson
11-19-2011, 11:14 AM
The usual names have been taken so I'll step off the beaten track a bit . . . .

Lyle Lovett's "The Road To Ensenanda" won Best Country Album grammy in 1997 and is a great one.

He free ranges from pure country to blues to bluegrass and is a great, great live performer. We saw him once at Carnegie Hall in New York, backed up by his Large Band and the Harlem Gospel Choir, a group which joins him on his "Church" video. And we've seen him a few times in San Antonio as well. The big hair is gone now . . .

Some of my favourite Lovett:

"In My Own Mind" - eloquently clever

77nOhTbwnHA

"Church" - pretty hilarious song about overlong sermons.

zZI0zO2TS1Y&feature=player_detailpage

"South Texas Girl" - the lady he's with at the end of the video is his wife and a lot of it is home video. A lingering ballad.

pNmnzwGT4Ic&feature=player_detailpage

From the late 80's, "She's No Lady"

4o3m1FwhusY&feature=player_detailpage

I also like some good Randy Travis once in a while but my favourite is very obscure: "A Horse Called Music" that's really a simple, raw display of his voice.

7J97dpEqsCo

And locally, I like Paul Brandt a lot . . . .

"Alberta Bound"

bhkcjxLCm8Y&feature=player_detailpage

"Small Towns, Big Dreams"

yJQu0GEtwQM&feature=player_detailpage

Sara Evans has had a tumultuous life but has now settled down into a mature, quality act that's getting a lot of appreciation these days. "A Little Bit Stronger" just had a nice run near the top of the charts and most know its a very personal song for her:

22zB6Soc2Gk&feature=player_detailpage

A toe-tapper is "Suds In The Bucket"

uJBwGmaLqTs&feature=player_detailpage

Toby Keith, Sugarland . . . . .

Cowperson

Dion
11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
-Fulz4ytZ54&feature=related

3tthIHXUsPs&feature=relmfu

JPxdgZytrUc&feature=fvsr

JW5UEW2kYvc&feature=relmfu

oS1NfjLkdSM&feature=related

uI7Ghu1FpnQ&feature=related

0dtCgYRrAUw&feature=related

Magnum PEI
11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I pretty much only listen to Canadian country.

Fred Eaglesmith is a legend. He's been putting out great albums for three decades.
R8BJvXtk8s4&feature=fvst

George Fox
TLmg7awntxE

John Bottomley (passed away this year)
vZpUdVsW1PA

vTZAGleWXnA&feature=related

And of course Corb Lund and Tim Huss who have already been mentioned.

18flames
11-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm really disappointed in this site right now, no mention of Garth Brooks but numerous mentions of The Zac Brown band, has everyone lost their taste in music?

MissTeeks
11-19-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm really disappointed in this site right now, no mention of Garth Brooks but numerous mentions of The Zac Brown band, has everyone lost their taste in music?

I saw Garth in Vegas last December. Best $250 ticket ever! Two hours of whatever he felt like singing and he was funny too.

drhu22
11-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Emmylou Harris really should be near the top of the list of artists to check out.

Start out with Profile: Best of Emmylou Harris for a taste of her early work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoWJFC_ock8&feature=grec_index

Magnum PEI
11-19-2011, 03:46 PM

THe thread is Recommend Some Country Music. I think most people know who Garth Brooks is. I had no clue who the Zac Brown band was, but I do now thanks to this thread.

MrMastodonFarm
11-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Nick 13

0vXfClmWQrg

7hz7aI1q8Pg

TurnedTheCorner
11-19-2011, 04:25 PM
According to my music library, you only need to add three country songs.

Mud On The Tires - Brad Paisley
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
Love Story - Taylor Swift.

You're welcome.

Oh, and automatically distrust anyone who is recommending any Toby Kieth song.

Dion
11-19-2011, 04:44 PM

I think it's a given that everyone knows who Garth Brooks is. Besides there's nothing wrong with exposing people to music they might not of heard ;)

zG1QokdY4NA&feature=related

Azure
11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Can't believe this thread went 3 pages without Jamey Johnson being mentioned.

PowerPlayoffs06
11-19-2011, 09:04 PM
VDsqEQ1Y9KY

The Goon
11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I will second the love for Sara Evans. Great voice, amazing rack.

Capitano
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I grew up and still love the old classic country...

A few of my favorites...

pE6DOo7vmU8

Song reminds me of my younger years, and my mom...Brings a tear to my eye.

QZEIXE5AWg8

And the most underrated of all classic country, is the young george jones...

hA31SZJBgy8

Here's another one that is just so catchy...

A4bo4ByFhLM

schteve_d
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Really diggin' this song right now:

1gX1EP6mG-E&ob=av3e

To Be Quite Honest
11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
eJGNBj09_VA

Joborule
11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the help again guys! Gotten through a bunch of them thus far.

saskflames69
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

bFOaDVQZs98

GreatWhiteEbola
06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
HWO_AIh8drk

_HpmlIDIXPs

7v4n3192qPM

9DkcQ09h2Vo

iICDCj-qOEU

Bonded
06-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Old Crow Medicine Show is awesome. Was going to post them but I was beat to it.
I leave Johnny Cash in return
U72ZRh4W8OU

Regular_John
06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
It's either gotta be old school (EG: Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton*) or else you've gotta be really drunk to enjoy country. Usually by the time I start nodding along to "I love this bar" I know it's time to down a water and go home cause I'm gonna be feeling it the next day.

*Screw you, Jolene is a heart breaker of a track. Emo bands wish they could dump that much emotion into a single tortured scream

Sopure
06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I've always loved the country music. I was the kid with the Randy Travis poster growing up.

Here's a few that I don't think have been mentioned.

Montgomery Gentry - Gone

Kip Moore - Somethin' bout a Truck

Blake Shelton - Playboys of the Southwestern World

Good luck in your country music search!

Senator Clay Davis
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats. Ween may not be a country band, but if every country artist made country music like Ween did on this album, I'd actually probably listen to country music. Hilarious lyrics in poor taste with great backing musicians.

Muffins
06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
9DkcQ09h2Vo

Big thumbs up for Dwight!

Don't listen to much country anymore (besides stampede) but here are some of my favorites
uNkF_ZpQ4eg
ym5aSOOKLqU
VdSvZ5jckWQ
NHxS8wlDngI

Dion
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
ONKL26605kQ&feature=related

PqcKbGC4T1s

Lt.Spears
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
7dtfBxUTXRY

Azure
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
JGEIcdYOuHo

Azure
06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
c9XEkDquXao

The Reverend
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I think punk music and country are one and the same, essentially. So my recommendations are a bit more eclectic:

The Sadies
Ernest Tubb
Mike Ness
Two Cow Garage
Brown Bird
Junior Brown - (a veritable guitar demon)
Me First & the Gimme Gimme's record, "Love their Country" - a mix of classic country covers.
Hank III's record "Ghost to a Ghost" can be strange to someone unfamiliar with his work but it's well worth the listen if you like your country with the requisite twang.

Puppet Guy
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
I like Ian Tyson:

jxschHVGFgo

kb1tcVxi34Y

Displaced Flames fan
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
"We have both kinds of music; County and Western!"

Displaced Flames fan
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
For mainstream country, I would recommend Dwight Yoakum.

If you want to get a little deeper though, try on some Split Lip Rayfield.

u2kDDkRyf6o

fDQIhW_hpA&feature=related

NfICI_Mais0&feature=related

cURQj0i5EHo

Displaced Flames fan
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks

The Mavericks were fantastic.

Rifleman
06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
I have made a Stampede mix every year since 2009. Mostly I just put on the best 100 country songs I can find. Here's some from last year which made it into my all time favorites.

Little Big Town - All The Way Down
Uncle Kracker (Feat. Kid Rock) - Good To Be Me
The Band Perry - Postcard From Paris
Kid Rock - Purple Sky
Sunny Sweeney - Skinny Dippin'
The Band Perry - All Your Life
Thompson Square - Getaway Car
One More Girl - Tumblin' Tears
Blake Shelton - Honey Bee
Taylor Swift - Mean
Dierks Bentley feat Sarah Buxton - Sweet & Wild
Zac Brown Band - Toes
Blake Shelton - Some Beach
Billy Currington - Love Done Gone
Steel Magnolia - Homespun Love
Billy Currington - All Day Long
Jewel - I Love You Forever
James Otto - Since You Brought It Up

Joborule
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I still haven't gotten around to checking out a bunch of these clips. Stampede is near though so good time to get around to it.

Prufrock
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Corb Lund, Corb Lund, Corb Lund aaaaand Corb Lund. Good Alberta boy, great songs.

EDIT: He's already been mentioned, I just thought I'd provide a friendly reminder :)